Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AD not a done deal?

Started by RME, November 17, 2017, 11:38:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RME

Bo Mattingly tweet:

"I'm told the U of A plan is to put together a search committee to hire a new A.D. and it will be a nationwide search. One source believes they can get get a new A.D. in place by Jan 1st."

But mods on here are saying done deal, and announcement coming possibly as soon as Monday. So...which is it?

https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/931576539380178944

P.S. Not a big fan of Bo and I know he likes to stir the pot/act important. But what's the deal?

HF#1

That is either total BS or Peoples is hiring the next football coach.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Tim Harris

I think we will have a football coach before we have an AD.

Razorback de Nosferatu

So if we take a month and a half, we should be able to find an AD.  That's good.  At least we don't need a football coach or anything.

OtterHog

The biggest cause of Bo's extremely sandy nether regions as of late, is the fact that his inside track has just narrowed greatly.

I would take what he says with a grain of salt. He's still busy crying over his framed Jeff Long picture.

Tusks

Well if they announce one on Monday then Bo looks like a bigger doofus than he already is.

If they go nationwide and the AD is someone not associated with the Hogs then Bo is the new king.

dilly dilly
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HF#1

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 17, 2017, 11:41:23 am

Not optimal imo
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

parallaxpig

That would be a mistake.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

The NewEra

I don't believe for one second that Jeff Long would have been fired unless they already knew who their top three candidates were, and that one or more of them had already agreed in principal to accept the position.

There is no way the administration was planning to let the firing and hiring of a new coach to be held up while waiting on a new AD.  If I'm wrong on this then the whole situation was a grand master botched job and the President and Chancellor should be publicly flogged, which will happen, at least in the media and on the message boards.

Tim Harris

Quote from: HF#1 on November 17, 2017, 11:42:34 am
Not optimal imo

I agree but I don't think it would look good to announce a new AD within a week of firing your old one.  We all know things have been going on behinds the scenes but you usually still make it appear as if there was a search.

sowmonella

I hope not.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Hawginj

Tim Harris

Quote from: sowmonella on November 17, 2017, 11:51:36 am
I hope not.

Playing the what if game here.....If it has already been decided that Gus is the next coach and they have an agreement in principal what does it change if we have an AD or not.  Now if they have no plan on who the next HC will be then yeah it would be bad to start a search with no AD.

SooieGeneris

I don't even claim to have inside info, but I will say this: NO WAY it takes until Jan. 1 to hire an AD.

That would be 6 weeks from the time JL was fired!

It's IDIOTIC to even suggest it will take that long!

Bo must be into Grampa's cough medicine again..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Ironhawg

Quote from: The NewEra on November 17, 2017, 11:50:58 am
I don't believe for one second that Jeff Long would have been fired unless they already knew who their top three candidates were, and that one or more of them had already agreed in principal to accept the position.

There is no way the administration was planning to let the firing and hiring of a new coach to be held up while waiting on a new AD.  If I'm wrong on this then the whole situation was a grand master botched job and the President and Chancellor should be publicly flogged, which will happen, at least in the media and on the message boards.

This.  If Bo is right and the BoT and the President and Chancellor acted in haste, this will make them all look like the University of Arkansas Keystone Kops.  Surely people who have been extremely successful in their lives would not be this impetuous?

duckman

Bo's information well dried up with Long's firing.  Why do you think he has had perpetual red ass lately?

rljjr

They may have had their eyes on people, but nobody worth having is going to sully their reputation to Petrino somebody while the incumbent is in the seat. That sort of stuff always sees the light of day and that would be terrible for the program.

colbs

Hope this is not true.  I guess we'll find out soon if Bo's sources are good or not.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: tusked on November 17, 2017, 11:42:33 am
Well if they announce one on Monday then Bo looks like a bigger doofus than he already is.

If they go nationwide and the AD is someone not associated with the Hogs then Bo is the new king.

dilly dilly
anyone can play the devil' advocate, which is exactly what Mattingly does each day...Bo's schtick is beginning to wear thin. Bo has a 50-50 shot at being right, it's not like picking the winner out of a 12 horse field of Arkansas-Bred maiden claimers at Oaklawn Park.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

buldozer

I don't hear anything out of Bo's mouth other than defending Long. He has turned into nothing more than a hack

OtterHog

AD by Black Friday, HC by Dec 11 is my guess.

parallaxpig

Quote from: tusked on November 17, 2017, 11:42:33 am

dilly dilly

Or you can take the other direction and the decision to keep Bret has already been made.....
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

bville_hog

Quote from: buldozer on November 17, 2017, 12:04:57 pm
I don't hear anything out of Bo's mouth other than defending Long. He has turned into nothing more than a hack

He was sounding as bad as Chuck Barrett did after HDN got canned.  Chuck still hasn't really recovered from that.  No one will but him on talk radio anymore.  You'd think Bo would have learned.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 17, 2017, 12:08:09 pm

Or you can take the other direction and the decision to keep Bret has already been made.....

