Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

any scrimmage news from the weekend

Started by Kevin, October 02, 2017, 09:33:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

factchecker

Small tidbits from today's scrimmage:

We've got some power throughout the lineup.

It looks like we've improved our speed.

Koch hit a homer off of Blaine Knight.  Pretty fun seeing two of our best players face each other.

Don't hit Evan Lee.  Angus Denton beaned Evan Lee on his arm.  In scrimmages the rule is that a base-runner gets put on and the batter stays in to bat.  Lee shook off the hit albeit with a grimace.  He waited patiently, picked out his pitch, and put the ball in the visiting bull pen.  Home Run Evan Lee!
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

dotnet

Any one stand out as much improved? Anyone in any new position?

PorkRyan

Don't they normally post box scores from the Fall WS?  I haven't seen one yet. 

Kevin

Quote from: PorkRyan on October 06, 2017, 01:16:01 pm
Don't they normally post box scores from the Fall WS?  I haven't seen one yet. 
yes they will. it does not start till next wednesday
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogwild04

Quote from: dotnet on October 06, 2017, 05:53:18 am
Any one stand out as much improved? Anyone in any new position?

I doubt there will be a lot of surprises in the line-up, with all the returners coming back I only see a few places that will up for grabs as of now.  Freshman Casey Martin and Heston Hjerstad will be competing for 3rd and Outfield,  Seems they are still looking what to do with Bonnin, he did look really strong throwing on Friday, do you risk injury in the field?.  those are the 3 I would expect to be newbies in the field either starting or not, I'm sure we will see them in there at some point.  As 1st, 2nd, SS, Lf, CF and C goes they will be locked up by returners, so no surprises there.  Pitching, Knight and Campbell should be 1 & 2, no surprise there. should have about 3 or 4 Freshman with a few of upperclassman like Lee  getting mid-week and Sunday games,  with one getting to be a closer.   Lee will be a legit 2 way threat.   We should be a force this year and when the freshman get some experience this year, we will be a legit powerhouse for the next 3 years. 

dotnet

Quote from: hogwild04 on October 08, 2017, 10:59:09 pm
Seems they are still looking what to do with Bonnin, he did look really strong throwing on Friday, do you risk injury in the field?.

I hope this isn't a deciding factor.  They have depth this year.. just let him play

Scott7703

Quote from: dotnet on October 09, 2017, 04:35:34 pm
I hope this isn't a deciding factor.  They have depth this year.. just let him play

Bonin is one of the best 9 position players on this team. The kid needs to bat.

navyhog24

What field position is most natural to Bonin?

Knot2brite

Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Scott7703

Quote from: navyhog24 on October 09, 2017, 06:27:39 pm
What field position is most natural to Bonin?

He played shortstop in high school but I think 3rd base may be where he ends up. That's just my opinion of course.

factchecker

Quote from: Knot2brite on October 09, 2017, 09:20:28 pm
So.......who's on first? McFarland?

They've repped Gates there a ton.  Bonfield has also rotated through on first.

Might see Ripp get some time there as well.  He is huge.  Like 6'5".
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogwild04

Bonin I believe would start in the field somewhere if he did not pitch, He hyper extended his knee  in a scrimmage over a week ago, and that may be why they are getting conservative with him, at least in the fall. 
Casey Martin has looked great at 3rd, so as of now I would predict him being there, in front of Bonin to protect a pitcher.  It is brutal to be a legit 2 way guy in SEC, especially as a freshman. We have so much talent and depth along with experience, do we need to risk any thing by going 2 ways when you are throwing 96mph and improving every outings on the mound?  Kid is unbelievable talented, but what benefits the team the most, and protects his future ?  Now saying that, he will start at 3rd,  lol

I cannot wait to see the numbers Koch puts up this year.  Just tired of talking baseball, ready to watch and live it,   Wish I could be at fall WS this wknd,