Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Assistant coaches changes in the air

Started by JIHawg, May 12, 2005, 10:42:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardhog

Quote from: Theolesnort on May 13, 2005, 07:45:14 pm
The last coach to make a lateral more like that was Hatfield and look at him today. Clemson was harder to please than Ark and so he is at Rice today where the pressure is almost non existant but then maybe he is happy.

Everyone will say I am crazy, but Kenny's name is the only other one I have heard besides HDN that is in contention for the A.D. position at UA.

Kilgor

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 12, 2005, 11:00:54 pm
if your happy with 5/6 or 6/5 fine hell you might get a 7/4 someday . but i don't want a coach who
can't recruit , doesn't have sense enough to get a qb ready to play when he knew MJwas leaving .
doesn't put any emphasis on special teams , and will not hire a O.C when he can clearly see the better programs have them . he is taking time away from the overall program to be the OC . so all that aside i guess he is a pretty good guy but i perfer a coach who can win big games consistently .
and who knows what the top 25 is .

The Hog's records:

1990  3-8
1991  6-6
1992  3-7-1
1993  6-4-1
1994  4-7
1995  8-5
1996  4-7
1997  4-7

1998  9-3 <----- Beginning of Houston Nutt's tenure
1999  8-4
2000  6-6
2001  7-5
2002  9-5
2003  9-4
2004  5-6

Happy with 5 and 6 win seasons, with an occasional 7 win season?  What the hell are you talking about?
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

tophawg19

JYH Terry Don Phillips IS  a name that keeps coming up . and yes it is time for frank to retire and let
someone younger do the job . franks health makes him a liability .he has done a good job of building
the facilities at ark. although i don't know how much was his doing ? the Waltons/reynolds may have
made the donations anyway still i'll give frank the credit .TDP OR HDN either will do a good job .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

junkyardhog

I'll gladly give JFB the credit as well. You are right I have heard TDP as another name.  You have to admit though, Hatfield is intriguing.

tophawg19

i'm not sure arkansas would welcome him with open arms right now.

Oklahawg

One item that no one is mentioning here is the health of Danny Nutt. Brother Nutt has had a couple of health issues in his stay at UA. I could see him moving upstairs to make room for the coach who could assist the family keeping their gigs at UA.

JFB will draw his terminal breath from the Broyles Complex.

Mike, the problem with HDN making a parallel move is that he's burned all capital the last two years. Can he get considered without being handed his walking papers at UA? Yes, but the logistics are not pretty.

I can't see HDN not understanding the dynamics of the situation, and he'll use Malzahn as as strategic move to keep his gig. If he still wants it by the time that moment is upon us.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HeathHateMe

I've heard Broyles is planning on being the athletic director for many years to come.

A hero kills people, people that wish him harm. A hero is part human and part supernatural. A hero is born out of a childhood trauma, or out of a disaster, and must be avenged.

Boner

Quote from: junkyardhog on May 13, 2005, 07:57:55 pm
Quote from: Boner on May 13, 2005, 07:38:55 pm
Quote from: junkyardhog on May 13, 2005, 07:26:27 pm
I tell you what. I will no longer post on what my opinions are. In an attempt to have tact and be respectful, I have been attacked. I thought I could bring insight and personal relationship 'material' to this site. If you guys don't want to hear it, that's fine. Boner is the supreme know it all and can judge others on what and how they post.

I apologize. Frank Broyles was NOT devastated by the loss of his wife and he is not in his 80's. And older gentlemen who have had major life changing events do not rethink their attitudes and priorities in life. As a matter of fact, I believe he will be here at least another 50 years.

Do you want posters on this board who will blow sunshine up your ass, or do you want honest, heartfelt statements?

I refuse to call people adolecent idiots, so I will not! I would also under no circumstance tell you to go phreak yourself, so of course, I won't.

Someone who says Nutt will not be gone if we go 5-7 ths year accusing me of blowing sunshine. Funny.

I'm far from a know it all. But yes, I will call you out on your inside info. You claim to know this and that but have never even met JFB. But you know a guy from the '64 team. You claim that next year Nutt will be AD no matter what. That means you are claiming Broyles will die soon or will be run out of his job.

I'm calling BS on Nutt being AD next year. And I'm calling BS on JFB being run out of his job. As far as him passing away in the next year, maybe you know more than me. Hell, you probably know more about JFB's health than he does. Maybe you should let him know.

If you don't like people questioning your double-secret inside info, you can go phreak yourself.

NOBODY knows the future. It is possible Nutt will never be the AD. JFB will also not be RUN OUT of anything. I am just giving you a highly probable event that COULD occur. YES, I do have a friend who was a member of the '64 team. But, I have no idea why you threw that up as it has nothing to do with this conversation. If you knew what my occupation is and what his is, you would understand. The comment about JFB's circle comes straight out of a pre-funeral event that happened a couple of years ago in Benton Arkansas. Boner, YOU don't have to know everything for it to be true ;) You will learn this as you get older.

BTW- I was the ONLY one who yelled my buddies name out when it was called at the Texas game in F'ville this last season. If you were there, you will know what I am talking about. It's ok, we will deal with you as you mature. ;D ;D

First, don't talk down to me.  Because I disagree with you doesn't make me immature.  I hardly claim to know everything.  You, on the other are the one acting like you do throughout this entire thread.

Second, this comment made it seem as if you were talking about JFB being removed:

"I believe the BOT/Lindsey/White all know that with ONE personnel move (technically 3), they will all be on the same page and things will be happy on the hill again.  I am sure they are all asking the same question "Is the University of Arkansas ready to make that decision?"