I don't know why people keep suggesting this as a possibility??? He's DONE!!!

redneckfriend

If that is true there is a serious problem here. It seems clear now that the firing of Jeff Long had nothing to do with Bielema's on field failure but was about insider politics. If they acted hastily then either Bielema stays until a new AD is hired or the BOT will tell Peoples who to hire- neither is good.

If the rift with Long was so irreparable that it was too uncomfortable for everyone to wait until the issue of a new coach was decided the powers that be need to look in the mirror and ask themselves if what they did was for the good of the athletic programs or was about their own personal grudges. Many here didn't want Long hiring the new football coach, fair enough. Do they want the BOT to make the decision based on whatever strange criteria and prejudices they may bring to the table? Do they want a lame duck coach to stay on until well into the new year? Do they feel comfortable with the probably anonymous "search committee"  looking for someone who can satisfy all of the egos on the BOT, when they know Long couldn't even though he is respected among his peers?

By playing loose with Long they have set themselves up to fail. The right way to go was to fire Bielema and Long at the end of the season. Make it appear that the reason Long was fired was related to Bielema's failure. Hire a new AD and let him (or her) decide about the new coach. People better hope this isn't true and they do have an AD but I suspect they don't.

HF#1

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 17, 2017, 11:51:30 am
I agree but I don't think it would look good to announce a new AD within a week of firing your old one.  We all know things have been going on behinds the scenes but you usually still make it appear as if there was a search.

Who cares? Do what is best for the program, not what look good.

HF#1

If we fired Long two weeks before the end of the season, knowing Bielema is gone to, and we didn't have an AD already lined up then the Chancellor and BOT need to pack their crap as well.

I fully expect the AD to be named/announced early next week. I also think Bielema will coach his last game Saturday.

Pigsknuckles

Been wrong before (and often), but I believe we will still have CBB in 2018. Though I have been ready to throw the baby out with the bath water, I think the firing of Long served as a shot across Bielema's bow. In retrospect, a wholesale purge may be too destabilizing.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Ironhawg

Dudley Dawson just said on the radio Kevin Scanlon has heart issues which probably eliminate him from the AD job.

Tusks

Dudley just said on Grant's show that Scanlon has health issue, heart, and won't be taking the job.  bummer.

Hogwaller

Long's house has been listed on Zillow for 10 days and listed with a real estate agenet. All the interior photos showed empty rooms, cleaned slick as a whistle. That was some fast moving if he didn't know far in advance.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on November 17, 2017, 12:16:14 pm
Been wrong before (and often), but I believe we will still have CBB in 2018. Though I have been ready to throw the baby out with the bath water, I think the firing of Long served as a shot across Bielema's bow. In retrospect, a wholesale purge may be too destabilizing.

Face palm. He ain't stayin folks

HogFanOSU

If that is what university officials are saying, it's all PR and a smoke screen to appear fair and politically correct.  They already knew who was going to replace JL before they fired him, otherwise firing him now made no sense at all if they want to replace the football coach and staff. My bet is Kevin Scanlon will be the new AD.  He appears the only one that could immediately step in and have a network of people around him that knows the program and he trusts, and could make things happen immediately.

Tusks

Quote from: HogFanOSU on November 17, 2017, 12:19:02 pm
If that is what university officials are saying, it's all PR and a smoke screen to appear fair and politically correct.  They already knew who was going to replace JL before they fired him, otherwise firing him now made no sense at all if they want to replace the football coach and staff. My bet is Kevin Scanlon will be the new AD.  He appears the only one that could immediately step in and have a network of people around him that knows the program and he trusts, and could make things happen immediately.

Scanlon is out, heart/health issue.

longtimeHogfan

I never say never but.....most coaches would want to know who their boss is going to be before taking the job. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

RME

Quote from: tusked on November 17, 2017, 12:16:33 pm
Dudley just said on Grant's show that Scanlon has health issue, heart, and won't be taking the job.  bummer.

Damn. He was my favorite of the names being thrown around.

Tusks

If the next HC is Gus or Norvell then hiring an AD that can get along with them shouldn't be hard.

The only time you should get an issue is if the new AD says, I could have gotten Nick Saban if you'd hired me first.

Tweeter

Quote from: OtterHog™ on November 17, 2017, 11:42:30 am
The biggest cause of Bo's extremely sandy nether regions as of late, is the fact that his inside track has just narrowed greatly.

I would take what he says with a grain of salt. He's still busy crying over his framed Jeff Long picture.

THIS!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: tusked on November 17, 2017, 12:20:09 pm
Scanlon is out, heart/health issue.

