Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AME - Where dreams go to die.

Started by jmb1973, May 13, 2013, 10:48:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jmb1973

Looks like my flying is going to take a serious delay or be completely over due to some previous cardiac issues. I elected to have pacemaker/defribrillator installed a few months ago and apparently the one I had implanted is the one type the FAA won't allow due to integrated circuitry.

Not cool, but understandable. Rules are rules. They exist for a reason.

GusMcRae

You can go the sport pilot route.  Just limits what you can fly and limits passengers.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

jmb1973

Quote from: GusMcRae on May 13, 2013, 11:04:01 pm
You can go the sport pilot route.  Just limits what you can fly and limits passengers.
Acutally if denied I can't do that either. Once denied it eliminates that route.

RNC

Yeah they have little sense of humor about cardiac issues, probably not so much for killing yourself, they just don't want you plowing into innocent bystanders.

Sorry man.

jmb1973

Quote from: RNC on May 14, 2013, 09:28:41 am
Yeah they have little sense of humor about cardiac issues, probably not so much for killing yourself, they just don't want you plowing into innocent bystanders.

Sorry man.

Yea, I completely understand the thinking of the FAA on this. I'm not mad, just a lot disappointed. I went to the AOPA forums to look for a little advice and guidance and I won't say the posters told me to lie, but it was strongly implied IMO. I'm glad I did it the right way. I can't imagine killing an innocent passenger or bystander because I was flying when it really wasn't safe.

I guess now instead of buying a plane next year it's time to visit the Porsche website.

RNC

At least you did it early, I ran into a guy storming out of Central in LR a couple years back that had gotten 6 grand in, only to fail the medical.  In his case he was looking to save a couple hundred by having the VA do the medical rather than a private doctor since he was former military.  From what the people at Central said the VA took one look at his file and saw a PTSD claim/anti psychotic med prescription and denied him on the spot.

gotyacovered

Bummer.

Did Dr. Bruce Chein reply to your AOPA thread?

Your ever around Hope, PM/call me and we will go fly.
You are what you tolerate.

Pistol Pete

Quote from: jmb1973 on May 14, 2013, 09:53:12 am

Yea, I completely understand the thinking of the FAA on this. I'm not mad, just a lot disappointed. I went to the AOPA forums to look for a little advice and guidance and I won't say the posters told me to lie, but it was strongly implied IMO. I'm glad I did it the right way. I can't imagine killing an innocent passenger or bystander because I was flying when it really wasn't safe.

I guess now instead of buying a plane next year it's time to visit the Porsche website.

I'm glad you chose to do it the right way. Flying is absolutely the one activity that you'll always be better off by following the rules completely... not just because your condition may or may not be dangerous, but because crossing that one line about honesty may come back to bite you elsewhere.

Good choice.

jmb1973

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 14, 2013, 04:37:50 pm
Bummer.

Did Dr. Bruce Chein reply to your AOPA thread?

Your ever around Hope, PM/call me and we will go fly.

Yes, he did. He was very helpful, but said the chances of me getting a special issuance are very very slim. Slightly better than John L Smith returning as our head coach, but slim none the less.

I think my instructor is as bummed as I was. He said I was an easy student, came prepared, followed instructions, and caught on quick. We went out for a lesson tonight just because the FAA hasn't said no yet, it was such a blast. Now I'm up to 5.6 hours and think I might just keep flying until the FAA says go home officially.

gotyacovered

Quote from: jmb1973 on May 14, 2013, 09:27:14 pm
Yes, he did. He was very helpful, but said the chances of me getting a special issuance are very very slim. Slightly better than John L Smith returning as our head coach, but slim none the less.

I think my instructor is as bummed as I was. He said I was an easy student, came prepared, followed instructions, and caught on quick. We went out for a lesson tonight just because the FAA hasn't said no yet, it was such a blast. Now I'm up to 5.6 hours and think I might just keep flying until the FAA says go home officially.

Ya, curiosity got me and I found your red board thread. Reading that thread and others makes you paranoid about filling anything out.

Dr. Bruce's theme is always the same though, don't turn it in until you are realitivly sure your gonna get approved or the submission is whole. He is probably one of the best parts about that board. If I ever run into issues he will hear from me.
You are what you tolerate.