Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Biscuits

Started by jrulz83, February 04, 2016, 08:38:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jrulz83

I recently asked a few friends about how or if they made biscuits, I was shocked to discover that nobody I asked did. "I buy frozen" or "I buy canned" was a common refrain; I was appalled. There is nothing better than a scratch made biscuit, well worth the minimal effort that they require. This recipe will make more or less 12 biscuits depending upon how big you cut them and will kick the can right out of the refrigerator:

Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt (I prefer kosher, but table works just fine)
1 stick of unsalted butter (If you have salted butter just cut back a bit on the salt you add above)
1 cup buttermilk (Sometimes it takes a bit more sometimes a bit less)

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees

Cut your butter into 1/2" chunks and put it in the freezer. Combine your dry ingredients (flour salt soda and powder) in a bowl. Cut your very cold butter into the dry ingredients, use a fork, two knives, or a pastry blender. Add the buttermilk and mix until barely combined, you want it to be sloppy, if it looks dry add a bit more buttermilk, you'd rather it be too wet than too dry. Turn your dough onto a floured surface and carefully pat it out to 1/2" thick. Fold the dough on to itself no more than 5 times, pat it out to about an inch thick, and cut rounds out in the size of your choosing. Put them in a well seasoned cast iron skillet or a baking sheet treated with some sort non stick substance, if you want crunchy sides leave space between each biscuit if not, make the sides touch.

I hesitate to give cooking times because every oven is different. I usually let them go for 12 minutes at 450 and then turn the broiler on them for an additional 3-4 minutes because I like a crunchy top. Your mileage may vary, just keep an eye on them; it would be such a shame to turn pillow soft dough into carbon by lack of attentiveness.

Serve with butter, jam, syrup, whatever you like on biscuits.

A couple tips: Handle your dough as little as possible and don't let a rolling pin near it, you'll overwork it and wind up with tough biscuits. Keep your ingredients as cold as possible. Some people will recommend using a food processor to mix everything, and that's fine, I just like the bigger chunks of butter that comes with cutting it in by hand.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

PorkRinds

I use half and half butter and crisco. Otherwise identical.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2016, 08:54:22 pm

Gotta use lard, man.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

jrulz83

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2016, 08:54:22 pm

I've done them that way before myself.

PorkRinds

Boarcephus

The company I was with several years ago did several food shows and the hit of ours were biscuits and gravy and I was the biscuit maker. The only advantages frozen biscuits have over homemade is they'er quicker and you don't make a mess making them but when you have the time and the room, homemade is tough to beat.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Homemade is tough to beat but with our busy life we buy Grands or HEB Biscuits in the can.  As the Late Jerry Clower said it sounds like a young war on our street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcpducwW8w4
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 05, 2016, 09:16:15 am
Homemade is tough to beat but with our busy life we buy Grands or HEB Biscuits in the can.  As the Late Jerry Clower said it sounds like a young war on our street.

The frozen are a better option than canned, without a doubt.  But home made is not that hard, and it's way better.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2016, 10:47:46 am
The frozen are a better option than canned, without a doubt.  But home made is not that hard, and it's way better.

My wife would tell you come over and make them then.  I agree with you but I like peace and quiet at home.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

jrulz83

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 05, 2016, 09:16:15 am

My recipe takes about 30 minutes with cook time included, there's nothing to it. If you have a bench scraper cleanup takes about two minutes. I race the preheating oven getting the dough ready and usually win.

PorkRinds

My mom and grandma can both make biscuits without a recipe.  I don't use a recipe on paper any more, because I have it memorized, but I still have to measure.  Mom and granny both just eyeball it.  One day I will master this skill...

jrulz83

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2016, 12:14:38 pm
My mom and grandma can both make biscuits without a recipe.  I don't use a recipe on paper any more, because I have it memorized, but I still have to measure.  Mom and granny both just eyeball it.  One day I will master this skill...

I own my great-great grandmother's dough bowl, I've been tempted to dump stuff in there and make it happen like my ancestors used to.

