Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Otis on sportwrap

Started by idochog, May 11, 2005, 09:11:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

idochog

was already laying the groundwork for Mustain not coming.  He kept saying to Barrett the out of state kids were more important than the in-state kids. 

Its really gonna be fun to see HDN's media lackys explain away the loss of Mustain.

You know it has to be somewhat true since Hiring Mahlzan is already on the table.
I love Jesus!

Hogfanis Humongous

Man, I've been saying that all frickin year. (Not here, I'm the new guy). Everytime I've heard Mustane's name in the last year, it's been in conjunction with AUSTIN. The radio guys have been trying to soften us for some time now to the fact that Mustane is not going to be a Hog.  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Hogfanis Humongous

Quote from: HogInParaloma on May 11, 2005, 10:20:20 pm
I'm no radio man but I do own a Holiday Inn.

Mustain will be a Hog. It will be golden

Maybe you're help could teach you to spell the kid's name correctly if you're so sure he's destin to be a Hog?

Hogfanis Humongous

Quote from: HogInParaloma on May 11, 2005, 10:34:06 pm
Quote from: Hogfanis Humongous on May 11, 2005, 10:27:26 pm

Maybe you're help could teach you to spell the kid's name correctly if you're so sure he's destin to be a Hog?

Get a towel and wipe your own ass off the floor.

I stand corrected. I smite myself for being such an ass. Could've SWORN it was Mustane.

My humblest appologies.

junkyardhog

May 11, 2005, 10:45:48 pm #4 Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 11:28:21 pm by junkyardhog
Are you telling me a hs junior has his own website?

Hogfanis Humongous

Bigmac

I think the only chance to get Mustain is with a Mahlzan (please don't get me spell police) deal. I think it is brewing. Otis has even mentioned it. Chris Woods who was Gus's offensive cood at Shiloh left when Gus did and went down to Austin, TX as a AAAA off. cood and promptly won a state championship. Woods then came to Nashville, AR where he had a very succesful year only losing in the semis I believe. Now I know Nashville is no Springdale but there is money to made in Scrapper land - just ask Billy Laird. Wood then pulls up rather quickly and without notice to head back to Springdale as Gus's off cood again. I believe with Woods running back up to Springdale that there is a good chance that he will be the next Springdale head coach and this has already been communicated to him. I would not be surprised if we see a Mahlzan (again I have my hands on the hood for you spell police) , Mustain deal coming up pretty soon. This may sound far fetched but with all the Chris Woods is doing I would not be surprised. Think about it. Hogs hire Mahlzan and could get 2 to 3 of those Div 1 recrruits from Springdale including the mother lode.

Arkapigdiesel

If HDN loses Mustain then there will be hell to pay.  IF he loses all three Springdalians then he may have written a check he can't cash.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Theolesnort

Quote from: Hogfanis Humongous on May 11, 2005, 10:37:04 pm

I stand corrected. I smite myself for being such an ass. Could've SWORN it was Mustane.

My humblest appologies. You had me going there for a minute. I thought I had been spelling it wrong for months. Course I'm well into my senility, but what is your excuse? Just kidding but I must be one of the very few that think that Mitch will wind up a Razorback. By the way I did spend a night at you Holiday Inn.
;D
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

junkyardhog

May 11, 2005, 10:59:56 pm #9 Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 11:20:22 pm by junkyardhog
OK

Oklahawg

Junkyard, be careful. There are quite a few recruiting hounds on here who will point out that Mustain will be rated VERY highly this fall, and be a far more valuable recruit than McFadden last year. 5-star QBs tend to have a herd of players follow them. There are 5 Chickendale players with 70+ D1 offers--its reasonable to think that the other 4 follow Mustain; recruiting circles are already seeing Mustain's name in the rumor-mongering on recruits from Texas and elsewhere.

There is quite a bit of smoke suggesting that Malzhan is the next assistant that HDN hires. Whether there's fire to go with it remains to be seen. I would suspect that this is an ace-in-the-hole for HDN--he could wait until December, see that recruiting is not going well, offer Malzhan, get a switch (presuming that Mustain committing elsewhere is a reason that recruiting was not going well), and reap the benefits.

