Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trey Dickerson Updated (2014 Basketball)

Started by -Blu, February 18, 2014, 11:18:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting 24m
Arkansas (Mike Anderson) will be in to see Trey Dickerson of Williston State on Thursday.

I believe this will be the 3rd visit now that we've gone to see Dickerson.  First, time I've seen them say specifically it would be coach Anderson doing the visit.  I wonder with the recent Willie Atwood offer, are we going after Dickerson a little harder now, because both Dickerson and Atwood have stated they would like to go to the same school. 

Kevin

juco point, i guess somebody my be leaving. seems like a player
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

CDBHawg

Quote from: Kevin on February 18, 2014, 11:22:47 am
juco point, i guess somebody my be leaving. seems like a player

Only have three signed. We have four scholarships available.

The_Iceman

Trey seems to be favoring other schools than Arkansas. If he was able to land him, that would be a great recruiting job by Anderson. Excellent slasher and distributor, but his jump shot isn't strong.

Trey Dickerson is a 4-star on 24/7 and is a Top 10 JUCO player:
http://247sports.com/Player/Trey-Dickerson-19129

dsims2k3

Quote from: -Blu on February 18, 2014, 11:18:32 am
Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting 24m
Arkansas (Mike Anderson) will be in to see Trey Dickerson of Williston State on Thursday.

I believe this will be the 3rd visit now that we've gone to see Dickerson.  First, time I've seen them say specifically it would be coach Anderson doing the visit.  I wonder with the recent Willie Atwood offer, are we going after Dickerson a little harder now, because both Dickerson and Atwood have stated they would like to go to the same school.
Great stuff, +1
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

The_Iceman

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 18, 2014, 11:35:49 am
Trey seems to be favoring other schools than Arkansas. If he was able to land him, that would be a great recruiting job by Anderson. Excellent slasher and distributor, but his jump shot isn't strong.

We may not be as far behind as you think.  We were recruiting him last year as well, and were in his top 3 schools then.  So, I'm sure he's really familiar and comfortable with the staff.  Also, the biggest thing is Willie Atwood.  Trey has been very vocal about wanting to go to the same school as Atwood, he even stated they talk everyday about recruitment and said it's 100% that they will be going to the same school. So, the key here may be getting Atwood, and we get them in a package deal. 

And some more info about Atwood, he played AAU with Portis and Kingsley, and we know how good of a recruiter Portis is.

Here's the hogville thread discussing Trey Dickerson last year when we were recruiting him.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=536415.0

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on February 18, 2014, 12:09:03 pm
We may not be as far behind as you think.  We were recruiting him last year as well, and were in his top 3 schools then.  So, I'm sure he's really familiar and comfortable with the staff.  Also, the biggest thing is Willie Atwood.  Trey has been very vocal about wanting to go to the same school as Atwood, he even stated they talk everyday about recruitment and said it's 100% that they will be going to the same school. So, the key here may be getting Atwood, and we get them in a package deal. 

And some more info about Atwood, he played AAU with Portis and Kingsley, and we know how good of a recruiter Portis is.

Here's the hogville thread discussing Trey Dickerson last year when we were recruiting him.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=536415.0

Didnt know Atwood played with Portis and Kingsley. That's some interesting notes.
We will be in very good share if we replace:

Clarke, Gulley, Kikko, Wade, Scott, and one current player

with

Atwood, Miles, Beard, Babb, Thompson, Dickerson

The_Iceman

February 18, 2014, 02:58:44 pm #8 Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:17:07 pm by The_Iceman
Fairly recent:
http://iowa.247sports.com/Article/JUCO-PG-Trey-Dickerson-Names-3-Favorites-177291

"I like them (Iowa), UAB and Nebraska the most," Dickerson said."

Hopefully our visit will lead to an offer and that will change his list.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 18, 2014, 02:58:44 pm
Fairly recent:
http://iowa.247sports.com/Article/JUCO-PG-Trey-Dickerson-Names-3-Favorites-177291

"I like them (Iowa), UAB and Nebraska the most," Dickerson said."

Hopefully our visit will lead to an offer and that will change his list.

