Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ty Clary

Started by Nosboar Accubond, January 21, 2017, 04:58:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosboar Accubond

BILLYBOB

From 24/7 -  "3-star offensive guard Ty Clary has committed to be a preferred walk-on at Arkansas. He becomes the fourth public commitment for the Razorbacks in the Class of 2017."
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

BILLYBOB

He turned down offers from: Kansas, Air Force, Dartmouth, Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Central Arkansas, Missouri State and Coastal Carolina.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

BILLYBOB

The fact that he turned down a Dartmouth scholarship, worth around $250,000, in order to walk-on at Arkansas, says a lot about this young man's loyalty to Arkansas...AND the direction and leadership of our program. This is obviously a very high quality person, who had other very attractive options, who choose to commit to the Razorbacks.

I know the Arkansas football program has it issues, but I like the long term direction in which we're headed.

Music City Hog

Quote from: BILLYBOB on January 21, 2017, 05:56:21 am
The fact that he turned down a Dartmouth scholarship, worth around $250,000, in order to walk-on at Arkansas, says a lot about this young man's loyalty to Arkansas...AND the direction and leadership of our program. This is obviously a very high quality person, who had other very attractive options, who choose to commit to the Razorbacks.

I know the Arkansas football program has it issues, but I like the long term direction in which we're headed.

Dartmouth, or any Ivy League school,  doesn't offer football scholarships.  He may get a little financial aid but he did not turn down $250,000.

BILLYBOB

Quote from: Music City Hog on January 21, 2017, 06:32:49 am
Dartmouth, or any Ivy League school,  doesn't offer football scholarships.  He may get a little financial aid but he did not turn down $250,000.

I stand corrected. Thank you. None-the-less, my point stands. Clary is an extremely impressive young man, who had multiple other attractive options, and he choose to walk on at Arkansas. That, to me, says something.

Hawg Life

They offer baseball scholarships.

Nosboar Accubond

Thanks for the info. Seems like a solid player who is loyal and dreamed of being a Hog. Congratulations to the young man!

WooPig90

Hearing he could count against the 2018 class.

Dominicanhog

they can get more than a little.. it is based on need, the athletes in theory. but the teams need in reality.. Ivy schools have foundations that support athletics just as we do... they pay for players, just in a different format...

I have a nephew that was Ivy league in track.. I was told by his parents they paid less than $4000 dollars per year for all 4 years..

I'd call that close to $250,000... and worth much more after college...

hawgfan4life

An academy appointment was valued at close to $400K about five years ago.  If he turned down Air Force, he turned down being set for life if he had gone and fulfilled the academy and enlistment requirements.  The fact he was offered by an academy is impressive.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 21, 2017, 01:41:14 pm
An academy appointment was valued at close to $400K about five years ago.  If he turned down Air Force, he turned down being set for life if he had gone and fulfilled the academy and enlistment requirements.  The fact he was offered by an academy is impressive.

Yes it is.. my friend's son is going to the Naval Academy for golf next year.. he had to do prep this year at the Hill School .. the parents are paying $12,000  towards the cost of $56,000.. not sure what they are paying at the Academy but he turned down PSU to accept the extra year and chance to go to the Academy..

nationwish

You don't pay anything to go to a service academy. They pay you.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: nationwish on January 21, 2017, 02:42:37 pm
You don't pay anything to go to a service academy. They pay you.

Actually, cadets do pay an initial fee when they report their first year.  It isn't much but is required.  After that, they pay cadets a monthly stipend.  That is one reason it is valued so high.  4 years of stipends adds up.

tophawg19

Add Audry Horn and we have two 3 star walk on O-linemen  , Horn will add to the guard rotation . glad to have these kids coming in . both will be guards , Ty pulls well and both are physical .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

sowmonella

Congrats Ty. We are proud to have you. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

oldfart

Nosboar Accubond

LA Football fan

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 21, 2017, 03:30:43 pm
Actually, cadets do pay an initial fee when they report their first year.  It isn't much but is required.  After that, they pay cadets a monthly stipend.  That is one reason it is valued so high.  4 years of stipends adds up.

The cadets have "pay" taken out to pay for uniforms and books.  They "still" have money left over every month.   So basically it is paid for and uniforms and books will not come close to what the total cost is when you throw in room and board.   The last I checked they get half a 2nd Lt's basic pay while they are attending the service academy, at least that is how it worked when I attended West Point.   Basically the military is "paying" you to attend college whether you are an athlete or not.  You enlist in the military the very first day you attend.  You just are allowed to go to college for academic and military training the first 4 years.

SamBuckhart

Proud to have you join the HOGS, Mr. Clary. Wooo Pig!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: LA Football fan on January 21, 2017, 04:31:42 pm
The cadets have "pay" taken out to pay for uniforms and books.  They "still" have money left over every month.   So basically it is paid for and uniforms and books will not come close to what the total cost is when you throw in room and board.   The last I checked they get half a 2nd Lt's basic pay while they are attending the service academy, at least that is how it worked when I attended West Point.   Basically the military is "paying" you to attend college whether you are an athlete or not.  You enlist in the military the very first day you attend.  You just are allowed to go to college for academic and military training the first 4 years.

and then, as in the case I mentioned above, teach officers how to play golf..  ;)

LJHOG

Quote from: BILLYBOB on January 21, 2017, 05:56:21 am

That's great.  Can he block an SEC DT??

PigTimePlayer

Quote from: oldfart on January 21, 2017, 04:13:32 pm
measureables?

Saw two sites had him at  6'4" 275.....congrats Ty, WPS!
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

oldfart

Quote from: PigTimePlayer on January 21, 2017, 08:42:09 pm
Saw two sites had him at  6'4" 275.....congrats Ty, WPS!

thanks... sounds like a good prospect!!