Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chargers add punter Toby Baker after tryout

Started by RazorRed26, May 19, 2017, 06:20:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

31to6

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on May 19, 2017, 02:43:50 pm
Good for him! Wish the best for him.
How would you like to be the tackle that got waived for a 2nd kicker?

That's gotta sting... :P

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: 31to6 on May 19, 2017, 04:46:45 pm
How would you like to be the tackle that got waived for a 2nd kicker?

That's gotta sting... :P

That was Mason Zandi, a 6'9", 315 OT from South Carolina.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

LZH

Their current punter averaged over 46 yards last year, and that wasn't enough to prevent bringing in someone else? Damn, tough gig.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: LZH on May 21, 2017, 06:26:45 am
Their current punter averaged over 46 yards last year, and that wasn't enough to prevent bringing in someone else? Damn, tough gig.
May be a money thing.  A lot of teams have the philosophy that once a kicker has been on their squad for 3 or 4 years (or whatever it takes for them to get to the point where they can test the free agency market), they can just find another rookie/free agent and plug him in.  They save their $$ for other positions.

I'm not saying that's necessarily the thing to do, as kicking problems can make a team miserable.  But that's the way many approach it.

LZH

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on May 21, 2017, 06:09:54 pm
May be a money thing.  A lot of teams have the philosophy that once a kicker has been on their squad for 3 or 4 years (or whatever it takes for them to get to the point where they can test the free agency market), they can just find another rookie/free agent and plug him in.  They save their $$ for other positions.

I'm not saying that's necessarily the thing to do, as kicking problems can make a team miserable.  But that's the way many approach it.

I thought of that but figured it wasn't the case 'cause I wouldn't think punters made that much...guess maybe they do. A 46 yard average is awfully damn good.

bennyl08

Quote from: LZH on May 21, 2017, 06:26:45 am

There are rookie mini-camps and such that veterans don't usually go to. So, it is quite common for teams to bring in a young kicker or a FA to be a camp leg. Beyond that, the NFL is a competitive league. You really don't want anybody on the team to not have to compete.

Their current punter is only 24 years old and has 1 year of stats.

While he averaged 46.3 yards per punt, his net was only 39.8. On 59 punts, 5 were touchbacks, only 10 were FC or downed and only 18 of his punts put the opposing team inside their own 20. 33 of his 59 punts were returned which is a lot and looks to be third worst in the NFL as a % of total punts. Only 9 teams had a punt returned for a td and the chargers were one of those despite fewer punts than anybody else who allowed one. Titans allowed 2 making them the only team to have a worse punt to PR td ratio.

Baker only averaged 44.4 ypp which would rank 23rd. However, he had 24 fair catches, only 3 tb's, 22 inside the 20, and 21 50+. He only allowed 18 PR's for 101 yards and 0 td's which decreases his net down to 42.6 ypp.

Suffice it to say, Chargers are not set on the current punter and if Baker's punts translate to the NFL, then he has a real shot at winning that battle.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

LZH

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 21, 2017, 07:37:40 pm
There are rookie mini-camps and such that veterans don't usually go to. So, it is quite common for teams to bring in a young kicker or a FA to be a camp leg. Beyond that, the NFL is a competitive league. You really don't want anybody on the team to not have to compete.

Their current punter is only 24 years old and has 1 year of stats.

While he averaged 46.3 yards per punt, his net was only 39.8. On 59 punts, 5 were touchbacks, only 10 were FC or downed and only 18 of his punts put the opposing team inside their own 20. 33 of his 59 punts were returned which is a lot and looks to be third worst in the NFL as a % of total punts. Only 9 teams had a punt returned for a td and the chargers were one of those despite fewer punts than anybody else who allowed one. Titans allowed 2 making them the only team to have a worse punt to PR td ratio.

Baker only averaged 44.4 ypp which would rank 23rd. However, he had 24 fair catches, only 3 tb's, 22 inside the 20, and 21 50+. He only allowed 18 PR's for 101 yards and 0 td's which decreases his net down to 42.6 ypp.

Suffice it to say, Chargers are not set on the current punter and if Baker's punts translate to the NFL, then he has a real shot at winning that battle.

Ah. Good info cuz.

bennyl08

Quote from: LZH on May 21, 2017, 07:22:31 pm
I thought of that but figured it wasn't the case 'cause I wouldn't think punters made that much...guess maybe they do. A 46 yard average is awfully damn good.

It ranks for tied for 9th in the NFL. Oaklands new punter averaged 48.8 ypp however his net was only 41.1. Ram's punter averaged 47.8 ypp and his net punting average was a clean 46.0. All but 4 teams average over 43 yards per punt (before net)
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

LZH

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 21, 2017, 07:41:10 pm
It ranks for tied for 9th in the NFL. Oaklands new punter averaged 48.8 ypp however his net was only 41.1. Ram's punter averaged 47.8 ypp and his net punting average was a clean 46.0. All but 4 teams average over 43 yards per punt (before net)

Shows how much I keep up with pro football these days. Used to be anything over a 43 yard average was excellent.

bennyl08

Quote from: LZH on May 21, 2017, 07:47:47 pm
Shows how much I keep up with pro football these days. Used to be anything over a 43 yard average was excellent.

In college, only the top 28 punters averaged over 43 ypp. Only the top 17 averaged 44 or higher. Baker's average was 13th.

PonderinHog

twistitup

Its San Diego, his name is Baker...if nothing else they signed him for a bump in jersey sales

Thought you knew...
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

LZH

Quote from: twistitup on May 22, 2017, 06:04:09 am
Its San Diego, his name is Baker...if nothing else they signed him for a bump in jersey sales

Thought you knew...

It took me a minute, but I got it.....

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on May 22, 2017, 06:48:05 am
It took me a minute, but I got it.....
Except they're moving to LA.  (And I don't get it.)

sickboy

Quote from: Surfing8 on May 22, 2017, 10:18:47 am
LA can have 'em. 
Worst ownership in the league, and that's saying a lot.

The son is definitely not the father, who wasn't exactly a revered figure around here either.

Spanos is the worst. And that's coming from a Rams fan.

twistitup

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 22, 2017, 09:59:09 am
Except they're moving to LA.  (And I don't get it.)

Nobody getting baked in LA?

C'mon man...
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.