Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gray Squirrels

Started by HawgWild, June 19, 2015, 11:18:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

I've lived out here for more than 30 years and it was only a couple of years ago that I saw my first Gray Squirrel. Up until then they were all Fox Squirrels. Initially we thought they were kinda cute but they've really become a bother. They're small enough to run out to the ends of the branches on my Dogwood trees breaking off new growth. They ate all the buds off them last fall so we had no blooms this spring. I counted almost a dozen off the patio a couple of months ago. I've implemented the .410 squirrel eradication plan and managed to off 10 or 12 but they keep coming.

Wayne, can I borrow you're squirrel dog? I promise not to tell Delta Boy where I live. Anybody got any sure fire squirrel killing tips?

Wayne Watson

Quote from: HawgWild on June 19, 2015, 11:18:45 am
I've lived out here for more than 30 years and it was only a couple of years ago that I saw my first Gray Squirrel. Up until then they were all Fox Squirrels. Initially we thought they were kinda cute but they've really become a bother. They're small enough to run out to the ends of the branches on my Dogwood trees breaking off new growth. They ate all the buds off them last fall so we had no blooms this spring. I counted almost a dozen off the patio a couple of months ago. I've implemented the .410 squirrel eradication plan and managed to off 10 or 12 but they keep coming.

Wayne, can I borrow you're squirrel dog? I promise not to tell Delta Boy where I live. Anybody got any sure fire squirrel killing tips?

Sure.

The only thing better than a .410 for squirrels is a 20 ga.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

HSVhogfan2

I have them so bad they keep chewing the wires up on my patio stereo. I have a single break pellet rifle with a 4x12 scope. Kill the little bastards all the time. Figure the neighbors will call PETA soon.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Rzbakfromwaybak

HawgWild

If they are coming into your trees & yard, you don't need a squirrel dog, just more shells.  I remember that #4 shot was better in my little 410, when they were not up close.  Close shots, #6's were best. Like Wayne said, 20ga is even better. Put a squirrel feeder with sunflower seeds on a tree about 20 yds from your window, or porch. Just don't shoot up the feeder.

If PETA gets tipped off on this slaughter, & shows up, just tell them there are no squirrels left in your area.  Explain to them that several people wearing BFRO caps, were shooting &  trapping the little rascals for the last few months.  Said they were using them for some kind of bait.....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

HawgWild

I'm currently using #6 shot. The Gray Squirrels are harder for me to shoot. They don't run and stop, hunkering down on the limb/trunk like the red squirrels do.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: HawgWild on June 20, 2015, 08:32:59 am
I'm currently using #6 shot. The Gray Squirrels are harder for me to shoot. They don't run and stop, hunkering down on the limb/trunk like the red squirrels do.

They will hesitate briefly before jumping from one limb to another.  That's the time to shoot.
We don't rent pigs

HawgWild

I've noticed that. Took out a red squirrel yesterday when it was trying to play "you can't see me.".

lahawg1

Those little cat squirrels are tons of fun in the fall with a .22, I like to catch them when the native (wild tiny) pecans are getting ready and sit under a tree. With my new silencer and sub sonic ammo it should be lots of fun this year.

1highhog

Eating them is the best way to get rid of them, nothing much better in the wild other than rabbit. 

twistitup

Quote from: 1highhog on June 29, 2015, 03:53:55 pm
Eating them is the best way to get rid of them, nothing much better in the wild other than rabbit. 

This

btw there was a contest for best tasting squirrel recipe and the breakfast sausage won the contest - it's a very versatile meat.....but I like mine deep fried or w dumplngs
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

OldCoot

Interesting.  I have always seen tons of grey's.  A fox squirrel was a treat and don't see many if anymore.

