Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Highest Vertical Leaper in Razorback History

Started by Porkem, March 02, 2014, 03:47:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who should be crowned the Skywalker King?

Michael Qualls
Sonny Weems
Brandon Dean
Antwon Hall
Derek Hood
Sunday Adebayo
Darrell Walker
Tony Brown
U.S. Reed
Sidney Moncrief
Marvin Delph
Ron Brewer
Ronnie Brewer
Frito Pie

popcornhog

Based on watching them, Brandon Dean seemed to get up the highest.
WPS

hambone

For me it would be Reid or Dean but I am surprised that Lenzie Howell was not on that list.

The guy was 6'3 to 6'4 and routinely dunked on big guys and got rebounds over em like it was nothing.

razorson

PonderinHog

Quote from: hambone on March 02, 2014, 06:17:41 pm
For me it would be Reid or Dean but I am surprised that Lenzie Howell was not on that list.

The guy was 6'3 to 6'4 and routinely dunked on big guys and got rebounds over em like it was nothing.
Yeah, but he had like a twelve foot wingspan...

Porkys Revenge

PigDaddyKane

The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

umpqua

Ray Biggers would have been in the top 10-12.

Wasn't William Mills killed in a bar parking lot on College? Wonder whatever became of that.

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 02, 2014, 04:53:12 pm
What happened to Hall? Didn't he peace out after that year?

He ended up at the same NAIA school in Oklahoma that Reggie Garrett transfered to the year before

HawgnCorona

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 02, 2014, 05:55:06 pm
Does anybody remember Keenan Dubose?

Oh yeah...from the Alvin Robertson years or Eddie Sutton .
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

PORKULATOR

Quote from: BPsTheMan on March 02, 2014, 03:54:21 pm
uh, Mike Conley

/thread
correct answer right there. International triple jump star and won every dunk contest he entered. His vert was 48-50 inches. I think Sid is second at 45. Out of the choices, I choose Sidney, add Mike Conley and, well.....
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PonderinHog

Quote from: HawgnCorona on March 02, 2014, 06:56:33 pm
Oh yeah...from the Alvin Robertson years or Eddie Sutton .
He only played one year, but he was highly touted out of Texas and he had frog legs.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Rocket23 on March 02, 2014, 04:25:36 pm
Mike Conley took off from the free throw line before Jordan made it popular. 
Conley took off from 2 feet behind the ft line, clutched the ball behind his head, dunked it with TWO HANDS and grabbed it one handed off the bounce while still hanging on the rim left handed and shucked it thru again. It got a 50 out of 50.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

LZH

Quote from: Porkem on March 02, 2014, 04:07:02 pm
William Mills was more of a glider, or a long jumper, if I remember correctly. I had a speech class with Mills, when I was in college. He proclaimed he was "the most exciting man on campus." He was a colorful and charismatic dude, without a doubt. He didn't like to go to class though. Remember telling some students about William one time at a party. Said he was a colorful guy, when he went to class. Some girl out of nowhere, piped up and said, "That's not true! I woke him up every day, for a whole semester."

He was at UALR for about 5 minutes.  Gave him a ride in the rain one day, we ended up blowing off class and driving around and uh, ya know, getting happy.  He was a helluva talent but couldn't outrun his demons.

BTW, I don't know if I've ever seen anyone with hops like Brandon Dean.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 02, 2014, 06:20:56 pm
no, but do you remember Landis Williams?
I do remember the name, but that's about it.

bvillepig

Some great names.

Larry Marks and Ron Huery also had some hops.

Sonny Weems won the NCAA slam dunk contest they have during the Final Four.

U-A Filthy Pig

Sidney Moncrief still my all time fav but "Downtown" Tony Brown had some thunderous dunks back in the day.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Jannero Pargo blocked a shot while at Arkansas that, I swear, he had 12 foot of air...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Porkem

Good posts, guys. It's a tough call. The ideal scenario would be to hang some twenty dollar bills from some kind of a string, with a measuring tape, or some kind of high-tech measuring device, right above the player. Cash is a great motivator and producer of results.

The prize would be for who could jump the highest, straight up, from a standing position. Now if it was a running start, Conley would win hands down, but he was a track star and shouldn't count. Personally, I think Marvelous Marvin Delph would win it. Qualls and Dean and Super Sid would be right there, but guys, I'm going with Marvin Delph.

Well, time for the Oscars.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

Oklahawg

Quote from: BallHog1 on March 02, 2014, 05:17:02 pm
Good lord, could you summarize, I don't have a week to read this.

By the time you did your hunt/peck to type that response you could have read half of the post. Geez.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Delph
Hawkins
Dean
Qualls

all applauding the first place finisher, Adebayo. Best hops ever at UA.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Wild Bill Hog

Given the poll choices I would say Sidney and Tony Brown.  Conley was the king though.

upperdeck_hawg

I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

HogSophist

No love for al Dillard yet. A bit shocked.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: HogSophist on March 02, 2014, 08:10:57 pm
No love for al Dillard yet. A bit shocked.

His shot could elevate - Al not so much.

HogSophist

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 02, 2014, 08:12:10 pm
His shot could elevate - Al not so much.

I remember an in game off the floor pass to himself dunk. Maybe my mind is slipping. 
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

Boog41

All of the guys mentioned in this thread were great leapers and I'm sure they were all measured at some point. To me there are two kinds of jumps, running and standing.... the difference being like a break-a-way slam and an under the basket rebound. I'm not saying he had the highest, but I can say I personally saw Greg Skulman have a standing 39" measured vertical.