I'm sure an offer and Willie Atwood showing heavy interest in Arkansas would change his mind.  Right now you have to figure Iowa is the favorite to get the package deal.  I just checked out their twitter page earlier and Iowa fans are all over them, and I can see why, their recruits they have brought in lately have been less than stellar, I'm surprised they've had as much success as they've had.

Also, while an Atwood/Dickerson combination would be nice, I'm really wanting to get Devaughn Purcell, he's a guy that's playing in the same system we do now and excelling in it.  He's shooting  43% from the 3 point line, 57% from the field, 72% from the FT line, and he's a guy that can really create his shot and get to the basket.  He's everything we need in a guard right now.

My dream scenario to finish this class out would be an Atwood/Purcell combo, my second option would be an Atwood/Dickerson combo, and if that wasn't possible just getting Purcell would be a good pickup in my opinion, because we have front court players.

Imagine this lineup...

Beard/Babb
Madden/Purcell/Bell
Qualls/Williams/Miles
Harris/Atwood
Portis/Kingsley/Thompson

That's a significant upgrade from this year, we would have a really good second unit.

nwahogfan1

We need more offensive open court type players.  We signed Babb and Anton in the fall that will be perfect for CMA system but we need more.  I hope Coach can sign this kid plus the Atwood kid and even though neither are probable rated high because they are JUCO player this would be a very good class. 

Fills our needs very well.

The_Iceman

I like the idea of having two PGs like Dickerson and Beard. Trey's experience would allow Anton to be brought along a little slower instead of being thrown right into the starting spot. If all you have is Beard, I think Madden will be put in that role again, which I don't think best suits this team.

A speedy guard like Trey is exactly what we need. He can drive the lane and distribute to Qualls, Portis, Madden, etc. Most of our guys are catch and shoot, catch and finish type players...which work best with a distributing PG.

mhuff

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2014, 12:25:01 pm
I like the idea of having two PGs like Dickerson and Beard. Trey's experience would allow Anton to be brought along a little slower instead of being thrown right into the starting spot. If all you have is Beard, I think Madden will be put in that role again, which I don't think best suits this team.

A speedy guard like Trey is exactly what we need. He can drive the lane and distribute to Qualls, Portis, Madden, etc. Most of our guys are catch and shoot, catch and finish type players...which work best with a distributing PG.

+1
Singing to the choir

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on February 18, 2014, 06:18:24 pm
I'm sure an offer and Willie Atwood showing heavy interest in Arkansas would change his mind.  Right now you have to figure Iowa is the favorite to get the package deal.  I just checked out their twitter page earlier and Iowa fans are all over them, and I can see why, their recruits they have brought in lately have been less than stellar, I'm surprised they've had as much success as they've had.

Also, while an Atwood/Dickerson combination would be nice, I'm really wanting to get Devaughn Purcell, he's a guy that's playing in the same system we do now and excelling in it.  He's shooting  43% from the 3 point line, 57% from the field, 72% from the FT line, and he's a guy that can really create his shot and get to the basket.  He's everything we need in a guard right now.

My dream scenario to finish this class out would be an Atwood/Purcell combo, my second option would be an Atwood/Dickerson combo, and if that wasn't possible just getting Purcell would be a good pickup in my opinion, because we have front court players.

Imagine this lineup...

Beard/Babb
Madden/Purcell/Bell
Qualls/Williams/Miles
Harris/Atwood
Portis/Kingsley/Thompson

That's a significant upgrade from this year, we would have a really good second unit.

+1
Good info thx

The_Iceman

RD posted we plan to do an in home visit with him. I expect us to offer him officially then.

Trey is not going to commit until after the season.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2014, 05:15:29 pm
RD posted we plan to do an in home visit with him. I expect us to offer him officially then.

Trey is not going to commit until after the season.

Yea, it's a good assumption that Trey will get an offer from us.  After our visit with him yesterday, we climbed up his list.  Looks like the staff is going all out to get the Atwood/Dickerson combo.  This would be beyond huge get for us.

Good thing about Trey Dickerson also is he has 3 years.  This even gives us a little bit of a cushion if in the 2015 class, if we don't get a King McClure or a Kevaughn Allen.

