Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

recruiting louisanna .

Started by tophawg19, May 03, 2005, 11:03:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

according to the democrat we have 2 top recruits in louisanna very intrested in the hogs and we haven't offered scholarships .it seems like we are letting down in recruiting again .if this continues
are going to lose some good recruits needlessly .we need to get these offers on the table .this can't continue to happen and ever expect us to get better .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Oklahawg

I don't know whether its coincidence or not, but a lot of the early press on recruiting has Ealy's name mentioned. Maybe its just that they started the recruiting talk with the gaping needs at TE.

One would think that the staff would feel that solid thing in their back and realize its a wall. And, as a result, recruit like demons. Maybe the conservative number of offers they've floated is a result of them torquing up the wishlist and not wanting to offer too many marginals too early. Hey, we can be optimistic right now, can't we?

We'll see what impact Herring has. I am hopeful its not so much teaching and cajoling the others as it is jealousy ("hey, Herring's getting all these stud recruits, I better go get one myself"). The former suggests they are truly lost causes, but the latter suggests they may just need the proper motivation.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Tammany Tom

Quote from: ROAD HOGG on May 03, 2005, 03:50:38 pm
We used to recruit N. La. good. Shreveport, Monroe and Ruston. We have gotten a few sleepers like Bua from S. La. La. does have some better linemen. Hatfield got some from the Baptist Christian Academy over around Monroe. JFB used to get linemen fro both Houston and Dallas. Baytown used to give us a few players too. We need help from both TX and LA....

We already have too many schools with excellent relationships with LA high school coaches and that are very successful recruiting our state, we don't need anymore schools coming in and raiding our talent.

Michigan, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Miami, Auburn, and Ole Miss do very well in our state recruiting. Saban did an excellent job at getting the top prospects that he wanted in state and the schools mentioned above got his left-overs for the most part. Prior to Saban, however, we had to fight tooth and nail with these schools to get the best prospects. Miles seems to be doing a very good job so far in developing good relationships with coaches in the state. Signing Ryan Perilloux and Al Jones, last year, was hugh and showed us that he could get the best players in the state even with a very short recruiting period.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Oklahawg on May 03, 2005, 11:51:35 am
I don't know whether its coincidence or not, but a lot of the early press on recruiting has Ealy's name mentioned. Maybe its just that they started the recruiting talk with the gaping needs at TE.

One would think that the staff would feel that solid thing in their back and realize its a wall. And, as a result, recruit like demons. Maybe the conservative number of offers they've floated is a result of them torquing up the wishlist and not wanting to offer too many marginals too early. Hey, we can be optimistic right now, can't we?

We'll see what impact Herring has. I am hopeful its not so much teaching and cajoling the others as it is jealousy ("hey, Herring's getting all these stud recruits, I better go get one myself"). The former suggests they are truly lost causes, but the latter suggests they may just need the proper motivation.

Louisiana is so important this year, Ealy is responsible for the whole state.

The recruiting stories of late reek of Nutt having Otis pump Ealy's name every chance he can get. or maybe Otis is doing it on his own.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

tophawg19

if we're counting on ealy we're in deep ship . we have to get better & that can only come from
better coaching & more aggressive recruiting .

pioneerhog

Quote from: BuckOceanFan on May 03, 2005, 08:25:38 pm
MY sources (and I have good ones in LA) say one of the top recruits is a running back named Larry Jackson from Monroe.  He is 6'5", 235 and runs a 4.42  40 and can throw and catch too.  Is HN going to recruit him? They are calling him Matt Jones' "brother from another mother" Anybody have any other info on this kid?
6'5" for a RB, sounds like a better fit at WR if he can catch like you say he can.

pioneerhog

So what are they projecting him to be in college, I would figure on a WR or TE.

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Boared

May 03, 2005, 10:33:41 pm #8 Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 10:35:27 pm by Boared
I just got off the phone w/ my dad, who still lives in Ruston, and from what he's hearing around there, there's not much in the way of talent compared to past years except for RB's. This is N. Louisiana we're talking about.

That being said, it's still important for the U of A to regain some clout in the area now that Saban is gone. LSU is still going to get who they want this year, but Miles isn't a proven winner @ LSU at this point.

