Wow, even our coaches and the AD don't have faith in our football team

Started by PigMan, May 12, 2005, 02:57:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PigMan

Its bad when our "parents" say they don't believe

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=168&p=2&c=378348

Originally from Hogs Illustrated

swinemaster

The only thing I took from this article is "We need revenue".

Let me do some math..... Fayetteville home game $3 mil......Little Rock home game $1.5 mil.
                                     Lost revenue from 2 Little Rock games $3 mil.  Potential revenue of extra home game $3 mil.  Is it me or could we not just make that up by playing all of our current home games in the only stadium we have that is of SEC  standards.  Maybe it's true that our problem is "We're Arkansas"?

PigMan

That too swinemaster, but also, got to watch who we play because it will be bad and we are not a national power and cannot compete on that level. Sad, sad.

Swino

Want more revenue?  Win at home and play teams worth fans driving 3,4,5+ hours to see.  I don't give a donkeys floppy dong about seeing us play southwest missouri tech A & M.  Lets play penn state, maryland, notre dame, UCLA, Washington and any other ranked team that wants a taste of the hogs. 

PigPusher

Agreed Swino.  No way we are ever going to be nationally respected again playing pansy games.  Me thinks Miester Broyles has lost his vinegar component.

In short crap that is pathetic reading that kind of garbage from two of the main people in our hog program that should be pushing things forward.  Did we stay with Texas last season?  We darn sure did.  Are they a national power?  I would say so.  I'm embarrassed for our school.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

hogfan98

Quote from: Swino on May 12, 2005, 04:46:51 pm
Want more revenue? Win at home and play teams worth fans driving 3,4,5+ hours to see. I don't give a donkeys floppy dong about seeing us play southwest missouri tech A & M. Lets play penn state, maryland, notre dame, UCLA, Washington and any other ranked team that wants a taste of the hogs.

what's wrong with texas last year and usc next?  you can't play teams on that level every game.  look how successful notre dame is at it.  we've got to have those (sw missouri tech a&m) games to generate a few wins before the conference season starts.  you don't see the other sec schools scheduling difficult.  why?  because wins are hard enough to come by playing in the sec, much less having to fight to the death in the nonconference schedule to pick up a win.  one marquee nonconference game per year is good enough for me.  as far as driving to see a blowout game, i don't see the fans at other schools complaining about it.  i don't see their seats empty either.  come to the game regardless of who it is.

mikeirwin

Quote from: hogfan98 on May 12, 2005, 05:30:32 pm
Want more revenue? Win at home and play teams worth fans driving 3,4,5+ hours to see. I don't give a donkeys floppy dong about seeing us play southwest missouri tech A & M. Lets play penn state, maryland, notre dame, UCLA, Washington and any other ranked team that wants a taste of the hogs.

what's wrong with texas last year and usc next? you can't play teams on that level every game. look how successful notre dame is at it. we've got to have those (sw missouri tech a&m) games to generate a few wins before the conference season starts. you don't see the other sec schools scheduling difficult. why? because wins are hard enough to come by playing in the sec, much less having to fight to the death in the nonconference schedule to pick up a win. one marquee nonconference game per year is good enough for me. as far as driving to see a blowout game, i don't see the fans at other schools complaining about it. i don't see their seats empty either. come to the game regardless of who it is.
I'm with you Hogfan.
What sense does it make to play an 8 game SEC schedule against maybe 2 or 3 top 10 teams and 3 or 4 more in the top 25, then add the defending national champs and Texas too.
Some of you guys have a death wish.

hoggerdinger

I'd say that Lombardi had it right...coaches, players and schedules.  No school plays all top 25 teams.  It is a business like it or not.

tophawg19

yes that's true but i'll be really pissed if we go git d2 schools thats just chickenshiite . if we have to drop to that level at least go sunbelt .Broyles needs to step down .that article made it clear he lacks faith in our coaches and his own ability to hire them .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

WilsonHog

Well, we could try to play a schedule similar to that played by Notre Dame. It's worked so well for them.

idochog

What HDN is really saying about this extra game is: "Since I cant beat a team with a winning record in the SEC why should I schedule a non-conference team with a winning record?  I'll tell you what you guys are something else" 
I love Jesus!

