Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State of the Hogs

Started by Thepigdoctor, May 20, 2015, 04:43:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 04, 2015, 08:39:24 am
The problem with almost every discussion in this forum is there are people jumping in who make assumptions when they know absolutely nothing about what is really going on.

Some of you need to get a grip on reality. Mike Anderson does not operate like most coaches. He does not bend the rules. He does not push the envelope on the rules.

He does not run players off because of a lack of production. As long as they are putting forth effort to improve he and his staff will continue to work with them.

This may tick some of you off but I promise you he's not going to change.

He's not going to recruit a 5 star with character issues. He's not going to make deals with AAU handlers. He's not going to fire Matt Zimmerman and hire Todd Day.

He really reminds me of Ken Hatfield who also did things his own way. A lot of fans had issues with him but he left on his own and to this day he has the highest winning percentage in the modern era of Razorback football. The difference is Anderson is supported by an AD who loves what he's done to correct the APR and off the court character problems that plagued Heath and Pelphrey.

Those are all things I like about MA. My concerns about him are strictly in recruiting and game management.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SexyBeast77

He really reminds me of Ken Hatfield who also did things his own way. A lot of fans had issues with him but he left on his own and to this day he has the highest winning percentage in the modern era of Razorback football. The difference is Anderson is supported by an AD who loves what he's done to correct the APR and off the court character problems that plagued Heath and Pelphrey.

Soooo
Ken Hatfield won 74% of his games and won the conference twice. 
Mike Anderson has won 64% of his games and has never won the conference. 
There is no comparison. Arkansas fans want an actual national championship (again) not an integrity national championship, or a moral victory victory national championship (trophy named after HDN), or an APR National Championship.
  Doing good things off the court is a good thing. Maybe Mike Anderson should run a PARK style program to help kids because he can't coach and he can't recruit.

secfan30

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on June 04, 2015, 12:24:47 pm
Soooo
There is no comparison. Arkansas fans want an actual national championship (again) not an integrity national championship, or a moral victory victory national championship (trophy named after HDN), or an APR National Championship.
  Doing good things off the court is a good thing. Maybe Mike Anderson should run a PARK style program to help kids because he can't coach and he can't recruit.

In personal ethics, running a program, and focusing on behaviors, yes there is a comparison. In fact this is the comparison Mike Irwin was speaking of.

Sometimes agendas blind people to obvious comments.

SexyBeast77

Quote from: secfan30 on June 04, 2015, 12:31:56 pm
In personal ethics, running a program, and focusing on behaviors, yes there is a comparison. In fact this is the comparison Mike Irwin was speaking of.

Sometimes agendas blind people to obvious comments.

Soooo,
Ken Hatfield can do good things off the field AND win the conference. Mike Anderson can only do one of those. Good. We all agree. End of Thread.  I'm ready to write my check to the new Mike Anderson Program to help troubled youth. 

wheelspigharvey

Soooo

Why waste so much time following a program you seem to hold so much contempt for?  This isn't a "go kick rocks" command, just a question.

hogsanity

Soooo

That is a terrible comparison. Trying to compare football records to basketball is absurd. The comparison is just in HOW they operate.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HOGINTENNESSEE

Soooo

He won the Big 12 conference tourney. Which is a better basketball league than the SEC.

But let's be honest you don't care about facts

mhuff

The problem with almost every discussion in this forum is there are people jumping in who make assumptions when they know absolutely nothing about what is really going on.

Some of you need to get a grip on reality. Mike Anderson does not operate like most coaches. He does not bend the rules. He does not push the envelope on the rules.

He does not run players off because of a lack of production. As long as they are putting forth effort to improve he and his staff will continue to work with them.

This may tick some of you off but I promise you he's not going to change.

He's not going to recruit a 5 star with character issues. He's not going to make deals with AAU handlers. He's not going to fire Matt Zimmerman and hire Todd Day.