Mustain is very familiar with UA and has visited unofficially numerous times. He initiates a lot of contact with the UA staff. I would think that all the recruiting jabber regarding other schools has to do with the fact that Mustain is still looking and comparing data vs. UA. I would be very surprised to see UA NOT in his final 3. I think a positive camp experience at UA will hook him, leaving all the hype about Mustain at Texas, Michigan, et al, websites being the other-side-of-the fence equivalent to the stuff posted around here regarding Reggie McNeal 3 years ago.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

tophawg19

i think it;s mostly everyones just desperate for a good passing qb and offense . JYH YOU RISK YOUR
SMITE LIFE with a post like that  ;D
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Theolesnort

Spoken like a true junkyarddog err hog. Lighten up. The kid is a difference maker and we will be better off with him than without him. As far as the Mustain site it was not him but others that started it. From what I can tell and I have talked to him at several games last fall , he is a good kid with his head screwed on right. If he does make it to Razorback land you will be proud of him some day. ;)
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

junkyardhog

I am going to refrain from making stupid comments about kids who I would really like to see in a  razorback uniform.  Sometimes I say things to spite other people making stupid posts and don't realize the impact it could have on some young man reading these boards ;)

So, to any young man reading, we would be appreciative if you signed with the hogs.  We will smite you if you don't!

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Oklahawg on May 11, 2005, 11:14:58 pmequivalent to the stuff posted around here regarding Reggie McNeal 3 years ago.

Seems like I remember one guy stating that he would streak at the state Capital if McNeal didn't sign with Arkansas.

:puke:

Philip Seaton

Quote from: Bigmac on May 11, 2005, 10:50:45 pm
I think the only chance to get Mustain is with a Mahlzan (please don't get me spell police) deal. I think it is brewing. Otis has even mentioned it. Chris Woods who was Gus's offensive cood at Shiloh left when Gus did and went down to Austin, TX as a AAAA off. cood and promptly won a state championship. Woods then came to Nashville, AR where he had a very succesful year only losing in the semis I believe. Now I know Nashville is no Springdale but there is money to made in Scrapper land - just ask Billy Laird. Wood then pulls up rather quickly and without notice to head back to Springdale as Gus's off cood again. I believe with Woods running back up to Springdale that there is a good chance that he will be the next Springdale head coach and this has already been communicated to him. I would not be surprised if we see a Mahlzan (again I have my hands on the hood for you spell police) , Mustain deal coming up pretty soon. This may sound far fetched but with all the Chris Woods is doing I would not be surprised. Think about it. Hogs hire Mahlzan and could get 2 to 3 of those Div 1 recrruits from Springdale including the mother lode.

Woods was hired because there will be 2 high schools next year (Har-Ber being the new schools) - senior high football won't start in 2006. So that is the logic behind that one. I don't think that there is a secret deal that involves the Hogs coaching staff. If that is the case, then it won't be Nutt looking for a new assistant coach. It will be someone else looking to a fill a staff.

Hogstocking

May 12, 2005, 01:34:47 am #16 Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 01:42:53 am by Piggy Hogstocking
Otis seems to think its 50/50 we get him

Michigan (which many have specualted was his early leader) has their starting spot at QB sealed for the next 3 years.  Henne was a stud as a true freshman last year.   LSU signed Perrilloux.  OU has the number 1 QB signed from 04 (Rhett Bomar).  Texass has multiple offers out to QB's (lots of competition).  Tennessee is in the same boat as Michigan, stud freshman QB.   Unless Mitch wants to go to school far away (Miami for instance) the surrounding states already have their QB spot sown up.  Unless Mitch likes the Mississippi schools lol.

UA doesn't even have a clear #1 QB, and Mustain is the only offer HDN has out to a QB.  It's his home state, his mom is a UA grad.  I like our chances.  If HDN hires Gus, I really like our chances.

