Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Way, Way, Too Early 2016 Tournament Bracket Prediction

Started by chiefhawg, June 02, 2015, 08:22:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chiefhawg

Hogs an 11 seed in the Midwest Region. I don't write them I just post.

http://bracketwag.com/

Breems

Are Auburn and South Carolina really ready to even be mentioned as possibilities?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

jry04

Quote from: Breems on June 02, 2015, 08:25:46 pm
Are Auburn and South Carolina really ready to even be mentioned as possibilities?
SC hung around until midway thru SEC play as a possible tournament team. They return a lot.

Auburn has potential to be a boarderline top 25 team. Pearl had some big recruits and transfers. They will be solid next year. We will have to see if him taking 2 or 3 kids who were banned at other schools pays off for him.

-Blu

Quote from: jry04 on June 02, 2015, 10:51:03 pm
SC hung around until midway thru SEC play as a possible tournament team. They return a lot.

Auburn has potential to be a boarderline top 25 team. Pearl had some big recruits and transfers. They will be solid next year. We will have to see if him taking 2 or 3 kids who were banned at other schools pays off for him.

Yea they SEC should be MUCH improved this year.  Even Miss St, who's usually an easy team should be decent this year, only team I wouldn't put much stock in is Mizzou.  I wouldn't be surprised to see up to 7 teams from the SEC make the tournament this year, should be very competitive.

Hawg Red

I agree that the SEC figures to be tougher this year, so this is why I'm a little pessimistic about our odds of winning 23-25 games and being a comfortable seed in the NCAA tournament. Without Portis and Qualls, I'm unsure of our ability to win on the road. I don't see us as an 11 seed in the NCAAs....I see us as a 3 seed in the NIT. Just too many unknowns. Where does the interior scoring come from? Will Kapita be able to play rotation minutes? Will Kingsley take the much-needed big step forward? Will Jimmy Whitt be as good as advertised right away? How many double figure scorers will we have? Hopefully my outlook is much better mid-way through SEC play.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: chiefhawg on June 02, 2015, 08:22:33 pm

Would be tickled to death with this!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

intelligence

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2015, 09:37:40 am
I agree that the SEC figures to be tougher this year, so this is why I'm a little pessimistic about our odds of winning 23-25 games and being a comfortable seed in the NCAA tournament. Without Portis and Qualls, I'm unsure of our ability to win on the road. I don't see us as an 11 seed in the NCAAs....I see us as a 3 seed in the NIT. Just too many unknowns. Where does the interior scoring come from? Will Kapita be able to play rotation minutes? Will Kingsley take the much-needed big step forward? Will Jimmy Whitt be as good as advertised right away? How many double figure scorers will we have? Hopefully my outlook is much better mid-way through SEC play.
RE: Whitt

When a kid shoots the midrange like that, he's considered a potentially elite scorer. All the great scorer in history were elite midrange shooters. That's why everyone is so hyped about Jimmy. He could be 1 and done with a strong year.

Hawg Red

Quote from: intelligence on June 03, 2015, 10:43:59 am
RE: Whitt

When a kid shoots the midrange like that, he's considered a potentially elite scorer. All the great scorer in history were elite midrange shooters. That's why everyone is so hyped about Jimmy. He could be 1 and done with a strong year.

We'll see. It wouldn't surprise me, but I'm not sure he'll have a lot of help offensively and that will hurt him.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: chiefhawg on June 02, 2015, 08:22:33 pm

Anybody looking for some proof that we're not predicted to drop off the map

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on June 03, 2015, 10:58:59 am
Anybody looking for some proof that we're not predicted to drop off the map

All the proof you would ever need that we're not predicted to drop off the map has already been made by half the posters in this very thread.

And, for the record, just because one guy made this prediction doesn't mean "we're not predicted to fall off the map."  It just means one guy predicts we're not going to fall off the map.

