Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Longs Biggest Regret While At Arkansas

Started by gchamblee, June 02, 2017, 08:01:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Boarland

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 02, 2017, 12:45:04 pm
Recruiting territory.

A&M has all the ingredients necessary to win championships.

- Access and ability to recruit elite talent every cycle
- Passionate fan base
- Money

They just need the right coach. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2017, 12:00:13 pm
I was excited at that point.  A Beliemer.

That was supposed to be the launching pad for things to come. 

If His Hogs hadn't blown 2 non-conference games that they should have won, that would have been a really good season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 02, 2017, 12:02:08 pm
It looks like a middle of the SEC roster.
Upper middle or bottom middle? Middle of the road is finishing between 5th and 10th in the conference. I'm great with being the 5th best team this year but don't think it will happen
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

factchecker

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 02, 2017, 12:56:13 pm

- Passionate fan base
- Money

The access to talent can't be emphasized enough.

I would also add large alumni network to the passionate fan base.  They have a ton of alumni who pump $$$$$ into their school and athletic program.  Aggies might be weird but they more than make up for it with financial support.

They are passionate about their school and love their traditions.  I've never met an Aggie who crapped on their campus location or their on campus stadium.  They all stand up and do their weird chants, cheers, and calls without rolling their eyes.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 12:12:58 pm
in 2011 they got blown out by both bama and lsu ( the later after having taken a 14-0 lead ). See, I can pick and choose which games I want to refer to as well. The fact remains, in those 2 seasons the Hogs did not even sniff Atlanta.

Yep, but you insinuated that the Hogs were blown out both years which is false. They had only one big loss in 2010 and that was to Auburn, the eventual National Champions.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: GuvHog on June 02, 2017, 01:01:10 pm
If His Hogs hadn't blown 2 non-conference games that they should have won, that would have been a really good season.

But isn't that BB's M.O. at Arkansas now?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

navyhog24

So, John L. Smith and Jimmy Dykes are not bigger regrets or regrets at all?

Inhogswetrust

June 02, 2017, 01:09:30 pm #157 Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:19:57 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: gchamblee on June 02, 2017, 10:16:49 am
Because those more talented teams didn't have Robb Smith as their DC.

Yet if he was such a genius then his O should have overcome that. Keep digging.........that hole is only getting deeper.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BigE_23

Quote from: GuvHog on June 02, 2017, 01:06:26 pm
Yep, but you insinuated that the Hogs were blown out both years which is false. They had only one big loss in 2010 and that was to Auburn, the eventual National Champions.

And that game was aided by several TERRIBLE calls.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 02, 2017, 11:17:21 am
Well, granted he needs to improve wins/losses, but he has done better against bama, lsu and florida than CBP did. Academics are better under him than they have ever been under anyone. So, your cry of bottom feeder is just a bunch of hyperbole presented with the passion of a high school girl.

CBB and Petrino are both 2-2 against LSU as HCs at Arkansas
CBB and Petrino are both 0-4 against Bama as HCs at Arkansas
CBB did get a very nice win against Florida last season but that Gator team was no where close to the Gator teams Petrino's Hogs faced.

Wildhog

Quote from: BigE_23 on June 02, 2017, 01:10:08 pm
And that game was aided by several TERRIBLE calls.

I normally don't complain about officiating, but there are two exceptions:

Florida 2009
Auburn 2010
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Wildhog

Who can forget this Tebow first down that set up their game winning field goal?

I'm still mad about that game.  Auburn was nearly as bad.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 02, 2017, 10:28:23 am
This qualifies as the dumbest post in the thread so far!  Please give me your definition of competition, of sports, of sports fans.  WAKE UP!  Everyone above the level of pop warner and Church leagues play sports to WIN!  It's freakin college football in one of the best conferences in the world!  Of course all that matters is winning %!  UA is not an Ivy League school and 7-6 suck no matter what metric you use!

The PLAYERS are the one playing the game not the fans, so it is they who are playing to win. They are also playing to earn a college education and most know they will not sniff pro ball. We should be there to support them as a member of that team and a student. As an alum that knows quite a few former players well that's what I do. IF you want to argue with someone over you not thinking they are trying to win enough or not then take it up with them face to face in a back alley. I'd like to be there to see that.
What does being in the Ivy league or not have to do with it. Those teams players want to win for their school and fans just as much as any and all the other schools that do have a rooster full of athletic scholarship players. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bphi11ips

- Passionate fan base
- Money

Okay. But why does Arkansas hold a 41-29-2 series advantage even after losing five in a row? 