IMO it will be between us and Texass.   I just hope Texass can get a few verbals from QB's between now and when mitch decides to narrow it down to 3 schools.

hawkeyefan17

Mitch Mustain has a lot of offers. Will he visit all the schools that have offered him? Has anyone heard when he might make his decision? Might baseball factor in his decision? I hear he is pretty good.

I realize that know one can truly know what he is going to do but I am just curious about the number of visits a top flight QB usually makes.

Lando Calrissian

Obviously, we, being Hog fans want Mustain to come here at all costs.

I've said this before, but look at it from his perspective.  He'd be crazy not to, on the simplest of levels, at least LOOK at other schools.  When someone offers you a scholarship, you check into it and there's not a damn one of you that wouldn't do the same thing.

Of course we'll disappointed if he doesn't choose the Razorbacks, but the guy hasn't even played his senior season yet.  Lets save this "saviour" talk for another year or so...when it REALLY matters.

Like the NFL Draft...or the NCAA Tournament...or any other crap-shoot in sports, it absolutely DOES NOT MATTER what the so-called "experts" say, because at the end of the day, the bottom-line is we (as sports fans at all levels) just "don't freaking know."

Recruiting-reports are SOOOOOOO overrated.  They're almost sickenly overated.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Piggy Hogstocking on May 12, 2005, 01:34:47 am

Michigan (which many have specualted was his early leader) has their starting spot at QB sealed for the next 3 years.  Henne was a stud as a true freshman last year.   LSU signed Perrilloux.  OU has the number 1 QB signed from 04 (Rhett Bomar).  Texass has multiple offers out to QB's (lots of competition).  Tennessee is in the same boat as Michigan, stud freshman QB.   Unless Mitch wants to go to school far away (Miami for instance) the surrounding states already have their QB spot sown up.  Unless Mitch likes the Mississippi schools lol.

UA doesn't even have a clear #1 QB, and Mustain is the only offer HDN has out to a QB.  It's his home state, his mom is a UA grad.  I like our chances.  If HDN hires Gus, I really like our chances.

IMO it will be between us and Texass. I just hope Texass can get a few verbals from QB's between now and when mitch decides to narrow it down to 3 schools.

All good points.   I guess it all depends on what's really important to him.....does he believe he's good enough to rootout high profile encumbents at the other schools and play for a school that runs an offense that is better suited for his talents or does he come to the UofA where competition is much less but the system doesn't really showcase his talents?    There are reasons these other schools have the higher caliber qb's on their squad and we don't. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HogInMemphis

It matters not if HDN signs this kid. He wouldn't help in the least in his first year and HDN will be gone after next season anyway after going no better than 6-5, if he doesn't have another 5-6.

Porkahontas

Quote from: Piggy Hogstocking on May 12, 2005, 01:34:47 am

IMO it will be between us and Texass.   I just hope Texass can get a few verbals from QB's between now and when mitch decides to narrow it down to 3 schools.

Some good logic there.

With Miami, Mitch needs to realize how good Larry Coker made Brock Berlin. Berlin was the top QB in the country and he didn't improve at all under Coker his last two years at Miami after transferring.

Same with Chris Simms. Mack Brown took the consensus top QB in the nation and made him pretty mediocre. He's on the bench for the Bucs right now in the pros.

Miami and Texas don't have a history of sending successful college coaches to the pros and having those guys have success.

By the way, how did Murray State's offense look with Nutt when Mike Cherry got there? Didn't Nutt open it up big-time under Cherry?

ArkansasI

I am with you, Pork.  We suffer from a chicken and egg theory.  What is so bad about the Razorback system?  The Hogs do a good job of running an offense best suited for our starters.  I don't think that we would have received a maximum return from Matt if he had been used as a pure drop back passer.  As soon as we have the players in place that can run a pro set, then I expect that you will see a pro set.  Otherwise, I would expect us to run the football.