Easy way to clean them: dunk them in water, cut a small gash in the middle of the back and peel from both sides.  Gut em, clean'em and stew em up.  Wish a deer was that easy.

theFlyingHog

I've gotten a limit the last 3 days. Think maybe mixin it with some venison, beef and pork for some sausage

LSUFan

Squirrel and dumplings will cure your problem.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: LSUFan on July 07, 2015, 06:19:10 pm

You ain't lyin' brother.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

pigture perfect

My grandmother made squirrel Mulligan. Wonderful stuff. It's. A soup in case you're wondering.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

Amen and get a 20 gauge .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LSUFan

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 07, 2015, 06:30:45 pm
My grandmother made squirrel Mulligan. Wonderful stuff. It's. A soup in case you're wondering.
You can't just NOT tell us what this is.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

DeltaBoy

Amen and have those left over cat head biscuits to sop the plate.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

root_hawg

Ha I have a little feeder in the back yard as well, killed a couple of fox squirrels yesterday so I could have a little fried squirrel

Großer Kriegschwein

ya'll can have all the squirrels. I don't mind culling them from around my deer stand after the season to "attempt" to keep them away from me (background noise issues and tinnitus make hearing a deer almost impossible if they are barking in a tree nearby). Usually give them to someone that actually eats em. To me it tastes like I would imagine a big fat sewer rat with a bushy tail would taste.
This is my non-signature signature.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 23, 2015, 03:44:06 pm
To me it tastes like I would imagine a big fat sewer rat with a bushy tail would taste.

Who ever is cooking them is not doing it right.
We don't rent pigs

Großer Kriegschwein

I'm sure they are. I've had it every way imaginable. I guess I inherited my grandfathers taste buds. Upland birds good. Tree and ground rodents bad.
This is my non-signature signature.

HawgWild

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Squirrel brains and eggs....  great breakfast....
"I hope we get nuked somewhere big, and soon.  LA would be a good place, as is S.F."-  Silver (Swiss) Hog 4/6/10

root_hawg

with a litle Louisana hot sauce...

Torqued pork

July 29, 2015, 11:06:51 am #25 Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:17:19 pm by Torqued pork
Those rodents with bushy tails and some homemade biscuits with gravy are fine eatin' after a cold day in the woods.

DeltaBoy

I'm not sure if that dish just might cause World Peace.

Pigasaurus

right up there with quail and rice.  when we had quail in SE AR.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

pigture perfect

Quote from: LSUFan on July 08, 2015, 05:26:34 pm
You can't just NOT tell us what this is.
Squirrel Mulligan is an Irsh stew loaded with potatoes, celery, corn and carrots. She put a lot of seasoned salt in hers, and black pepper. If you wanted it any hotter (it was already loaded with pepper) you then added the hot sauce.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

twistitup

Quote from: pigasaurus on August 16, 2015, 05:10:04 pm
right up there with quail and rice.  when we had quail in SE AR.

I miss a healthy quail population...i did hear one the other day
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

Quote from: twistitup on August 17, 2015, 04:54:23 am
I miss a healthy quail population...i did hear one the other day

I heard several when I was back in Monroe county.

root_hawg

Just moved to Central Arkansas, I got to find a place close to kill some squirrels.  Any suggestions...

1highhog

My Grandfather loved squirrel and dumplings so much that when he was killed in 1969 I remember the ole preacher saying at the graveside prayer, Lord, I can see Harlan eating his favorite meal of squirrel dumplings sitting at your table.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: root_hawg on August 18, 2015, 06:05:59 pm
Just moved to Central Arkansas, I got to find a place close to kill some squirrels.  Any suggestions...
Bayou Meto. We used to kill a few on Wattensaw

DeltaBoy

Any of the State wildlife Management areas in the state got good squirrel hunting.

GolfNut57

Quote from: OldCoot on July 07, 2015, 04:51:15 pm
Interesting.  I have always seen tons of grey's.  A fox squirrel was a treat and don't see many if anymore.

Easy way to clean them: dunk them in water, cut a small gash in the middle of the back and peel from both sides.  Gut em, clean'em and stew em up.  Wish a deer was that easy.