BattleHawg

- and as usual, I'll send an email or 6 to the Hog coaching staff about players at Evangel. 
and as usual I'll get my usual respnse from them...

"yeah, yeah... we know, we know about the players at Evangel; thank you for your interest in Arkansas football."

and then they don't seem to pursue those players hard enough and several over the years could have worn Hog unis.

Last year we could have easily gotten DE/TE Zach Schreiber from ECA, but now he is a Frosh for alablowa. >:(

FOOLS.

BH

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: BattleHawg on May 04, 2005, 06:01:51 am
- and as usual, I'll send an email or 6 to the Hog coaching staff about players at Evangel.
and as usual I'll get my usual respnse from them...

"yeah, yeah... we know, we know about the players at Evangel; thank you for your interest in Arkansas football."

and then they don't seem to pursue those players hard enough and several over the years could have worn Hog unis.

Last year we could have easily gotten DE/TE Zach Schreiber from ECA, but now he is a Frosh for alablowa. >:(

FOOLS.

BH

Actually Arkansas had some Evangel Products attending the Red/White game and http://www.arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=38973  named Arkansas his Leader.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

tophawg19

greathouse is highly reguarded but you expect the defense to recruit well with herring & rocker
players feel like they have a good chance to make the NFL .

Oklahawg

Then lets push for the Ohio State plan, with the killer shutdown defense and a stud RB to score enough points to win.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Boared

If any kid in LA is good and shows interest, they should get offered. They might not be the best at their position in the state, but Arkansas has no real presence in LA right now. Ole Miss got those LB's we wanted this past Feb. and that was w/ Ogeron recruiting them. He's from LA and will out recruit us there if we continue to neglect it. I still think if Chad Beverage would have been offered right after that all-star game, he would have chosen the U of A instead of La friggin' Tech.

PennHOG

H
Quote from: Boared on May 04, 2005, 01:38:48 pm
If any kid in LA is good and shows interest, they should get offered. They might not be the best at their position in the state, but Arkansas has no real presence in LA right now. Ole Miss got those LB's we wanted this past Feb. and that was w/ Ogeron recruiting them. He's from LA and will out recruit us there if we continue to neglect it. I still think if Chad Beverage would have been offered right after that all-star game, he would have chosen the U of A instead of La friggin' Tech.

Hey don't knock the NFL breeding division 1 powerhouse bulldogs.   ;D  They're just one good defense and one good offense away from a national championship.   :P

I have to stick up for my alumni.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

tophawg19

beverage could & should have been a Razorback instead we take a LB.kevin hubbard who we have to send to hargrave mil. acedemy .last years class was ok but still to many reaches & with just 83 scholarships you can't afford reaches .

Jim Harris

May 04, 2005, 02:48:09 pm #16 Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 02:51:13 pm by drakehog
Quote from: tophawg19 on May 04, 2005, 02:38:54 pm
beverage could & should have been a Razorback instead we take a LB.kevin hubbard who we have to send to hargrave mil. acedemy .last years class was ok but still to many reaches & with just 83 scholarships you can't afford reaches .

Kevin Hubbard lived with Charles Ripley this past year. Ripley is one of Houston Nutt's biggest friends in LR. That probably didn't hurt Hubbard getting placed at Hargrave, it didn't cost Arkansas a scholarship, and really, people who saw Hubbard play for Sylvan Hills thought probably every time out he was the best player on the field. The question would be if he could ever get his grades in order. Not sure he can simply go to Hargrave and get them in order, is how it's been told to me. Would probably move from Hargrave to a juco if he didn't. We'd likely never see  him on the hill.
I'm still worried we're never going to see Rodney Giles on the hill, a similar case to Hubbard's. Until he's there, and in uniform, I'll be concerned. Giles is a difference maker, but can't make much difference when he's at NEO A&M.

