Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SIAP Auburn Malzahn

Started by Rzback, October 20, 2017, 04:33:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jjfmetal11

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 20, 2017, 07:42:36 pm
How last season ended was disappointing.  Could this have happened at the end of last season? 
You would think so!

Poker_hog

Quote from: Danny J on October 20, 2017, 07:36:01 pm
While it's certainly possible, although I hope not because it means beating us tomorrow, they still have a chance to win the SEC if they win out.

If Gus wins out he'll get an extension and a raise.  We couldn't afford him at that point. 

If we win tomorrow there's a decent chance Gus goes 7-5 or worse.  His seat would be very hot at that point.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Boarcephus

Quote from: Poker_hog on October 20, 2017, 07:49:27 pm
We couldn't afford him at that point. 

And how do you know this??
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

grayhawg

I'd rather stay with what we've got as have Malzahn.
  Even though I groan and complain about our coaching situation, after 59 years as a Razorback fan I will be here next year if I'm still breathing.

Danny J

Quote from: Poker_hog on October 20, 2017, 07:49:27 pm

If Gus wins out he'll get an extension and a raise.  We couldn't afford him at that point. 

If we win tomorrow there's a decent chance Gus goes 7-5 or worse.  His seat would be very hot at that point.
Yep which begs the question...would that change people's minds if we were able to get Gus if he went on to win the SEC a second time as a HC?

I think it's all irrelevant anyways because I don't think Gus would even be on Longs radar unless a large donor or two agreed to contribute a massive amount of funds to make that hire happen and that's not going to happen.

If we go 4-8 I think we are looking for a new coach and I think it will be someone nobody is mentioning.

bennyl08

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 20, 2017, 06:34:00 pm
It usually works like this:

The embattled coach and his AD have a meeting. The coach is asked to detail what plans are in place to change the direction of the program. Usually the firing of one or more assistant coaches is discussed. The AD will then offer to add money to the budget to play top dollar for their replacements.

Again most of the time this is how it goes down. At a few schools (LSU & Auburn for instance) big bucks boosters are allowed to make the decision. Arkansas is not one of those schools.

Yes, but that's exactly what happened this past off-season. I mean...

Year 1: Long- The team definitely underperformed this year, but it's your first year and right after the Smiley/Petrino disaster. What are we going to do to improve this coming year?

Bielema: Well, I don't think my DC has what it takes/is at all a fit for this coaching staff so I need to go out and get a new one. After that, just more player development.

Year 2: Long- Well, the team overall was definitely better. Looks like you did well with the new DC. Improvement in all areas of the team, though the offense could use some work. I'll give you a contract extension which will help in recruiting and development.

Bielema - Yes, I'm going to go out and get a better OC this year.

Year 3: Win total has continued to increase this year. Good job. Offense is definitely improved. The defense was disappointing but you lost a lot to the draft this year. You return a lot of talent on defense next year, so hope to see some better results there.

Bielema: Yep. Recruiting continues to improve. Putting in lots of players to the NFL while also continuing to improve the academics of the program and having relatively few off field incidents.

Year 4: Past 3 seasons have all had similar results. The program has definitely improved, but I'm afraid it is looking like it might be plateauing here. The defense was quite bad this year despite good talent on that side of the ball. Those last two games were outright embarrassing. You could have easily won 9+ games this year. You are now an embattled head coach because those last two games showed a lack of leadership. 2nd half collapses have dogged this team under your tenure as HC. I'm also questioning if you have lost the locker room. I need to see that those mistakes have been corrected next year and you need to show that you can get over the hump. The returning talent and schedule set up nicely for you in 2017. You've corrected mistakes in the past, and I need to see you have a big season this year.

Bielema: I agree. We're into year 5. I got a new DC and am focusing on players not giving up and playing to their strengths rather than putting a square peg in a round hole.

Year 5: 2nd half collapses are still happening. The team has lost a lot of fight on game days. Bielema looks like a man defeated.

