Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7 year old girl survived Seneca crash in KY

Started by GusMcRae, January 05, 2015, 02:02:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

I saw the story on the Today show this AM.  Sad deal.  Praying for this amazing little girl (Sailor) and her family.  She's got a lot of grit.  Another reminder to dress smart and have passengers dress smart, (long pants, good footwear, good jacket with gloves in the pockets).
I almost choked up when I saw the picture on TV with little Sailor wearing a T-shirt that said "You Can't Stop Me". 

Will be interesting to see what NTSB determines to be the cause.

Sorry, I didn't post a link, but not hard to find a jillion stories on it via google.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

bvillepig

She is one tough courageous little girl.  I know every ones prayers and thoughts are with her.

I followed the story on flight aware. It will be interesting to see if the NTSB can come up with the cause. I do know we had ice in that area. I am only about 70-80 nm from the crash site.

I did hear reports that ATC gave him a recommendation on nearest airport which was Kentucky Lake.  Not trying to second guess but that would have been very difficult even in the daytime.

Those of us local who go in and out of that airport make a point to do it in daylight hours only.

Warbirdhog

Saw that this morning too. Broke my heart, especially when the guy whose house she went to asked her why she thought her mom & dad were dead and he said she told him she tried to wake them up but they wouldn't wake up.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on January 05, 2015, 04:44:36 pm
She is one tough courageous little girl.  I know every ones prayers and thoughts are with her.

I followed the story on flight aware. It will be interesting to see if the NTSB can come up with the cause. I do know we had ice in that area. I am only about 70-80 nm from the crash site.

I did hear reports that ATC gave him a recommendation on nearest airport which was Kentucky Lake.  Not trying to second guess but that would have been very difficult even in the daytime.

Those of us local who go in and out of that airport make a point to do it in daylight hours only.

boy, isnt that the truth, brave and determined to live.

the folks on red board are speculating icing, also bville. possible induction icing, last i saw... seems like he def picked the wrong place to go... people were also posting how cheap the fuel was, would hope he didnt kill his 3/4 of his family trying to save gas money.
You are what you tolerate.

theFlyingHog

I saw the guy who found her interviewed on CNN. Reminded me very much of a book I have. Crazy For The Storm, Norman Ollestad. Good read.  The thing about shoes has always been big with me. I have jumped all over my wimminz about the stuff they wear. Yeah maybe you are flying from Fayettville to Cancun but what about that layover in Denver? If you skid off the runway at DEN and have to evac the plane....

bvillepig

Quote from: gotyacovered on January 06, 2015, 03:40:05 pm
boy, isnt that the truth, brave and determined to live.

the folks on red board are speculating icing, also bville. possible induction icing, last i saw... seems like he def picked the wrong place to go... people were also posting how cheap the fuel was, would hope he didnt kill his 3/4 of his family trying to save gas money.

I might be wrong but I don't think there is fuel available there.  I know the field is unattended.

Most of the people who use that are going to Patti's Restaurant which is one of the best.  I do know we won't land at night there and I don't like to take off at night. It is a black, black, and blacker  hole. Just my opinion.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 06, 2015, 05:10:50 pm
I saw the guy who found her interviewed on CNN. Reminded me very much of a book I have. Crazy For The Storm, Norman Ollestad. Good read.  The thing about shoes has always been big with me. I have jumped all over my wimminz about the stuff they wear. Yeah maybe you are flying from Fayettville to Cancun but what about that layover in Denver? If you skid off the runway at DEN and have to evac the plane....

I'm going off topic a little from this tragedy, but I agree with you 100%.  Even if I'm going to a beach or some paradise, I'm not wearing flip flops and shorts on to the plane.  If I'm going anywhere that I'll bring boots then I wear those on the plane.  If not then I'll make sure I have at least my tennis shoes on. 

I used to live in Chicago and would watch people at O'Hare boarding planes in tropical shorts, flip flops, and t shirts with a light zip up sweat shirt on... all while it's 20 degrees F and snowing outside.  If there is an emergency or any kind of egress, even 10 to 15 minutes outside can cause some bad problems for you.  And worse for the people around you if you end up slipping or unable to egress.

Always dress to egress the best you can.  It could save a lot of your skin or your life and the lives of people around you if you're not a liability to everyone else.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."