If Beverage turns out to be a stud at LaTech or wherever he is over the next 3-4 years, we can wonder what might have been. But I'd also wonder about a guy nobody was after until he looked good in a small-potatoes All-Star game put together by Max Emfinger at the last second. And even then, only Memphis and the small La. schools became involved.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: HoopHog on May 04, 2005, 03:09:28 pm
Quote from: drakehog on May 04, 2005, 02:48:09 pm
Quote from: tophawg19 on May 04, 2005, 02:38:54 pm

Kevin Hubbard lived with Charles Ripley this past year. Ripley is one of Houston Nutt's biggest friends in LR. That probably didn't hurt Hubbard getting placed at Hargrave, it didn't cost Arkansas a scholarship, and really, people who saw Hubbard play for Sylvan Hills thought probably every time out he was the best player on the field. The question would be if he could ever get his grades in order. Not sure he can simply go to Hargrave and get them in order, is how it's been told to me. Would probably move from Hargrave to a juco if he didn't. We'd likely never see  him on the hill.
I'm still worried we're never going to see Rodney Giles on the hill, a similar case to Hubbard's. Until he's there, and in uniform, I'll be concerned. Giles is a difference maker, but can't make much difference when he's at NEO A&M.

If Beverage turns out to be a stud at LaTech or wherever he is over the next 3-4 years, we can wonder what might have been. But I'd also wonder about a guy nobody was after until he looked good in a small-potatoes All-Star game put together by Max Emfinger at the last second. And even then, only Memphis and the small La. schools became involved.

Do you think we will see the football program try and develop more players with pre-existing criminal records and questionable backgrounds? :)

I would hope so. I think we failed miserably not going ahead and signing the LB Raines. btw, he indeeded up at Southern Miss. They have better defenses than us year in and year out. They go for guys with the killer instinct. We prefer players who dance.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: HoopHog on May 04, 2005, 10:04:57 am
...and Arkansas was there long before many of the ones you listed. Next to players out of the desolate wasteleand that isTexas, some of the best Hog players have been bayou boys!

Ole Miss got those LB's we wanted this past Feb. and that was w/ Ogeron recruiting them. He's from LA and will out recruit us there if we continue to neglect it.

Arkansas has taken several very good Louisiana recruits over the last 30 years or so. However, just because you get one good one every 4-5 years or so does not mean that you have recruited Louisiana well compared to the programs I listed.

In the past 5 years alone Auburn has got 6 LA Top 30 recruits, Tennessee 4, Miami 5, Florida St. 5 and Michigan 4 compared to 0 for Arkansas. Heck, West Virginia has got 3 LA Top 30 recruits in the last 5 years.

I hate to tell you guys this but Ole Miss has been out-recruiting Arkansas hands-down in Louisiana for a long, long time. Ole Miss has got 8 LA Top 30 recruits in the last 5 years.   

Jim Harris

Quote from: Tammany Tom on May 04, 2005, 03:13:40 pm
...and Arkansas was there long before many of the ones you listed. Next to players out of the desolate wasteleand that isTexas, some of the best Hog players have been bayou boys!

I hate to tell you guys this but Ole Miss has been out-recruiting Arkansas hands-down in Louisiana for a long, long time. Ole Miss has got 8 LA Top 30 recruits in the last 5 years.   

Ole Miss is only going to do even better with Orgeron recruiting.

Boared

Quote from: PennHOG on May 04, 2005, 01:46:42 pm
H

Hey don't knock the NFL breeding division 1 powerhouse bulldogs.  ;D They're just one good defense and one good offense away from a national championship. :P

Actually, La Tech does put players in the NFL on occasion such as Tim Rattay, Troy Edwards, Matt Stover, Chris Bonoil (sp), Luke McCown, Doug Evans, Willie Roaf, the Baker brothers, etc. Ryan Moats went to the Eagles in the 3rd round this year. And of course, they produced my all-time favorite QB, the one, the only, The Blonde Bomber--Terry Bradshaw.

