Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A-State Issues Statement Regarding Football Game vs Miami

Started by Seminole Indian, September 06, 2017, 11:12:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

JONESBORO, Ark. (9/6/17) – Arkansas State Director of Athletics Terry Mohajir has issued the following statement regarding the Red Wolves' home football game versus Miami that was previously scheduled for this Saturday, Sept. 9.

"Having lived in Palm Beach County for seven years, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone in South Florida as they prepare for Hurricane Irma.

Over the past 24 hours I had numerous exchanges with University of Miami Athletics Director Blake James, offering to make additional accommodations for his players and program to assist them with their trip to Memphis and Jonesboro.  This morning I spoke with Blake (James), who informed me their team will not be making the trip to Jonesboro to play in our game this Saturday.

I appreciate the Sun Belt Conference office, Commissioner Karl Benson and ESPN's work to give us the option to move the game and broadcast to Friday night, which gave the University of Miami an alternative.  Ultimately, the Miami administration made the decision not to travel.

We are currently working through all the variables associated with the game not being played.  We will keep the fan base and media updated as we know more."

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=211665733
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Michaelt

Realizing that's a difficult decision to make just 4 days from gameday, I can understand AD James making the decision to not travel his team and possibly have the difficult position of not being able to return. Also, you would have to imagine these kids focus would not be on football, but on family, friends, etc.

I don't have any qualms with the decision to not play the game.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Seminole Indian

That the game should not be played anywhere, anytime this week, is a no-brainer. 

Miami officials made the right decision.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Michaelt

Seminole Indian

September 06, 2017, 09:31:34 pm #7 Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 07:18:05 am by Seminole Indian
Here is A-States AD's comments about the game, and both schools efforts.

A-State trying to get an FCS for November 4th is interesting. Wonder if UCA is available?

https://twitter.com/953theticket/status/905590747260444678

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Michaelt on September 06, 2017, 03:01:35 pm
You had to figure someone would run with something like that...

You know the fans, and the media that cover the other Florida schools are going to have some fun with it.

DEVIL DOG HOG

IMO Miami should play the game just to get its players out of the path of the hurricane. 
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Seminole Indian

September 07, 2017, 08:42:40 am #10 Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 09:02:17 am by Seminole Indian
Think that is  what Wisconsin and Florida Atlantic officials are thinking.........get out of harms way.

A-State offered to assist Miami in the same way Wisconsin has offered to assist FAU.

"Wisconsin and Florida Atlantic will play as scheduled Saturday despite travel concerns for the Owls as Hurricane Irma approaches Florida, Wisconsin announced on Wednesday."

https://www.landof10.com/wisconsin/wisconsins-game-vs-fau-played-scheduled-despite-approach-hurricane-irma

DeltaBoy

Shame on the Canes for using bad weather to duck out of a game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

holeinthewall

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on September 07, 2017, 08:23:49 am
IMO Miami should play the game just to get its players out of the path of the hurricane.

The players were released. Most went home. The remaining ones are busing to Orlando as a group.  So they are traveling somewhere to use the time to prepare for FSU like some thought might happen.

I know there are a lot of people pissed they aren't making the trip.  I for one definitely am as I am a Miami fan.  I had great seats. Just got my refund through ASU.  But I bought a 3 game mini plan to get great seats and now I have tickets I won't use and I don't get to see the game I wanted and had been waiting 4 years for.

I agree though they should have come up for the game stayed in Memphis or Atlanta to prepare for FSU.  The biggest factor IMO is they knew the kids with families in south Florida would not be focused at all on the game. 

ricepig

Florida has now cancelled their game on Saturday, no makeup date.

TomasPistola

Miami didn't want to play the game. No question. Poor sportsmanship IMO. Good on A-state to make every effort.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

ricepig

Quote from: TomasPistola on September 07, 2017, 07:19:55 pm
Miami didn't want to play the game. No question. Poor sportsmanship IMO. Good on A-state to make every effort.

USF and Florida have cancelled their games this afternoon.

Seminole Indian

HogCzar1

Quote from: TomasPistola on September 07, 2017, 07:19:55 pm

Notice Mark Richt had a twitter comment tonight referring to comments such as this. I applaud ASU for making every effort. They did all they could do. Richt, however, said they haven't practiced since Tuesday due to evacuation efforts. Yesterday, the leader of the ASU board wrote a diatribe that implied Miami was scared, and that no other games were cancelled. Obviously, that's wrong.

It's truly amazing to think that there are people who would encourage the school administrators to prioritize the football game in a situation such as this. These folks may be faced with areas that may be uninhabitable for an extended period of time after this is over. 