3kgthog

I know I definitely enjoy watching us get hammered by almost every Top 25 team that comes into Fayetteville.  So HDN, please schedule some more since that makes my day as a fan. 

Keep the schedule like it is.  Play a good team in the first couple of weeks and then stick with the one cupcake and the SEC schedule the rest of the year. What good would it do our football team to have their butts whipped in the first two games before SEC play starts?

PigPusher

Hmmmmm... soooooiepig
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Broken Trigger

Quote from: swinemaster on May 12, 2005, 03:36:31 pm
The only thing I took from this article is "We need revenue".

Let me do some math..... Fayetteville home game $3 mil......Little Rock home game $1.5 mil.
Lost revenue from 2 Little Rock games $3 mil. Potential revenue of extra home game $3 mil. Is it me or could we not just make that up by playing all of our current home games in the only stadium we have that is of SEC standards. Maybe it's true that our problem is "We're Arkansas"?

3 million a year.  Add that with what we pay now, and that would buy a big time coach.

Swino

Quotewhat's wrong with texas last year and usc next?  you can't play teams on that level every game.  look how successful notre dame is at it.  we've got to have those (sw missouri tech a&m) games to generate a few wins before the conference season starts.  you don't see the other sec schools scheduling difficult.  why?  because wins are hard enough to come by playing in the sec, much less having to fight to the death in the nonconference schedule to pick up a win.  one marquee nonconference game per year is good enough for me.  as far as driving to see a blowout game, i don't see the fans at other schools complaining about it.  i don't see their seats empty either.  come to the game regardless of who it is.

First, We don't play Texas anymore, that is whats wrong with them.  Second, the USC deal is only for 2 years.  Have you noticed that we haven't lined up a good team to start playing in 2007?  I know that we have to play a few SW Missouri Tech A&M every year, but I want some beef mixed in there too.  Remember we will be playing 12 games a year from now on.   

Quotewhy?  because wins are hard enough to come by playing in the sec, much less having to fight to the death in the nonconference schedule to pick up a win
  ???

Wins are hard enough to come by because we have a mediocre coach.  That is why.  We need a coach that can win against teams with winning records and WANTS to play great teams so we can get better.

Why do people accept that "wins are hard to come by"???????  We have everything and more that other college football teams have except a coach that delivers more W's than L's against opponents with winning records.   Why are so many fans against upgrading the most important part of our program??

PigPusher

In reading many of our fellow posters here it appears that it is more and more accepted to be mediocre.  I don't buy it.  Over and over again when we really want to we give nearly any team a good run for there money.  I continue to feel with the proper things being put into place that we are not far off from fielding a competitive team year after year.  I will never accept the concept that we can't play with the fruits of the nation.  Schedule the scrimmage teams just like all schools do, but make sure we also mix it up with the elite on a continual basis.  Increased respect will be the reward. In doing this though we must have first tier coaches.

hogsanity

Quote from: PigPusher on May 13, 2005, 11:32:31 am
In reading many of our fellow posters here it appears that it is more and more accepted to be mediocre. I don't buy it. Over and over again when we really want to we give nearly any team a good run for there money. I continue to feel with the proper things being put into place that we are not far off from fielding a competitive team year after year. I will never accept the concept that we can't play with the fruits of the nation. Schedule the scrimmage teams just like all schools do, but make sure we also mix it up with the elite on a continual basis. Increased respect will be the reward. In doing this though we must have first tier coaches.

