Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Skiing at Keystone or Breckenridge, Co

Started by Texas Hog1, February 05, 2018, 08:22:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Hog1

I will be around Denver, Co area for some days, and want to breakaway to go skiing.  I will have wife, and kids with me and I believe Keystone will be better location for skiing with kids.  We will have to rent equipment as well!  Does anyone have input on skiing in that area, and rentals?  This will be our first rodeo!

McKdaddy

I was hoping you'd have some responses.  We skied Breck for some time, but that was over 10 years ago, and thus I'm no longer a resource on it.  We visited Winter Park a few years ago to try somewhere different and haven't gone elsewhere since.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HighcountryHog

I live over the pass in the Eagle Co., but lived in Summit for many years.  I'd go with Keystone.  Breck: great town, horrible ski mountain.  It's 500 feet of good vert then goes flat.  It's also the windiest mountain in Colorado.  It will be calm throughout the state, but if you're on the mountain at Breck it will be blowing 15+mph.  The running joke in Summit is that Breck reports big snow totals, but by the time you get there it's all been blown to Kansas.  If you have a vehicle and can carry your gear, then rent down in Denver.  You'll save money.  If not, then just stop at either Christy Sports or Keystone Sports in River Run Village. 
no bumps, no fat chicks

Wildhog

I prefer Keystone, but Breck is a lot of fun, too.  Can't go wrong with either.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Texas Hog1

Jackrabbit Hog

I've skied all three (Winter Park, Breckenridge, Keystone) in my lifetime, although it's been quite a few years.  Here's my take, and others can chime in.

Winter Park is the closest and most convenient resort to Denver.  Relatively short drive or shuttle ride to there, but I'd only consider it if your ski days are during the week.  Winter Park tends to get most of the Denver weekend crowd so it can be very crowded on the slopes.  But if you're there Monday-Thursday, it's generally great.

Breckenridge used to be more geared to the spring break, party crowd.  Not sure if it still is, but depending on what you're looking for, you may run into more of the younger crowd there.  Great nightlife though; better than either WP or Keystone.

Keystone is overall smaller and more oriented to the serious ski crowd. 

All three have excellent skiing and a good mix of green, blue and black slopes.  Hope you have enough snow, wherever you decide to go.  We were in Park City (Utah) for a week last month and at the time, every resort in the Rockies was hurting for snow.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Wildhog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 08, 2018, 01:35:18 pm
I've skied all three (Winter Park, Breckenridge, Keystone) in my lifetime, although it's been quite a few years.  Here's my take, and others can chime in.

Winter Park is the closest and most convenient resort to Denver.  Relatively short drive or shuttle ride to there, but I'd only consider it if your ski days are during the week.  Winter Park tends to get most of the Denver weekend crowd so it can be very crowded on the slopes.  But if you're there Monday-Thursday, it's generally great.

Breckenridge used to be more geared to the spring break, party crowd.  Not sure if it still is, but depending on what you're looking for, you may run into more of the younger crowd there.  Great nightlife though; better than either WP or Keystone.

Keystone is overall smaller and more oriented to the serious ski crowd. 

All three have excellent skiing and a good mix of green, blue and black slopes.  Hope you have enough snow, wherever you decide to go.  We were in Park City (Utah) for a week last month and at the time, every resort in the Rockies was hurting for snow.

I haven't been to Winter Park, but I've always thought, compared to Breck, that Keystone is better skiing and a more relaxed environment. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogcore

IMO Breckenridge is far superior to Keystone as far as the slopes are concerned. However, its a younger crowd.

Keystone is nice as well.

Inhogswetrust

February 24, 2018, 07:00:22 am #9 Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:17:37 am by Inhogswetrust
Out of the three mentioned I like Breck the best. My two favorites in Colorado are Vail and Steamboat. But close to Denver and with kids I would choose Winter Park.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

holeinthewall

QuoteIf you have a vehicle and can carry your gear, then rent down in Denver.  You'll save money

Defintiely this especially if not much snow is expected while you are there. It is an easy drive out 70.. I have skied Breckenridge, Cooper, Keystone, Winter Park and Vail.  Back side bowls at Vail are a lot of fun.

We mostly ski black and bowls.

gratefulhogg

Buttermilk, just walking around in Aspen is nice!
If Hilary can still ride with Bill after the Monica situation, I can still ride with the Hogs after a Defeat!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: gratefulhogg on March 11, 2018, 11:00:36 am
Buttermilk, just walking around in Aspen is nice!
He said he would be in the Denver area..not the Aspen area. Giving him tips on ski mtns 4 hours away is not helpful.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

gratefulhogg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 12, 2018, 11:03:42 am
He said he would be in the Denver area..not the Aspen area. Giving him tips on ski mtns 4 hours away is not helpful.
any ski resort is 1.5-4 hours away. Keystone, Vail. Aspen is beautiful! Just putting my two cents in. There all in the Denver area.
If Hilary can still ride with Bill after the Monica situation, I can still ride with the Hogs after a Defeat!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: gratefulhogg on March 12, 2018, 04:13:00 pm
any ski resort is 1.5-4 hours away. Keystone, Vail. Aspen is beautiful! Just putting my two cents in. There all in the Denver area.
Denver area is not Aspen. 4 hours away is not Denver area.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.