I absolutely agree with you that Long isn't somebody to fire somebody at the first sign of trouble. Erring on the side of stability is always better than having a twitchy trigger finger. However, after 2016, that was when Bielema became a man embattled. That's when Long goes up and says, I need to see x, y, and z from this football program or else. Bielema has not delivered. I'd be shocked if he is our HC in 2018. Though, because we do have a very talented roster right now and return a lot going forward, that could make whoever the next coach hired is look a lot better than they are. The trick, IMO, will be that if they do end up doing well with Bielema's player's, then they've done more with these players than Bielema did, so that's a good thing. Then it becomes a matter of can they sustain the recruiting and perhaps build off of it. If they sustain, we have the players capable of consistently winning between 8-10 regular season games a year, right now.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

fieldturf

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 20, 2017, 06:17:23 pm
You guys must know nothing about Jeff Long. I doubt that he'd fire BB without putting him on notice with some stated goals for improvement. That  would come following this season. But in any case Long would have to do a 180 to even consider hiring Malzahn. He knows that a good portion of the fan base still blames Malzahn for junior high-type antics that took place in 06.

Whether you agree with that or not there a bunch of folks out there who blame Gus. I remember a Hogville poll that showed Nutt had 8% support. I laughed at those who said it was accurate. A Hogville regular paid a professional polling company to conduct a scientific poll. This guy put his money where his mouth was.

When the results were in, as I recall, Nutt's actual support was in the 60% range.

Malzahn ain't coming here. If he does it will take hiring the president of the Gus Malzahn fan club as AD to make it happen.

This exactly why Jeff needs to go also.  Sick about thinking Jeff and Bert will be back, but that the way it goes I guess. vomit

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: bennyl08 on October 20, 2017, 08:12:07 pm
Yes, but that's exactly what happened this past off-season. I mean...

Year 1: Long- The team definitely underperformed this year, but it's your first year and right after the Smiley/Petrino disaster. What are we going to do to improve this coming year?

Bielema: Well, I don't think my DC has what it takes/is at all a fit for this coaching staff so I need to go out and get a new one. After that, just more player development.

Year 2: Long- Well, the team overall was definitely better. Looks like you did well with the new DC. Improvement in all areas of the team, though the offense could use some work. I'll give you a contract extension which will help in recruiting and development.

Bielema - Yes, I'm going to go out and get a better OC this year.

Year 3: Win total has continued to increase this year. Good job. Offense is definitely improved. The defense was disappointing but you lost a lot to the draft this year. You return a lot of talent on defense next year, so hope to see some better results there.

Bielema: Yep. Recruiting continues to improve. Putting in lots of players to the NFL while also continuing to improve the academics of the program and having relatively few off field incidents.

Year 4: Past 3 seasons have all had similar results. The program has definitely improved, but I'm afraid it is looking like it might be plateauing here. The defense was quite bad this year despite good talent on that side of the ball. Those last two games were outright embarrassing. You could have easily won 9+ games this year. You are now an embattled head coach because those last two games showed a lack of leadership. 2nd half collapses have dogged this team under your tenure as HC. I'm also questioning if you have lost the locker room. I need to see that those mistakes have been corrected next year and you need to show that you can get over the hump. The returning talent and schedule set up nicely for you in 2017. You've corrected mistakes in the past, and I need to see you have a big season this year.

Bielema: I agree. We're into year 5. I got a new DC and am focusing on players not giving up and playing to their strengths rather than putting a square peg in a round hole.

Year 5: 2nd half collapses are still happening. The team has lost a lot of fight on game days. Bielema looks like a man defeated.

I absolutely agree with you that Long isn't somebody to fire somebody at the first sign of trouble. Erring on the side of stability is always better than having a twitchy trigger finger. However, after 2016, that was when Bielema became a man embattled. That's when Long goes up and says, I need to see x, y, and z from this football program or else. Bielema has not delivered. I'd be shocked if he is our HC in 2018. Though, because we do have a very talented roster right now and return a lot going forward, that could make whoever the next coach hired is look a lot better than they are. The trick, IMO, will be that if they do end up doing well with Bielema's player's, then they've done more with these players than Bielema did, so that's a good thing. Then it becomes a matter of can they sustain the recruiting and perhaps build off of it. If they sustain, we have the players capable of consistently winning between 8-10 regular season games a year, right now.
From what I've been told Jeff Long has never mentioned to Bret Bielema that he could be fired. That's what putting a coach on notice is. It might happen after the season if things don't get a lot better but I don't believe they've had that type of discussion yet.

latrops

Quote from: HogCzar1 on October 20, 2017, 06:54:16 pm
Let's assume that Mike is dead on here. That at the end of this year, JL sits down with Bret and gives him some performance goals for 2018.

Just what would constitute a performance goal that Bret would need to meet next year?

7-5 next year against a weak schedule be good enough?

At some point, this program has to become competitive within the entire SEC. If the powers that be allow this level of achievement to continue indefinitely, they are going to risk losing financial support of individual boosters in droves. And, in addition, casual fans all across the state are going to quit watching.

I am beginning to think that some feel that there will be zero repercussions in allowing this level of performance to continue in4definitely.

How do we know expectations weren't discussed after last season's disappointing finish?  Things progressed from year one to year two...but have been pretty stagnant since.  A dismal 2017 season is tough to overlook given the lack of significant success in prior years.

Tusks

After BB finishes with 4-5 wins this season, he'll be gone.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

code red

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2017, 05:19:19 pm
If he is I'm a darksider immediately.
Well more of the same is stupid as hell.  Get on the Gus Bus!!!!!
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on October 20, 2017, 08:19:55 pm
I mean... we could do worse
Exactly....SEC experience.....SEC recruiting experience.....I don't see the downside.  I'd take Miles too.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

And GUS knows how to best Bama and Auburn.

PorkSoda

I don't know, Arkansas did him wrong, so I doubt he has a whole lot of love for the university.

and half the fan base hates him because he went to a conference rival and has since whooped up on arkansas fairly regularly.

while he is obviously a good coach, there is just too much drama involved for it to be a good fit.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Poker_hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 20, 2017, 08:20:42 pm
From what I've been told Jeff Long has never mentioned to Bret Bielema that he could be fired. That's what putting a coach on notice is. It might happen after the season if things don't get a lot better but I don't believe they've had that type of discussion yet.

I wouldn't expect anyone to know if this conversation has happened but the 2 principles.   

But for the record are you saying cbb wouldn't be fired with a losing record this year?

bennyl08

Fair enough. However, 4 thoughts.

First, it makes logical sense for that to have happened this past offense, see my above post.

Second, all the off-season talk this year certainly hinted that such a conversation took place. Bielema all off-season talked about how he knows that this is the year he needs to make some noise. Long himself mentioned that we need to win more games this year. That's straight from the horses mouth.

Third, Long is really, really, really good at keeping things in house. I don't doubt you for a second when you say that you haven't heard about such a conversation happening. However, that's pretty much par for the course under Long. Things don't really leak unless they are supposed to leak.

Lastly, the above three are all speculation. It makes sense that conversation could have happened, Long and Bielema have acted and talked as though that conversation did happen, and there's plenty of evidence to support that a lack of leaks doesn't mean a lack it happening. But again, that's all speculation. In the last bit, look no further than a real life case-study with Pelphrey and the basketball program. Pelfphrey was given 4 seasons to get things done. He took over a team that had made the tournament in back to back years as well as his first year. Back to back losing seasons followed, but recruiting was improving so he was given a fourth after the two losing seasons to see if he could get things done with his players. He couldn't. Long explicitly mentioned mediocre results as the reason for the firing.

IMO, it's a pretty safe bet that Long looked at those 3 consecutive years under Bielema of winning 7 and 8 games and thought they were mediocre results overall. However, especially with the lost locker room at the end of the season, and that Long doesn't want the major sports to just be middle of the road programs, I'd be shocked if that conversation didn't happen. Factor in the buyout which is under 6 mil and the amount of money that comes in and Bielema being fired makes a heckuva lot of sense. Even a miraculous end to the season might not be enough as all that does is question why those changes and results didn't happen at the beginning of the season.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

grayhawg

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 20, 2017, 08:39:33 pm
I don't know, Arkansas did him wrong, so I doubt he has a whole lot of love for the university.

and half the fan base hates him because he went to a conference rival and has since whooped up on arkansas fairly regularly.

while he is obviously a good coach, there is just too much drama involved for it to be a good fit.
Arkansas didn't do him wrong, there was a lot of crap between him and the MSM and he left.

Poker_hog

Quote from: Danny J on October 20, 2017, 08:11:25 pm
Yep which begs the question...would that change people's minds if we were able to get Gus if he went on to win the SEC a second time as a HC?

I can't see that happening.  I don't think Gus has any special loyalty to the university.  He's only coming for more money or job security.  Our pockets aren't any deeper than auburns.  They'd match whatever we offered.

jimmiewkersh

You will never have to worry about Gus being the head football coach at the University of Arkansas.  The University burned too many bridges with Gus for that to ever be considered.  Think about it, when you are lied to and lied about by the administration, leadership and big money people, how in the world would you ever consider returning.  There have not been enough funerals take place for any of those burned bridges to be restored.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Poker_hog on October 20, 2017, 08:46:17 pm
They'd match whatever we offered.