PorkRinds

Quote from: jrulz83 on February 05, 2016, 12:22:27 pm
I own my great-great grandmother's dough bowl, I've been tempted to dump stuff in there and make it happen like my ancestors used to.

I think I could probably eyeball it at this point, but in the back of my mind I'd still be using the recipe and thinking about how close to 2 cups of flower I got in and what not.  IT's not difficult measuring it all out, and I tend to screw things up if I bake without a recipe. Everything else I rarely use a recipe. But one day I'll do it....

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2016, 12:29:16 pm
I think I could probably eyeball it at this point, but in the back of my mind I'd still be using the recipe and thinking about how close to 2 cups of flower I got in and what not.  IT's not difficult measuring it all out, and I tend to screw things up if I bake without a recipe. Everything else I rarely use a recipe. But one day I'll do it....

My 86 year old Grandma never uses a recipe, she just grab dump and go.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: jrulz83 on February 04, 2016, 08:38:53 pm
I recently asked a few friends about how or if they made biscuits, I was shocked to discover that nobody I asked did. "I buy frozen" or "I buy canned" was a common refrain; I was appalled. There is nothing better than a scratch made biscuit, well worth the minimal effort that they require. This recipe will make more or less 12 biscuits depending upon how big you cut them and will kick the can right out of the refrigerator:

Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt (I prefer kosher, but table works just fine)
1 stick of unsalted butter (If you have salted butter just cut back a bit on the salt you add above)
1 cup buttermilk (Sometimes it takes a bit more sometimes a bit less)

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees

Cut your butter into 1/2" chunks and put it in the freezer. Combine your dry ingredients (flour salt soda and powder) in a bowl. Cut your very cold butter into the dry ingredients, use a fork, two knives, or a pastry blender. Add the buttermilk and mix until barely combined, you want it to be sloppy, if it looks dry add a bit more buttermilk, you'd rather it be too wet than too dry. Turn your dough onto a floured surface and carefully pat it out to 1/2" thick. Fold the dough on to itself no more than 5 times, pat it out to about an inch thick, and cut rounds out in the size of your choosing. Put them in a well seasoned cast iron skillet or a baking sheet treated with some sort non stick substance, if you want crunchy sides leave space between each biscuit if not, make the sides touch.

I hesitate to give cooking times because every oven is different. I usually let them go for 12 minutes at 450 and then turn the broiler on them for an additional 3-4 minutes because I like a crunchy top. Your mileage may vary, just keep an eye on them; it would be such a shame to turn pillow soft dough into carbon by lack of attentiveness.

Serve with butter, jam, syrup, whatever you like on biscuits.

A couple tips: Handle your dough as little as possible and don't let a rolling pin near it, you'll overwork it and wind up with tough biscuits. Keep your ingredients as cold as possible. Some people will recommend using a food processor to mix everything, and that's fine, I just like the bigger chunks of butter that comes with cutting it in by hand.
I freeze the entire stick of butter and grate it into the flour using the large holes of a cheese grater.  Really integrates nicely into the flour.

jrulz83

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 08, 2016, 09:41:49 am
I freeze the entire stick of butter and grate it into the flour using the large holes of a cheese grater.  Really integrates nicely into the flour.

That's a great idea, I knew a lady that did the same thing.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: jrulz83 on February 08, 2016, 11:00:01 am

My other Grandmother did that.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: jrulz83 on February 08, 2016, 11:00:01 am
My wife uses this method. Says she won't go back to the pastry cutter. And I am always most grateful!
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

LSUFan

Cat Head biscuits and fig preserves.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

pigture perfect

This is probably the most important thread on Hogville in awhile. Thanks for the recipe. I spent a month or so in Africa last summer and I tried to describe biscuits to them. They call cookies biscuits, and then they accused me of talking about scones. I'm going to make them biscuits when I go back, so thanks for this post.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

LSUFan

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 12, 2016, 03:05:34 pm
This is probably the most important thread on Hogville in awhile. Thanks for the recipe. I spent a month or so in Africa last summer and I tried to describe biscuits to them. They call cookies biscuits, and then they accused me of talking about scones. I'm going to make them biscuits when I go back, so thanks for this post.
Bring some muscadine jelly with you  :D

PorkRinds

Biscuits and scones are pretty much the same. Scones are more likely to have fruit and sugar mixed in, or other ingredients for savory scones.

LSUFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 12, 2016, 03:12:08 pm
Biscuits and scones are pretty much the same. Scones are more likely to have fruit and sugar mixed in, or other ingredients for savory scones.
Thank you Debbie Etiquette  8)

pigture perfect

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 12, 2016, 03:12:08 pm
they are similar, but sausage gravy doesn't taste good on scones.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

PorkRinds

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 12, 2016, 03:16:38 pm
they are similar, but sausage gravy doesn't taste good on scones.

Shoot. Get me a cheddar garlic and herb scone and throw some sausage gravy on that sucker. I'll take it to pound town.  One time I ordered biscuits and gravy at a diner in upper Michigan and they brought me biscuits and a bowl of brown gravy. They'd honestly never heard of biscuits and sausage gravy.

LSUFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 12, 2016, 03:23:56 pm
Shoot. Get me a cheddar garlic and herb scone and throw some sausage gravy on that sucker. I'll take it to pound town.  One time I ordered biscuits and gravy at a diner in upper Michigan and they brought me biscuits and a bowl of brown gravy. They'd honestly never heard of biscuits and sausage gravy.
Just another fine example of why I love living in the south.

I bet if you would have asked for some chocolate gravy they'd be like a cow staring at a new gate.

LSUFan

Speakin' of which, anybody got a good chocolate gravy recipe?

pigture perfect

My wife is the chocolate  gravy queen. We have introduced it all over the upper mid-west. Those yanks are all planning to move south now.

jrulz83

Quote from: LSUFan on February 12, 2016, 02:52:35 pm
Cat Head biscuits and fig preserves.

For the first time ever I made some fig preserves last summer. I think the kitchen is still sticky..... Anyway, I didn't have many figs due to my fig tree being on the small side (it's a glorified shrub at this point), so I quartered this recipe and wound up with one whole jar of fig preserves:

16 cups of figs
1 Tablespoon of baking soda
12 cups of boiling water
8 cups of sugar
4 cups of water
1 lemon sliced

In a large mixing bowl place figs and sprinkle with baking soda. Pour the boiling water over the figs and soak for 1 hour.

Drain figs and rinse thoroughly with cold water. In a large Dutch oven combine the sugar and the 4 cups of water; bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.

Add the figs and lemon slices to the syrup in the Dutch oven and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Spoon figs into hot, sterilized jars and spoon syrup over figs, leaving 1/2 inch of head space. Top jars with lids and screw bands on tightly. Process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath.

People that claimed to be fig preserve aficionados told me they were outstanding. I found them sickeningly sweet as I do all fig preserves. But it was my first attempt at what I have since dubbed my "Grand Canning Experiment." I think I got this recipe from Allrecipes or somesuch.

jrulz83

Good deal man, hope it helps.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LSUFan on February 12, 2016, 03:32:09 pm
Speakin' of which, anybody got a good chocolate gravy recipe?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/187298/southern-style-chocolate-gravy/

This one like my aunts except she used Brown Sugar.

jrulz83

Made some I deemed picture worthy, see if you can spot the ones made with left over dough  ;D :

LSUFan

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 15, 2016, 09:04:01 am
Made some I deemed picture worthy, see if you can spot the ones made with left over dough  ;D :
I hope you got the farts  >:(

jrulz83

Quote from: LSUFan on April 15, 2016, 05:27:40 pm
I hope you got the farts  >:(

Must have been the fig preserves.  :)

DeltaBoy

Love good biscuits.

ShooShooBlue

Grands Flaky Buttermilk...lol
twatever!!!😂

go hogues

My grandma spoons a bit of sausage grease on top of each one just before baking. Yum yum
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DeltaBoy

Quote from: go hogues on November 03, 2016, 09:51:45 pm
My grandma spoons a bit of sausage grease on top of each one just before baking. Yum yum

Yes you always dab the tops with bacon grease.