You guys are simply working too hard in the Loyal Mike Army.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2015, 09:37:40 am
I agree. I think someone could step up big next year, but until they do I will think we end up a 2-4 seed in the NIT. If the SEC is as good next year as we think, then we could sneak into the NCAAT with 20 wins, but getting there will be the challenge. We will play A&M and LSU twice, which will both be top 25 teams. Plus UK will be a top 10-15 team. Vandy and Dayton will add 2 more boarder line top 25 teams. The quality games will be there to build our resume. Just have to win some of them. Not sure we will do enough, though.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 03, 2015, 11:38:14 am
All the proof you would ever need that we're not predicted to drop off the map has already been made by half the posters in this very thread.

And, for the record, just because one guy made this prediction doesn't mean "we're not predicted to fall off the map."  It just means one guy predicts we're not going to fall off the map.

You guys are simply working too hard in the Loyal Mike Army.

I'm just a fan of that .gif actually.  Plus this is a number crunching guy.  I'm sure we'll have plenty of professional prognosticators saying all kinds of stuff, but here's one prediction in favor of us making it.

Breems

Every year, we say the same thing about the SEC getting 5-7 teams in, and we only get 2-4. This MAY be the year, but I wouldn't count on it. The SEC has a terrible habit of beating themselves out of the Big Dance year in and year out.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Breems on June 03, 2015, 12:16:13 pm
Every year, we say the same thing about the SEC getting 5-7 teams in, and we only get 2-4. This MAY be the year, but I wouldn't count on it. The SEC has a terrible habit of beating themselves out of the Big Dance year in and year out.

Yep.

Plus, the pretty consistent lack of respect year to year given the SEC (justifiable IMO) always seems to play a part.

jry04

The numbers do not lie. SEC teams' RPI was much better last year, and will be even better next year. Anyone who follows the RPI cannot argue that. The change in scheduling has done wonders. We only had a few teams outside of the top 100, where in past year we only had a few teams inside it.

intelligence

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2015, 10:45:19 am
We'll see. It wouldn't surprise me, but I'm not sure he'll have a lot of help offensively and that will hurt him.

I agree. I have high hopes for him personally because i think he can be a great player for us, but im tempering my expectations just in case he has the freshman woes.

intelligence

Quote from: jry04 on June 03, 2015, 01:27:43 pm
The numbers do not lie. SEC teams' RPI was much better last year, and will be even better next year. Anyone who follows the RPI cannot argue that. The change in scheduling has done wonders. We only had a few teams outside of the top 100, where in past year we only had a few teams inside it.

TAM, LSU, and UK are as good as locks. Ark, Florida, Tenn, SC, Aub are possibles

Hollywood_HOGan45

Auburn in the 2015 SECT.

jry04

Quote from: intelligence on June 03, 2015, 10:12:03 pm
TAM, LSU, and UK are as good as locks. Ark, Florida, Tenn, SC, Aub are possibles
Don't forget Vandy. Vandy is probably going to be the 4th best team in the league. They return just about everyone, including a first rounder in Damian Jones.

Also, Mississippi State will be a bubble team. They weren't that good this year, but Ben Howland is a pretty good coach and getting a top 5 recruit always puts you in position to make the NCAAT. They do not have a great roster, but they have a very experienced one. Pretty much everyone they have will be juniors or seniors, along with Malik Newman.

If I had to guess, UK, LSU, A&M, and Vandy are locks for the NCAAT. Then UF, Auburn, SC and MSU are all on the bubble.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jry04 on June 04, 2015, 10:03:34 am
Don't forget Vandy. Vandy is probably going to be the 4th best team in the league. They return just about everyone, including a first rounder in Damian Jones.

Also, Mississippi State will be a bubble team. They weren't that good this year, but Ben Howland is a pretty good coach and getting a top 5 recruit always puts you in position to make the NCAAT. They do not have a great roster, but they have a very experienced one. Pretty much everyone they have will be juniors or seniors, along with Malik Newman.

If I had to guess, UK, LSU, A&M, and Vandy are locks for the NCAAT. Then UF, Auburn, SC and MSU are all on the bubble.

Good analysis, sir.

intelligence

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 04, 2015, 12:18:52 pm
Good analysis, sir.

I have to agree. I must have missed Newman to MSU. thought he was UK bound for sure.

Slater

Based on what I read on this site, a lot of people will be very upset if the Hogs return to the tournament. Continually amazed at how many "fans" dislike the coach, style of play, recruiting, etc. 
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE