Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring Turkey season 2015.....Who's ready for a clucking good time??

Started by CFB_Fanatic, March 11, 2015, 09:22:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CFB_Fanatic

Anyone hearing Toms yet?? I plan on going out to do some scouting next week. Was going to this week but just got too busy. I had a friend tell me he was fishing the other day and heard one gobbling on the roost with snow still on the ground!! I was pretty suprised.

Anyway, I hope this year is better than last was for me........I saw 0 Toms last year

pigture perfect

This will be the first year in about 6 that I'll be able to actually get quality hunting time in. I hope we hit it just right.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 11, 2015, 11:12:45 pm
This will be the first year in about 6 that I'll be able to actually get quality hunting time in. I hope we hit it just right.

Well if last year was any indication season wont start until after most of the hens have been bred. Unless cold weather comes back in and pushes back the start of the breeding period.

Tigerloather

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on March 12, 2015, 04:13:00 am
Well if last year was any indication season wont start until after most of the hens have been bred. Unless cold weather comes back in and pushes back the start of the breeding period.
We may be in luck, looks like a few cooler mornings next week.  Hopefully the weather won't ruin turkey season AND the crappie spawn.  Two of my favorite things about spring!
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

rickm1976

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on March 12, 2015, 04:13:00 am

You got that right.  My brother and I had them all scouted and patterned, but by the first day of the season, they were scattered to the four winds.

str8volfan

Season starts way too late. AGFC did it on purpose. Good hatch last year, maybe with another good hatch this year, they will move it back where it should be. They dont want alot of turkeys killed.

hawgwild child

Went once last week and heard notta.  Good thing tho, I've got Thursday of for march madness so I plan on going out in the am to see if I can hear any. 

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: hawgwild child on March 16, 2015, 12:43:35 am
Went once last week and heard notta.  Good thing tho, I've got Thursday of for march madness so I plan on going out in the am to see if I can hear any.

Ill be there with you. This warmer weather should have them shakin a beard. Problem with that is turkey season doesnt start for another month lol

2hogsafrickin

They are still bunched up in my neck of the woods. NEA. Checked camera yesterday and had 16 hens together with no gobblers. On another farm this past week saw 6 long beards and 3 jakes together still.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: 2hogsafrickin on March 16, 2015, 07:56:59 am
They are still bunched up in my neck of the woods. NEA. Checked camera yesterday and had 16 hens together with no gobblers. On another farm this past week saw 6 long beards and 3 jakes together still.

Thats good news. Heard any gobblin? I will be out on Thursday and Friday (weather permitting)

2hogsafrickin

I usually don't listen til the week before season. Ive hunted the same ole farms for the past 20 years anyways. Haven't heard any gobbling reports lately.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: 2hogsafrickin on March 18, 2015, 08:33:45 am
I usually don't listen til the week before season. Ive hunted the same ole farms for the past 20 years anyways. Haven't heard any gobbling reports lately.

I'm posting this from the woods as I type. Haven't heard a gobbler all week. I'm guessing this folder weather has shut them down. I'm okay with that though

CPO Hog

Started hearing them around my house on April 1st. Central Ok.
Got my old Turkey gun out this morning.

str8volfan

I have heard more turkeys the last few days than I have heard in years. Took a couple of boys on the youth hunt this weekend, my boy passed one up this morning because he wasnt comfortable with the shot. I would be willing to bet by mid week that you will be lucky to hear anything, especially if the weather stays this warm.

root_hawg

Hunting 9 of the first 10 days, just calling on most of those days for friends but going to head to Mizzou and help film a DVD for a buddy later in the season.

edt

Heading to northern Nebraska April 23rd to hunt Merriam's for the first time. Can't hardly wait.

CFB_Fanatic

Well season starts this weekend.....I've heard 2 gobblers so far this season. Looks like it won't be a good year for me this year. I started turkey huntin last year after my grandfather passed away. It was his favorite (and best) form of hunting. All his friends tell me of how good of a turkey hunter he was. Unfortunately by the time I was old enough to go he was too old to take me, so I dont really know what I'm doing. Just going by myself and using trial and error trying to carry on his legacy. I'm still looking for my first Tom lol. Maybe I'll stumble on something!!

PorkRinds

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on April 16, 2015, 08:54:32 am
Well season starts this weekend.....I've heard 2 gobblers so far this season. Looks like it won't be a good year for me this year. I started turkey huntin last year after my grandfather passed away. It was his favorite (and best) form of hunting. All his friends tell me of how good of a turkey hunter he was. Unfortunately by the time I was old enough to go he was too old to take me, so I dont really know what I'm doing. Just going by myself and using trial and error trying to carry on his legacy. I'm still looking for my first Tom lol. Maybe I'll stumble on something!!

That's awesome dude.  And Turkey hunting isn't easy.  I know folks that have been doing it for years and have yet to kill one.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2015, 01:26:39 pm
That's awesome dude.  And Turkey hunting isn't easy.  I know folks that have been doing it for years and have yet to kill one.

Well that's not very reassuring lol

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on April 16, 2015, 08:01:47 pm
Well that's not very reassuring lol

If you are in an area with turkeys, It's more patients than anything.

PonderinHog

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on April 17, 2015, 08:07:52 am
If you are in an area with turkeys, It's more patients than anything.
Do turkeys normally roost close to hospitals ???

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

pick_DA_EAGLES

rickm1976

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2015, 01:26:39 pm

I've been hunting turkey, deer, crows, and predators for years.  I've killed more coyotes than I can count, lost count on the number of deer, and have never even got a shot at a gobbler.  They're tough to get.

PorkRinds

Quote from: rickm1976 on April 21, 2015, 12:07:05 pm
I've been hunting turkey, deer, crows, and predators for years.  I've killed more coyotes than I can count, lost count on the number of deer, and have never even got a shot at a gobbler.  They're tough to get.

Yep.  That's what I have heard.  My dad has taken two.  One with a gun and one with a cross bow!