Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Iowa State???

Started by husker71, June 01, 2015, 09:53:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

a top 25 job??  I know the program is strong right now but if they lose Hoiberg???  I  don't think all the transfers will run to Ames if he leaves and recruiting has got to suffer some.  I don't think the magic will last after a season or 2 if he goes like expected.

Hawg Red

There's no "if." He's gone to the Bulls.

But, no, I do not think it's a top 25 program. They have a top 10 roster coming back, but that program hasn't ever be a top 25 national program and a Sweet 16 or two under FH doesn't change that.

sickboy

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 01, 2015, 10:14:14 pm
There's no "if." He's gone to the Bulls.

But, no, I do not think it's a top 25 program. They have a top 10 roster coming back, but that program hasn't ever be a top 25 national program and a Sweet 16 or two under FH doesn't change that.

One sweet sixteen appearance. Give Iowa State credit though... they made the Final Four in 1944.

latrops

Doesn't matter if it is a top 25 job or if they have historically had great success.  What matters is getting a really good coach.  A top coach tends to make the program.  They have some good things going for them that should enable them to hire someone good...in particular a talented roster and an energetic and enthusiastic fan base.  Working against them, however, is the timing of the change.  Most coaches looking to make a move already have.

root_hawg

No and going to promote top asst as head coach

husker71

^^^  that is also what I read.  Think (as after maybe coaches leave) that they will have 1 good season with previous coaches talent and then start to go down.  Just an example is Memphis after Calapari except Memphis has a built in talent base IMHO 

Cresthog

Who is going to start the requisite ISU TRANSFER THREAD?!??!!?

Will George Niang come here?!?!?!

Can we get Nick Babb back?!?!?!

Hawg Red

Quote from: Cresthog on June 02, 2015, 10:24:24 am
Who is going to start the requisite ISU TRANSFER THREAD?!??!!?

Will George Niang come here?!?!?!

Can we get Nick Babb back?!?!?!

Hey, I already started the Nick Babb return thread (half-heartedly).

WorfHog

They will be as long as Nick Babb is roaming the court up there.  ::)

hawginbigd1

IMO it is a fringe top 25 job. Good conference, good facility, and proven track record of the ability to pull in players. Find a coach as capable as Floyd or Hoiberg, and someone would be a perennial top 30 anyway.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: WorfHog on June 02, 2015, 10:37:03 am
They will be as long as Nick Babb is roaming the court up there.  ::)

You won't be laughing when Nick makes first team all American next year, turns pro, becomes a lottery pick, makes NBA rookie of the year and then becomes a perennial all-star with several MVPs and a couple of NBA championships sprinkled into the mix.

You will always be left with the what ifs of 2015 and how good we could have been with Babb The Great.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

PonderinHog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on June 02, 2015, 10:54:55 am
You won't be laughing when Nick makes first team all American next year, turns pro, becomes a lottery pick, makes NBA rookie of the year and then becomes a perennial all-star with several MVPs and a couple of NBA championships sprinkled into the mix.

You will always be left with the what ifs of 2015 and how good we could have been with Babb The Great.
I tried to tell y'all he was good!   >:(

husker71

thank you Mrs Babb for you comments on your sons future.  After retirement he can cure cancer, put a real end to climate change and broker peace between Islam and the rest of the world.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Regardless of whether it's a top program or not I think it was a TDM on Hoiberg's part to bail on his alma matter this late in the game.  They gave him the opportunity to be a HC when he had 0 experience.  They had no hopes of finding a quality replacement, and the signees are now past the deadline of getting released (at least I think they are).  I don't fault anyone for taking another job but in terms of loyalty/integrity it's no better than what Petrino has done to his former employers. 

My prediction is he fails in the NBA then goes back to another college program making more than he made at ISU.  Fact is his buyout for going to another school was 2mil but to the NBA it was only 500k.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hawgfan4life

Did you see their packed gym and rowdy crowd when we played them?  It reminded me a lot of our Barnhill days.  They are a team to be reckoned with and a formidable opponent at home. 

When you say top 25 program, that is somewhat misleading.  There are a dozen or so top programs that you expect to see in the top ten or competing to be in the top ten every year.  After those, there are about 50 schools that can crack the top 25 any given year and are potential top 25 teams.  AR is a top 25 team by that measuring stick.

TrueBlue

Hoiberg will last three years in Chicago. Tops.

Danny J

No...they are like Butler. I would say they are definitely in the top 50.

Hawg Red

Quote from: TrueBlue on June 02, 2015, 05:37:35 pm
Hoiberg will last three years in Chicago. Tops.

What makes you say this?

clutch

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on June 02, 2015, 05:08:28 pm
Regardless of whether it's a top program or not I think it was a TDM on Hoiberg's part to bail on his alma matter this late in the game.  They gave him the opportunity to be a HC when he had 0 experience.  They had no hopes of finding a quality replacement, and the signees are now past the deadline of getting released (at least I think they are).  I don't fault anyone for taking another job but in terms of loyalty/integrity it's no better than what Petrino has done to his former employers. 

My prediction is he fails in the NBA then goes back to another college program making more than he made at ISU.  Fact is his buyout for going to another school was 2mil but to the NBA it was only 500k.

I can't fault somebody for taking the Chicago Bulls job. That's a big time job and they've got a lot of talent to make a run at a championship. Most coaches want to test their abilities at the highest level possible, when you get that chance you take it. I think this is different than leaving your alma matter for another school.

Biggus Piggus

Regardless of how good a job Iowa State is, this is a very difficult time for a university to hire a new head coach.
[CENSORED]!

Hawg Red

So any college coach that accepts a job coaching a playoff team in the NBA is a dick? Get real, man. Hoiberg's been up front with EVERYONE for a while that he might go to the NBA. No one truly impacted is mad at him.

Biggus Piggus

When is anyone going to receive an offer from an NBA team? Especially a playoff team? Not at a time that is convenient for everyone involved. Integrity has nothing to do with it. Sheesh.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

When are recruits going to realize they need to stop going to a school simply because of the coach? Coaches can leave at any time, they can be fired at any time.

NCAA needs to allow one free transfer, no sitting out, not restrictions by the school you are leaving, IF the coach that was at your original school when you signed your LOI gets fired or leaves on his own.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawginbigd1

I am hearing Homer Drew, Drew family can coach, they will remain a top 25 progam with him.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on June 04, 2015, 02:55:35 pm
I am hearing Homer Drew, Drew family can coach, they will remain a top 25 progam with him.

No, you're hearing Bryce Drew.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 04, 2015, 03:10:28 pm
No, you're hearing Bryce Drew.
Homer, Bryce, or Scott there got em covered LOL!

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on June 04, 2015, 03:14:10 pm
Homer, Bryce, or Scott there got em covered LOL!

Would be brother vs brother in the Big 12, but I still think they go with the top assistant.

YoMama

Quote from: sickboy on June 01, 2015, 11:17:28 pm
One sweet sixteen appearance. Give Iowa State credit though... they made the Final Four in 1944.

1944   Final Four
1986 Sweet 16
1997 Sweet 16
2000 Elite Eight
2014 Sweet 16

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_State_Cyclones_men's_basketball#Postseason_tournament_history