Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next Season

Started by Hog and Eggs, June 16, 2015, 12:43:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog and Eggs

While it has been disappointing that we haven't been able to fill the spots vacated by Portis, Qualls, and Babb with high impact players, I do think that we have a chance to maintain next season. By maintain, I mean make the tournament. I think it will be a tough haul, but it's possible. I think we are going to have to have some balls bounce our way (like having opponents miss clutch free throws again). Here is the way I think we can do it.

1. We really have to be a gritty team. We have to be both physically and mentally tough. That means when the ball is loose we need to be getting them all. It means shooting FT's at a high clip. It means rebounding. I think it was Charles Barkley who said that most of rebounding is mindset. You have to want it more than the other guy. I know that our style gives something up when it comes to rebounding, but we need to particularly limit second chance points. Everyone has to pitch is as we don't have Portis and Qualls to take a big portion of that. We also have to play really solid defense. I know that is always Anderson's goal, but with this team that will really have to be the calling card.

2. Last year we were lucky enough to have two go-to players. They took the bulk of the scoring on themselves. I think this year we will need to be more balanced when it comes to scoring. Rather than having real go-to players, we have 6 or 7 guys who all . get between 8-12 ppg. I think this is realistic. I could see Kingsley, Williams, Beard, Whitt, Bell, Hannahs, and Durham fitting in this range.

The more apparent is becomes that we aren't going to land another impact guy for next season, the more I believe it hurts to have lost Babb. I think that he out of all the guys currently on our roster had the chance to make the biggest leap and become a real go-to type of guy. I think he had the skill and physical attributes necessary to take on a large role.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on June 16, 2015, 12:43:11 pm
While it has been disappointing that we haven't been able to fill the spots vacated by Portis, Qualls, and Babb with high impact players, I do think that we have a chance to maintain next season. By maintain, I mean make the tournament. I think it will be a tough haul, but it's possible. I think we are going to have to have some balls bounce our way (like having opponents miss clutch free throws again). Here is the way I think we can do it.

1. We really have to be a gritty team. We have to be both physically and mentally tough. That means when the ball is loose we need to be getting them all. It means shooting FT's at a high clip. It means rebounding. I think it was Charles Barkley who said that most of rebounding is mindset. You have to want it more than the other guy. I know that our style gives something up when it comes to rebounding, but we need to particularly limit second chance points. Everyone has to pitch is as we don't have Portis and Qualls to take a big portion of that. We also have to play really solid defense. I know that is always Anderson's goal, but with this team that will really have to be the calling card.

2. Last year we were lucky enough to have two go-to players. They took the bulk of the scoring on themselves. I think this year we will need to be more balanced when it comes to scoring. Rather than having real go-to players, we have 6 or 7 guys who all . get between 8-12 ppg. I think this is realistic. I could see Kingsley, Williams, Beard, Whitt, Bell, Hannahs, and Durham fitting in this range.

The more apparent is becomes that we aren't going to land another impact guy for next season, the more I believe it hurts to have lost Babb. I think that he out of all the guys currently on our roster had the chance to make the biggest leap and become a real go-to type of guy. I think he had the skill and physical attributes necessary to take on a large role.

I agree on the gritty mindset that needs to be present.

IMO next year's team had better decide it's going to fight to the death on defense.  Defense HAS to be this team's absolute signature, come hell or high water.

IF they can be a lock down defensive team and not give up the cheap, easy baskets, I think they have a shot to be better than I'm predicting.

If they can't do that, I'm afraid it's going to be a tough season.

I do believe it's going to be a good gauge of Mike's coaching, because it will depend on HIS defense and how he coaches it.

I've said it before, if Mike can get us back to the dance with this roster, then he deserves SEC COY.

(My perspective on this could change depending on whether or not we get that JC transfer who played in LR, I believe he could add a lot of offense for us.)
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hog and Eggs

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 16, 2015, 01:23:39 pm
I agree on the gritty mindset that needs to be present.

IMO next year's team had better decide it's going to fight to the death on defense.  Defense HAS to be this team's absolute signature, come hell or high water.

IF they can be a lock down defensive team and not give up the cheap, easy baskets, I think they have a shot to be better than I'm predicting.

If they can't do that, I'm afraid it's going to be a tough season.

I do believe it's going to be a good gauge of Mike's coaching, because it will depend on HIS defense and how he coaches it.

I've said it before, if Mike can get us back to the dance with this roster, then he deserves SEC COY.

(My perspective on this could change depending on whether or not we get that JC transfer who played in LR, I believe he could add a lot of offense for us.)

I think you are right on. It will be an interesting year anyway.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on June 16, 2015, 02:21:49 pm
I think you are right on. It will be an interesting year anyway.

I was actually pretty excited thinking about next year, and then Babb left.

I stand alone in my belief the kid was a perfect big, strong guard for Mike's system.  I just think he was a top notch athlete and could have been a dominant defensive player.

Still, it IS going to interesting to see how it all shakes out.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hollywood_HOGan45

We should be a good defensive team.

We are adding a guy that averaged 4 steals a game in Jimmy Whitt.

A big part of me is already dreading next season.
It could be an up and down year. With every loss will come the lynch mob ready to burn Anderson and the BB program to the ground (or every tough win for that matter).

rude1

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on June 16, 2015, 02:53:23 pm
We should be a good defensive team.

We are adding a guy that averaged 4 steals a game in Jimmy Whitt.

A big part of me is already dreading next season.
It could be an up and down year. With every loss will come the lynch mob ready to burn Anderson and the BB program to the ground with every loss (or every tough win for that matter).
Doesn't matter if it's a loss, they showed up this year pitchfork in hand after wins they deemed weren't good enough.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: rude1 on June 16, 2015, 02:59:18 pm
Doesn't matter if it's a loss, they showed up this year pitchfork in hand after wins they deemed weren't good enough.

No doubt about that.
Those types have agendas. Heck even after winning a game in the NCAA they deemed that loss "ugly".

Id love to have 27 "ugly" wins every single year.

Hog and Eggs

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 16, 2015, 02:30:42 pm
I was actually pretty excited thinking about next year, and then Babb left.

I stand alone in my belief the kid was a perfect big, strong guard for Mike's system.  I just think he was a top notch athlete and could have been a dominant defensive player.

Still, it IS going to interesting to see how it all shakes out.

You know the loss of Babb didn't initially strike me as being that big of a deal. Now, after the loss of Portis and Qualls, and evaluating our roster. I think it was pretty big. As I mentioned in my OP, I think Babb just had some of the skills and physical tools that would have enabled him to be a stud for us. He think he was more of a complete package then most anyone else on our roster at the moment.

rude1

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on June 16, 2015, 03:02:26 pm
No doubt about that.
Those types have agendas. Heck even after winning a game in the NCAA they deemed that loss "ugly".

Id love to have 27 "ugly" wins every single year.
You know how it works, win a bunch of close games it's luck, lose a bunch of close games it's because of a lack of coaching down the stretch.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rude1 on June 16, 2015, 02:59:18 pm

An exaggeration of the facts, I believe.  Saying "they showed up with CRITICISM in hand after wins they deemed weren't good enough" would be more accurate.

Surprised you didn't take your hyperbole all the way to "with rope in hand".  After all, anyone who criticizes Mike is a racist, don't you know?

Quote from: rude1 on June 16, 2015, 03:09:05 pm
You know how it works, win a bunch of close games it's luck, lose a bunch of close games it's because of a lack of coaching down the stretch.

Poor little multi-millionaire, bless his heart!

Your described exactly what EVERY coach at this level understands comes with his position as "Head Coach".