Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GAME 4 THREAD: #2 Arkansas (3-0, 0-0 SEC) vs #26 Arizona (3-0, 0-0 Pac 12)

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, February 19, 2018, 06:46:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

#2 ARKANSAS vs #26 Arizona
at San Diego, California   Wednesday 9:00 PM

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

WELCOME TO RAZORBACK BASEBALL 2018 - HOGVILLE.net OFFICIAL GAME 4 THREAD
   #2 ARKANSAS ( 3-0, 0-0 SEC) vs ARIZONA ( 3-0 , 0-0 PAC 12)

This is game 1 of a 4 game road trip to San Diego, Cal. beginning with the ARIZONA WILDCATS On Wednesday at 9:00pm as the Razorbacks prepare for the Tony Gwynn Classic, also in San Diego, which begins on Friday with Cal Poly at 3:00pm. The Razorbacks will face San Diego State on Saturday at 8:00pm and San Diego on Sunday at Noon to wrap up the 3 game classic.

WEDNESDAY's First Pitch is set for 9:00pm central time and WILL BE TELEVISED on Cox Sports.

Play-by-Play Narrative:
For many years, Hogville members who love Razorback Baseball have come together to produce these game threads with play-by-play narrative for those that depend on it as their only source and for those that just simply enjoy it. These threads have been a foundation for great Hogville discussions and that tradition continues today as this is NOT a read only thread (all Hogville posting rules apply).

JHicks3636 will provide the play-by-play narrative for this game.  Razorbacks#1, A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, , Wisco Pig, sir-pigs-a-lot, JHGiunta, ucahogfan, HogFansReunited, Arkansas Traveler and Maddhog will assist with stats, back up, and support. We hope that the many other regular posters will join in also and continue to add quality input. If you are new to the Extra Innings - Razorback Baseball Game Threads and you understand the rules, feel free to join in the conversations. If you have questions, read this:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=626632.0

Click below for: The Fight Song:
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__Arkansas_Fight_Song__(Play,_Sing,_Play).mp3

Click below for: University Of Arkansas Alma Mater 
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__University_Of_Arkansas_Alma_Mater.mp3

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Thanks to "sevenof400" for the link.
                                                                          NATIONAL ANTHEM

TIME TO CALL THE HOGS!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

0               9:00 p.m.                   0

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | - |  R  |  H  | E  |LOB
Arizona             |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   
Arkansas          |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   

bulldog04

howie76

ucahogfan

Quote from: bulldog04 on February 19, 2018, 07:25:35 pm
Does Murphy get the start?
I would assume so since he did not throw last weekend.  Excited to see what he does this year.

JHicks3636

Quote from: bulldog04 on February 19, 2018, 07:25:35 pm
Does Murphy get the start?

In his presser after the last Bucknell game, DVH said Murphy would pitch as long as he felt okay. He said he has been experiencing some back stiffness from an injury in the Fall. Also DVH said he batted everyone that he intends to have play in the field this year(17 players). I don't know how potential injuries play into that. He also said every pitcher threw that he intends to use. If anyone did not play that you like, he may be getting red-shirted or moving on. I liked when he said we have as much or more talent than Arizona. He said downside to the game is the travel. Also that Arizona's advantage was they get to play outside all year.
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/dvh-defense-will-win-you-games/

swineology

SPAL

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: JHicks3636 on February 19, 2018, 08:09:54 pm
In his presser after the last Bucknell game, DVH said Murphy would pitch as long as he felt okay. He said he has been experiencing some back stiffness from an injury in the Fall. Also DVH said he batted everyone that he intends to have play in the field this year(17 players). I don't know how potential injuries play into that. He also said every pitcher threw that he intends to use. If anyone did not play that you like, he may be getting red-shirted or moving on. I liked when he said we have as much or more talent than Arizona. He said downside to the game is the travel. Also that Arizona's advantage was they get to play outside all year.

These are the 5 players that did not play in the field in the 1st series:
Jacob Nesbit            INF             R/R    Fr      6-0    175     Coppell, Texas/Coppell HS 
Brady Disher         C/INF          L/R      Fr       6-1   190      Trophy Club, Texas/Byron Nelson HS   
Ben McClain          OF              L/L      Fr        5-10 185      Lee's Summit, Mo./Lee's Summit West HS
Ryan Drake          INF             R/R      Fr        6-4  190      Grapevine, Texas/Grapevine HS
Derek Ripp           INF            L/R        Fr       6-6  230       Olathe, Kan. / St. James Academy HS

These are the 3 pitchers that did not pitch, but are on the roster.
Angus Denton      RHP            R/R      So        5-1  160       Beebe, Ark./Beebe HS
Weston Rogers     LHP            L/L        Jr        6-4  215       Springdale, Ark./Har-Ber HS
Kevin Kopps        RHP            R/R        R-So   6-0  195       Sugar Land, Texas/George Ranch HS