The_Bionic_Pig

This is all coach Watkins...he has had a fantastic relationship with Trey for a number of yrs.  I would be shocked if he didn't end up in Fayetteville along with Scott Edgar delivering Mr. Atwood.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

ballinhog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 21, 2014, 06:04:40 pm
This is all coach Watkins...he has had a fantastic relationship with Trey for a number of yrs.  I would be shocked if he didn't end up in Fayetteville along with Scott Edgar delivering Mr. Atwood.

I'm very hopeful for Atwood and Dickerson but I really really want Purcell. Wish there was a way we could take Dickerson and Purcell.

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 21, 2014, 06:04:40 pm
I think Edgar coaches Purcell and not Atwood.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 21, 2014, 06:49:25 pm
I think Edgar coaches Purcell and not Atwood.

Thanks Swinesong....you are correct +1
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

CDBHawg

Purcell, Atwood, Dickerson.

Would take all three.

Scott7703

Quote from: CDBHawg on February 21, 2014, 07:49:56 pm
Purcell, Atwood, Dickerson.

Would take all three.

Is there that much room in the inn?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 21, 2014, 08:15:58 pm

Get rid of Wagner and Bell/Williams, then yes.

jjdlc

Retweeted by Richard Davenport
Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting  10m
Arkansas has offered Trey Dickerson (6-1/PG/2014) of Williston State.

Looks like he got the offer.  Hopefully we get him,  Purcell would be a nice add too, we'll just have to see how things play out.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 21, 2014, 08:15:58 pm

No, but then again, we only have 4 scholarships(Scott, Wade, Gulley, Clarke) opening up and we have signed three and are looking to sign at least two more.

So, that puts us one over. Might as well grab another guy and make changes accordingly.

The_Bionic_Pig

Dudley is saying (2) at the most because 3 would be dipping into the 2015 class of scholarships.   
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

onebadrubi

Quote from: CDBHawg on February 21, 2014, 10:28:08 pm
No, but then again, we only have 4 scholarships(Scott, Wade, Gulley, Clarke) opening up and we have signed three and are looking to sign at least two more.

So, that puts us one over. Might as well grab another guy and make changes accordingly.

What about Watkins going from scholarship to walk on?  Then only one player gets the boot?

-Blu

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 22, 2014, 10:22:09 am
What about Watkins going from scholarship to walk on?  Then only one player gets the boot?

That's highly doubtful.  His dad is on staff he gets 50% off tuition and he makes a pretty nice salary.  Wouldn't make much sense to give a guy that's going to be your 13th or 14th man a scholarship in that situation.

onebadrubi

Quote from: -Blu on February 22, 2014, 10:34:00 am
That's highly doubtful.  His dad is on staff he gets 50% off tuition and he makes a pretty nice salary.  Wouldn't make much sense to give a guy that's going to be your 13th or 14th man a scholarship in that situation.

I think you misunderstood me, in which I may be misinformed.
I believe Watkins is on scholarship now, so I'm
Saying could we see that scholarship pulled?

The_Iceman

February 22, 2014, 10:57:01 am #29 Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:35:54 pm by The_Iceman
Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 22, 2014, 09:09:03 am
Dudley is saying (2) at the most because 3 would be dipping into the 2015 class of scholarships.   

Going into next year, we for sure have:

Guards (5) - Madden, Beard, Babb, Bell, Wagner
Forwards (4) - Qualls, Harris, Williams, Miles
Posts (3) - Portis, Kingsley, Thompson

So as of right now, we only have room to add one more juco. If we take commits from both Atwood and Dickerson, then someone like Wagner, Williams, or Bell is probably gone.

In 2015, we will be losing Madden and Harris...possibly Portis. That will be a big blow to us. Leaving us with 2 or 3 scholarships if no one else leaves after the 2014-2015 season. Let's assume we add those two JUCOs and lose Wagner, that leaves us with this for the 2015 year:

Guards (4) - Dickerson, Beard, Babb, Bell
Forwards (4) - Qualls, Atwood, Williams, Miles
Posts (2/3) - Portis (if he doesn't leave), Kingsley, Thompson

So, the 2015 class will have either 2 or 3 scholarships. The scary this is after the 2015 season, we will be losing Atwood, Bell, Qualls, Williams, Miles, and probably Portis if he isn't gone. That's gonna hurt.

yraciv

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 22, 2014, 10:47:34 am
I think you misunderstood me, in which I may be misinformed.
I believe Watkins is on scholarship now, so I'm
Saying could we see that scholarship pulled?