Even if you conclude "recruiting territory" means something different after integration, why has Arkansas dominated the Aggies since integration?

The integration of the SWC happened almost overnight.  In 1970 there were almost no black players, but by 1975 that was not the case.  Key players like Jerry Eckwood, Ike Forte, Dennis Winston, William Hampton, Leotis Harris, Donny Bobo, etc., were stars or on the roster by then.  Arkansas holds a 14-11 advantage over A&M since 1975, and a 14-6 advantage between 1975 and 2011.

Did joining the SEC help the Aggies that much?  Was it the expansion of the stadium?  Who knows, but recruiting territory can't be the only answer or A&M would have dominated the Hogs since integration, and that didn't happen.

I think A&M has been a media darling since the Aggies joined the SEC. Perception is reality, until it isn't.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Inhogswetrust

June 02, 2017, 01:18:58 pm #165 Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:37:38 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: rhames on June 02, 2017, 10:32:09 am

I don't disagree with what you're saying other than  the Urban part, but Long is kind of giving the people who hate him a little ammunition here. The ones who claim he just fired Robert to look good.

I just think there was a better way to answer it

I also bet, oh yeah I know it is another hypothetical, long wouldn't hire Muschamp over Petrino even if he knew how it would end.

All 12 of them.........................

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on June 02, 2017, 01:06:26 pm

Ok, in 3 of the 4 games they would have had to win to make it to atl, they got blown out 3 out of 4 times, and in the other blew a late lead at home to bama.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

- Passionate fan base
- Money

Your last sentence is true at ALL schools.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2017, 01:12:19 pm
I normally don't complain about officiating, but there are two exceptions:

Florida 2009
Auburn 2010
Florida 2009 I remember.  What happened in the Auburn 2010 game?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 12:12:58 pm
in 2011 they got blown out by both bama and lsu ( the later after having taken a 14-0 lead ). See, I can pick and choose which games I want to refer to as well. The fact remains, in those 2 seasons the Hogs did not even sniff Atlanta.

There must be a point here somewhere.  Petrino was 17-15 in conference in four years.  Bielema is 10-22.  Ah, yes, but the difference is that Bielema plays Alabama so much closer while Petrino got blown out.

In four years, Petrino's composite score against Alabama was 55-146, an average of 13.75 to 36.5.  Bielema's four year composite is 57-142, and average of 14.25 to 35.5.  Yeah, I can see how the "fact" that Bielema plays Bama so much better more than makes up for Petrino's conference and overall record blowing his out of the water.

hogsanity

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on June 02, 2017, 01:27:08 pm
Florida 2009 I remember.  What happened in the Auburn 2010 game?

hogs gave up 60+, but, as with every hog loss since time began, according to some it was all the refs fault.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 01:28:26 pm
hogs gave up 60+, but, as with every hog loss since time began, according to some it was all the refs fault.
Now I know why I don't remember that game.  I was driving to Yellowstone during the game.  That was when Mallet got knocked out of the game and young Tyler Wilson made his debut, no?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 02, 2017, 01:27:37 pm
There must be a point here somewhere.  Petrino was 17-15 in conference in four years.  Bielema is 10-22.  Ah, yes, but the difference is that Bielema plays Alabama so much closer while Petrino got blown out.

In four years, Petrino's composite score against Alabama was 55-146, an average of 13.75 to 36.5.  Bielema's four year composite is 57-142, and average of 14.25 to 35.5.  Yeah, I can see how the "fact" that Bielema plays Bama so much better more than makes up for Petrino's conference and overall record blowing his out of the water.

where did I or anyone say BB plays Bama better.  My point is that BP was, in reality, not as close to winning the secw as people like to portray.

But, in the larger context, the numbers that were originally brought up just had to do with the program, as a whole, since they entered the sec. 6.68 wins per year, a .550 win %, and a overall all time program win % of .570.

Wildhog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on June 02, 2017, 01:30:40 pm
Now I know why I don't remember that game.  I was driving to Yellowstone during the game.  That was when Mallet got knocked out of the game and young Tyler Wilson made his debut, no?

Yes.  Nick Fairley cheap shot.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on June 02, 2017, 01:30:40 pm

Yep, and he played very well.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 01:28:26 pm

Uh, the officiating in that game was an abomination.  I'm sorry if that doesn't fit your narrative, but it's true.  It's one of only two games I ever complain about.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

Some of the most idiotic people in the world are Arkansas fans...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 02, 2017, 01:17:17 pm
Okay. But why does Arkansas hold a 41-29-2 series advantage even after losing five in a row? 

Even if you conclude "recruiting territory" means something different after integration, why has Arkansas dominated the Aggies since integration?

