Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What’s happened to loyalty?

Started by Granny fan, December 27, 2017, 05:40:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Granny fan

Why are so many in state kids flipping?  I'm old, but when I grew up instate kids never considered anyone but the Hogs!

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Granny fan on December 27, 2017, 05:40:52 pm
Why are so many in state kids flipping?  I'm old, but when I grew up instate kids never considered anyone but the Hogs!

Ask Keith Jackson.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Al Boarland

I would imagine kids aren't hung up on state pride.

checkraiser88

Lol some Morris bashers calling into drive time today, saying early on it appears he can't sell the program, ya there's soo much going for us right now

redeye

This question has been asked regularly on Arkansas message boards since the advent of the WWW.

Gonzo

Why are so many in state kids flipping?  I’m old, but when I grew up instate kids never considered anyone but the Hogs!

I remember the Hogs losing kids to OU and Ok St when I was growing up. Don't know if it's more or less prevalent today, but it's not new.

Go Hogs!

NuttinItUp

I flipped off several in state kids earlier today.

MavND1973

Yes they did, there just wasn't Twitter, Facebook, and the Internet back in the 1920's so you never heard about it.

Houston Nutt
Keith Jackson
Cedric Houston

and the list goes on and on...

Boardon Hamsay

I think a lot of this nuance is selective memory.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Pig Worshipper

It happens at most non-elite schools and every once in awhile at the elites.
Because Arkansas has such a small supply of SEC-caliber players it just seems to hurt us a bit more than many other schools.

ricepig

FATHAWG08

If they are going to flip I'm glad he did it now. I believe we have time to upgrade on this lost. I want them to be 100% committed to the Hogs
I love off season Football!!

oldhawg

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on December 27, 2017, 05:58:01 pm
Ask Keith Jackson.

Don't think Jackson flipped, he was a Sooner from the beginning.

redeye

Quote from: MavND1973 on December 27, 2017, 07:20:15 pm
Yes they did, there just wasn't Twitter, Facebook, and the Internet back in the 1920's so you never heard about it.

Houston Nutt
Keith Jackson
Cedric Houston

Nutt chose Arkansas first, but your point about the internet isn't wrong.  Before internet recruiting services, some good instate players were ignored in discussions of Arkansas recruiting, if it was known they were going out of state.  Sometimes fans thought we signed all the best instate players, although we didn't.

snoblind

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on December 27, 2017, 07:22:11 pm
I think a lot of this nuance is selective memory.

Exactly.  I remember my dad being pi$$ed at Broyles because he let Phillip Dokes get away to OSU back in the early 70's.  I think there was another NLR defensive player that went also, but don't remember his name.  Probably because he didn't end up in the league like Dokes.  In those days it was $100 handshakes.   

rickm1976

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on December 27, 2017, 05:58:01 pm
Ask Keith Jackson.

Seems like I remember Keith didn't want to play TE in Ken Hatfield's type offense or something like that.

nightrider388

I don't know what years you grew up, but we haven't been relevant since being in the sec and even before that. I know we had times of a few good years, but every time we are on the big stage. We have stumbled. Also kids now what to play in the NFL. Years ago, you were not an instant millionaire if you play a few years. It's all about trending. Coach Morris laid out a real good reason, most all previous staff had 1 coach for Arkansas. He will have 10. So its a lot of things combined.

cjack

It seems like there is no such thing as tough love for kids any more.  It seems today it's more popular to kiss a kid's ass and give them whatever they want.

When I grew up, the best offer a kid from here could get was from Arkansas, no matter who the coach was.  A friend of mind in high school was recruited nationally, but chose Arkansas without hesitation.

Today, if the coach or the state doesn't kiss up enough, kids get their feelings hurt.  It's fine if a kid wants to go to Notre Dame or anywhere else.  But when a kid hurts our program by doing that, don't expect the Razorback treatment if you come back home.  Stay gone.  Monk is a Kentucky Wildcat, Gus is an Auburn Tiger, and this most recent kid is now a fighting Irish. Good luck.

I'll stick with the Arkansas Razorbacks vs everyone else mentality I grew up with.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

hawginbigd1

So what year or decade was it when 3 of the top 4 recruits have left for P5 programs? I will hang up and listen.

nightrider388

What is the " Razorback treatment " Is it hey Matt Jones, I loved your miracle on Markham, just wanted to tell you man and I'll hang up and listen. 

nightrider388

I'll say also, some of these schools put money in the right hands to get players. It's just the way it is.

PossumFan

It sucks, but we love it when Texas kids choose Arkansas instead of staying in-state, right?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PossumFan on December 27, 2017, 08:38:13 pm
It sucks, but we love it when Texas kids choose Arkansas instead of staying in-state, right?

And all the other states as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LawyerHog50

When you hire a 13-22 coach a lot of kids will flip.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 27, 2017, 09:05:07 pm
When you hire a 13-22 coach a lot of kids will flip.

Bishop and Fulwider flipped to Arkansas.  Guess they aren't as worried about his record as you are.

Piggfoot

There are several reasons.
None of their family or friends attended Uof A
Other schools contacted players first and Uof A basically ignored them.
Money
Belief that NWA was racist ( this belief started in the 60's when white flighters from South and Eastern Arkansas moved to NWA.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

rtr

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 27, 2017, 09:24:52 pm
There are several reasons.
None of their family or friends attended Uof A
Other schools contacted players first and Uof A basically ignored them.
Money
Belief that NWA was racist ( this belief started in the 60's when white flighters from South and Eastern Arkansas moved to NWA.