Watkins is a walkon, and like Blu said already gets a pretty cushy deal with dad being employed by the university.

onebadrubi

Quote from: yraciv on February 22, 2014, 01:37:48 pm
Watkins is a walkon, and like Blu said already gets a pretty cushy deal with dad being employed by the university.

Oh ok.  For some reason I was thinking he was gifted a scholarship late. 

CDBHawg

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 22, 2014, 09:09:03 am

So is two.

The_Iceman

February 22, 2014, 02:35:08 pm #33 Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:47:17 pm by The_Iceman
Quote from: CDBHawg on February 22, 2014, 02:27:23 pm
So is two.

If you add Dickerson and Atwood, you'll have to drop a player from this years roster. That player will likely come from the group of Wagner/Bell/Williams. Since those guys will be Juniors next year, you are just essentially swapping them out (although Dickerson has 3 years to play I think).

If you at those two, you'll have a 2015 roster of:

That gives you either 2 or 3 scholarships to give out. You never know by then if someone like Bell or Williams may decide to transfer to a non-D1 school to get some big minutes their senior year and score a bunch. Like coaches say, it will all work itself out.

CDBHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 22, 2014, 02:35:08 pm
If you add Dickerson and Atwood, you'll have to drop a player from this years roster. That player will likely come from the group of Wagner/Bell/Williams. Since those guys will be Juniors next year, you are just essentially swapping them out (although Dickerson has 3 years to play I think).

If you at those two, you'll have a 2015 roster of:

That gives you either 2 or 3 scholarships to give out. You never know by then if someone like Bell or Williams may decide to transfer to a non-D1 school to get some big minutes their senior year and score a bunch. Like coaches say, it will all work itself out.

Yeah, I know. If we sign more than one, we have to cut someone loose.

Whoever we sign, will be here for the 2015 season.

The_Iceman

Today's game is a perfect example of why you need Dickerson. A guy like him would be so valuable at the end of the game.

RazorAg

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 22, 2014, 05:44:39 pm
Today's game is a perfect example of why you need Dickerson. A guy like him would be so valuable at the end of the game.

How do we know he's that good?  I know I don't.

-Blu

Quote from: RazorAg on February 22, 2014, 06:13:01 pm
How do we know he's that good?  I know I don't.

Guess we're hoping he's that good.  But, I've seen a few people on other boards post the scenarios of starters if we get the atwood/dickerson combo and guys were starting Dickerson over Beard.  I think that's very unlikely, I expect Anton Beard to come in and have the most impact on any of the newcomers for 14/15.  When I look at Atwood and Dickerson, my hope is this are 2 guys that can come in off the bench and provide energy and not much of a let down from the starters.

I would think a good first year stats for them would be...

Dickerson 6PPG, 3APG, 70+ FT%, 30+3P%, 16MPG
Atwood 8PPG, 5RPG, 70+FT%, 47%+ FG%, 18MPG

If those guys can come in and get stats similar to that, that would be a home run for us.  We got our "Key" players in Madden, Qualls, Portis, and I believe Kingsley will be in that list next year, I would predict he's a starter for us next year. We just need some solid role players off the bench that can keep production up.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on February 22, 2014, 06:35:52 pm
Guess we're hoping he's that good.  But, I've seen a few people on other boards post the scenarios of starters if we get the atwood/dickerson combo and guys were starting Dickerson over Beard.  I think that's very unlikely, I expect Anton Beard to come in and have the most impact on any of the newcomers for 14/15.  When I look at Atwood and Dickerson, my hope is this are 2 guys that can come in off the bench and provide energy and not much of a let down from the starters.

I would think a good first year stats for them would be...

Dickerson 6PPG, 3APG, 70+ FT%, 30+3P%, 16MPG
Atwood 8PPG, 5RPG, 70+FT%, 47%+ FG%, 18MPG

If those guys can come in and get stats similar to that, that would be a home run for us.  We got our "Key" players in Madden, Qualls, Portis, and I believe Kingsley will be in that list next year, I would predict he's a starter for us next year. We just need some solid role players off the bench that can keep production up.