I agree usually with most everything you say. However, the part about not replacing some of his staff to get someone that can recruit , I can not support. We have to have a coach who puts the program first instead of players or assistants. I believe that MA has this next year to recruit and if he is not successful, there will be an uprising for his replacement. You should only get so many years to prove that you can sustain a program. If he had only taken us to the NCAA's in his first three years, it would be more palatable to me. That is the time limit I would give anyone else. He got us there in four years. He now has to show us that he can sustain a program and improve in recruiting. Afterall, he wasn't within the top 75 coaches in the nation his first three years. When is the poll coming out for last year that would include his one successful year? His salary demands that he produces at a higher level.

Hatfield's run off..... I don't think he was fired...... was the biggest travesty of justice in the history of the school..... imho. However, if your staff can't get it done..... whoever the coach may be......whatever the sport, the program has to come first.

It is my belief that MA has asked some players to leave while he has been here. I actually think it better to ask the player to leave than altruistically not saying anything and wasting a player's eligibility somewhere else. Do both parties a favor..... That's why they pay him the big bucks.

mhuff

;D Sorry..... duplication...... erase

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 04, 2015, 01:00:38 pm
He won the Big 12 conference tourney. Which is a better basketball league than the SEC.

I think when you have to go back to his previous job at another school to support your argument, you're reaching.

He was talking about his production here, at the UA.  What he did at UM means zip, or at least it should.

It only meant something as a candidate for this job.  Once hired, the only consideration should be what he produces here.

Surely you can't disagree with that???
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

I get this, and I absolutely want us to win the right way, no question.  I'm glad Mike is the man he is.  He brings honor to the UA for operating the program in that manner, and I applaud him for that.

And, yes, Ken Hatfield (who was one of my all-time favorite Razorbacks!) was a Godly, moral man with uncompromising principles.  I still love the guy.

But ... his production in the SWC was at a time when that 74% is definitely illusory.  He got the max from his talent, but his teams would never have produced at those levels had he been competing in the old SWC (when Texas was Texas) or in the SEC of today.

Ken was not able to recruit the talent necessary to field nationally competitive teams, plain and simple.

I hope the analogy stops there with Mike, because if he and his staff can't recruit the talent he'll be an ex-coach we admire for being a quality man.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 04, 2015, 09:10:03 am
Those are all things I like about MA. My concerns about him are strictly in recruiting and game management.

Top 10 list of things you never thought you would hear from hogsanity about MA:

Number 10: "Those are all things I like about MA"

Number  9:  "My concerns about him are strictly in recruiting and game management" (seemed to go without saying)

Number  8:  ........
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 04, 2015, 01:22:22 pm
I think when you have to go back to his previous job at another school to support your argument, you're reaching.

He was talking about his production here, at the UA.  What he did at UM means zip, or at least it should.

It only meant something as a candidate for this job.  Once hired, the only consideration should be what he produces here.

He has a higher winning percent right now through the same number of games than Nolan did at this point

snortman

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 04, 2015, 01:00:38 pm

That's because he didn't have to play either Kansas or Texas A&M in the tourney (both won by double digits in reg. season over them).

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: snortman on June 04, 2015, 02:09:17 pm
That's because he didn't have to play either Kansas or Texas A&M in the tourney (both won by double digits in reg. season over them).

They also beat Kansas that season. But you of course left that out

hawginbigd1

Quote from: mhuff on June 04, 2015, 01:12:02 pm
I agree usually with most everything you say. However, the part about not replacing some of his staff to get someone that can recruit , I can not support. We have to have a coach who puts the program first instead of players or assistants. I believe that MA has this next year to recruit and if he is not successful, there will be an uprising for his replacement. You should only get so many years to prove that you can sustain a program. If he had only taken us to the NCAA's in his first three years, it would be more palatable to me. That is the time limit I would give anyone else. He got us there in four years. He now has to show us that he can sustain a program and improve in recruiting. Afterall, he wasn't within the top 75 coaches in the nation his first three years. When is the poll coming out for last year that would include his one successful year? His salary demands that he produces at a higher level.