Mitch has got to understand this as he considers Arkansas.  It is home. . . he will be embraced.  Some of us will be stupid and turn on him if he doesn't win the SEC Championship.  However, he can look forward to being drafted no later than No. 21 in the first round of the NFL Draft.  At which time, we will all talk about how awsome he was again and we will want to buy his new jersey.

Peace.

Hogstocking

I've never understood the complaints about HDNs offesne, or offensive schemes.  Everyone is intitled to their opinion, but the numbers don't lie.   In HDN's 7 years, his offense's rank among the best in school history at scoring points. 
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/arkansas/most_points_season.php

On the flip side, the DEFENSE under HDN has been  been among the worst in school history
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/arkansas/most_points_allowed_season.php

Hopefully Herring can equal this out.

When Clint was here, we used the TE, opened up the offense.  When there wasnt an established QB (Hampton, T-Jack, Clark experiment) he was more conservative, for good reason.  With MJ, he utalized his natural god given talent.  HDN gets a lot of heat that I've never understood.  Get a pro-style passer in here, and you'll see a more structured pro-style offense (ala 1998 1999)

PigPusher

Quote from: Hogfanis Humongous on May 11, 2005, 10:37:04 pm

My humblest appologies.

You were sure gloating though while you thought you were right.  Tear not though as a lot of posters are spelling it wrong.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

PigPusher

May 12, 2005, 09:58:04 am #25 Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 10:02:40 am by PigPusher
Funny thing Mustain, to my knowledge, has told no one one who he in narrowing his list down to yet many have him not coming to the Hogs.  How's that?  Perhaps it is for the best as we probably would not know what to do with him if we had him.  Ala Robert Johnson, the number seven dual threat quarterback in the nation coming out of high school. Yet he gets here, never really played but the concensus to many "experts" is that he is no damn good.  Go figure.

And, mark number 1000.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

tophawg19

OK here it is we use the pro b.ball plan . he skips his Sr year of h.s signs with the hogs and comes in as the starter . if he signs with someone other than ark. we change his name to mustang . if we do miss on him we still have a good chance at a couple of Texas QB who are rated about as good as he is and after their SR , seasons could be rated higher with QB's it's hard to rate them see Brock Berlin
a can't miss player who did . there have been any number of QB'S who could miss that were sadly overrated . probably more than any other position . we need to do a better job evaluating and developing the ones we do get .

Hawgbrew

Isnt the whole Malzahn to Arkansas a internet rumor?  I look for him to take over at the new Springdale high school.  And dont be so sure that if he did coach at Arkansas that Musatin or any of them would follow him.  I assure you that Nutt is doing everything he can to get the Springdale guys to come here.  If they dont want to let them go.  The will regret it later.  Nutt will structure his offense around his personel.  Do you people really think if he has a pocket passer he is going to run options and draws all the time.  Well hell no.  If Mustain comes here you would see the offense open up alot more.  But I feel that it would still be balanced with the grat running backs we get here.  I dont about the rest of you but I am ready for some football.

oldhawg

Quote from: Hawgbrew on May 12, 2005, 10:45:57 am
Isnt the whole Malzahn to Arkansas a internet rumor? I look for him to take over at the new Springdale high school. And dont be so sure that if he did coach at Arkansas that Musatin or any of them would follow him. I assure you that Nutt is doing everything he can to get the Springdale guys to come here. If they dont want to let them go. The will regret it later. Nutt will structure his offense around his personel. Do you people really think if he has a pocket passer he is going to run options and draws all the time. Well hell no. If Mustain comes here you would see the offense open up alot more. But I feel that it would still be balanced with the grat running backs we get here. I dont about the rest of you but I am ready for some football.

