Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ok the NCAA tournament links/tweets thread

Started by checkraiser88, March 08, 2014, 05:54:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

Lets put all tweets/links related to the Hogs chances of making the tournament in here. With the loss today it is getting down to the wire and I want to know what Lunardi and all these guys are thinking at the moment.

Danny J

k.c.hawg

Jerry Palm has had us in and seeded higher than Lunardi. Here he is on twitter a while ago after our game.

Ugly loss at a bad time, but not necessarily fatal RT @jlcurtis01: everyone wants your opinion on the Hogs..
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

-Blu

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 1h
Two bubble teams getting blown out ---- Arkansas and Missouri. Not good timing for either, but Razorbacks have more equity.

Danny J

Oregon knocking off Arizona doesn't help us. Was pulling for Zona.

k.c.hawg

Palm still has us in as an 11 seed playing Memphis and we are not one of his last 4 in. This is a 5pm bracket.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Hooch

According to Palm these are the 8 teams behind the Hogs and how they fared:

Xavier-L
Providence-L
Nebraska-plays top 10 Wisc tomorrow probable L
Mizzou-L
Minn-plays Penn St. tomorrow probable W
Tenn-W
Georgetown-L
California-Playing Colorado now, bit of a toss up but I would lean toward a L

Tenner was the big winner today, I imagine when Palm updates you will see them in our spot. 

Barring Nebraska upsetting Wisc tomorrow, the Hogs will still be in his last 4 in, probably in one of the play in games. 

It was not only a bad day for us, but almost all of the bubble teams lost.  We really need to be rooting for Colorado and Wisconsin, even though a Cal win would help our RPI. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

Spider-Pig

hambone

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 08, 2014, 05:58:09 pm
Jerry Palm has had us in and seeded higher than Lunardi. Here he is on twitter a while ago after our game.

Ugly loss at a bad time, but not necessarily fatal RT @jlcurtis01: everyone wants your opinion on the Hogs..

This can't be right, Hawg Red says we were never in.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Hooch on March 08, 2014, 06:05:35 pm

Xavier-L
Providence-L
Mizzou-L
Tenn-W
Georgetown-L

Tenner was the big winner today, I imagine when Palm updates you will see them in our spot. 

Barring Nebraska upsetting Wisc tomorrow, the Hogs will still be in his last 4 in, probably in one of the play in games. 

It was not only a bad day for us, but almost all of the bubble teams lost.  We really need to be rooting for Colorado and Wisconsin, even though a Cal win would help our RPI.

I'm tired of your stats and figures that are actually relevant, Hooch. This is Hogville.
Quote from: rhames on Yesterday at 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Hooch

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on March 08, 2014, 06:06:02 pm
LUNARDI Has us IN!!!!

Barely!!

Wait how is this possible everyone keeps telling me we will have to beat Florida and Kentucky to be in?  Are you saying they don't know what they are talking about?

Hooch

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 08, 2014, 06:07:01 pm
I'm tired of your stats and figures that are actually relevant, Hooch. This is Hogville.

Why don't you go kick rocks! ;D

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Hooch on March 08, 2014, 06:05:35 pm

Xavier-L
Providence-L
Mizzou-L
Tenn-W
Georgetown-L

That's the dilemma. Root for RPI boost or bubble teams losing?

Minnesota and Cal.

WPS501

Yeah this wasn't as bad of a loss as some of these Negative Nancies would have you believe.  Win 2 tourney games and we're in,  win 1 and we have a chance.

Hooch

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 08, 2014, 06:03:19 pm
Palm still has us in as an 11 seed playing Memphis and we are not one of his last 4 in. This is a 5pm bracket.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

Thats not updated KC, I think that is just when he posted his article about Oregon knocking off Zona. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Hooch on March 08, 2014, 06:07:49 pm
Wait how is this possible everyone keeps telling me we will have to beat Florida and Kentucky to be in?  Are you saying they don't know what they are talking about?

We are in the very very last spot.

Still need to win the cupcake game and then UT or UGA to make it a relaxing selection sunday.

Hooch

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on March 08, 2014, 06:08:36 pm
That's the dilemma. Root for RPI boost or bubble teams losing?