Hatfield's run off..... I don't think he was fired...... was the biggest travesty of justice in the history of the school..... imho. However, if your staff can't get it done..... whoever the coach may be......whatever the sport, the program has to come first.

It is my belief that MA has asked some players to leave while he has been here. I actually think it better to ask the player to leave than altruistically not saying anything and wasting a player's eligibility somewhere else. Do both parties a favor..... That's why they pay him the big bucks.
+1 Hammer meet Nail! Nailed it!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 04, 2015, 02:08:16 pm
He has a higher winning percent right now through the same number of games than Nolan did at this point

Okay. 

Are we basing our review of our BB coaches by their win %, or by NCAA tourney success and conference championships?

If Mike finished his career with the career highest winning % ever at the UA, but only made the NCAA tourney one out of four years on average, would you still consider him the best coach ever at the UA??

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 04, 2015, 03:27:40 pm
Okay. 

Are we basing our review of our BB coaches by their win %, or by NCAA tourney success and conference championships?

If Mike finished his career with the career highest winning % ever at the UA, but only made the NCAA tourney one out of four years on average, would you still consider him the best coach ever at the UA??

I never said he was the best coach in Arkansas history but this and I quote "Maybe Mike Anderson should run a PARK style program to help kids because he can't coach" isn't true. He is a very good coach and he has proven that here and at his other stops. Is he an elite coach? He hasn't proven that yet. But we didn't know Nolan was elite until we gave him a chance to prove it.

Heck Frank almost fired Nolan after that NIT game against ASU.

Kevin

after winning two conference championships, hatfield was run off because he was loyal to his coaches, (broyles told him to make changes). the man helped win us a national championship as a player. but got run out of town.

no way, anderson gets the same treatment.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Deep Shoat

Soooo
I'm not exactly a big CMA fan, but this post (and your subsequent ones) are fricking stupid.
All Gas, No Brakes!

SexyBeast77

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 04, 2015, 01:22:22 pm

Thank you for saving me typing.

I just want to add that I really miss the Mike Anderson's third year is always great meme. UAB, Missouri. I felt silly after I got that Mike's 3rd year inner lip tattoo.   That was my favorite talking point.  The MA Fan Club hasn't found a new one to replace that one yet for year 5 (except maybe Nolan's 5th year did this). I love that one too. Sooo convincing.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Deep Shoat on June 04, 2015, 04:50:04 pm
I'm not exactly a big CMA fan, but this post (and your subsequent ones) are fricking stupid.

Lol +1

Mike Irwin

I agree usually with most everything you say. However, the part about not replacing some of his staff to get someone that can recruit , I can not support. We have to have a coach who puts the program first instead of players or assistants. I believe that MA has this next year to recruit and if he is not successful, there will be an uprising for his replacement.

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on June 04, 2015, 02:52:55 pm
+1 Hammer meet Nail! Nailed it!
Nailed it? Nailed what? Some of you people are confusing complaining on a message board with real life.

An "uprising for his replacement?" Seriously?

This not not a Frankenstein movie where outraged villagers storm the castle with pitchforks and torches. Who is going to lead this uprising? Some guys from the Jump Ball forum of Hogville?

Good luck with that.

snortman

Quote from: snortman on June 04, 2015, 02:09:17 pm

Let's see Missouri won by 2 at home and lost(typical of Anderson on the road by 25). They still had a very easy road to the title period.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 04, 2015, 07:05:40 pm
Nailed it? Nailed what? Some of you people are confusing complaining on a message board with real life.

This not not a Frankenstein movie where outraged villagers storm the castle with pitchforks and torches. Who is going to lead this uprising? Some guys from the Jump Ball forum of Hogville?