That last statement is blatantly false. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

HoggyCat

Arkansas isn't the absolute marquee team in the state anymore, regardless of how much everyone wants to believe they are.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Peter Porker

These kids saw how loyal your type of hog fans were to the coach they committed to. Don't think that didn't play a part.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

rtr

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 27, 2017, 09:36:06 pm
These kids saw how loyal your type of hog fans were to the coach they committed to. Don't think that didn't play a part.
Complete nonsense.

factchecker

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 27, 2017, 05:59:00 pm
I would imagine kids aren't hung up on state pride.

state pride is stupid

I don't care where our players call home. They get my support when they put on that Razorback jersey.

Fans need to develop their loyalty based on their alma mater or who their favorite athletic program is..... don't root for the Razorbacks because you were pushed out in Arkansas.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

rtr

Quote from: factchecker on December 27, 2017, 09:38:04 pm
state pride is stupid

I don't care where our players call home. They get my support when they put on that Razorback jersey.

Fans need to develop their loyalty based on their alma mater or who their favorite athletic program is..... don't root for the Razorbacks because you were pushed out in Arkansas.
I support all of our players too but it all starts at home.

sowmonella

The same mentality that caused many HV posters to hope for Razorback losses this year. A sad commentary on the modern society.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: MavND1973 on December 27, 2017, 07:20:15 pm

Houston Nutt
Keith Jackson
Cedric Houston

Paul Bryant
Don Hutson

root_hawg

Chance to play for championship if you say OU or Bama.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: oldhawg on December 27, 2017, 07:36:11 pm
Don't think Jackson flipped, he was a Sooner from the beginning.
And he still played TE in the Wishbone!LOL
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mike Irwin

Wrong. Ever heard of Cortez Kennedy? Phillip Dokes? Keith Jackson? Those names go back a ways. As long as I've covered this program a few in state kids have left most seasons. Sometimes very good players. If you actually crunch the numbers historically Arkansas does a better job of keeping instate players than most schools SEC or whatever. Three players in a 4 win season with a coaching change is not unusual.

Piggfoot

Quote from: rtr on December 27, 2017, 09:29:20 pm
That last statement is blatantly false.
where are you from in Arkansas and how old are you and are you Black or White?
Answer that then we can compare notes.

rtr

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 27, 2017, 10:08:06 pm
where are you from in Arkansas and how old are you.
I grew up in NWA and 64. What you said is not true.

bphi11ips

Quote from: rickm1976 on December 27, 2017, 07:45:14 pm
Seems like I remember Keith didn't want to play TE in Ken Hatfield's type offense or something like that.

So he went to play in Switzer's wishbone.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Torqued pork

Quote from: rickm1976 on December 27, 2017, 07:45:14 pm
OU wasn't exactly squeaky clean in the Switzer era, either.  Marcus Dupree's mom got a new double-wide out of their deal.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

kodiakisland

It is sad to see talent leave the state, but sometimes it is understandable.  Some have left this year for a better chance at playing time.  Some have left this year for a better education.  I understand those completely.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

rtr

Eric Mitchell missed a chance to play qb by going to OU.

LSUFan

To be honest, Granny, not being ugly, I think it has more to do with the soap opera that has been on the hill for too long. JMO
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

rtr

Quote from: LSUFan on December 27, 2017, 10:29:13 pm
To be honest, Granny, not being ugly, I think it has more to do with the soap opera that has been on the hill for too long. JMO
I believe that.

B Ray

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on December 27, 2017, 09:51:18 pm
I'm a teacher, so I will tell you what kids think. We have been bad so much for so long most of them don't see Arkansas as a successful program. On any given day these days, I see as many other teams shirts being worn at school as razorback shirts. And that school in northeast Arkansas that nobody wants to admit is a threat? I see almost just as many red wolves shirts as hogs now. We've got to start winning. The common thing I hear from the kids is "the hogs suck"
I agree , most of these seniors were in the 6th grade the last time we were competitive, CCM has been here just a few weeks , early signing period .. I believe he has to show the 2019 recruits what his offense looks like and CCM will have plenty of time to build a relationship, go to a bowl game next year and hopefully recruit better than we have before .

Piggfoot

Quote from: rtr on December 27, 2017, 10:11:29 pm
I grew up in NWA and 64. What you said is not true.
Well you see you know very little of the history. I'm 71 and white. I grew up in SEA and I still live there. I saw first hand the people from SEA that fled with white flight. I know the Black Dr. that encouraged Danny Bradley to go to Oklahoma for the reason I stated. We visited often. Before he died he became more tolerant and encouraged kids to go to the UofA but only to play for Nolan.
I knew Willie Roaf's father and mother, The father was a liberal gentleman. The mother was very pro Black.  The UofA never gave him a sniff. I know John Tate and his dad John is playing for Memphis and is as good as most of our Defensive linemen. Arkansas didn't give him a sniff. You are wrong.

rtr

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 27, 2017, 10:34:30 pm
Well you see you know very little of the history. I'm 71 and white. I grew up in SEA and I still live there. I saw first hand the people from SEA that fled with white flight. I know the Black Dr. that encouraged Danny Bradley to go to Oklahoma for the reason I stated. We visited often. Before he died he became more tolerant and encouraged kids to go to the UofA but only to play for Nolan.
I knew Willie Roaf's father and mother, The father was a liberal gentleman. The mother was very pro Black.  The UofA never gave him a sniff. I know John Tate and his dad John is playing for Memphis and is as good as most of our Defensive linemen. Arkansas didn't give him a sniff. You are wrong.
I know the history and you are wrong. Very few people from SEA moved to Benton Co. during my lifetime.