Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A few thoughts about the NMSU game after sleeping on it.

Started by ShadowTheHedgehog, October 01, 2017, 01:16:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowTheHedgehog

October 01, 2017, 01:16:33 pm Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:28:47 pm by ShadowTheHedgehog
The stadium looked to me like it was 3/4 full at the start of the game, about half full at the middle of the third quarter, and about 1/5 at the middle of the fourth. The student section was pretty much empty by the end of the game. It was, however, an 11 o'clock game, the game was never in doubt, and it was uncomfortable hot in the stands.

Now to some game observations:

We had zero pass-rush on the NMSU QB. This was INMO the main reason for their success in the passing game. Our secondary is young and inexperienced but they did cover the WRs well on the initial routes. Most of the big gains came mainly from NMSU WRs improvising and eventually getting open while their QB could just sit back and wait until he had a target. If we had pressured the NMSU QB while the WRs were running their initial routes (and were covered) they would had been far less successful.

Offensive play calling:

It was very obvious that the play calling philosophy changes on short yardage and goal line situations. I understand that this is normal, but I am talking about a monumental shift. Going from a creative play calling to the same stubborn attempts with the same formations, plays, and personnel. It was very easy for our group to predict about 75-80% of the plays that would be called in those situations (and the result). This is something that reminded us of the HDN days.

Nance could be the new go-to WR. (Like Morgan, Nance was low in the depth chart. I don't understand how they were not evaluated more accurately).

Our running game was better than the stats show. We could had gained more yards (TDs) by giving all the carries to the HB that was "hot" at the time. Instead we distributed the carries among all the HBs (even those that were struggling a bit at fist), to give them all more experience. I think this was by design to get them all ready for SEC play.

The O-Line will get AA killed. I am not sure AA has regressed as much as some people think he is just running for his life most of the time. Enos needs to call some faster developing passing plays. Those slow developing plays fail 80% of the time. (I think this is part of AA's frustration). He threw some very accurate passes into pretty tight windows when he had time to plant his feet and throw.

Finally, LSU paid Troy $985K to beat them on homecoming. I take a 42-24 win over that.

PS: Please  don't play "Oh God Lord it's hard to be humble ..." until we win some SEC games.

WPS!!

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on October 01, 2017, 01:16:33 pm
The stadium looked to me like it was 3/4 full at the start of the game, about half full at the middle of the third quarter, and about 1/5 at the middle of the fourth. The student section was pretty much empty by the end of the game. It was, however, an 11 o'clock game, the game was never in doubt, and it was uncomfortable hot in the stands.

Now to some game observations:

We had zero pass-rush on the NMSU QB. This was INMO the main reason for their success in the passing game. Our secondary is young and inexperienced but they did cover the WRs well on the initial routes. Most of the big gains came mainly from NMSU WRs improvising and eventually getting open while their QB could just sit back and wait until he had a target. If we had pressured the NMSU QB while the WRs were running their initial routes (and were covered) they would had been far less successful.

Offensive play calling:

It was very obvious that the play calling philosophy changes on short yardage and goal line situations. I understand that this is normal, but I am talking about a monumental shift. Going from a creative play calling to the same stubborn attempts with the same formations, plays, and personnel. It was very easy for our group to predict about 75-80% of the plays that would be called in those situations (and the result). This is something that reminded us of the HDN days.

Nance could be the new go-to WR. (Like Morgan, Nance was low in the depth chart. I don't understand how they were not evaluated more accurately).

Our running game was better than the stats show. We could had gained more yards (TDs) by giving all the carries to the HB that was "hot" at the time. Instead we distributed the carries among all the HBs (even those that were struggling a bit at fist), to give them all more experience. I think this was by design to get them all ready for SEC play.

The O-Line will get AA killed. I am not sure AA has regressed as much as some people think he is just running for his life most of the time. Enos needs to call some faster developing passing plays. Those slow developing plays fail 80% of the time. (I think this is part of AA's frustration). He threw some very accurate passes into pretty tight windows when he had time to plant his feet and throw.

Finally, LSU paid Troy $985K to beat them on homecoming. I take a 42-24 win over that.

PS: Please  don't play "O God it's hard to be humble ..." until we win some SEC games.

WPS!!

"O God it's hard to be humble" ?! 

Ironhawg

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on October 01, 2017, 01:16:33 pm

PS: Please  don't play "Oh God Lord it's hard to be humble ..." until we win some SEC games.

WPS!!

Please just make that 'Hard to be Humble' song go away forever.  I have hated that thing from the first time I heard it.

factchecker

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 01, 2017, 03:43:07 pm

Please just make that 'Hard to be Humble' song go away forever.  I have hated that thing from the first time I heard it.

It's a tradition.  Not for you but for the student section and alumni.  You probably complain about our alma mater and wonder why everyone is "pointing to the sky".

Hint: We are pointing to Old Main.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Ironhawg

Quote from: factchecker on October 01, 2017, 03:45:08 pm
It's a tradition.  Not for you but for the student section and alumni.  You probably complain about our alma mater and wonder why everyone is "pointing to the sky".

Hint: We are pointing to Old Main.

