Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrino Lovers

Started by soooieman, September 18, 2017, 11:28:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 12:39:11 pm
Ole Miss twice, Miss St., Kentucky and South Carolina

All of which happened in his first 2 years when he was still rebuilding the program.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jkstock04

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 19, 2017, 12:32:00 pm
Did Petrino, at Arkansas, ever lose to a team that we were favored to beat?  I don't think he did, but I could be mistaken.
To the best of my knowledge, we won every game we were favored in via sports betting lines.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Been10Hog

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 19, 2017, 12:47:55 pm
To the best of my knowledge, we won every game we were favored in via sports betting lines.
Same story. So the question is how many was he favored in in 2011 to win those 11 games. Should every coach be expected to win 11 games? If BP was favored in 11 and won 11 does that make him superior. We were favored in 5 last year and won 7. So .....

RME

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 12:55:32 pm
Same story. So the question is how many was he favored in in 2011 to win those 11 games. Should every coach be expected to win 11 games? If BP was favored in 11 and won 11 does that make him superior. We were favored in 5 last year and won 7. So .....

No matter how many we may or may not have been "favored" in, isn't 11 superior to 7?

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Been10Hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 19, 2017, 12:57:02 pm
No matter how many we may or may not have been "favored" in, isn't 11 superior to 7?
I think doing better than you are expected to do is better than doing what you are expected to do

Wildhog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 01:00:19 pm
I think doing better than you are expected to do is better than doing what you are expected to do

You're pretty darn good if you're expected to win 11 games.
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

I do agree with you, but I would rather be expected to win 11 and meet that expectation, than be expected to win 5 and do 2 better.

MountieDawg

Petrino required discipline on the field.  That leads to winning!  Parents should be responsible for their kids discipline off the field.  Petrino had to be fired, no business in their right mind could have kept him!  You cant write big checks to your girlfriend with your company checks.
SEC!

EastexHawg

Are you seriously making this argument?  The coach who by his 4th year on the job builds a program that is only favored win five games, but wins seven, has done a better job than the coach who in the same amount of time has built a program that is both favored in and wins eleven?

Really?

Been10Hog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 19, 2017, 01:01:23 pm
I do agree with you, but I would rather be expected to win 11 and meet that expectation, than be expected to win 5 and do 2 better.
I would just rather win 11 regardless. But, I'm pretty sure BB would have preferred playing an 0-8 Ole Miss team who fired their coach, a 1-7 Tennessee team who fired their coach, A&M team who fired their coach and a imploding 4-4 Auburn team that went 0-8 the next year and fired their coach. No coaching changes on last year's schedule other than LSU who still went 8-4/5-3

Wildhog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 01:10:07 pm
I would just rather win 11 regardless. But, I'm pretty sure BB would have preferred playing an 0-8 Ole Miss team who fired their coach, a 1-7 Tennessee team who fired their coach, A&M team who fired their coach and a imploding 4-4 Auburn team that went 0-8 the next year and fired their coach. No coaching changes on last year's schedule other than LSU who still went 8-4/5-3

We had a top 5 SOS in 2010, and won 10 games.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The real Hogules

Quote from: MountieDawg on September 19, 2017, 01:06:28 pm
Petrino required discipline on the field.  That leads to winning!  Parents should be responsible for their kids discipline off the field.  Petrino had to be fired, no business in their right mind could have kept him!  You cant write big checks to your girlfriend with your company checks.

There's stories on the internet right now, saying that Bobby Petrino will have his choice of SEC jobs at the end of the season, should he choose to leave Louisville. Saying Petrino had to be fired is an overstatement. Allegedly Jeff Long offered CBP a "pass", if he'd accept Long's terms. So, it doesn't sound to me as if Bobby Petrino HAD to be fired.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Been10Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 01:11:58 pm
We had a top 5 SOS in 2010, and won 10 games.
Ok...do you not think those 4 teams were different in strength in 2011 and 2016. That's all I'm saying. You can't control the schedule but the difference should be obvious, 4 firings

RME

Expectation: Win 11 games. What happens: Win 11 games. Did what was expected.

Expectation: Win 1 game. What happens: Win 4 games. Did better than expected.

