Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA Rule Changes Favor Hogs

Started by woo_pig_al, June 08, 2015, 04:22:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinco de Hogo

I agree somewhat with Eastex but on the otherhand I don't really KNOW that it would make the game more enjoyable.  I guess all the fan can start leaving at the 2:23 mark when you are down by 12.  That would certainly help with the traffic problems. 

I don't think it hurts to have rules that differentiate one sport from another.  I know I have cooled on my interest in basketball but I don't think that situation has anything to do with it because it's alway been a part of basketball. 

Now the one and dined...thst needs fixed.

hogsanity

I just would like to see teams given the option in the last two minutes if they are fouled they can:

1. Take the FT's

2. Take 1 FT and the ball out of bounds

3. Take the ball out of bounds

The real issue I have with the fouling is that the team fouled gets either a 1 & 1 or two shots, yet the team committing the foul gets to attempt a shot worth three points on the other end.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 24, 2015, 09:14:35 am
Maybe they should coach their teams to not get their tails kicked for the first 38 minutes.  If that happened they wouldn't be behind by 11 with two minutes to go.

It may be coaching, but it's also a disgrace that the rules allow it.  The fact that the disgrace has become institutionalized to the point that it is now accepted tradition doesn't make it any less so.

It was tradition 50 years ago. I hate that style, but there's a big group of established coaches who want the rules to favor their style.
[CENSORED]!

EastexHawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 24, 2015, 09:21:27 am
I agree somewhat with Eastex but on the otherhand I don't really KNOW that it would make the game more enjoyable.  I guess all the fan can start leaving at the 2:23 mark when you are down by 12.  That would certainly help with the traffic problems. 

How about playing defense, not allowing a good shot, blocking out to get the rebound, and making shots quickly on the other end?  How about pressing and forcing a turnover or a 10 second violation, or getting a steal on either the inbounds pass or as the ball is being advanced upcourt?  How about trapping in the frontcourt and forcing a bad pass or a 5 second violation?

Two minutes is 120 seconds.  If the defense can force one turnover and play good enough defense to not allow made baskets that means at least four possessions.  Make four threes while holding the opponent scoreless and you've made up the 12 point margin.

If you can't do that...do you really deserve to win the game after being down by 12 with two minutes to go anyway?

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 24, 2015, 10:12:31 am
How about playing defense, not allowing a good shot, blocking out to get the rebound, and making shots quickly on the other end?  How about pressing and forcing a turnover or a 10 second violation, or getting a steal on either the inbounds pass or as the ball is being advanced upcourt?  How about trapping in the frontcourt and forcing a bad pass or a 5 second violation?

Two minutes is 120 seconds.  If the defense can force one turnover and play good enough defense to not allow made baskets that means at least four possessions.  Make four threes while holding the opponent scoreless and you've made up the 12 point margin.

If you can't do that...do you really deserve to win the game after being down by 12 with two minutes to go anyway?

why these guys want to sit and watch 30 minutes of fouls and ft's is beyond me. What is funny, any of them decry the number of ft's in games in total, but are okay with the last 2 minute foul fests that any game within 12 points has become.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jbcarol

Chris Farrow ‏@chrisjfarrow 16h16 hours ago

Thoughts on this data in men's hoops

KPI Sports
‏@KPIsports

Scoring up 5.3 PPG
Possessions up 3.8 per game
FTA's DOWN 0.9% per possession
84% of PPG increase is from made FGs

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 10, 2015, 09:39:11 am
Fallacy. Different ways to play within a 30-second shot clock. It won't force everybody to play up tempo. All it does is shorten some possessions. Most possessions aren't anywhere close to 30 seconds anyway. It will change the game by making slow-tempo opponents conscious of the shot clock sooner. It might eliminate the slow walk up court after an inbounds play or rebound.

For most slow-tempo teams, they can compensate for losing five seconds off the shot clock by moving more quickly across halfcourt after gaining possession. They'll still initiate their plays with about the same time left on the shot clock. Five seconds is crap. This was an incremental change that was a compromise because the traditionalists don't really want to change.

And I don't want them to change either.
Originally, the shot clock was implemented to prevent a team from holding the ball for MINUTES with an ''S'', such as UNC.

Almost everyone does and should understand that the first shot clock was a good thing.  You could even argue that doing the ''Four Corners'' wasn't really even basketball cause you weren't trying to use b-ball strategy to win, rather a perversion to warp the game.

Since that rule, they keep shortening the shot clock.
Why?
Shouldn't some coaches at certain institutions utilize whatever style and pace they see fit within the original 45 second rule?  Don't coaches and programs that are only capable of recruiting about 8 players worthy of hitting the court stand a chance as well?
Why is there a need to put everyone into a grinder and then spit them all out as the same?

I used to like watching contrasts in style like a Princeton vs a Pitino team.

Of course college b-ball's wretched nielson's over tbe last decade+ is pushing the money men to start devising ways to force pace and artificially create excitement.

P.S.
The excessive timeouts does need to change and I'm happy with the changes thus far.
The expansion/length of timeouts hurt us towards the end of Nolan's regime.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 24, 2015, 09:14:35 am
Maybe they should coach their teams to not get their tails kicked for the first 38 minutes.  If that happened they wouldn't be behind by 11 with two minutes to go.

It may be coaching, but it's also a disgrace that the rules allow it.  The fact that the disgrace has become institutionalized to the point that it is now accepted tradition doesn't make it any less so.

Agree with both of your posts.

The intentional fouls and 83.4 timouts to use in the last 2:30 minutes of the game is no less a warping of the game than the 4 Corners tactics that were used way back when, before the 45 second shot clock.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

jesterzzn

Intentional Fouls in the final two minutes are to me similar to if a personal foul on an onside kick resulted in a forced 35 yard field goal attempt by the receiving team on the next play.

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

latrops

Quote from: jbcarol on December 13, 2015, 07:57:22 am
Chris Farrow ‏@chrisjfarrow 16h16 hours ago

Thoughts on this data in men's hoops

KPI Sports
‏@KPIsports

Scoring up 5.3 PPG
Possessions up 3.8 per game
FTA's DOWN 0.9% per possession
84% of PPG increase is from made FGs

Curious to see how these numbers move, if at all, when the schedules toughen up in conference play.  Just feel like the fact there are so many mismatches during the nonconference schedule could skew the numbers a bit.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: oldman1015 on December 16, 2015, 08:56:27 am
raise the goal to 11 ft.
Make half-court shots worth 5pts as well.  We can just spot up Dusty and let him bomb.  May benefit us more than anything they do with the clock.

hogsanity

Quote from: jesterzzn on December 15, 2015, 07:29:33 pm
Intentional Fouls in the final two minutes are to me similar to if a personal foul on an onside kick resulted in a forced 35 yard field goal attempt by the receiving team on the next play.

Fouls committed beyond the 3 pt line in the last 2 minutes should be an automatic 3 shots, regardless of whether they were in the act of shooting. Why is it right that a team can ONLY make 2 pts, yet the opponent, when they get the ball back can make 3?

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 36m36 minutes ago

NCAA supervisor of officials JD Collins cautiously optimistic pace & free-flowing play will sustain in league play: http://es.pn/1RDoThg
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net