Minnesota and Cal.

yeah Minn winning wouldn't be awful.  Cal's rpi losing to Colorado wouldn't be effected that much and they are out of the top 50 anyway. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

We need to be HUGE Wisconsin fans tomorrow.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Hooch on March 08, 2014, 06:09:27 pm
Thats not updated KC, I think that is just when he posted his article about Oregon knocking off Zona. 

This is on the header of the bracket. I am certain it is eastern time but we still had to have been very late 2nd half traling by 20+.

Bracket updated on: Sat Mar 8 06:03:38 2014

Hooch

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 08, 2014, 07:30:52 pm
This is on the header of the bracket. I am certain it is eastern time but we still had to have been very late 2nd half traling by 20+.

Bracket updated on: Sat Mar 8 06:03:38 2014

Maybe he just updated a team.  Hard for me to believe they would still have Tenner behind Mizzou after they just beat them by 27.   

forrest city joe

Reading this thread is making me feel better. i sure hope the Hogs get in. but if they don't, let's still stay behind our players, coaches and the program. these guys fought like hell from a bad start, to even give themselves a chance to get in. they could have quit.

Hooch

Cal beat Colorado, I would imagine that puts them on the inside, does help our RPI a little. 

hoglady

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 08, 2014, 07:55:28 pm
Reading this thread is making me feel better. i sure hope the Hogs get in. but if they don't, let's still stay behind our players, coaches and the program. these guys fought like hell from a bad start, to even give themselves a chance to get in. they could have quit.

Everyone will be disappointed if we don't get in - but then we'll get an NIT home game and Bud Walton will be filled with cheering fans calling the Hogs!!!
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: hoglady on March 08, 2014, 08:28:57 pm
Everyone will be disappointed if we don't get in - but then we'll get an NIT home game and Bud Walton will be filled with cheering fans calling the Hogs!!!
Or will NIT be disappointing to fans and players and we lay an egg just like we did against Mizzou at home and get ousted early

forrest city joe

Quote from: hoglady on March 08, 2014, 08:28:57 pm
We all want to see the Hogs get in. but if we don't it's not the end of the world. we will be in the post season for the first time in 6 years.i think we are a lock for the NIT. so the program has improved every year. and we will be in the dance next year in my opinion.

hoglady

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 08, 2014, 08:37:01 pm
We all want to see the Hogs get in. but if we don't it's not the end of the world. we will be in the post season for the first time in 6 years.i think we are a lock for the NIT. so the program has improved every year. and we will be in the dance next year in my opinion.

I agree.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hoglady

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on March 08, 2014, 08:36:54 pm
Or will NIT be disappointing to fans and players and we lay an egg just like we did against Mizzou at home and get ousted early

Why??
I mean a month ago what were the odds of this team making the post season at all. I just don't see this team laying an egg at home in the NIT. It's not like we were ever an NCAA lock that lost their way out of it.
As a team if you think you should be in the NCAA and don't get it - then prove you should have been there by killing it in the NIT.
The disappointment angle is just an excuse for losing.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hoglady on March 08, 2014, 08:48:57 pm
Why??
I mean a month ago what were the odds of this team making the post season at all. I just don't see this team laying an egg at home in the NIT. It's not like we were ever an NCAA lock that lost their way out of it.
As a team if you think you should be in the NCAA and don't get it - then prove you should have been there by killing it in the NIT.
+100. good post hoglady.

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: hoglady on March 08, 2014, 08:48:57 pm
Why??
I will be happy with NIT.  I will be disappointed not making the NCAA Tourney.  I am just throwing out a hypothetical. 

-Blu

It's funny how the opinions of different bracketologist vary so much.  We got some saying we need 2 wins, we got some saying we just need to avoid any bad losses, we got some saying we need to win the whole thing. Jerry Palmer went from having us securely in the field with no play-in games to saying we either need to beat FL or KY to get in or win the whole SEC tournament.  To me that seems sorta outrageous, he's basically saying we would need 25 wins now to get in. 

Jerry Palm ‏@jppalmCBS 1h
beat ky or fla RT @alecj123: ok how many games does Arkansas need to win to most likely get an at-large bid?