The integration of the SWC happened almost overnight.  In 1970 there were almost no black players, but by 1975 that was not the case.  Key players like Jerry Eckwood, Ike Forte, Dennis Winston, William Hampton, Leotis Harris, Donny Bobo, etc., were stars or on the roster by then.  Arkansas holds a 14-11 advantage over A&M since 1975, and a 14-6 advantage between 1975 and 2011.

Did joining the SEC help the Aggies that much?  Was it the expansion of the stadium?  Who knows, but recruiting territory can't be the only answer or A&M would have dominated the Hogs since integration, and that didn't happen.

I think A&M has been a media darling since the Aggies joined the SEC. Perception is reality, until it isn't.

All good points and facts. As far as being a media darling I'm thinking it is because there are a lot of aggies and extended family of aggies out there. It's a very large school and has a lot of alums that are passionate as you know. That and being in a large population state that has a LOT of TV sets and viewers that love football. In other words a ratings bonanza for the broadcast media which in turn means a lot to print media.

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on June 02, 2017, 01:33:24 pm

We definitely have our fair share.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Deep Shoat on June 02, 2017, 01:33:24 pm

You must not know any Aggies or corndoggers........................

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2017, 01:34:39 pm
We definitely have our fair share.

With you and others, more than our share.....................

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2017, 01:32:42 pm
Uh, the officiating in that game was an abomination.  I'm sorry if that doesn't fit your narrative, but it's true.  It's one of only two games I ever complain about.

if we did not hear that about every loss it might carry more weight. We had people complaining about the refs during the Auburn game last season.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2017, 08:26:14 am
I hate that he regrets winning all those games.  Hopefully all this mediocrity will help him recover from it.

I doubt he regrets any such thing. Petrino has never been anywhere longer than four years.  He never made it to his 5th at Arkansas.

He jumped out of Louisville the first time after four years. 

He bailed on Atlanta after one.

He was at WKU for a cup of coffee...

He's back at Louisville for a 2nd stint and 2017 is his fourth year.  Jurich should be getting ready to replace him after this year because he will go to the best next job out there after his QB declares for the draft.

The guy is a POS...

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 01:36:50 pm
if we did not hear that about every loss it might carry more weight. We had people complaining about the refs during the Auburn game last season.

I haven't complained about officiating since Auburn 2010.  I could give a damn what others complain about.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 02, 2017, 01:36:45 pm
With you and others, more than our share.....................

Well that's not nice.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 01:36:50 pm

There is not one fanbase on the planet for any team in any sport that doesn't have some fans complaining about the officiating all the time.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

hobhog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on June 02, 2017, 01:37:16 pm
I doubt he regrets any such thing. Petrino has never been anywhere longer than four years.  He never made it to his 5th at Arkansas.

He's back at Louisville for a 2nd stint and 2017 is his fourth year.  Jurich should be getting ready to replace him after this year because he will go to the best next job out there after his QB declares for the draft.

The guy is a POS...

Word....

Al Boarland

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 02, 2017, 01:25:05 pm
Your last sentence is true at ALL schools.

That's true. If Nick Saban left Alabama after all he's accomplished I think he could most likely bring home a title. Mostly because he could convince elite players to some to the UofA.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 09:26:52 am
25 seasons, 306 games played, 167 games won, win% of .55.

Oddly enough, that's who we are.
This is my non-signature signature.

hogsanity

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on June 02, 2017, 02:05:00 pm

yet some think we should be a 8+ win a year program, based on what I have no idea when they have 100+ years to look at.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on June 02, 2017, 02:05:00 pm
Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 16, 2017, 12:00:58 pm
Close....but probably not most....

Hogs Final AP ranking - all time
1936 - 18th
1937 - 14th
1946 - 16th
1954 - 10th
1959 - 9th
1960 - 7th
1961- 9th
1962 - 6th
1964 - 2nd
1965 - 3rd
1968 - 6th
1969 - 7th
1970 - 11th
1971 - 16th
1975 - 7th
1977 - 3rd
1978 - 11th
1979 - 8th
1982 - 9th
1985 - 12th
1986 - 15th
1988 - 12th
1989 - 13th
1998 - 16th
1999 - 17th
2006 - 15th
2010 - 12th
2011 - 5th

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 21, 2016, 10:03:11 am
1909, 1910, 1913, 1914, 1915, 1917, 1923, 1924, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1937, 1959, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1988, 1989, 2011 are the only seasons (that's 29 seasons out of 122 seasons (24%) total since program inception) that Arkansas experienced only 1, 2, or no losses in that season.    We had a long draught between 1937 - 1959 and from 1989 - 2011...   Simply put, Arkansas Razorbacks, on average, sniff the top of the pile once every 4 years.....

