Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Todd Golden Era at Florida

Started by jbcarol, March 18, 2022, 04:45:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Todd Golden continues dominance of Mike White's UGA squad

Yet Bama looms

Paul Harvey | 6 minutes ago

QuoteTodd Golden and Florida are clicking this season, adding another win over Mike White and Georgia Thursday evening.

In the second round of the SEC Basketball Tournament, Golden's Gators took down Georgia 85-80 behind 22 points from Walter Clayton Jr. Tyrese Samuel and Will Richard also produced 17 points, including a 15-rebound double-double from Samuel to get into Friday's quarterfinals.

It's a story the two teams have grown accustomed to since Georgia reached into Gainesville to hire White away and Florida pivoted to hiring Golden.

Gators are 5-0 against White since he took the UGA job in 2022 and are projected as a 7-seed in Joe Lunardi's latest bracketology

Bigger goals await Friday night
While continuing to haunt Georgia is fun, Florida has bigger goals in the SEC Tournament. After all, the Gators have not cut down the nets in the SEC since 2014 when Florida swept the outright SEC and SEC Tournament titles.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jay Bilas heaps praises on Florida Gators

Jay believes their stock's rising ahead of Selection Sunday

by:
Steve Samra

QuoteBilas believes the Florida Gators are on the rise ahead of Selection Sunday and the NCAA Tournament.

During Saturday's edition of College GameDay, Bilas explained why he's a big believer in the Gators at the moment, and why a sizable run isn't out of the question, as the madness looms large:

"I would say Florida," Bilas responded, asked for a team who's stock is rising. "I think Todd Golden has done a great job with that program. Florida is one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country. Their guards are dynamic. They can go off the dribble. They can knock down threes. Early in the season, I thought Florida was kind of like a King Air. Kind of bouncing around at low altitudes.

"Now, in the last month, they have become a jet. I mean, they are rolling. it is really impressive to watch Florida play."

Coming off a huge win over Alabama on Friday, Florida is looking to stay alive in the SEC Tournament, with a clash against Texas A&M next
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Does Todd Golden's 'meritocracy' have Gators on verge of an SEC championship :hmmm:
Neil Blackmon | 

QuoteGolden likes to call his Florida basketball program a "meritocracy."

Golden will play you if you practice well. He will sit you if you do not. A former walk-on at St. Mary's who became the team's sole captain by his senior year, leading the Gaels to multiple NCAA Tournament appearances, Golden doesn't care if you are an equipment manager, a walk-on, or a preseason All-SEC media selection. If you show you can impact winning in practice, you will play.

"If you come in here, whether you're a freshman or senior, if you prove to give us the best chance to win you're gonna be on the court," Golden told assembled media in Gainesville earlier this month.

Plenty of coaches say that practice matters, or suggest that stars don't get special treatment.

Fewer coaches back up that talk with their actions. (Like Calipari :hmmm: )

jbcarol

Bruce Pearl praises what Todd Golden has accomplished at Florida

Compares him to Billy Donovan

by:
Alex Weber

QuoteAhead of Auburn's SEC Tournament title bout with Florida, ESPN's Marty Smith caught up with head coach Bruce Pearl:

"I mean, we've been talking about trying to not lose again. That's been our focus here in March, because I know, to the victor goes the spoils," he told Smith. In particular, though, this SEC Tournament run is something Pearl understands as meaningful to the fans and program.

"I also know what it's like for a community, our Auburn family, to travel to Nashville. You don't want to lose the first game. Parents gotta go home, the band's gotta go home, cheerleaders gotta go home. You want them to be able to stay in Nashville for a weekend and play for a championship. I'm confident were going to have a bunch of Auburn people driving up the highway from Alabama to cheer on the Tigers today."

For him personally, the matchup with Golden is personal since the second-year Florida head coach was once an assistant on Pearl's first couple staffs when he took over the Auburn job nearly a decade ago. Plus, Golden played under Pearl at the 2009 Maccabiah Games during his time in the Israeli Basketball Premier League.

Now that Todd Golden himself is a rising SEC coaching star, Bruce Pearl is thrilled for him but still wants badly to beat him today.

"Well, he's brought life back into the program, you know, kind of reminds me of the Billy Donovan days. I do not want to be a gracious loser this afternoon. But I'm very proud of Todd, happy for him and his family."

jbcarol

Todd Golden announces injured Florida center Micah Handlogten will join team in Indianapolis

by:
Grant Grubbs

QuoteOnly two and a half minutes into Florida's matchup against Auburn in the SEC Tournament Championship, UF center Micah Handlogten went down with a season-ending injury. Handlogten was taken off the floor on a stretcher and later diagnosed with a fracture to his lower left leg.

While Handlogten's season has come to an end, Florida can only hope its journey is far from over. Ahead of the team's NCAA Tournament showdown on Friday, Florida head coach Todd Golden revealed Handlogten will join the team in Indianapolis to cheer on his fellow Gators.

"I think it'll be a huge lift for him and kind of get his spirits back. He's honestly in great spirits, all things considered. Way better spirits than I'd be in, to be honest. But it's going to be a huge lift for the team also," Golden said Monday. "It obviously shook everybody up a lot. I think we're still feeling it a little bit. But it gives us a great thing to rally around in the tournament.

"Everybody really respects Micah. Everybody loves him as a teammate. He's one of, if not the best, teammates that we have and to have him there I think will bring joy to everybody. My hope is that the guys want to do everything they can to play their butts off for him on Friday."

Florida will miss the 7-foot-1 talent.

jbcarol

Jamie Shaw@JamieShaw5

Hampton junior Tristan Maxwell has entered the Transfer Portal @On3sports has learned.

The 6-2 guard started 24 games and averaged 6.3 points this season. He is the son of former Houston Rocket and NBA Champion Vernon Maxwell.

https://on3.com/db/tristan-maxwell-116434

Salty spork

Quote from: jbcarol on April 15, 2024, 01:27:17 pmJamie Shaw@JamieShaw5

Hampton junior Tristan Maxwell has entered the Transfer Portal @On3sports has learned.

The 6-2 guard started 24 games and averaged 6.3 points this season. He is the son of former Houston Rocket and NBA Champion Vernon Maxwell.

https://on3.com/db/tristan-maxwell-116434

This is my back yard. Am I supposed. To be the bagman here?

I only have Walmart sacks. Will a Walmart sack full of gumballs do it?

jbcarol

Quote from: Salty spork on April 15, 2024, 05:05:41 pmThis is my back yard. Am I supposed. To be the bagman here?

I only have Walmart sacks. Will a Walmart sack full of gumballs do it?

Gumball Challenge | Cash Envelope

jbcarol

Joe Tipton@TiptonEdits

NEWS: Washington State transfer center Rueben Chinyelu has committed to Florida, he tells @On3sports.

The 6-11, 245-pound freshman chose the Gators over Mississippi State.

https://on3.com/college/florida-gators/news/florida-gators-land-commitment-from-6-foot-11-washington-state-transfer-center

jbcarol

@TiptonEdits

NEWS: Florida Atlantic transfer guard Alijah Martin has committed to Florida, @On3sports has learned.

The 6-2 junior averaged 13.1 points and 5.9 rebounds per game this season.

https://on3.com/college/florida-gators/news/florida-atlantic-transfer-guard-alijah-martin-commits-to-florida