We do mix it up with the elites every year.  TN, FL, GA, AL, LSU.  OR maybe you dont consider them to be elite.  2 problems with scheduling another big time oppent.  1.. It has to be home and home, so you lose a home date every year.  2. With our conf sched, you dont need to play another nig school.

TN fills their stadium ( 105k) for LA LAf, or TN St.  Are you saying there fans are better than ours? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PigPusher

Quote from: hogsanity on May 13, 2005, 11:45:52 am
In reading many of our fellow posters here it appears that it is more and more accepted to be mediocre. I don't buy it. Over and over again when we really want to we give nearly any team a good run for there money. I continue to feel with the proper things being put into place that we are not far off from fielding a competitive team year after year. I will never accept the concept that we can't play with the fruits of the nation. Schedule the scrimmage teams just like all schools do, but make sure we also mix it up with the elite on a continual basis. Increased respect will be the reward. In doing this though we must have first tier coaches.

We do mix it up with the elites every year. TN, FL, GA, AL, LSU. OR maybe you dont consider them to be elite. 2 problems with scheduling another big time oppent. 1.. It has to be home and home, so you lose a home date every year. 2. With our conf sched, you dont need to play another nig school.

TN fills their stadium ( 105k) for LA LAf, or TN St. Are you saying there fans are better than ours?

Agreed, but we are talking about the twelfth game.

hogsanity

Quote from: PigPusher on May 13, 2005, 12:24:15 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on May 13, 2005, 11:45:52 am

We do mix it up with the elites every year. TN, FL, GA, AL, LSU. OR maybe you dont consider them to be elite. 2 problems with scheduling another big time oppent. 1.. It has to be home and home, so you lose a home date every year. 2. With our conf sched, you dont need to play another nig school.

TN fills their stadium ( 105k) for LA LAf, or TN St. Are you saying there fans are better than ours?

Agreed, but we are talking about the twelfth game.

Yes, and TN will schedule another cream puff and another 105,000 people will show up just like they do now. 

AR will schedule a cream puff, 20,000 seats will be empty, and people will whine becuase our fans dont show and becuase we never play anybody thats good. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Theolesnort

Quote from: mikeirwin on May 12, 2005, 05:46:01 pm
Quote from: hogfan98 on May 12, 2005, 05:30:32 pm
Mike, it is not that they actuall want a death wish but that they have short memories and forget what it is like to be in the middle of the season  and just finished going to war with a SEC team and another comming up. Preseason, anything looks possible but when you are faceing reality then things change and you wish you had been more prudent.

what's wrong with texas last year and usc next? you can't play teams on that level every game. look how successful notre dame is at it. we've got to have those (sw missouri tech a&m) games to generate a few wins before the conference season starts. you don't see the other sec schools scheduling difficult. why? because wins are hard enough to come by playing in the sec, much less having to fight to the death in the nonconference schedule to pick up a win. one marquee nonconference game per year is good enough for me. as far as driving to see a blowout game, i don't see the fans at other schools complaining about it. i don't see their seats empty either. come to the game regardless of who it is.
I'm with you Hogfan.
What sense does it make to play an 8 game SEC schedule against maybe 2 or 3 top 10 teams and 3 or 4 more in the top 25, then add the defending national champs and Texas too.
Some of you guys have a death wish.

Mike it is not that they have a death wish but that they have short memories. Anything seems possible in the preseason but once you get into midseason, say you have just finished playing a Alabama and you are all beat up and now you have Ohio St coming up followed by a trip to Georgia then you remember what it is like and your priorities change. The cupcakes are there for a reason. It is the prudent thing to have a breather here and there. They are kind of like the idiot that after challenging the whole room to a fight, after being whipped for the third time pipes up and says OK who's next? ::)
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Hoggimistic

There is also some good/bad luck involved with scheduling.  Its kind of hard to predict who will be good 5 years down the road.  When we started the Home/Home with Texass they were down, and definitely no better than we were at the time.

PigPusher

As was pretty much the same situation with USC.  Things can really change in a hurry.