Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

VB vs #3 Florida

Started by psycHOGlogist, September 25, 2017, 09:45:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

Yesterday, the VB team played UF at Barnhill. Florida was coming in undefeated, and they had beaten some of the best programs in the country already this year -- and beaten them pretty easily. That includes the #1 (at the time) Texas Longhorns and the #5 (again, then) Nebraska Cornhuskers. They needed 5 games to beat Nebraska, but had beaten Texas 3-1 and clobbered Florida State 3-0. They are really good.

I was expecting a fairly lopsided match, tbh. I figured if we could score 20 points against them in all 3 sets of the inevitable sweep that was coming, that would be a very solid overall performance.

Lesson learned: Don't sell this Razorback VB team short.

They came within a point of winning the match, losing 3-2, with a final set of 15-13. This was a very impressive performance, buoyed by a home crowd and a very relentless attitude.

I am really upbeat about this team -- don't get me wrong, though. They will still lose some games they are not "supposed to" lose this year. But they have shown, in this match and others, that they are good, improving, and capable of putting very strong performances out there.

Next up - our first conference road trip comes on Wednesday to Tuscaloosa. WPS!

psycHOGlogist

And fwiw, Florida will likely move to being #1 in the polls this week, as both Minnesota and Penn State above them lost (both were swept at home, surprisingly, and PSU was swept by Nebraska).

Kevin

I am not a morale victory guys, but first year of a program, 9 freshmen, this was a great showing. 
they are beginning to get a new fan
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Kevin on September 25, 2017, 11:22:30 am
I am not a morale victory guys, but first year of a program, 9 freshmen, this was a great showing. 
they are beginning to get a new fan

Second year, but ... who's counting? ;-)

But I agree - this was a performance the team should learn from and, if you can feel good about a loss, this is one where that'd be appropriate.

azhog10

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on September 25, 2017, 06:26:04 pm
Second year, but ... who's counting? ;-)

But I agree - this was a performance the team should learn from and, if you can feel good about a loss, this is one where that'd be appropriate.
Well Kevin's first year.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22