If we add Dickerson, I would like to see him split minutes 20/20 with Beard to start with. Dickerson has a little more seasoning, and Mike usually likes to bring freshmen along slowly off the bench (Portis is the exception), so that's why I usually project Dickerson as a "starter".

Beard is a solid player too. Both he and Dickerson would help at the end of games with their ballhandling and ability to penetrate the lane. Having guys like that will help stop those long droughts because they can get the other key players easy looks.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 22, 2014, 06:51:25 pm
If we add Dickerson, I would like to see him split minutes 20/20 with Beard to start with.

Apparently that's the pitch he has been giving.  I just see Beard as a better player and getting more minutes.  Maybe it's because I've seen more film on him. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on February 22, 2014, 06:59:54 pm
Apparently that's the pitch he has been giving.  I just see Beard as a better player and getting more minutes.  Maybe it's because I've seen more film on him. 

There is 14 minutes of film on Dickerson on youtube. Of course its all highlights, but you can get a feel for the type of player he is.

One of the things that stands out to me is his pure speed and quickness. If he gets the ball in the open floor on a fast break, he is going to blow by most people. But what I also like is his first look seems to be to pass it, which works great for us because we have so many weapons.

Beard seems more like one of those calculating PG's, which I also love. He is going to use positioning and angles to get his shots off. We saw some of the Miss State guys that are about his size do the same thing today. Regardless, this team will be better next year if we have both of those guys on the roster.

VT HOG

Dickerson and Atwood would be a home run for us.

mbgrulz

The real Hogules

Quote from: -Blu on February 22, 2014, 06:59:54 pm

Beard has played the SG position for most of his HS career, so there's bound to be "a little" adjustment when he moves up to the college level.

I really like the idea of getting a seasoned vetern PG to come in and be able to carry some of the load as Beard grows into the PG position.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

ricepig

Quote from: The real Hogules on February 23, 2014, 12:48:04 pm
Beard has played the SG position for most of his HS career, so there's bound to be "a little" adjustment when he moves up to the college level.

I really like the idea of getting a seasoned vetern PG to come in and be able to carry some of the load as Beard grows into the PG position.

He's handling the ball 90% of the time for NLR, I think he'll be fine.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ricepig on February 23, 2014, 01:13:22 pm

Lower that %. K.J. Hill and especially KeVaughn Allen handle the ball as well. KeVaughn actually handles it quite a bit.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 23, 2014, 01:16:15 pm
Lower that %. K.J. Hill and especially KeVaughn Allen handle the ball as well. KeVaughn actually handles it quite a bit.

How many of their games have you watched? The ones I've seen, when they set up an offense, or look to run, the ball is in Beard's hand. Allen or Hill will take people off the dribble, but when Rice wants to set up a play, it seems most of the time to start with Beard.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ricepig on February 23, 2014, 01:13:22 pm

Right, he is the primary PG distributing to K.Allen, A.Moore, and KJ Hill. His adjustment will be more to the competition, not his position.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ricepig on February 23, 2014, 01:20:54 pm
How many of their games have you watched? The ones I've seen, when they set up an offense, or look to run, the ball is in Beard's hand. Allen or Hill will take people off the dribble, but when Rice wants to set up a play, it seems most of the time to start with Beard.

A lot. Like, the all the home games.

Beard is the primary ball-handler, no doubt. 90%? Waay off.

The real Hogules

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 23, 2014, 01:21:28 pm
Right, he is the primary PG distributing to K.Allen, A.Moore, and KJ Hill. His adjustment will be more to the competition, not his position.

My point was that the speed of the game and the level of competition are going to rise considerably and there will be an adjustment period.

Passes that he's connecting on at the "HS" level won't be nearly as effective on a college basketball court.

I'm definitely not saying that Beard can't/won't be a quality PG, but there's a HUGE difference in playing on basically a HS all-star team that is head and shoulders better than most of the teams that they'll face and playing on the college level where every opponent has similar talent.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!