No, I am familiar with the alma mater and love it.  I do not and have never liked this 'tradition' and since I am as entitled to my opinion as you are, feel free to stuff it.

factchecker

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 01, 2017, 03:47:21 pm

No, I am familiar with the alma mater and love it.  I do not and have never liked this 'tradition' and since I am as entitled to my opinion as you are, feel free to stuff it.

Your opinion about a tradition intended for students and alumni is worthless.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

The_Iceman

We decided to take away their run game and force them to pass. While they got some yards and a few points, their stud RB got nothing.

lakecityhog

Is that your opinion or a fact? I don't care for the song, but if it makes the students happy more power to 'em.

KennyForAD

It was awesome back when we had good sports.  Now it seems a little .. nonsensical.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 01, 2017, 04:53:14 pm
We decided to take away their run game and force them to pass. While they got some yards and a few points, their stud RB got nothing.
Is it possible we sacrificed rushing the Passer for covering the receivers?  And I'm not advocating this strategy. Going back to Tom Landry,  bend but don't break drives me crazy.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

elksnort

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 01, 2017, 04:55:50 pm
Is that your opinion or a fact? I don't care for the song, but if it makes the students happy more power to 'em.
well, maybe the student should be at the game instead of frat parties

King

Do you think the stale goal-line numbers were in part to pad somebody's stats, as in, "we need to get Williams/Whaley etc. a TD in this game"?

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on October 01, 2017, 05:57:30 pm
well, maybe the student should be at the game instead of frat parties

I figure they are like the posters on here, some were, some weren't.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: pigasaurus on October 01, 2017, 05:47:47 pm
Is it possible we sacrificed rushing the Passer for covering the receivers?  And I'm not advocating this strategy. Going back to Tom Landry,  bend but don't break drives me crazy.

If so this was only a partial success. The cover was decent at first, but without the pressure, their QB could wait until someone eventually came open.

elksnort

Quote from: ricepig on October 01, 2017, 06:17:45 pm
I figure they are like the posters on here, some were, some weren't.
According to my daughter, they don't like the 11 am starts. I was disappointed that she wasn't actually at the game but nothing I can do from here. Not sure about your child

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: elksnort on October 01, 2017, 06:25:47 pm
According to my daughter, they don't like the 11 am starts. I was disappointed that she wasn't actually at the game but nothing I can do from here. Not sure about your child
Of course they don't.  They're mostly still in bed and/or suffering from a hangover.  A lot of students that is.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

elksnort

Quote from: Hogvillage Idiot on October 01, 2017, 06:33:04 pm
Of course they don't.  They're mostly still in bed and/or suffering from a hangover.  A lot of students that is.
Love the avitar. 
Yeah I hear you what out hogs get their darn together maybe they won't be at the 11 slot all the time

MissippHog

Quote from: King on October 01, 2017, 06:09:46 pm
Do you think the stale goal-line numbers were in part to pad somebody's stats, as in, "we need to get Williams/Whaley etc. a TD in this game"?
It sure felt like they were trying every way possible to get Williams a TD. 

factchecker

Quote from: elksnort on October 01, 2017, 06:39:29 pm
Love the avitar. 
Yeah I hear you what out hogs get their darn together maybe they won't be at the 11 slot all the time

11 am games Razorbacks have played -

2007 season: 2 games - Tennessee and Cotton Bowl
2008 season: 2 games - Alabama and Florida
2009 season: 4 games - Auburn, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Mississippi State
2010 season: 2 games - Georgia and Ole Miss
2011 season: 3 games - SW Classic, Ole Miss, and Vandy
2012 season: 6 games - SW Classic, Auburn, Ole Miss, Tulsa, South Carolina, Miss State
2013 season: 4 games - Southern Miss, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Miss State
2014 season: 1 game - UAB
2015 season: 1 game - Auburn
2016 season: 1 game - Alcorn State
2017 season: TBD - 2 so far with the SW Classic and New Mexico State
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

1highhog

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on October 01, 2017, 06:19:42 pm
If so this was only a partial success. The cover was decent at first, but without the pressure, their QB could wait until someone eventually came open.

Then we failed to cover their receiver's.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: factchecker on October 01, 2017, 06:48:41 pm
11 am games Razorbacks have played -

2007 season: 2 games - Tennessee and Cotton Bowl
2008 season: 2 games - Alabama and Florida
2009 season: 4 games - Auburn, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Mississippi State
2010 season: 2 games - Georgia and Ole Miss
2011 season: 3 games - SW Classic, Ole Miss, and Vandy
2012 season: 6 games - SW Classic, Auburn, Ole Miss, Tulsa, South Carolina, Miss State
2013 season: 4 games - Southern Miss, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Miss State
2014 season: 1 game - UAB
2015 season: 1 game - Auburn
2016 season: 1 game - Alcorn State
2017 season: TBD - 2 so far with the SW Classic and New Mexico State

Yeah, the 2009 11am start against Nutt and Ole Miss is burned into the old hate box!
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: King on October 01, 2017, 06:09:46 pm

Yes and no. I don't think it was done to pad the stats but mainly experience and confidence.

JaketheSnake

Subtle differences in goal line plays. Pulling guard vs a fullback lead or both or neither.  Kicking out can leading into the hole.

DeltaBoy

We did good enough to win by 18 points. I'll take it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jim Harris

I concur.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson