Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UA just cites 'convenience' in Long firing

Started by MrKnowItAll, November 18, 2017, 06:55:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MrKnowItAll

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2017/nov/18/ua-just-cites-convenience-in-long-firin/

Working with Gearhart was a part of why he saw himself in Arkansas "for a long time," Long said in the same email.

Later that year, in October, Long told Gearhart that he was "still troubled by the knowledge that there are Board of Trustee Members who not only do not value my leadership over the last 5 years but feel I deserve to be fired."

He spoke of his "disappointment that the original change in contract terms" was tabled, questioned several times whether he was right not to talk to other institutions -- mentioning Clemson University -- and reiterated his commitment to UA.

dfwalumdad

reading that it seems some very powerful people never got over the petrino firing and he's been on thin ice ever since and bert losing the way he has at the end of the day got him fired.

pghawg1

PORKULATOR

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 18, 2017, 08:23:38 am
reading that it seems some very powerful people never got over the petrino firing and he's been on thin ice ever since and bert losing the way he has at the end of the day got him fired.
Burn in some named firey pit. 😡
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

HawgPilot

in JL's lengthy email to Grearhart, he showed his arrogance by stating "other institutions" interest in him multiple times.    Additionally it appeared to me as if he was trying to "play off" his desire to address the increased compensation, that apparently had been tabled before. He was just leveraging for a raise and ultimately, he got it.  Glad he is gone.

idochog

He obviously pissed off some big people with his attitude. Follow that up with a crappy football team & the lack of confidence you give people that you aren't committed to putting a winner out there spells disaster.

Fact is the hogs are a football state.
I love Jesus!

dfwalumdad

in October (2012), Long told Gearhart that he was "still troubled by the knowledge that there are Board of Trustee Members who not only do not value my leadership over the last 5 years but feel I deserve to be fired."

He spoke of his "disappointment that the original change in contract terms" was tabled, questioned several times whether he was right not to talk to other institutions -- mentioning Clemson University -- and reiterated his commitment to UA.

"Dave, I hope that this letter is not interpreted as leveraging you or the Board for more money," he wrote. "While it is true that a number of institutions have expressed interest in me, it remains my desire to stay at the University of Arkansas. However, the recent call for a vote of no confidence by at least one Board of Trustee member caused me to think about my life and career in a way I had not previously done."

that was smack dab in the middle of the john l smith season.

and it's pretty obvious that some of the board were very upset over the petrino firing.

jkstock04

Quote from: MrKnowItAll on November 18, 2017, 06:55:50 am
http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2017/nov/18/ua-just-cites-convenience-in-long-firin/

Working with Gearhart was a part of why he saw himself in Arkansas "for a long time," Long said in the same email.

Later that year, in October, Long told Gearhart that he was "still troubled by the knowledge that there are Board of Trustee Members who not only do not value my leadership over the last 5 years but feel I deserve to be fired."

I would be interested to see what Ricepig has to say about all this. According to him the past year plus the BOTs were all very happy with our AD. Evidently not.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 18, 2017, 10:00:01 am
I would be interested to see what Ricepig has to say about all this. According to him the past year plus the BOTs were all very happy with our AD. Evidently not.

Glad you are so interested in my opinion, I can only tell you what the trustees told me. The one not happy in 2012 soon left the board, as to the last year, obviously those unhappy waited until they had their ducks in a row.

wachhog

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 18, 2017, 09:47:38 am
in October (2012), Long told Gearhart that he was "still troubled by the knowledge that there are Board of Trustee Members who not only do not value my leadership over the last 5 years but feel I deserve to be fired."

"Dave, I hope that this letter is not interpreted as leveraging you or the Board for more money," he wrote. "While it is true that a number of institutions have expressed interest in me, it remains my desire to stay at the University of Arkansas. However, the recent call for a vote of no confidence by at least one Board of Trustee member caused me to think about my life and career in a way I had not previously done."

that was smack dab in the middle of the john l smith season.

and it's pretty obvious that some of the board were very upset over the petrino firing.
Good. Gives me confidence in at least one board member. What an arrogant a$$ Long is/was.

ricepig

Quote from: wachhog on November 18, 2017, 10:17:45 am
Good. Gives me confidence in at least one board member. What an arrogant a$$ Long is/was.