Yeah I'll take the expectation of 11 and reality of 11. That's just me, though.

Wildhog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 01:14:26 pm
Ok...do you not think those 4 teams were different in strength in 2011 and 2016. That's all I'm saying. You can't control the schedule but the difference should be obvious, 4 firings

Top 5 SOS.

10 wins.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jkstock04

This is looney logic boss. Same as OP. By this logic you are telling me that Saban/Bama isn't superior.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Been10Hog

RME

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 19, 2017, 01:15:12 pm
This is looney logic boss. Same as OP. By this logic you are telling me that Saban/Bama isn't superior.

Bingo. Saban expected to win a natty. Saban wins a natty. Did what was expected, ergo, by his logic, not superior.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

rzrbkman

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 19, 2017, 12:15:46 pm
Bielema I believe has lost 4 of his last 6 games at Arkansas...

PRJ

Yes, but CBP is supposed to be better than that.

RME

Quote from: rzrbkman on September 19, 2017, 01:56:15 pm
Yes, but CBP is supposed to be better than that.

Coach A: Overall record 94-51. Winning percentage at same school as Coach B: 49.06%

Coach B: Overall record 111-44. Winning percentage at same school as Coach A: 66.67%

Which one is better again?

007 License To Squeal

Team A is expected to win 6 games, but wins 7
Team B is expected to win the NC.  They do.

Which is better again??
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

rzrbkman

My point is still CBP has lost 4 of his last 6 games.

RME

Quote from: rzrbkman on September 19, 2017, 02:02:18 pm
My point is still CBP has lost 4 of his last 6 games.

If you're using a sample size of 6 games to describe years of coaching, you've already lost. Several posters, including myself, have given you factual, hard numbers.

Not our fault you can synthesize information.

rzrbkman

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 19, 2017, 02:04:00 pm
If you're using a sample size of 6 games to describe years of coaching, you've already lost. Several posters, including myself, have given you factual, hard numbers.

Not our fault you can synthesize information.

I was just providing undisputable fact, not opinion.

RME

Quote from: rzrbkman on September 19, 2017, 02:06:32 pm

I never said you were wrong nor what you said was opinion.

rzrbkman

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: rzrbkman on September 19, 2017, 02:06:32 pm

I also presented undisputable fact....about the coach we have in the here and now...not a coach who is 6 years removed from the program. All the facts you want to run out about Petrino, all the opinions of Petrino that you run out saying success was unsustainable...doesn't stop the undisputed fact that he went 10-3, 11-2 in years three and four. Something that the great Bielema has not come close...not even in the same ball park...Petrino would coach circles around the guy we have here now...

Petrino no longer matters. What matters is the here and now....and the here and now looks bleak. You want to discuss something relevant to the Razorbacks, discuss how for 5 years we have had zero special teams...a unit that Bret was proud to say he was in cbarge of. Discuss how we can't seem to put 4 quarters of consistent football together. Discuss how he says how great one unit looks, then we see them on the field and wonder what is he thinking?

If you want to continue to drag on about Bobby....talk about while here in Arkansas in year 4, he didn't lose to a Mizzou...or a Virginia Tech or lay down against Auburn ...go back further and tell me when he lost to Rutgers, or Toledo...or Texas Tech...maybe you can compare his record against A&M with Bret's record against A&M....

It isn't love for Bobby...it is love for nice things.

PRJ

hoglady

The fact this thread has been at the top of MMQB for the better part of a few days - sure reveals the current state of Razorback football. And the faith or lack thereof in Bielema as head coach.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

gchamblee

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 19, 2017, 02:22:04 pm
I also presented undisputable fact....about the coach we have in the here and now...not a coach who is 6 years removed from the program. All the facts you want to run out about Petrino, all the opinions of Petrino that you run out saying success was unsustainable...doesn't stop the undisputed fact that he went 10-3, 11-2 in years three and four. Something that the great Bielema has not come close...not even in the same ball park...Petrino would coach circles around the guy we have here now...

Petrino no longer matters. What matters is the here and now....and the here and now looks bleak. You want to discuss something relevant to the Razorbacks, discuss how for 5 years we have had zero special teams...a unit that Bret was proud to say he was in cbarge of. Discuss how we can't seem to put 4 quarters of consistent football together. Discuss how he says how great one unit looks, then we see them on the field and wonder what is he thinking?

