Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ADS-B

Started by Pistol Pete, March 06, 2014, 10:43:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistol Pete

March 06, 2014, 10:43:19 pm Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:53:40 pm by Pistol Pete
I tried to find the previous topic on this with no luck.
We're looking at WX capabilities along with GPS, Synthetic Vision, terrain, etc... It looks like the Garmin GDL 39 3D along with an iPad Mini, and Garmin Pilot premium software might do the trick. I like the backup attitude indicator as well.
I'm also starting my Instrument training in April. I assume this software app will help with this...

I know some of you have been looking at this, and may already have your setup. Any suggestions?

Flying Razorback

If I were flying civilian more I'd definitely have some sort of ADS-B set up.  But I know I'd have to learn to interpret my information differently.

I read an accident report recently of a guy who was flying solo from Florida back to Oklahoma.  He crashed in a thunderstorm in Mississippi.  From his discussions with the controller and his flight path, it appears he tried to shoot the gap between two cells in the squall line instead of landing at an airfield and waiting for the squall line to pass and then continue his journey. 

One of the problems with the Satellite weather is it is giving you information that is several minutes old and you need to treat it that way.  It's an SA builder but it is not a perfect representation.  That would be hard for me because I've spent my whole life shooting gaps in squall lines and between convective cells using active RADAR returns.  If I hadn't read that report, I could have seen myself get in the same situation and not realizing the information could have been 5 to 10 minutes old which is a long time in building convective cells.

Anyway, adding SA is always a plus.  Especially when you have extra people in the aircraft to help you monitor things when working in busy airspace or on tough flights.  You just have to train with it a lot so you don't get overwhelmed or distracted by it.  And in the end, nothing can beat pre-flight planning and looking outside the aircraft and seeing what you're expecting to see.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

john c

Short derail.  Was the FL-OK crash a Piper?  Husband and wife?

Seems like most of the guys posting here are in the process of upgrading their aircraft and their ratings, assumedly for both business and personal purposes.  Anything that improves safety (including making the load lighter) seems good to me, helps add that additional "person" in the cockpit.  That said, while you can train family and regular business travelers to help, another thing is to know how they might react in the event of an emergency or difficult weather conditions.  If someone in the right seat with you loses it with fear and starts trying to reduce their stress by trying to control the airplane all the safety gear in the world may be moot.  Another side of that is a pilot trying to calm the passengers down during an emergency rather than flying the plane.  (Can think of two accidents where I'm sure that happened.)  Another thing is information overload.

Nonetheless, the change is coming and we might as well get prepared and familiar with it.  Having an unemotional extra "person" in the cockpit, through better avionics, would add to the safety.

Pistol Pete

Quote from: john c on March 07, 2014, 10:04:56 am
Short derail.  Was the FL-OK crash a Piper?  Husband and wife?

Seems like most of the guys posting here are in the process of upgrading their aircraft and their ratings, assumedly for both business and personal purposes.  Anything that improves safety (including making the load lighter) seems good to me, helps add that additional "person" in the cockpit.  That said, while you can train family and regular business travelers to help, another thing is to know how they might react in the event of an emergency or difficult weather conditions.  If someone in the right seat with you loses it with fear and starts trying to reduce their stress by trying to control the airplane all the safety gear in the world may be moot.  Another side of that is a pilot trying to calm the passengers down during an emergency rather than flying the plane.  (Can think of two accidents where I'm sure that happened.)  Another thing is information overload.

Nonetheless, the change is coming and we might as well get prepared and familiar with it.  Having an unemotional extra "person" in the cockpit, through better avionics, would add to the safety.

Well, I'm researching this a little more. The GDL 39 series are only receivers, meaning they have "in" capabilities, but no "out" capablities...
Is the government mandating both "in" and "out"?

This is confusing

john c

Jan 1, 2020 mandatory "out" for certain airspaces (A,B,C and some E).  No requirement for "in", I don't think.  But no expert, for sure.

Pistol Pete

I just read it all... "Out" is what's required... "some E"... everything over 3,000'

So, basically, everywhere.

gotyacovered

Anyone going thru avi updates owes it to them selves to look at the garmin 796. Or even a 696... That's what I have. The WX is better than the graphical (radar/cloud coverage/etc) is much better than the ads stuff, I've seen it for myself. The disadvantage is ads WX is free. I'll post more (and read other posts) when I get back to Arkansas and have a few extra mins.
You are what you tolerate.

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on March 06, 2014, 11:35:18 pm
If I were flying civilian more I'd definitely have some sort of ADS-B set up.  But I know I'd have to learn to interpret my information differently.

I read an accident report recently of a guy who was flying solo from Florida back to Oklahoma.  He crashed in a thunderstorm in Mississippi.  From his discussions with the controller and his flight path, it appears he tried to shoot the gap between two cells in the squall line instead of landing at an airfield and waiting for the squall line to pass and then continue his journey. 

One of the problems with the Satellite weather is it is giving you information that is several minutes old and you need to treat it that way.  It's an SA builder but it is not a perfect representation.  That would be hard for me because I've spent my whole life shooting gaps in squall lines and between convective cells using active RADAR returns.  If I hadn't read that report, I could have seen myself get in the same situation and not realizing the information could have been 5 to 10 minutes old which is a long time in building convective cells.

Anyway, adding SA is always a plus.  Especially when you have extra people in the aircraft to help you monitor things when working in busy airspace or on tough flights.  You just have to train with it a lot so you don't get overwhelmed or distracted by it.  And in the end, nothing can beat pre-flight planning and looking outside the aircraft and seeing what you're expecting to see.

i couldnt agree more. and generally speaking, with XMWX, i go around, or over, never in between. not only are you dealing with delayed info things change really fast. need real time stuff.

i will say that my garmin 696 unit does a great job with weather. the currency date of the wx turns red when its just a few mins behind so that is always eye catching. you can get a used 696 for $1200 and it is a great, great tool. better than ipads, better than the stratus/gdl39/adsb weather. its actually all the same info, it is just depicted in greater detail... which is why i pay $60/month... look up paul sanchez (google or aopa) for anyone wanting screen shots of traffic, wx, etc on ipads, 796's, 696's, etc. he is a photo freak and knows what he is talking about.
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

I'm very ignorant on this topic.
Hoping for the cliff notes or ADS-B for dummies to come out. 
Sounds to me like avionics shops and mfgs have a good future. 
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?