Provided they wanted to keep him.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Poker_hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 20, 2017, 09:11:26 pm
Provided they wanted to keep him.

Why would they not want him if he just won the sec?

grayhawg

Quote from: jimmiewkersh on October 20, 2017, 09:09:26 pm
You will never have to worry about Gus being the head football coach at the University of Arkansas.  The University burned too many bridges with Gus for that to ever be considered.  Think about it, when you are lied to and lied about by the administration, leadership and big money people, how in the world would you ever consider returning.  There have not been enough funerals take place for any of those burned bridges to be restored.
Really, you have proof of all these lies or did they just pop into our head?

gchamblee

Excellent hire. All Gus needs is less talent than he has now and he will tear it up!

Mike Irwin

Well, there you have it then. No Gus for us.  ;D

Scott7703

Not true.

Tigaman

Quote from: bennyl08 on October 20, 2017, 08:43:07 pm
Fair enough. However, 4 thoughts.

First, it makes logical sense for that to have happened this past offense, see my above post.

Second, all the off-season talk this year certainly hinted that such a conversation took place. Bielema all off-season talked about how he knows that this is the year he needs to make some noise. Long himself mentioned that we need to win more games this year. That's straight from the horses mouth.

Third, Long is really, really, really good at keeping things in house. I don't doubt you for a second when you say that you haven't heard about such a conversation happening. However, that's pretty much par for the course under Long. Things don't really leak unless they are supposed to leak.

Lastly, the above three are all speculation. It makes sense that conversation could have happened, Long and Bielema have acted and talked as though that conversation did happen, and there's plenty of evidence to support that a lack of leaks doesn't mean a lack it happening. But again, that's all speculation. In the last bit, look no further than a real life case-study with Pelphrey and the basketball program. Pelfphrey was given 4 seasons to get things done. He took over a team that had made the tournament in back to back years as well as his first year. Back to back losing seasons followed, but recruiting was improving so he was given a fourth after the two losing seasons to see if he could get things done with his players. He couldn't. Long explicitly mentioned mediocre results as the reason for the firing.

IMO, it's a pretty safe bet that Long looked at those 3 consecutive years under Bielema of winning 7 and 8 games and thought they were mediocre results overall. However, especially with the lost locker room at the end of the season, and that Long doesn't want the major sports to just be middle of the road programs, I'd be shocked if that conversation didn't happen. Factor in the buyout which is under 6 mil and the amount of money that comes in and Bielema being fired makes a heckuva lot of sense. Even a miraculous end to the season might not be enough as all that does is question why those changes and results didn't happen at the beginning of the season.

In addition, Beilema made changes at assistant coaches after the bowl game, including a new Defense Coordinator with a new defensive scheme. There clearly was something happening behind the scenes. Coaches usually don't change schemes at this point in their tenture if they aren't filling some pressure.

Hoggish1

Quote from: code red on October 20, 2017, 08:33:56 pm
Exactly....SEC experience.....SEC recruiting experience.....I don't see the downside.  I'd take Miles too.

Gus gets top payers at Auburn but can't win.  Less got top players at LSU but couldn't win, except the year he came in and had Nicks players.

So, those two schools get SEC talent.  How could either of them win here?

WoePigSooie

The embattled coach and his AD have a meeting. The coach is asked to detail what plans are in place to change the direction of the program. Usually the firing of one or more assistant coaches is discussed. The AD will then offer to add money to the budget to play top dollar for their replacements.

Again most of the time this is how it goes down. At a few schools (LSU & Auburn for instance) big bucks boosters are allowed to make the decision. Arkansas is not one of those schools.

So you are saying no matter how craptastic this season is, Bielema gets to toss someone else, players, assistants, etc. under the proverbial bus and we get another season of poorly coached football?

GlassofSwine

Outside of his ties to Arkansas I can't see why anyone would want Gus. He has Top 10 recruiting classes every year at Auburn and his standard record is 8-5 with one year at 12-2. Despite  having Top 10 recruiting classes only once has he finished in the Top 10, and that was his first year. He has under performed his talent level. He will probably be looking at 8-4 minus the bowl game again this year. So you want a coach who averages 8-5 with one good season every 5 years despite having teams loaded with Top 10 talent every year. No Thanks.