Jerry Palm ‏@jppalmCBS 3h
all of them RT @alecj123: how many SEC tourney games does Arkansas need to win to secure their spot?

forrest city joe

Quote from: -Blu on March 08, 2014, 10:16:28 pm
It's funny how the opinions of different bracketologist vary so much.  We got some saying we need 2 wins, we got some saying we just need to avoid any bad losses, we got some saying we need to win the whole thing. Jerry Palmer went from having us securely in the field with no play-in games to saying we either need to beat FL or KY to get in or win the whole SEC tournament.  To me that seems sorta outrageous, he's basically saying we would need 25 wins now to get in. 

beat ky or fla RT @alecj123: ok how many games does Arkansas need to win to most likely get an at-large bid?

all of them RT @alecj123: how many SEC tourney games does Arkansas need to win to secure their spot?

Palm is saying what i thought right after the loss today. but who really knows. we just need to go to the SECT and win some games. and let this chips fall where they may.GO HOGS.

rzrbackramsfan

Jerry palm lost his meds, he's unstable. 

-Blu

Honestly I think Palm was just getting bombarded by Arkansas fans with questions, so he just wanted to say something to get them to shut up lol.  One thing I can say, Arkansas fans are everywhere, I was listening to the radio this morning and an Arkansas fan was the first to call in and ask Joe Lunardi a question, soon as we lost the Alabama game, Arkansas fans flooded Jerry Palm's twitter page.

I'm no bracketologist, but I have been following all the bubble teams and comparing resume's etc.  And at this point I really think we are either the last team in the last 4 in, or right there in the first 4 out.  You look at our resume 2-1 against the RPI top 25, 4-2 against the RPI top 50, 8-8 against the top 100, and no losses over 150 RPI.  If we get to 23 wins without another "bad" loss, it's going to be really hard for a committee to leave us out with our performance against top teams.  We've played extremely well against tournament caliber teams and won most of them.  No other bubble has a positive record like we do against the RPI top 25 and top 50. 

alaback

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2014/03/08/bubble-watch-arkansas-razorbacks-fall-to-alabama-crimson-tide/

Coming off of a 110-80 demolition of the Ole Miss Rebels, the Arkansas Razorbacks were considered in the 2014 NCAA tournament to start the final day of regular SEC play, but will find themselves needing to win at least a game in SEC play to be even considered on the tournament bubble after being absolutely demolished by the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Now, Arkansas will be the No. 5 seed in the SEC tournament and probably must at least make it to the SEC championship game if they are to make the tournament.  Unfortunately, I don't see this happening, because to do so they must beat the Tennessee Volunteers and then the Florida Gators.

alaback

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/bubble-breakdown--oregon-rises-from-the-dead-to-beat-arizona--wrap-up-a-bid-235338726.html

Arkansas (21-10, 10-8): Oh, Arkansas. All you had to do was avoid a bad loss to Alabama to feel relatively secure entering the SEC tournament. Instead you not only lose to the Tide but revert back to "Road Arkansas" form and lose as though you were playing football, not hoops. An 83-58 meltdown in Tuscaloosa won't undo all of the good the Razorbacks did in winning six straight prior to Saturday's game, but it certainly leaves Arkansas in more tenuous position, especially since its two wins over Kentucky don't look as impressive with the Wildcats floundering. In addition to its two wins over Kentucky, Arkansas still has solid wins over SMU and Minnesota in non-league play. Still, with a pair of sub-100 RPI losses to Texas  A&M and now Alabama, the Razorbacks might want to avoid an opening-round SEC tournament loss.

alaback

Around The SEC ‏@AroundTheSEC  · 2h 
If the match-up happens on Friday, the loser of Arkansas-Tennessee will have an incredible amount of anxiety on Selection Sunday.

Breems

Quote from: alaback on March 08, 2014, 11:22:12 pm
Around The SEC ‏@AroundTheSEC  · 2h 
If the match-up happens on Friday, the loser of Arkansas-Tennessee will have an incredible amount of anxiety on Selection Sunday.

If we lose in either of our first two games, I'll have no anxiety whatsoever.

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

alaback

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24472946/poppin-bubbles-oregon-and-tennessee-are-the-big-winners

Arkansas: After six straight wins, the Razorbacks were in good shape for the NCAA Tournament. A win at Alabama would have left them confident heading into the SEC tournament, but they didn't show up in Tuscaloosa and were run out of the gym immediately. In the SEC tournament, they will face the winner of Auburn and South Carolina, and then will face Tennessee in a huge bubble battle. The winner could have the edge on Selection Sunday, while the loser will have a long wait. The two wins over Kentucky have lost some of their luster, and they now have two sub-100 losses to go with an 8-8 top 100 record.