You do realize that there are 6 new board members since 2012?

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

jkstock04

Quote from: ricepig on November 18, 2017, 10:16:03 am
Glad you are so interested in my opinion, I can only tell you what the trustees told me. The one not happy in 2012 soon left the board, as to the last year, obviously those unhappy waited until they had their ducks in a row.
Of course I'm interested. You openly talk of having some inside info there.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 18, 2017, 10:25:47 am
Of course I'm interested. You openly talk of having some inside info there.

And that's what I've posted. I know two people on the board, maybe they're the ones that voted for him.....

GuvHog

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 18, 2017, 08:23:38 am

I stated right after Long fired Petrino that doing so would come back to bite him in the Butt down the road and it obviously did.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PorkRinds

If these guys were so butt hurt about the petrino firing that they waited this long to get back at Long for it, they should have their sorry asses thrown off the board.

moses_007

Wonder what convenience means? 

I noticed one email stated he had to complete the stadium renovation on budget, and he failed miserably on that.  I think that's what led to his firing.  You don't make a $60-80 million mistake and keep your job.

ricepig

Quote from: moses_007 on November 18, 2017, 10:40:19 am
Wonder what convenience means? 

I noticed one email stated he had to complete the stadium renovation on budget, and he failed miserably on that.  I think that's what led to his firing.  You don't make a $60-80 million mistake and keep your job.

What in the world are you talking about? The NEZ was proposed to the board as costing $160m, the GMP from the general contractor was $132m. Are you Mike Irwin's source???

Usually projects like this one end up costing more, way more, because the project owner starts making changes like wildfire after the contract is let.  You cannot hold a contractor to his quote if its you changing the circumstances.  I have no idea if this happened but it nearly always does.  The only way I could see Jeff Long as being responsible if this did happen is if it is clear that his original wish list feel far short of what is necessary and it is clear he fumbled the ball on the project.  And for the weak minded, I didn't say he did, I said IF he did.

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on November 18, 2017, 11:07:26 am
Usually projects like this one end up costing more, way more, because the project owner starts making changes like wildfire after the contract is let.  You cannot hold a contractor to his quote if its you changing the circumstances.  I have no idea if this happened but it nearly always does.  The only way I could see Jeff Long as being responsible if this did happen is if it is clear that his original wish list feel far short of what is necessary and it is clear he fumbled the ball on the project.  And for the weak minded, I didn't say he did, I said IF he did.
The project -- set to finish by the fall 2018 football season -- is on time and on budget, and the guaranteed maximum price for construction "remains at $132 million" of an overall budget of $160 million, Steinmetz wrote in an email to Bobbitt and the trustees in October. Seating commitments are either completed or on pace to meet sales projections, he wrote.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/nov/16/ua-dismisses-athletic-director-20171116/

thebignasty

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 18, 2017, 10:39:59 am
If these guys were so butt hurt about the petrino firing that they waited this long to get back at Long for it, they should have their sorry asses thrown off the board.

Seems like it was at least a part of it for some of the Long opposition.  Crazy

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: ricepig on November 18, 2017, 10:19:01 am
You do realize that there are 6 new board members since 2012?

Obviously he did nothing to instill confidence in them would you say?

ricepig

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on November 18, 2017, 12:59:41 pm
Obviously he did nothing to instill confidence in them would you say?

Obviously not

Con el Cerdos

This tell us why Long pushed so hard for graduation rates and good citizenship and just gave up on trying to improve the football program:

At the end of his tenure, Long earned $750,000 from the university, $250,000 from the foundation and was eligible for up to $1.1 million in one-time bonuses if he met certain benchmarks, such as maintaining good citizenship or maintaining or increasing the graduation success rate of student athletes.