Smithers™

I said this in another thread but I'll say it again.  There is no reason why we should not be on the same level as the University of Texas as far as recruiting.  Our coaches came in at basically the same time and Nutt had more initial talent to work with.  Nutt's inability to recruit out of state is part of the reason why we are not on their level.  The most success Nutt has had with a team was not even with his talent.  It was with Danny Ford's when we went to the Citrus Bowl (CapitalOne Bowl) in 1999.  We need to get Nutt in FB's office and get a coach in here that can recruit.

tophawg19

PennHOG

Quote from: Boared on May 04, 2005, 03:53:25 pm
Quote from: PennHOG on May 04, 2005, 01:46:42 pm
H

Hey don't knock the NFL breeding division 1 powerhouse bulldogs. ;D They're just one good defense and one good offense away from a national championship. :P

Actually, La Tech does put players in the NFL on occasion such as Tim Rattay, Troy Edwards, Matt Stover, Chris Bonoil (sp), Luke McCown, Doug Evans, Willie Roaf, the Baker brothers, etc. Ryan Moats went to the Eagles in the 3rd round this year. And of course, they produced my all-time favorite QB, the one, the only, The Blonde Bomber--Terry Bradshaw.

Don't forget Josh Scobee and I believe there is a backup RB the Redskins who's last name was Simon. 
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

BattleHawg

Quote from: drakehog on May 04, 2005, 02:48:09 pm

drake,
I wouldn't say I'm the best talent evaluator in the world, but from what I saw of Beverage, he looked pretty damn good.  And I think it was Thornton or one of the other top players who said he thought Beverage
was one of the best he'd ever seen.  The kids he was playing against were some pretty decent players too.
Also, Stewie was standing next to me the entire game... I'm sure he would say the kid was no one-game wonder. 
I know that not every single top-talent kid gets noticed.  I also remember seeing Beverage's name in the Shreveport Times on several occasions for exceptional play during the football season.

I could be wrong, but I think the kid just slipped thru the cracks until the last moment.

- The Featherston kid was awesome also.

just my .02 though

BH

BattleHawg

so what has you interested in being here on a Hog board so much??

also, I bet dork lavelle or whatever his name is, wouldn't have suspended his top 2 baseball players for anything other than homicide, wrong or not. 
oh no.

lsbleaux is pathetic.

DirkPiggler

Ole Miss got those LB's we wanted this past Feb. and that was w/ Ogeron recruiting them. He's from LA and will out recruit us there if we continue to neglect it.

Sure has helped them a lot in that time, hasn't it?  Unless Archie's got a bastard son down there that we don't know about, it won't help them all that much in the future.  Orgeron is a clown who won't accomplish anywhere near what Cutcliffe did.  The Mississippi schools are doormats once again.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

Swino

QuoteOrgeron is a clown who won't accomplish anywhere near what Cutcliffe did

Don't be so sure.  Cutcliffe clearly couldn't find SEC talent and Orgeron seems to have had the best recruiting class in several years at Ole Miss.  Keep in mind that Orgeron did that in under 2 months.  It will be interesting to see what product Orgeron puts on the field this fall.

tophawg19

i don't have a problem with mississippi's schools being doormats but do we have to keep hanging out down there with them .

Jim Harris

Quote from: DirkPiggler on May 12, 2005, 09:44:30 am

Sure has helped them a lot in that time, hasn't it? Unless Archie's got a bastard son down there that we don't know about, it won't help them all that much in the future. Orgeron is a clown who won't accomplish anywhere near what Cutcliffe did. The Mississippi schools are doormats once again.

He may be a clown and he may have a 10th of the offensive mind Cutcliffe has, but he's going to have more talent on the field than Cutcliffe ever had, and may have more talent on the field than we have after two more recruiting years.

DirkPiggler

Quote from: drakehog on May 12, 2005, 10:46:19 am
Quote from: DirkPiggler on May 12, 2005, 09:44:30 am

Sure has helped them a lot in that time, hasn't it? Unless Archie's got a bastard son down there that we don't know about, it won't help them all that much in the future. Orgeron is a clown who won't accomplish anywhere near what Cutcliffe did. The Mississippi schools are doormats once again.

He may be a clown and he may have a 10th of the offensive mind Cutcliffe has, but he's going to have more talent on the field than Cutcliffe ever had, and may have more talent on the field than we have after two more recruiting years.

Drake, I see Orgeron as a Nutt-type coach, with less gray matter.  I can't see him managing a game properly, at least not for a few years.  He appears to be a rah-rah type, and we all know how those usually turn out.