Trading the market is a walk in the park? I'm kidding, hopefully Kevin takes it easy and retires.

longtimeHogfan

....... In retrospect, a wholesale purge may be too destabilizing.

Personally, I think a sharp knife cuts the cleanest.  Do it all at once, quickly, and start the healing process immediately.  Don't drag it out.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Cylinder

Quote from: duckman on November 17, 2017, 11:56:45 am
Bo's information well dried up with Long's firing.  Why do you think he has had perpetual red ass lately?

Actually, Long before -- pun intended.

Little man was calling the prospect on Long being in trouble delusional the very week he was fired. This season he was still pumping if you don't see how B is going to be successful, you don't know football.

UA is a public university and subject to the EEOC. They are required to do a search regardless of circumstance.

Seebs

This needs to be hashed out before the Dec 20 early signing date and bringing in a coach before the AD is an arranged marriage with more risks than benefit.

By Jan 1 means no later than Jan 1 in my reading so Monday could still be in play with that timeline.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

TexArkHogFan

There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Ironhawg

Quote from: Seebs on November 17, 2017, 12:27:51 pm

This needs to be hashed out before the Dec 20 early signing date and bringing in a coach before the AD is an arranged marriage with more risks than benefit.

Agree completely on having this settled before the early signing period.  On the second part, I agree unless you already have arranged it with both parties and they each know who the other is and are good with it all.

CareBear

Quote from: OtterHog™ on November 17, 2017, 11:42:30 am

I concur. Bo is loyal to those who can do something for him. He gets these national talking head types to call in his show so it appears that the BS he is selling is the truth. He knows damn, good, and well what these guys opinions are beforehand. I don't believe that the calls are live. Pre-recorded most likely. I'm sure that is the norm. What the hell does Dari Nowka know about Arkansas from the ESPN campus in Bristol? Same difference in regards to Kirk Herbstreit. They prolly know what Bo has told them. Bo was obviously tight with Bert, Jen, & Jeff so yes indeed he is throwing a baby fit b/c he will have to actually be on a level playing field in regards to access. Perhaps it's good entertainment for some, but I personally don't think it's funny when he talks over people who bring up valid questions on his show. Hells Bells he even talked over Mike Irwin yesterday on his show when Mike was making some valid assessments of what's going on. Jeff Long was fired for good reason y'all. He caused our program a great deal of pain. Ridiculous decisions in regards to hiring of coaches. Then he fires Bobby, even though he knew of the affair, and used that action for self gain. With all the money in NWA from Walmart, Tyson, JB Hunt, & the SEC money I think a chimpanzee in a suit could raise money. Then you factor in the ostracizing of Little Rock fans by both himself & Bert. That was foolish. Bert was making all these passive aggressive comments about how they considered it a road game, etc. Perhaps the infamous GOBN needed to be checked back in the day, but I don't think it's ever a bad thing to have people who GENUINELY care about this state & team around the program. Bo was trying to imply that this group of rich good ol boys were trying to play puppet master. He kept on stressing how "bizarre" it was to fire the AD before we had a coach. Obviously Jeffy had pushed people to the point in which things had to be done. Arkansas may not be the best job in the world, but I suspect there are a lot of talented coaches & AD's who know that this is a wonderful place to live & work. After these past 5 years the new coach doesn't even have  to be a world beater. I think we all just want to have people who care & can be trusted with our program. These past 5+ yrs have been #uncommon... Uncommonly bad!
I'm ready to be excited about football again. Apathy had set in for many of us. That's really sad IMO. I used to not even be able to read the sports section after a loss. I wouldn't even let my eyes see the sports  page. Life has changed & I have a wonderful 13 year old son to take care of, but I sure hope that Razorback spirit returns with avengence...Bo don't know didley!

Jim Harris

Quote from: HF#1 on November 17, 2017, 11:39:54 am
That is either total BS or Peoples is hiring the next football coach.

Peoples will do what she's told to do. Arkansas is an SEC school with an SEC booster power base. That's how the SEC works.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

NuttinItUp

Why would more than one candidate accept the same AD position?

That makes no sense at all.

moses_007

Quote from: Hogwaller on November 17, 2017, 12:16:36 pm
Long's house has been listed on Zillow for 10 days and listed with a real estate agenet. All the interior photos showed empty rooms, cleaned slick as a whistle. That was some fast moving if he didn't know far in advance.
Wow, so he packed up and left town overnight.  Moving companies can work fast, you know.

NuttinItUp

If Gus wins the Iron Bowl/SECCG and goes to the playoffs, I can see the chances of CBB staying until next year increasing. Especially with the new AD situation.

HF#1

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 17, 2017, 12:32:35 pm
Peoples will do what she's told to do. Arkansas is an SEC school with an SEC booster power base. That's how the SEC works.

I have no doubt about that. What I don't buy is that we are conducting some sort of national search. If that is the case, this wasn't planned or well thought out.