Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The biggest team weakness on offense should be glaringly obvious.

Started by Killean, January 01, 2016, 01:11:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Killean

Our single biggest weakness on offense is lack of a quality lead blocker. 

Under Bielema:

2015: 470 carries, 2,311 yards, 4.9 ypc, 26 TD
2014: 557 carries, 2,834 yards, 5.1 ypc, 31 TD
2013: 474 carries, 2,504 yards, 5.3 ypc, 14 TD

Our best rushing year per carry was 2013.  Our offensive line was young, but what was the difference?  Kiero Small.  2014, despite RBs improving, the line improving and everything else improving, the ypc was still down.  2015 trading Jwill for Kody hurt the ypc as well.

The single biggest improvement we could make is getting a quality fullback and having him lead block for plays.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Killean on January 01, 2016, 01:11:24 pm
Our single biggest weakness on offense is lack of a quality lead blocker. 

Under Bielema:

2015: 470 carries, 2,311 yards, 4.9 ypc, 26 TD
2014: 557 carries, 2,834 yards, 5.1 ypc, 31 TD
2013: 474 carries, 2,504 yards, 5.3 ypc, 14 TD

Our best rushing year per carry was 2013.  Our offensive line was young, but what was the difference?  Kiero Small.  2014, despite RBs improving, the line improving and everything else improving, the ypc was still down.  2015 trading Jwill for Kody hurt the ypc as well.

The single biggest improvement we could make is getting a quality fullback and having him lead block for plays.

I'm not sure you can zero in on that as our biggest offensive weakness when we saw a greater meshing of the rushing offense with a solid pass offense this year, which we not only hadn't had previously, but with greater success, took potential carries away from the offense in rushing.

I will say however that I do agree that we need a really solid FB along the lines of a Kiero Small to lead these RB's. He was worth his weight in gold. An unselfish player who was less concerned about carries/yardage/receptions and more concerned about his contribution to the team.
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

For a smash mouth coach BB has a glaring lack of FBs and LBers.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

I agree we need the fullback.
I also think Chaney's playbook may have had more effective and diverse running plays..
So, some of the drop off may not all be due to missing a good fullback and losing JWill.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

BatesvilleHOG

We're solid at the FB position going into next season.. Got a promising true FB from right under Mizzou's nose. Plus we will have Cantrell back from injury and Kody Walker getting reps there when he's not toting the rock in short yardage situations.

Oklahawg

Rubbish.

Compare conference rushing effort each year and you get a totally different story.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

duckman

BearsBisonsBoars

I think Walker would have been this guy had JWill stayed healthy.

Killean

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 01, 2016, 02:10:48 pm
Rubbish.

Compare conference rushing effort each year and you get a totally different story.

We lost 2 non-conference games this year.. so non-conference might matter.

We had a worse percentage in non-conference than in conference games.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

AirForceHog

Over 2300 yards rushing in the last 3 years and the lead blocker is the questionable spot?
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Laughing Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2016, 01:37:30 pm
I'm not sure you can zero in on that as our biggest offensive weakness when we saw a greater meshing of the rushing offense with a solid pass offense this year, which we not only hadn't had previously, but with greater success, took potential carries away from the offense in rushing.

I will say however that I do agree that we need a really solid FB along the lines of a Kiero Small to lead these RB's. He was worth his weight in gold. An unselfish player who was less concerned about carries/yardage/receptions and more concerned about his contribution to the team.

That would be a lot of gold, dude is a load, specially for his height.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Laughing Hog on January 01, 2016, 02:30:49 pm
That would be a lot of gold, dude is a load, specially for his height.

$3,777,048.92, to be specific.

(His listed 244lbs, and the current gold price of 1061.49/toz)

Arkansas Fan

I said after the Toledo loss not having a fullback will hurt us.

Laughing Hog

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 01, 2016, 03:02:13 pm
$3,777,048.92, to be specific.

(His listed 244lbs, and the current gold price of 1061.49/toz)

I'm sure he'd take it.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

redeye

Right or wrong, I don't think everyone was stacking the line against us in 2013.  We'd been having success throwing the ball and they had no interest in making us pass to beat them, as they have done the last couple of years.