If you want to continue to drag on about Bobby....talk about while here in Arkansas in year 4, he didn't lose to a Mizzou...or a Virginia Tech or lay down against Auburn ...go back further and tell me when he lost to Rutgers, or Toledo...or Texas Tech...maybe you can compare his record against A&M with Bret's record against A&M....

PRJ

The here and now is feeling quite bleak. Winning the next game will make that feeling go away some. Each win after that will erode that feeling more and more. Im hopeful for a turn around and pessimistic enough to not expect it. 1 game, regardless of how good or how bad, does not make a season. However, a string of good or bad games can cure or kill us as fans. I know that everyone negative is justified in feeling so because we have a string of disappointments to hang that emotion on. Now we just need a string of good to change the emotion. Only one way that happens. Wins followed by more wins and a whole lot less disappointment.

RME

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 19, 2017, 02:22:04 pm

Honest to God, probably the best summation of the Petrino era. No one can doubt he was/is/might still be a scummy guy. Hard to say he's not a helluva football coach.

But you summed that up better than anything I've seen on this board thus far.

gchamblee

Quote from: hoglady on September 19, 2017, 02:26:50 pm
The fact this thread has been at the top of MMQB for the better part of a few days - sure reveals the current state of Razorback football. And the faith or lack thereof in Bielema as head coach.

No it doesn't. It is a thread crafted with the intent of sparking heated arguments. Those types of threads are very active and will always dominate the home page when left to thrive. I prefer they be left here because it can isolate most of the ugly attitudes into 1 thread. When a thread like this gets deleted or moved, that ugly side of the 2 sides will just migrate to other threads.

Been10Hog

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on September 19, 2017, 02:00:57 pm
Team A is expected to win 6 games, but wins 7
Team B is expected to win the NC.  They do.

Which is better again??
You sir are no scientist!

Roaringboar

Quote from: soooieman on September 18, 2017, 11:28:58 pm
I told myself I'd never speak his name again, but after seeing his name pop up in countless posts as "Arkansas can compete for a championship in the SEC with BP" replies and people thinking it was coaching that got us there in 2010-2011 during those "magical" years.
Before I start, let's see how well Hogville can comprehend. DO NOT REPLY WITH BUT BUT BUT CBB this CBB that. Stay on topic and leave Bielema out of this thread. This post is simply to bring some reality to the 2 good years BP had. Go on another post to gripe and moan.

BP only beat 2 SEC teams with winning conference records over those 2 years. TWO! Remember Troy and the Vanderbilt games? Yeah, very similar to the Toledo game. Very lucky to win either of those games. Whenever he played a good team (Alabama) he got blasted just like he did Saturday night vs Clemson.
Also, he fell into a natural lucky recruiting situation. Chris Gragg, DJ Williams, Tyler Wilson, just to name a few were razorbacks no matter who was here. Put all the in state talent combined with an SEC that was really, really, down equals an overvalued 2 years and fools gold. He did beat LSU with Jordan Jefferson. Congrats to him for that feat. Not that we haven't done that in the past few years or anything (cough cough)
At Louisville last year he had the Heisman Trophy WINNER and still struggled with that team. Losses to Virginia and Kentucky combined with several close calls to teams like Duke. He is one of the most overrated coaches in the history of college football when you really dig into his record. Do not just look at W's and L's but who he beat. Point is stop acting like we had an elite coach ... truth is we never had one.