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 01, 2016, 02:59:39 pm
Bama will get down again but we will have to wait a while as....

Bama has had only 11 losing seasons (91% winning season record overall) in there entire 124 year history of fielding a football program - 0 winless seasons......
The Razorbacks have had 33 losing seasons (73% winning season record overall) in their entire 122 year history of fielding a football program - 0 winless seasons.........

the rest......
Texas A&M has had 33 losing seasons (73% winning season record overall) in their entire 122 year history of fielding a football program - 1 winless season.........
LSU has had 26 losing seasons (79% winning season record overall) in their entire 123 year history of fielding a football program - 1 winless season.........
Auburn has had 28 losing seasons (77% winning season record overall) in their entire 122 year history of fielding a football program - 3 winless seasons.........
Ol' Miss has had 44 losing seasons (64% winning season record overall) in their entire 123 year history of fielding a football program - 3 winless seasons.........
Miss State has had 50 losing seasons (55% winning season record overall) in their entire 112 year history of fielding a football program - 2 winless seasons.........

Quote from: DLUXHOG on November 29, 2016, 09:58:51 am
I agree but ya'll do realize that since Broyles came the Hogs have averaged (from Broyles in to date) a season record of 7-4
The Hogs average season record from the inception of the program (1894 to Broyles - 1957) the Hogs average season record was 4-4
Since Petrino left the Hogs have averaged a season record of 6 - 7

Other than a very few shining and stunning years (1909, 1964, 1965, 1968, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1988, 1989, 2006, 2010, and 2011), the Hogs have been no where near the top of the food chain................ I'm not saying that the Hogs should settle for 7 - 5 season records and should lower their expectations, but I am saying that history doesn't prove that the Hogs have sniffed the top but once or twice every few years, and then only since 1964......   In other words, "'Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."

am I being redundant?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 02:36:41 pm
yet some think we should be a 8+ win a year program, based on what I have no idea when they have 100+ years to look at.

Apparently the 3rd standard deviation suddenly became the mean a few years ago. Common Core?
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on June 02, 2017, 01:37:16 pm

With an 11 Million dollar buyout ??? I seriously doubt it. The only way he leaves Louisville anytime soon is if he's fired for cause.

phadedhawg

Yep, Bobby Petrino, is very fortunate to have landed on his feet after two scandals.  One that would have ended most coaching careers and another that tarnished him as faithless.  Heck I guess both scandals kinda point towards faithlessness LOL

He will stay at Louisville for some time to come if for nothing else, to put some distance between him and that ditch and to live down his reputation of a job hopper. 

RazorWest

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 02:36:41 pm

I think I've shown you that since we've gone to 12 games a year we are an 8 win average team before Bielama.  Please stop downgrading our program to fit your trolling

EastexHawg

Quote from: RazorWest on June 02, 2017, 03:20:49 pm
I think I've shown you that since we've gone to 12 games a year we are an 8 win average team before Bielama.  Please stop downgrading our program to fit your trolling

Here are Arkansas' win totals for each season in which 12 regular season games were played:

Only eleven regular season games were played in 2004 and 2005.  Even including Smiley Smith's disastrous 2012 season, 74 wins in 9 seasons = 8.22 wins per year on average.  We won nine or more games five times in nine years.

25 divided by 4 = 6.25

hogsanity

Quote from: RazorWest on June 02, 2017, 03:20:49 pm

actually it is 7.62, and that is 13 seasons out the 25 in the sec.

How is presenting hard numbers, with not editorializing either downgrading the program or trolling?

RazorWest

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 02, 2017, 03:40:30 pm
Here are Arkansas' win totals for each season in which 12 regular season games were played:

Only eleven regular season games were played in 2004 and 2005.  Even including Smiley Smith's disastrous 2012 season, 74 wins in 9 seasons = 8.22 wins per year on average.  We won nine or more games five times in nine years.

25 divided by 4 = 6.25

Thank you, Hogsanity will ignore it though

RazorWest

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 03:40:57 pm
actually it is 7.62, and that is 13 seasons out the 25 in the sec.

How is presenting hard numbers, with not editorializing either downgrading the program or trolling?

Come on man, it's only 7.62 when you add the Bielama years in it to bring the average down.  Take away his first year and his average isn't that far below Arkansas average.  My problem with you, is you don't want to admit that Arkansas is not a terrible program that can only average 6 wins.  You've been shown over and over that's not the case but you still keep firing away.