Tusks

Good grief some of you are so easily played.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Cinco de Hogo

Maybe that all happened last year, quick someone find Longs scratch pad.

rude1

In other words, get ready for JL to trot BB back out there next year with alleged stipulations? If that happens, and BB doesn't get out the gate fast, look for things to get really nasty around here for both JL and BB..........................

PonderinHog

Bobby ain't coming back.  Gus ain't coming back.  Bret isn't getting it done.  It's time to look to the future with new blood leading the way.

Hawg Life

That bridge burning goes both ways. I hope we are fortunate enough to hire Mike Norvell. He's an offensive genius, MAKES halftime adjustments, and is young and passionate about coaching. Chris Ball Memphis DC has an impressive resume, even though they give up a lot of points. Their OC Darrell Dickey has Texas roots, and would be able to recruit Texas better than we've done in decades.

Rzback

Quote from: VirginiaHog on October 20, 2017, 06:37:14 pm
I like Gus. I wanted him the last 2hires. But not now. If he cant win there, what makes you think he can win here.
He is winning there, just not to the level of Alabama that Auburn desires.
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Rzback

If you have to threaten an employee after 4 years to get him to perform his job, you should go ahead and let him go. This applies to coaches and athletic directors.
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

(notOM)Rebel123

This is BS. Gus had a very vocal group of supporters who he played like a fiddle. They yelled so loud & made him out to be a victim, yet he never said a word, allowing it to boil over. He allowed them to create the divide and did nothing to stop it. He is as much to blame as anyone in that whole fiasco.
Poor mistreated Gus....he's a weasel.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

jgphillips3

I have to believe Bielema was given performance goals after that piss poor finish last year.  It's not like Bielema won double digits the last two years.  Then you give him goals and a pass.  When your best season is 8-5 and you have slipped for two straight years, that guy just needs a pink slip.

PonderinHog

Just too many blowouts to ignore/gloss over.  Sorry it turned out this way.  Nothing personal.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 21, 2017, 07:22:14 am
Just too many blowouts to ignore/gloss over.  Sorry it turned out this way.  Nothing personal.

Yep.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

David†

Quote from: code red on October 20, 2017, 08:36:41 pm
And GUS knows how to best Bama and Auburn.

He is besting auburn by coaching there. Beat Bama on the kick six, I wouldn't say he was besting them.

If he can't get it done with auburn talent, he won't get it done with Arkansas talent. We can do better.

Tylerhog

Just make sure Gus brings the Bagman or don't come at all!

sw403

I wish he would be our head coach, but after all the crap that was done to him and his family, I don't see it.

Dark Helmet Hog

There are people in NWA with a lot of political pull and money to match that want no part of Malzahn. They learned back in 2006 that Gus is no saint and basically consider him Nutt 2.0 but a smarter more devious version. Offensively he's not on Petrino's level but he does try to cover up his "indiscretions" better. Bottom line is Malzahn only looks out for Malzahn. Fans be darned. Players be darned. University be darned.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: sw403 on October 21, 2017, 07:59:09 am
I wish he would be our head coach, but after all the crap that was done to him and his family, I don't see it.

Please. What a load of crap.

hawganatic

Malzahn's coaching record the last three seasons:  8-5, 7-6, 8-5

This is with top ten recruiting classes, unlimited resources, and a school/fanbase willing to do whatever to win.

His spread offense isn't anything creative or original. He basically runs four plays and that is it.  There are a lot of coaches out there doing the same offense better. 

Somebody please make a compelling case to me on how, if this is the best he can do at Auburn, he is going to do any better at Arkansas. 

parallaxpig

Quote from: Tylerhog on October 21, 2017, 07:52:53 am
Just make sure Gus brings the Bagman or don't come at all!

Gus is the perfect coach for Auburn. Knows to look the other way and not ask any questions............
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

GuvHog

Gus burned his own share of bridges at Arkansas in 2006. He is not the clean and innocent man you make him out to be. I want him no where near the head coaching job at the U of A.

Besides, Gus would never fit at a University that values integrity the least little bit.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Ironhawg

My opinion only, but I don't see any way possible that Gus is the next coach at Arkansas.  He is just too polarizing.  I don't see him being able to unite the fanbase.