Look, this is just ignorance. Petrino had and 11-1 and 10-2 record in a conference that was rated as the best of all time during his time at Arkansas. Those two years weren't jokes, they were legitimate seasons that led us to a new era in the program many weren't sure were possible. All this is is a pro Bilema post. You say don't praise Petrino, which I do think the man is a lowlife, but then you're willing to say Bilema would've done wonders if he'd been in Petrino's place. Does that mean, by your standards, the Bilema can only win if he's in a mediocre conference? I mean, let's face it, that's what his reputation is built on. Sure he took Wisconsin to three Rose Bowls, but that was in an era of the Big Ten before you had Franklin at Penn State, Harbaugh at Michigan, and Meyer at Ohio State. The reason people are bringing up Petrino is because he ran this program like it was Alabama or LSU. We weren't some joke. And now we are, especially after the way last season ended and this season has started. Even if we win this week, which we should since A&M is a mediocre program right now, what is going to happen when we take on Miss State? Auburn? LSU? I'm already having nightmares about the Alabama game. We cannot win playing Bilema's style of "Big Boy" ball as he used to call it. We sure as heck couldn't run it against TCU the other night.  And what's Bilema's answer to everything? Nothing. The depth chart is the exact same except for a kicker. You say, "Don't bring up your issues with Bilema", well don't tout your issues about Petrino. Petrino left Arkansas, had a great year at Western Kentucky, and he's really done a good job at Louisville. Unlike CB, he showed up at the ACC right when it was becoming the elite conference it is now. Between Florida State, Clemson, UM, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech Petrino has a lot to handle. Not saying Bilema doesn't, but Louisville at least finished in the top 25 last year. Where were we with your beloved Bilema at the helm??????
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

hoglady

Quote from: gchamblee on September 19, 2017, 02:33:57 pm
No it doesn't. It is a thread crafted with the intent of sparking heated arguments. Those types of threads are very active and will always dominate the home page when left to thrive. I prefer they be left here because it can isolate most of the ugly attitudes into 1 thread. When a thread like this gets deleted or moved, that ugly side of the 2 sides will just migrate to other threads.

It doesn't have to be ugly.

I loved Petrino.
I loved Lou Holtz.
I loved Eddie Sutton.

It doesn't mean you don't support the next coach up.
As a sports fan - I can follow and wish success for our former coaches and still support the Razorback program first and foremost.
It doesn't have to be either/or.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

IronHog

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 19, 2017, 02:57:07 pm
Look, this is just ignorance. Petrino had and 11-1 and 10-2 record in a conference that was rated as the best of all time during his time at Arkansas. Those two years weren't jokes, they were legitimate seasons that led us to a new era in the program many weren't sure were possible. All this is is a pro Bilema post. You say don't praise Petrino, which I do think the man is a lowlife, but then you're willing to say Bilema would've done wonders if he'd been in Petrino's place. Does that mean, by your standards, the Bilema can only win if he's in a mediocre conference? I mean, let's face it, that's what his reputation is built on. Sure he took Wisconsin to three Rose Bowls, but that was in an era of the Big Ten before you had Franklin at Penn State, Harbaugh at Michigan, and Meyer at Ohio State. The reason people are bringing up Petrino is because he ran this program like it was Alabama or LSU. We weren't some joke. And now we are, especially after the way last season ended and this season has started. Even if we win this week, which we should since A&M is a mediocre program right now, what is going to happen when we take on Miss State? Auburn? LSU? I'm already having nightmares about the Alabama game. We cannot win playing Bilema's style of "Big Boy" ball as he used to call it. We sure as heck couldn't run it against TCU the other night.  And what's Bilema's answer to everything? Nothing. The depth chart is the exact same except for a kicker. You say, "Don't bring up your issues with Bilema", well don't tout your issues about Petrino. Petrino left Arkansas, had a great year at Western Kentucky, and he's really done a good job at Louisville. Unlike CB, he showed up at the ACC right when it was becoming the elite conference it is now. Between Florida State, Clemson, UM, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech Petrino has a lot to handle. Not saying Bilema doesn't, but Louisville at least finished in the top 25 last year. Where were we with your beloved Bilema at the helm??????

Give BP a year with BBs current team and he beats TCU easily
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

gchamblee

Quote from: hoglady on September 19, 2017, 03:23:32 pm
It doesn't have to be ugly.

I loved Petrino.
I loved Lou Holtz.
I loved Eddie Sutton.

It doesn't mean you don't support the next coach up.
As a sports fan - I can follow and wish success for our former coaches and still support the Razorback program first and foremost.
It doesn't have to be either/or.

it dont have to, but it do

trippigs

I certainly do nor worship Bobby Petrino or any coach for that matter. But I do think he was a very exciting coach which really made it fun. Attended my first Hog game in 1959 so I have seen a little Razorback football upon which to have an opinion.