Greys clean a lot easier that foxes. Damn foxes it is almost impossible to get all the hair off the meat.  >:(
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: GolfNut57 on August 25, 2015, 12:38:08 am
Greys clean a lot easier that foxes. Damn foxes it is almost impossible to get all the hair off the meat.  >:(

Keep working at it , I got with years of practice that I can keep them clean.  I do use a hanging device that I got the plans from Outdoor Life or some other hunting magazine years ago.  I recycled a piece of Hwy sign .

DeltaBoy

Like this one

HawgWild

You guys with all the squirrel cooking recipes, here's your chance: WORLD CHAMPION SQUIRREL COOK OFF Bentonville Arkansas 1st 2nd and 3rd place pay-out!  ;D

http://www.squirrelcookoff.com/

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 25, 2015, 12:52:05 pm

Like this one

You recycled a highway sign.. ???

Guess we now know what happened to the stop sign on the corner... :)

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 25, 2015, 12:50:08 pm

Keep working at it , I got with years of practice that I can keep them clean.  I do use a hanging device that I got the plans from Outdoor Life or some other hunting magazine years ago. I recycled a piece of Hwy sign .

Well, that does it.  No more subscriptions to Outdoor life for me.  Encouraging vandalism, shameful!  :)

DeltaBoy

LOL back in the 1980's the Hwy Dept in Monroe County would replace Hwy signs knocked over by Tractors or Combines and throw the old sign in the ditch.  We asked and they said if you want it get it.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 02, 2015, 11:45:52 am

LOL back in the 1980's the Hwy Dept in Monroe County would replace Hwy signs knocked over by Tractors or Combines and throw the old sign in the ditch.  We asked and they said if you want it get it.

Yep, the 1980's...things were different.  Believe we now understand how this "hwy sign thing"... worked. Guess after you picked out the right size sign & color.....just drove a tractor out there when nobody was looking &....PLOP... scratch one hwy sign.  Only thing you had to do then, was wait for the hwy dept. to replace the sign, then go pick up the old one from the ditch!  Lol, Sweet deal.   8)

Delta seems to be a pretty good guy.... just have to watch him real close around hwy signs & squirrel dogs... :)   

DeltaBoy

You did not have to do it on purpose cause they got knocked down all the time.  They were made from strong metal and all you needed was a 6 inch by 14 inch piece and a vice to make the bends and then a drill and hacksaw to make one.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: HawgWild on September 01, 2015, 08:12:03 am
You guys with all the squirrel cooking recipes, here's your chance: WORLD CHAMPION SQUIRREL COOK OFF Bentonville Arkansas 1st 2nd and 3rd place pay-out!  ;D

http://www.squirrelcookoff.com/

Would love to go that but it's the same weekend we have the Arkansas Trappers Association Fall Convention on Petit Jean.
We don't rent pigs

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 04, 2015, 10:22:33 am

You did not have to do it on purpose cause they got knocked down all the time.  They were made from strong metal and all you needed was a 6 inch by 14 inch piece and a vice to make the bends and then a drill and hacksaw to make one.

Lol.  I believe you Delta, just giving you a little kiddin'..... :)

root_hawg

Went to Bayou Meta, the other day .. hot as heck, skeeters were terrible but got a limit of squirrels.   Had one tree that had 6 squirrels in it.  When I snuck up on that tree, I kinda expected to see a keg or something the way the limbs were shaking.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: root_hawg on September 11, 2015, 08:37:04 am
Went to Bayou Meta, the other day .. hot as heck, skeeters were terrible but got a limit of squirrels.   Had one tree that had 6 squirrels in it.  When I snuck up on that tree, I kinda expected to see a keg or something the way the limbs were shaking.

DEET is your friend this time of the year.

root_hawg

What was bad is my shotgun only holds 4 shells (versamax) but I got 4 of the 6 in that tree

DeltaBoy

Quote from: root_hawg on September 12, 2015, 01:43:56 pm
What was bad is my shotgun only holds 4 shells (versamax) but I got 4 of the 6 in that tree

That why I use my 870.