Good luck with that.
Yeah Mike go talk to the Alabama system president and board or even HDN and get back to me on this! How about you get some reality. To Mhuffs point if MA doesn't get some studs next year and build on what he has done to this point, the pitchforks will come out! Seriously it seems as if you are trying to be Schaefers understudy!

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 04, 2015, 07:05:40 pm

Good luck with that.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on June 04, 2015, 08:32:27 pm
Yeah Mike go talk to the Alabama system president and board or even HDN and get back to me on this! How about you get some reality. To Mhuffs point if MA doesn't get some studs next year and build on what he has done to this point, the pitchforks will come out! Seriously it seems as if you are trying to be Schaefers understudy!

Yeah, like that Petrino rally that worked so well. I think they had what 20 people there holding Long's feet to the fire.

Jek Tono Porkins

I just read through the whole thread. Here's the facts on the matter:

Mike just led Arkansas basketball to its best season since 1996. That would be 19 years.

Maybe he ends up like Houston Nutt. He's viewed as good at the time because he got Arkansas basketball out of the Heath/Pelphrey era but will eventually be viewed as mediocre, just like Nutt was seen as good at the time because he got Arkansas football out of Crowe/Kines/Ford era but was eventually seen as mediocre.

The difference is that I see absolutely ZERO parallels between the way that Mike conducts his program and the way Nutt conducted his program. In fact it's almost completely the opposite.

Mike is the real deal.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 04, 2015, 04:14:19 pm
I never said he was the best coach in Arkansas history but this and I quote "Maybe Mike Anderson should run a PARK style program to help kids because he can't coach" isn't true. He is a very good coach and he has proven that here and at his other stops. Is he an elite coach? He hasn't proven that yet. But we didn't know Nolan was elite until we gave him a chance to prove it.

Heck Frank almost fired Nolan after that NIT game against ASU.

Ignored my question.

aar0n

SexyBeast (Dbag name BTW) is either the most dramatic, ill-informed, and childish person I've ever seen on this board (and that's saying a LOT) or a mildly successful troll just throwing out his bait at the right time in our history.   I'm not one to launch a personal attack on someone on here, but good lord this guy is something else.   Hawginbigd1 is making a good attempt to take his crown though. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on June 04, 2015, 08:32:27 pm
You're comparing Mike Anderson to Houston Nutt? The two situations are not even remotely similar.

If any pitchforks come out it's going to be Lanny and his moderators coming to clean out this forum. They've been watching this nonsense build for a while now.

Tom Bennett just paid you guys a little visit in the now locked thread on Willy Kouassi.
Quote from: Tom Bennett on June 03, 2015, 06:36:59 am
Every now and then, I swing by Jump Ball just to see if it's as bad as others say it is.

It is.

He didn't post that for giggles.

Biggus Piggus

This statement alone is reason to question everything else you say. You say Hatfield was run off? You "don't think" he was fired? Good lord. Hatfield actively sought another job and left. He was a finalist for the Georgia job that went to Jim Donnan. The next year, he jumped for Clemson. Hatfield was not run off! Why do you think Broyles panicked and hired Jack Crowe to replace Hatfield? Broyles was not planning to replace his head coach who was coming off back-to-back Cotton Bowls. Broyles was not plotting a sinister coaching change on the eve of Arkansas's entry into the SEC. Broyles pressed Hatfield to upgrade his coaching staff -- Hatfield resisted -- and started looking for another job.

You must have spent a lot of time trying to draw bizarre analogies between Hatfield and Anderson, but it was wasted.
[CENSORED]!

farmhawg

Just lock the whole damn cesspool of a forum.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 04, 2015, 10:38:57 pm
Ignored my question.

Your question made no sense to me. If MA finished his career at Arkansas the highest winning percent in UA history it would be impossible for him to only make the NCAA 1 out of 4 years and do that.

TomBigBeeHog

WilsonHog

That would be an idea, except that would deprive our better posters with a place to discuss Razorback basketball. No sense throwing the baby out with the bath water.