RebHog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 19, 2017, 09:21:36 am
BP is a good coach, but you do have to admit it was very fortunate for him, given his offense, to come here at the same time that a AR HS in a town of about 5k produced THREE NFL draft picks at skill positions, also produced Adams and Hamilton, TW, and RM decided to come home ( yes I know he went to TExas high in Texarkana, but he was a Hog ). BP got Adams and TW to change their commitments, good job there. Also was left some good players like Bequette, DJ Williams, Swanson.

It would be like if BB had come here and at the same time the HS crop in state was full of stud rb's and linemen.

How is all this talent doing in the league?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: gchamblee on September 19, 2017, 02:31:07 pm
The here and now is feeling quite bleak. Winning the next game will make that feeling go away some. Each win after that will erode that feeling more and more. Im hopeful for a turn around and pessimistic enough to not expect it. 1 game, regardless of how good or how bad, does not make a season. However, a string of good or bad games can cure or kill us as fans. I know that everyone negative is justified in feeling so because we have a string of disappointments to hang that emotion on. Now we just need a string of good to change the emotion. Only one way that happens. Wins followed by more wins and a whole lot less disappointment.

Correct.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ChitownHawg

Quote from: RebHog on September 19, 2017, 05:16:10 pm
How is all this talent doing in the league?

Dumb question. Dmac, one of the greatest all time Hogs, hasn't faired well either.

The point is - how many Akransas classes produced that many skilled players from one class? Before or since.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on September 19, 2017, 05:23:48 pm
Meh.

1.  Bobby Petrino is a three-time organization killer.
2.  "Nice things?"  He showed us we could have nice things?
3.  Only if buying on credit from Rent-A-Center satisfies you.

With Bobby, the bill always comes due (before Year Five) and you wind up paying too much for the crappy stereo.

Bobby Petrino is a bum.

I like the analogy.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 12:44:29 pm

You still pushing the BP left nothing narriative?

What did his recruits do the following 2 years? Are you trying to sell the idea that those recruits were going to win 10 games, but their talent, knowledge, and skill flew away when BP left? What a con!
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Wildhog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 19, 2017, 05:31:24 pm
What did his recruits do the following 2 years? Are you trying to sell the idea that those recruits were going to win 10 games, but their talent, knowledge, and skill flew away when BP left? What a con!

Eh... He left some pretty good pieces.  More than what Nutt left for Bobby, IMO.
1909/1964/1965/1977

MountieDawg

Quote from: The real Hogules on September 19, 2017, 01:11:58 pm
There's stories on the internet right now, saying that Bobby Petrino will have his choice of SEC jobs at the end of the season, should he choose to leave Louisville. Saying Petrino had to be fired is an overstatement. Allegedly Jeff Long offered CBP a "pass", if he'd accept Long's terms. So, it doesn't sound to me as if Bobby Petrino HAD to be fired.

Long was willing to forgive the wreck, the girlfriend and the lying, at that point he was offering a deal... when you hire her and you write her another big fat check with the UofA's checkbook...He had to fire him!!!
SEC!

IronHog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 19, 2017, 05:31:24 pm

BP was the key......and tons of good players washed out in the weird transition

RebHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 19, 2017, 05:26:55 pm
Dumb question. Dmac, one of the greatest all time Hogs, hasn't faired well either.

The point is - how many Akransas classes produced that many skilled players from one class? Before or since.

Okay that's one guy NONE of these skilled players panned out. Maybe give some credit to the coach and his system that elevated their play. Well Wright does make it on the field here and there so I guess not a total whiff.
DMAC by def is a bust in the NFL but you can still see his talent stick out in the NFL at times just not consistently. It was a bad combo of going to the raiders and injuries caused him to not have a better NFL career.

Wildhog

I would argue that DMac did pan out in the NFL.
1909/1964/1965/1977

IronHog

Adams was a d-back
Wright is pretty small
Childs tore up both knees
Dennis Johnson fumbled
Mallettt has an attitude problem
Cobi Hamilton lacked upper body strength
Gragg has been a platoon player

All these guys were very good college players but the transition to the NFL is low % at best.