It's unfortunate this happened. Perhaps arrangements can still be made. It doesn't help ASU's case to continue to belly ache about Miami being scared. Rather, they should try to make the best of this they can. The ASU administration has handled this well.

GolfNut57

As a Red Wolf fan I am not happy the game was cancelled. But I understand why Miami did it. Yes the players and all team personnel would be safe in Jonesboro. But their minds would not be on the game. They might even be so distracted that ASU could actually pull off the upset. As much as I would like to see ASU beat a P5 team I would believe that one would be a hollow victory and a crappy way to win. I want the opposition to be at their best so that there is no excuses for the loss.

Of course had Irma not happened I expected ASU to lose the game anyway. It would have been closer than some think but still a likely loss of 21 points or less. Still would have been a good game to go see anyway.

What's really going to hurt ASU in this is the loss of all the income the school and town both will lose by the game not being played. Add in that it also means ASU will only have 11 games in the regular season vs 12 and only 5 home games. Thus the reason a lot of Red Wolves fans are angry about it.

One last comment. For those here knocking the ASU fans for being mad over it.....glass houses and such. I would bet that if the game was vs the hogs and was cancelled this board would have been the very same as the ASU board is now.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Michaelt

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20623271/florida-gators-cancel-home-game-northern-colorado-due-hurricane-irma

Seems almost all of the Florida schools have cancelled their games this weekend.

Florida
Florida State
UCF
Miami
USF

I still say these schools are doing what they feel is best for their students, families, and communities and I applaud them for putting safety and the concern over playing a game.

I think Florida Atlantic is the only team that is still playing, visiting Wisconsin on Saturday, and Wisconsin officials have said they will help all they can if the team cannot return to Florida over the weekend or early next week.

Seminole Indian

While I think all the games should have been cancelled, I'm not critical of FAU because they got team out of harms way.

Still don't see how the FAU players can concentrate on the game, but they are safe.

Michaelt

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 08, 2017, 08:58:16 am
While I think all the games should have been cancelled, I'm not critical of FAU because they got team out of harms way.

Still don't see how the FAU players can concentrate on the game, but they are safe.

I agree with all three of your statements.

HogCzar1

Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 07, 2017, 11:20:36 pm
As a Red Wolf fan I am not happy the game was cancelled. But I understand why Miami did it. Yes the players and all team personnel would be safe in Jonesboro. But their minds would not be on the game. They might even be so distracted that ASU could actually pull off the upset. As much as I would like to see ASU beat a P5 team I would believe that one would be a hollow victory and a crappy way to win. I want the opposition to be at their best so that there is no excuses for the loss.

Of course had Irma not happened I expected ASU to lose the game anyway. It would have been closer than some think but still a likely loss of 21 points or less. Still would have been a good game to go see anyway.

What's really going to hurt ASU in this is the loss of all the income the school and town both will lose by the game not being played. Add in that it also means ASU will only have 11 games in the regular season vs 12 and only 5 home games. Thus the reason a lot of Red Wolves fans are angry about it.

One last comment. For those here knocking the ASU fans for being mad over it.....glass houses and such. I would bet that if the game was vs the hogs and was cancelled this board would have been the very same as the ASU board is now.

It's understandable that ASU fans were disappointed. It's another thing to read some of the comments that were put online. And, no, I don't think that you would have seen the same level of response as many we witnessed. I don't think you would have seen the leader of this messsge board refer to an opponent as a coward in the manner the ASU board leader did in the aftermath of the decision to put families and safety ahead of a football game.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 08, 2017, 08:58:16 am

FAU needs the $1.2m check to pay Lane, they aren't worried about how they will play.

TomasPistola

Quote from: HogCzar1 on September 07, 2017, 09:56:22 pm
Notice Mark Richt had a twitter comment tonight referring to comments such as this. I applaud ASU for making every effort. They did all they could do. Richt, however, said they haven't practiced since Tuesday due to evacuation efforts. Yesterday, the leader of the ASU board wrote a diatribe that implied Miami was scared, and that no other games were cancelled. Obviously, that's wrong.

It's truly amazing to think that there are people who would encourage the school administrators to prioritize the football game in a situation such as this. These folks may be faced with areas that may be uninhabitable for an extended period of time after this is over. 

It's unfortunate this happened. Perhaps arrangements can still be made. It doesn't help ASU's case to continue to belly ache about Miami being scared. Rather, they should try to make the best of this they can. The ASU administration has handled this well.

To clarify - I have no issue with the game being postponed. Safety and thoughts of family and what's happening back home are very important. I'm in direct path of this thing so I understand that. Not allowing the game to be rescheduled is where I have an issue with Miami. There are options available to them.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Stephen Greene

Crib Notes:

Arkansas State fans whine about everything.

Everything.

Absolutely fricking everything.