Biggus Piggus

Malzahn rumor makes sense, as Nutt knows that he has to satisfy the boosters.  If Nutt loses what boosters perceive as the best in-state prospects this year, in Springdale's absolute alltime talent peak, he is toasty toast toast.  Burnt weenie sandwich.  Done done overdone.
[CENSORED]!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 12, 2005, 11:31:04 am
Malzahn rumor makes sense, as Nutt knows that he has to satisfy the boosters. If Nutt loses what boosters perceive as the best in-state prospects this year, in Springdale's absolute alltime talent peak, he is toasty toast toast. Burnt weenie sandwich. Done done overdone.

hell, Nutt started the rumor. Just like he would always throw out George Stewart's name when Stewart knew nothing in a position on Nutt's staff or wasn't interested.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Buck Ocean

QuoteSeems like I remember one guy stating that he would streak at the state Capital if McNeal didn't sign with Arkansas.

Ah, yes......Randy Rainwater.
Think like a Jedi

Hoggysoprano

There is noway we will get Mustain unless:

1. Nut is gone

2. Malzhan is hired in some capacity

Both would be huge improvments to our program.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on May 12, 2005, 03:48:41 am

Recruiting-reports are SOOOOOOO overrated. They're almost sickenly overated.

Especially when you're talking about the "ROADS" scholar from Mena.  What a joke.

I hope Mustain decides to be a Hog, but I don't blame him if he wants to look around.  I looked at other out-of-state colleges when I was his age, and I was only considering academic pursuits.  This kid is being looked at as a top QB recruit by some of the best college football programs in the nation.  Let him enjoy his time in the spotlight and just be extremely happy when (if) he signs with the HOGS.  It will be nice if we can beat out some great schools for his services.

Oklahawg

Mustain represents NWA's best prospect in...lordy, lord, how many years? Ever (if you consider just the recruiting hype)?

If HDN appears to be losing his shot at Mustain I would bet the NWA powers start maneuvering to help get young Mitch to UA. One way or the other. Oh, dear, that's a whole different issue.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

S.P.A.M. Hog

Come on guys....that is not what Otis was driving at and you know it. His point was Arkansas will never produce enough instate D1 players to keep the Hogs going without having to go outside the state. He is correct, we have to recruit very well outside the state to have a chance. It doesn't matter who the coach is, what their record is or who we play. Coaches on the Hill MUST rely on outside recruits to drive the program. Period! Name me one program that keeps every kid instate and does not have to recruit outside. They all lose plays to out of state programs and they all try to pull plays into the state from surrounding areas. Every team recruits outside the state and inside the state they play in. They don't get everyone they recruit.That is a fact.

Otis is not creating an excuse for HDN, he is stating a fact about recruiting at Arkansas. They have to recruit outside the state. Fact. Mustain has made his way to the Hill of his own accord to look around. How many of you that had a son with all the folks wanting to land him would say " go to Arkansas" or would you be more likely to say " take your time and look around, find the best spot for you". Hey we all love the Hogs and want him to be a Hog. But that may no be the best move for Mitch. He has to make that decision, not HDN or Otis.
Just as the dark ages passed, so will the effects of poor coaching for the last ten years. But more importantly the Razorback Nation will be unified.

The new era has begun...

tophawg19

mitch is good but we do have other options . he is the best passer but the others have good arms and better mobility so they may be a better fit . and with their SR  seasons yet to play they may turn out better than he does . it's all in the game . take your visits get treated like royalty every where you go . leave your mom & dad at home when you go to colorado they give free women .

OKhogfan1959

May 13, 2005, 10:03:52 am #37 Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 10:05:57 am by OKhogfan1959
If  Nutt loses Mustain it will be the beginning of the end of his tenure at Arkansas. If we don't land Mustain we will never sign a great passing QB. Never!  On the other hand if Mustain does show confidence in Nutt, the whole program could take a sharp upturn.

On Malzhan...Anything it takes to get him! Mustain would be great!!!! Mustain or not though we need Malzhan...He's a great offensive mind!!

tophawg19

but will he be allowed to use it .Wittke also could fill the OC . but nutt will not give him the chance .

tophawg19

until the last couple years we had no luck in Texarkana i think we are doing a little better there .

Swino

Quotehe is toasty toast toast.  Burnt weenie sandwich.  Done done overdone.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And don't forget that they have are in HDN's backyard. 

tophawg19

hope that's right . let the battle begin