The numbers fit. If you take these 5 fielders plus the 17 that played and add the pitchers, we have our 35 man roster.
Roster adjusted from 40 man to 35 man here:   http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=656455.0

ucahogfan

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on February 19, 2018, 09:47:51 pm
Jacob Nesbit            INF             R/R    Fr      6-0    175     Coppell, Texas/Coppell HS 
Brady Disher         C/INF          L/R      Fr       6-1   190      Trophy Club, Texas/Byron Nelson HS   
Ben McClain          OF              L/L      Fr        5-10 185      Lee's Summit, Mo./Lee's Summit West HS
Ryan Drake          INF             R/R      Fr        6-4  190      Grapevine, Texas/Grapevine HS
Derek Ripp           INF            L/R        Fr       6-6  230       Olathe, Kan. / St. James Academy HS

Angus Denton      RHP            R/R      So        5-1  160       Beebe, Ark./Beebe HS
Weston Rogers     LHP            L/L        Jr        6-4  215       Springdale, Ark./Har-Ber HS
Kevin Kopps        RHP            R/R        R-So   6-0  195       Sugar Land, Texas/George Ranch HS

The numbers fit. If you take these 5 fielders plus the 17 that played and add the pitchers, we have our 35 man roster.
Roster adjusted from 40 man to 35 man here:   http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=656455.0
If I remember correctly, but Kopps had TJ so we will not see him pitch this year.  There is a chance he is drafted in June based on his performance last year.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ucahogfan on February 19, 2018, 10:10:49 pm
If I remember correctly, but Kopps had TJ so we will not see him pitch this year.  There is a chance he is drafted in June based on his performance last year.
uca, you predicted almost perfectly in the Roster thread. Hitting 4 of 5, I believe.

ucahogfan

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on February 19, 2018, 10:15:04 pm
uca, you predicted almost perfectly in the Roster thread. Hitting 4 of 5, I believe.
And that was under the assumption that Kopps was going to be the 5th to be taken off the roster since he won't be able to play this year.  That is also based entirely on who DVH talked about among the freshmen class in terms of players he thought would immediately contribute this year.

tennesseehogwild

Game is on Cox I see. Guess I am SOOL here since we don't have Cox. Ugghhhh!

pigture perfect

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on February 19, 2018, 09:47:51 pm

Is Angus Denton really just 5'1, 160. That's pretty short, especially for a pitcher.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

razorbackfan86

JHicks3636

With a 9 pm start time, I'm really hoping that we avoid extra innings. I remember a couple of games from last year where I got in bed just in time to get up.

lakecityhog

lakecityhog

Sorry!!! Days mixed up, waited all night to get in here and read the PBP!!!

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

JHicks3636

It looks as though this is the time of year to play baseball in San Diego without burning up. The high at game time should be about 55 and may drop a couple of degrees throughout the game. No rain and light winds are expected. After some rain tomorrow when we do not play, the weekend looks great for the games.

JHicks3636

Here are some game notes from the Arizona website
http://arizonawildcats.com/services/download_file.ashx?file_location=https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/arizona.sidearmsports.com/documents/2018/2/20/Game_Notes_Arkansas.pdf

Obvious that their wins this weekend came from pitching. Also impressive that they made no errors yet. They have a tentative line-up listed except for a pitcher. The team statistical comparisons were interesting as were their individual batting averages although early in the season. Also if you can get to San Diego for the game, it is apparently free to attend.

bosshog84

So since this game and the other three games this weekend are being televised by Cox Sports, does that mean they will not be streamed online by ESPN? How do I watch these games if I do not have the Cox Sports channel on satellite?

hillbilly

Quote from: bosshog84 on February 21, 2018, 10:13:27 am
So since this game and the other three games this weekend are being televised by Cox Sports, does that mean they will not be streamed online by ESPN? How do I watch these games if I do not have the Cox Sports channel on satellite?
Nope. If you don't have Cox Sports, you can turn the radio on and close your eyes and hopefully you have a good imagination!

HogFansReunited

I am trying to find a bar or something that has Cox Sports but haven't had any luck.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Member #3568

Razorback de Nosferatu

Cox Sports Razorback baseball.

The final frontier in not being able to watch the Hogs.  Lordy.

jbell96

From checking out the Gwynn classic schedule, on the SDSU website, the only non Cox option for watching is on the WCC streaming site for Sunday's game against San Diego.

Here is the link for it.

http://www.wccsports.com/ot/upcoming-events.html

Piglet

I didn't have any luck finding a radio station that carried last week's games down here in Southwest Arkansas.  Anyone have a list of stations that will be carrying the game tonight? 
I appreciate the folks who are posting the game on-line.  At least I can follow that along.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

SPAL

So, last year for the Frisco tourney....we had this problem. I've got a solution that worked for me last year.