What decision will they need to make so everyone will be happy on the hill again?  I certainly took that as replacing Frank.  Correct me if my reading comprehension is bad.

Third, I didn't just bring your friend from the '64 team into this.  You did, about 15 posts ago.  You said you buddy from the '64 team told you Frank was arrogant and a bad conversationalist. 

Sorry if I come across as immature, or a know it all, or whatever else you accuse me of.  I'm actually neither.  I just questioned your inside knowledge.  If you're going to get on a public message board and throw out stuff as if it was fact, and rip on our AD, people are going to question it.

OKhogfan1959

May 14, 2005, 07:56:14 am #58 Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 07:58:02 am by OKhogfan1959
mike
If Nutt is looking and wanting to move like you say. If he only stayed because of his dad?
That pretty much changes my opinion of him to a very negative one. I hope JFB fires his butt if he has a bad year next year!!!  I tried to tell people on another board he was a used car salesman and got banned. Now we hear his agent will be looking for him another job while he is employed by his home state. The one he loves, the one he grew up loving. It sure sounds like he's a used car salesman to me. All it's going to cost us is probably Mustain and 3-4 of the other top prospects in state..He's not an Arkansas man!

I have really lost respect for Nutt! I guess I am a darksider now.

PorcineSublime

I suppose I could see HDN as AD if he gets a good support system underneath him. Running an Atheltic Dept. the size of ours is not unlike running a small corporation. So far he he has not shown that he is willing to hire the best of the best, but maybe he has had issues with coaching that would not happen in the AD office. Still if TDP was available(a big IF), he would likely get the nod. I understand what JYH is saying about JFB and his priorities. You lose your right arm and suddenly the oars don't work the same way. Not saying a stepdown is emminent or even likely, but is possible that he may not feel the same without Barbara. Then again, it may entrench him to the point of staying on till death do us part. As long as he is capable and not embarrassing us, I think he has earned that right if he wants it. I agree with Mike that the most likely scenario for HDN is a lateral move. Likely to a non SEC school, or at least one that is in an easier recruiting environment. JMO.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

tophawg19

sorry to disagree but the time for JFB to retire is now . we are blaming heath/nutt for the poor shape the program is in but you have to look to the top to find the answer . this is a buisness
and as such everything starts at the top and filters down from there . would wal-mart keep a president if the company was slipping into bad shape ? no and i think we have to follow this policy as well . it's JFB's job to right the ship when the coaches won't and he hasn't done it yet . some are crediting herring hire to jfb but i've seen nothing to say that was the case . he doesn't need to meddle in the game plan but he does need to have a say about our assistants and recruiting problems . if an assistant needs to be fired then he needs to see that the coach does this or remove both if the coach refuses .frank has accepted mediocrity in the program by keeping both coaches without a major overhaul in assistants and by accepting an average 7 th place team to continue .White needs to be looked at to as he is also part of the problem .

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 14, 2005, 09:09:33 am
sorry to disagree but the time for JFB to retire is now . we are blaming heath/nutt for the poor shape the program is in but you have to look to the top to find the answer . this is a buisness
and as such everything starts at the top and filters down from there . would wal-mart keep a president if the company was slipping into bad shape ? no and i think we have to follow this policy as well . it's JFB's job to right the ship when the coaches won't and he hasn't done it yet . some are crediting herring hire to jfb but i've seen nothing to say that was the case . he doesn't need to meddle in the game plan but he does need to have a say about our assistants and recruiting problems . if an assistant needs to be fired then he needs to see that the coach does this or remove both if the coach refuses .frank has accepted mediocrity in the program by keeping both coaches without a major overhaul in assistants and by accepting an average 7 th place team to continue .White needs to be looked at to as he is also part of the problem .

You want to get rid of Broyles, fire Nutt and hire a mediocre Mike Leach.

Damn fella, do you have it in for the program or what?

OKhogfan1959

Broyles has earned the right to stay as long as he wants...Or as long as he's able to...Unlike Nutt he hasn't ran off and looked at every job that came along...All you need to  know about Nutt is LSU hired the guy from Okie state....Obviously they thought he was a better coach and recruiter than Nutt.

tophawg19

no but i'm not willing to sit on my ass saying everything is great while the program is falling apart .
JFB has not earned the right to sit up there letting the program is going back downhill . no company would allow this and this is a buisness .you say leach is not better than nutt yet you bring nothing to back it up .he's been there 3 years and already finished in the top 25 and is starting there again this year . nutts been here 7 years and only has 2 top 25's and we aren't anywhere close this year .maybe next year or the year after . i don't know why you don't like leach it must be personal
as he has proven himself as both an assistant at oklahoma [N.C ] and as a head coach with a major victoryin their bowl . they are doing a hell of a lot better than we are .

junkyardhog

From Boner:::::"Second, this comment made it seem as if you were talking about JFB being removed:

"I believe the BOT/Lindsey/White all know that with ONE personnel move (technically 3), they will all be on the same page and things will be happy on the hill again.  I am sure they are all asking the same question "Is the University of Arkansas ready to make that decision?"

Boner, you are correct in the end result. But I may have mislead you on the method. There will be no negative "firing" when JFB leaves and I didn't mean to make it sound that way.  IMHO-JFB will leave when he feels that he hasn't the energy to contribute anymore.

As to my friend, yes he said Frank treated him like an [CENSORED] at the pre-funeral event.  He acted like he didn't even know him. Now,  I must say, My buddy was not a starter but he was a strong backup that season.  That could have been the reason JFB didn't pay him the time of day.  He did ask him "Who the hell he was".