Has Orgeron even been a coordinator before?  I've seen him referred to as USC's former DC, but Pete Carroll handled the defense himself. 
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

Boared

May 12, 2005, 05:33:50 pm #31 Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 05:53:41 pm by Boared
Ogeron can show the kids the bling-bling from a National Championship. Can Nutt?

A close friend of mine is an Ole Miss alum (actually have several friends who are Ole Miss alums) with family that still lives in Oxford. He said the main reason why Ogeron was hired was because of his recruiting ability. Ole Miss was scared crapless that Croom was starting to out-recruit Cutcliffe and that's why Cutcliff got the boot. He did nothing to build upon the momentum of having Eli there.

tophawg19

will try to forgive you for having friends from ole miss  :D your right his name will carry some weight
when he goes into a recruits house for now but wins & looses at old miss will tell the story. in a couple years we will see if he can still get it done on his own .

swinemaster

Orgeron was also recruiting coordinator at USC.  They've had a few pretty good classes lately.  And not just from California.   They are getting kids from everywhere.

And giving Carroll all the credit for the defense is unfair.  It would be like saying Joe Amato was responsible for NC State's success on defense instead of Herring. 

DirkPiggler

Quote from: swinemaster on May 12, 2005, 05:52:20 pm
Orgeron was also recruiting coordinator at USC. They've had a few pretty good classes lately. And not just from California. They are getting kids from everywhere.

And giving Carroll all the credit for the defense is unfair. It would be like saying Joe Amato was responsible for NC State's success on defense instead of Herring.

No, it wouldn't be the same.  Herring was the defensive coordinator at NC State.  Orgeron was the defensive line coach.  Pete Carroll was his own defensive coordinator. 

Kilgor

Quote from: swinemaster on May 12, 2005, 05:52:20 pm
Orgeron was also recruiting coordinator at USC. They've had a few pretty good classes lately. And not just from California. They are getting kids from everywhere.

And giving Carroll all the credit for the defense is unfair. It would be like saying Joe Amato was responsible for NC State's success on defense instead of Herring.

Here are the percentage of USC's signees from California:

2004 - 74%
2003 - 92%
2002 - 81%

Here are the percentage of Ole Miss's signees from Mississippi:

2004 - 56%
2003 - 48%
2002 - 61%

And for the heck of it, here are the percentage of the U of A's signees from Arkansas:

2004 - 38%
2003 - 44%
2002 - 29%

I'd say he had a significant recruiting advantage being in California.  He still won't be at as much of a recruiting disadvantage as Arkansas though.  We will see how he does in Mississippi.  I think he fails.

South_Ark_Pig

We lost a kid to LA Tech? Wow, oh my, he must have ben one helluva a ball player to go to Tech!! Thats why we arent worth a damn, we are losing too many to Tech, ASU and  teams like that. We cant compete with those players on our rosters!!

tophawg19

his name is chad beverage and i think everyone is going to be wondering how they missed this kid .
both thorton & our other player who played in  the game with him came away saying he was the best LB they had seen and encourging ark to sign him .

Boared

Quote from: South_Ark_Pig on May 13, 2005, 08:10:32 pm
We lost a kid to LA Tech? Wow, oh my, he must have ben one helluva a ball player to go to Tech!! Thats why we arent worth a damn, we are losing too many to Tech, ASU and  teams like that. We cant compete with those players on our rosters!!

Oh, how high and mighty we are. Granted, there are several kids who play for those mid-majors who couldn't cut it here, but to dismiss a kid b/c he chose one of those schools over us is wrong without knowing anything about the guy. The stud safety (Kevin Thornton) we signed this year thought highly enough of him to feel he could play. Just b/c a kid decided to go to La Tech or some other mid-major doesn't mean he wouldn't have done well here. I'm pretty sure Willie Roaf who's been a pro-bowl O-linemen w/ the Saints and now the Chiefs would have done well here as would have Tim Rattay (who's still the starter w/ the 49ers) and Troy Edwards, who lit up the Cornhuskers and is now w/ the Jags. And, Beverage went to Tech b/c we weren't agressive enough when he was making it known he wanted to come here and got the full press from a school 60 miles from home.

Kilgor

He went to La Tech because we didn't have a scholarship to offer him.

rricha

how is steve kortes son doing