1. Download a free vpn from the app store or Google play. Put in your location as somewhere in the cox footprint. Watch the game

BaggoHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 21, 2018, 01:46:52 pm
So, last year for the Frisco tourney....we had this problem. I've got a solution that worked for me last year.

1. Download a free vpn from the app store or Google play. Put in your location as somewhere in the cox footprint. Watch the game

After you've set your new location what app are you using to watch the game? 

jbell96

Quote from: Piglet on February 21, 2018, 01:42:18 pm
I didn't have any luck finding a radio station that carried last week's games down here in Southwest Arkansas.  Anyone have a list of stations that will be carrying the game tonight? 
I appreciate the folks who are posting the game on-line.  At least I can follow that along.

The official Razorback website streams every radio broadcast online, so you can listen on any mobile device you have.

swineology

TebowHater

Quote from: BaggoHog on February 21, 2018, 02:04:23 pm

Would love to hear this, too

JHicks3636

Arizona lineup

CF Stevenson      .500 
LF Morimoto        .200
1B Rivas              .200
3B Quintana        .364
C  Salazar           .286
2B Cannon          .400
DH Benson          .143
RF Frazier           .143
SS Moniot           .000
P Labaut              0-0

As a group, this lineup has struckout 11 times and walked 13 times. Strangely, none of these players have hit a homerun. In fact, no one on the team has homered. They do have a total of 6 doubles and 2 triples(both by Stevenson). Batting .259 as a team compared to our .398. They have scored 19 runs to our 49.
As for pitching, Arizona has a .69 team era to our 1.69. They have given up a .217 opposition batting average to our .158. Their pitchers have walked 13 and struckout 23 to our 10 and 31, respectively.

CJ HOG

Quote from: BaggoHog on February 21, 2018, 02:04:23 pm
Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 21, 2018, 01:46:52 pm

I did this as well last year, but it was due to a blackout situation in our area. If your provider doesn't offer Cox Sports at all, I think you're SOL.

I've switched from Uverse to DirectTV in the last year, so I think it's gonna be radio only for me unless there's some other availability I'm unaware of thus far.

CJ HOG

Found this article while browsing for viewing options. I'm not sure what YURVIEW is or how it works, but I'm investigating. If anyone uses it or knows the ins & outs, please share with those of us still searching for a viewing option please. Thanks in advance.

http://coxsportstv.com/uncategorized/how-to-watch-the-razorbacks/

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: CJ HOG on February 21, 2018, 05:19:21 pm
Found this article while browsing for viewing options. I'm not sure what YURVIEW is or how it works, but I'm investigating. If anyone uses it or knows the ins & outs, please share with those of us still searching for a viewing option please. Thanks in advance.

http://coxsportstv.com/uncategorized/how-to-watch-the-razorbacks/
Not sure how it works, but I am getting it through regular Cox Cable channels, on channel 1011 for me here in Virginia.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on February 21, 2018, 06:21:08 pm
Not sure how it works, but I am getting it through regular Cox Cable channels, on channel 1011 for me here in Virginia.

Rub it in why don't ya.  ;)

Member #3568

JHicks3636

I hope stats broadcast is good tonight because I have no backup broadcast.

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: HogFansReunited on February 21, 2018, 06:39:21 pm
Rub it in why don't ya.  ;)
Well, I would prefer to be at the game, at least I can see it. Late game, work tomorrow, could be a long night.

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

ricepig

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on February 21, 2018, 07:21:27 pm
Well, I would prefer to be at the game, at least I can see it. Late game, work tomorrow, could be a long night.

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on February 21, 2018, 06:21:08 pm

Yeah, I hope the Memphis-UCF women's game doesn't go in to OT tonight, I'd hate missing some of the game.

bodycounTT

No Cox so I'll be following this thread closely tonight. Waiting on 9pm right now must be relatable to a druggie waiting on the next fix. After a taste of Hog baseball, there's a void that can't be filled until the next game..

JHicks3636

Arkansas lineup

SS Biggers          .544
CF Fletcher         .308
RF Cole               .600
DH Bonfield         .300
LF Kjerstad          .667
C  Koch               .286
1B Gates             .500
2B Shaddy           .577
3B Wilson            .600
P   Murphy           0-0,  LH, Junior
In 2017 Murphy appeared in 19 games with 10 starts, 3.65 era and a 5-1 record, pitched 49.1 innings and walked 21 while striking out 68. He also threw one of our two complete games. He was named to the 2017 All-SEC Tournament team.
He has not pitched in 2018.

JHicks3636

Pudgepork

Kjerstad slumped to .667?   Coach needs to give him a pep talk