LZH

Quote from: HogSophist on March 02, 2014, 08:18:36 pm
I remember an in game off the floor pass to himself dunk. Maybe my mind is slipping. 

Yeah, he did.  It was at the end of the game.  He could get up.

I think that's why he had such range, he really put his legs into his shot.

secfan30

Didn't the NCAA change the rule for jump ball because of Sindey Moncrief?

HF#1

Qualls gets up pretty good and I think he would qualify as the most exciting dunker.  Not sure he tops everyone in vertical jumping ability but man you know when he's in the open court something special is going to happen.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

rwspear

Pigonometry

Baseball is simple, but never easy.

arkansastrack

Has to be Mike Conley hands down and I believe he did play basketball as a freshman. Just watch his dunks in this video. He would win any NBA dunk contest hands down.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xsbwoBQAqAE

Sonny Weems was out jumped by a 5'10" guy from Harrison in the high jump back when he was in high school.
http://parser.dyestat.com/search.jsp?meetID=21873#.UxP6gn-9KSN

rusvegashog

Why is it that whenever this gets brought up no one ever says Olu Famutimi? Be careful what u read and believe on message boards though one post above has Brandon Dean winning an NBA dunk contest and another has Mike Conley  dunking from the free throw line two handed. Someone said Kareem Reid? Michael Qualls is in that top 5 I'm sure.

hogs24

Quote from: HogFan#1 on March 02, 2014, 08:27:10 pm
Qualls gets up pretty good and I think he would qualify as the most exciting dunker.  Not sure he tops everyone in vertical jumping ability but man you know when he's in the open court something special is going to happen.
gets me on the edge of my seat every time.
Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

arkansastrack

Quote from: rusvegashog on March 02, 2014, 09:53:49 pm
Why is it that whenever this gets brought up no one ever says Olu Famutimi? Be careful what u read and believe on message boards though one post above has Brandon Dean winning an NBA dunk contest and another has Mike Conley  dunking from the free throw line two handed. Someone said Kareem Reid?
Conley dunked from a foot inside the free throw line with 2 hands which is far more impressive than Jordan's free throw dunk considering Conley is 6'1". The video evidence is there to watch.

rusvegashog

Quote from: arkansastrack on March 02, 2014, 10:02:16 pm
Conley dunked from a foot inside the free throw line with 2 hands which is far more impressive than Jordan's free throw dunk considering Conley is 6'1". The video evidence is there to watch.
I apologize and I stand corrected. Wow I had never seen that before. That's insane. Deon was awfully impressive too. In fact when I reread the post I saw that someone had mentioned Olu. I guess that was not my best post calling out others. LOL. My bad. I do think that Famutimi gets forgotten though.

bvillepig

It is a shame Olu tore a knee before he came to campus. I would have loved to have seen the before instead of the after.

userpick

BPsTheMan

I was so hoping Brandon Dean would play one year of football for the Hogs at DB or WR after his basketball career.

We shall never know.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: arkansastrack on March 02, 2014, 09:50:59 pm
Has to be Mike Conley hands down and I believe he did play basketball as a freshman. Just watch his dunks in this video. He would win any NBA dunk contest hands down. u

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xsbwoBQAqAE

Sonny Weems was out jumped by a 5'10" guy from Harrison in the high jump back when he was in high school.
http://parser.dyestat.com/search.jsp?meetID=21873#.UxP6gn-9KSN
This is kinda proof of the dunk I described earlier, except he jumped from further and slammed it viciously enough that it bounced back up to him so he grabbed it and shucked it thru. My best bro had it on vhs recorded off abc circa 89-90. Best dunk I've ever seen.

rusvegashog

PORKULATOR

Quote from: razorson on March 02, 2014, 06:18:46 pm
Eugene "the dunkln machine" Nash
He was my favorite player when I was like 8. Before and after was always Moncrief.

rusvegashog

March 02, 2014, 10:43:53 pm #93 Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:54:27 pm by rusvegashog
Quote from: bvillepig on March 02, 2014, 10:22:29 pm
It is a shame Olu tore a knee before he came to campus. I would have loved to have seen the before instead of the after.
No doubt. He was still pretty electric. I know reported verticals can be like fish stories sometimes, but were talking 45 reported. Now I doubt that very seriously but what do I know. Dean is reported to have had a 39 inch vertical.

Beaverfever

I think they claimed Barry Jordan had a 44 inch vertical. 

bigredone

I heard a story about Tony Brown. He was asked if he could really pull a dollar bill off the top of the backboard and supposedly his reply was "Maybe a five".

DOGALUM

Anyone that was around the HYPER in the 90s knew what kind of hops Landis Williams had.  He threw down some dunks there that were insane.   Craig Tyson could jump out of the gym.  Dean, Olu, hard to say.....
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

LZH

Quote from: DOGALUM on March 03, 2014, 12:36:53 am
Anyone that was around the HYPER in the 90s knew what kind of hops Landis Williams had.  He threw down some dunks there that were insane.   

Boy there's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Wahls

I'm really surprised at the lack of discussion about US Reed...
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

dhornjr1

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 02, 2014, 05:55:06 pm
Does anybody remember Keenan Dubose?

From Killleen, Texas. I sat behind him and Joe Kleine at a Harrison/Springdale game at Springdale in 1983. My dad was doing the play-by-play for Harrison and I ran down and told him that they were there. He asked me to go back up and ask them for an interview. They were both kinda shocked,  but agreed.

DeBose was wearing his Killeen letter jacket with a large "K" on it. In my eleven year old mind, I thought he was wearing a jacket with the initial of his first name on it.