Hot_Town_Hog

Seth Davis and others on Inside College Basketball thought Hogs were in despite bad loss today. No doubt we have to win our first game IMO, but thinking a win over the Vols could have us dancing without question. Record against Top 50 and sweep of Kentucky seems to be driving some opinions. Wouldn't hurt for Cats to make SECT final to keep that sweep impressive.

Blew a huge chance today, but apparently all not lost yet!

WorfHog

Show up in At like we did today and it doesn't really matter. Win at Rupp didn't cure our road woes.

jry04

Palm is not saying we have to win the SECT to get in. He is saying to secure our spot we need to. He is saying we are a bubble team so there is no X amount of games for us to win at this point that would mean we are in without a doubt. The only way to say that is for us to win the whole SECT.

GuvHog

Quote from: WPS501 on March 08, 2014, 06:08:51 pm
Yeah this wasn't as bad of a loss as some of these Negative Nancies would have you believe.  Win 2 tourney games and we're in,  win 1 and we have a chance.

Precisely. That's why I stated in another thread that they should throw the video of that Bama loss in the dumpster and get ready for the SEC Tournament. This loss was an outlier (not the norm) for this Hog team.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

k.c.hawg

What the bracketologist cannot predict are the final 4 to 6 at large teams. They usually get leaked information on Sunday afternoon from some committee member that allows them to plug in the missing pieces in their brackets and be these bracket geniuses. The NCAA figured out quite a while back that bracketology is huge during the last 4 weeks of the college basketball season and sets up Selection Sunday and the opening week of the NCAA Tournament to be the second largest sporting event in this country, next to the Super Bowl. Therefore it is good business to have Joey Brackets and Jerry Palm's out there stirring discussions from the East Coast to the West Coast and all points in between. Those guys at this point have no more of a clue of those last 4 to 6 at larges then the average Joe that can look at the plethora of information on 20 teams vying for 6 spots. Lunardi and Palm will find out who most of them are an hour or so before we do and everyone will continue to believe that these guys know something that we don't. The Hogs measurable's are still plenty good to get in the tournament.....to say we have to beat a Kentucky or Florida to secure our spot is saying they will not even be debated at that point, just seeded. It is impossible as a sane person to believe that if we win against USCE/Aubbie winner and beat Tenner that we would not be a lock. We would then have a 99% chance of playing #1 Florida and our RPI would probably hold still and SOS would go up even with a loss. It does make us feel good to try and get some affirmation of our own beliefs.....the fact is those guys are winging it just like everyone else. It's March Madness in full swing!!!

It is a shame we lost yesterday. I felt like another win on the road would pretty much put us in and at most we would need one SECT win. Unfortunately they have turned the SECT into a high anxiety event. Our guys have been humbled again and now it's time for them to focus and take care of some business. This has been too good of a stretch run to not follow through.

-Blu

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 09, 2014, 08:21:01 am
It is a shame we lost yesterday. I felt like another win on the road would pretty much put us in and at most we would need one SECT win. Unfortunately they have turned the SECT into a high anxiety event. Our guys have been humbled again and now it's time for them to focus and take care of some business. This has been too good of a stretch run to not follow through.

Not going to quote the whole thing since it was long, but excellent post man +1

PorkRyan

Jerry Palm still has us in playing Nebraska in play in game.

alaback

March 09, 2014, 12:10:57 pm #47 Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:58:45 pm by jbcarol
BUBBLE TEAMS
In For Now - They're in, but losing would be a bad idea
Xavier (Big East: 20-11, 10-8)
Nebraska (Big Ten: 18-11, 10-7)

Last Four In - Making the field ... but just barely
Arkansas (SEC: 20-10, 10-8)
Stanford (Pac-12: 19-11, 10-8)
Providence (Big East: 21-11, 10-8)
Pittsburgh (ACC: 23-8, 11-7)

Last Four Out - A win here, a loss there...
Georgetown (Big East: 17-13, 8-10)
Minnesota (Big Ten: 18-12, 7-10)
Georgia (SEC: 18-12, 12-6)
California (Pac-12: 19-12, 10-8)

New Jersey dot com

Edit Note: shortened the URL to not alter the page width