Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Calipari ejected early in SC game by Sirmons

Started by jbcarol, February 13, 2016, 11:23:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ  5m5 minutes ago
Post-ejection is as wild-eyed as I've ever seen Calipari. Goodness. http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2016/02/13/live-updates-kentucky-south-carolina/80337452/ ...

Isaiah Briscoe, who laughed and clapped as Carrera missed a bunch of technicals, sinks a pair of free throws. [Worst FT shooter in D1]

Looks like Kenny Payne is running the show, not Robic, with Calipari ejected.

https://twitter.com/andrewjholleran/status/698556244097961984
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jerry Tipton ‏@JerryTipton  9m9 minutes ago
From body language, Cal believed Carrera went over the back to get a rebound. Doug Sirmons came across the court to disagree.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Smalltownhog95

As much as I hate Kentucky we're seeing SEC officiating at its worst in this game.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

hawginbigd1

Didn't see all that transpired, but I like the fire! On the road probably a calculated move! Wouldn't mind seeing MA get thrown out sometime, LSU game maybe!?

HawgAdvocate

It happened less than 3 minutes into the game. SEC ref Doug Sirmons tossed him. Sirmons is known to have a short fuse. Sirmons has made some bad calls today as well and the announcers have called Sirmons out on them, as have a few folks on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/buzzpeterson/status/698557490229854208
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Captain Morgan

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 13, 2016, 11:42:26 am
Didn't see all that transpired, but I like the fire! On the road probably a calculated move! Wouldn't mind seeing MA get thrown out sometime, LSU game maybe!?

I like the fire too. Many on here are Calipari haters but I'm a Calipari fan. I think people hate on Hall of Fame coaches just to hate on them. I would love if Anderson would go bat crazy on a bad call like Calipari did. It looks to me Calipari by getting kicked out has fired up his players.

sickboy

I don't care for Cal, but throwing a coach out of the game after 3 minutes is flexing your muscles too hard in my opinion. The ref sounds like a jerk.

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HogBreath

Officiating in the SEC is beyond bad, glad though that Kaintuck felt it today.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc  now
Kentucky 41-USC 27 halftime stats:

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 13, 2016, 11:43:31 am
It happened less than 3 minutes into the game. SEC ref Doug Sirmons tossed him. Sirmons is known to have a short fuse. Sirmons has made some bad calls today as well and the announcers have called Sirmons out on them, as have a few folks on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/buzzpeterson/status/698557490229854208

So if a Ref is known for having a short fuse one would think a coach would adjust their complaining regimen accordingly.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

jkstock04

Quote from: HogBreath on February 13, 2016, 11:55:35 am
Officiating in the SEC is beyond bad, glad though that Kaintuck felt it today.
Up 14 at halftime on the road at South Carolina. Must be awful for them.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 13, 2016, 11:58:44 am
So if a Ref is known for having a short fuse one would think a coach would adjust their complaining regimen accordingly.

Or simply stand their ground, as every coach should. Empowering bad refs isn't wise. Fortunately for UK, they're up big at halftime.

HogBreath

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 13, 2016, 12:02:44 pm
Up 14 at halftime on the road at South Carolina. Must be awful for them.
At least Calipari was pissed for a few minutes.  And Carolina's guy missed 3 out of 4 free throws.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Dr. Starcs

If CMA was to pull this tonight, there would be no shortage of posters here bashing him for abandoning his team on the road.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: HogBreath on February 13, 2016, 12:09:29 pm
At least Calipari was pissed for a few minutes.  And Carolina's guy missed 3 out of 4 free throws.
Calipari knows what he's doing. That's why he regularly goes deep in the tournament and have top 3 recruiting classes.

jbcarol

Dick Vitale ‏@DickieV  11 seconds ago
Cats playing w/o their leader .UK's Calipari ejected just 146 seconds into game http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14770964 ...

QuoteCOLUMBIA, S.C. -- Kentucky Wildcats coach John Calipari was hit with two technical fouls and ejected with 17:34 remaining in the first half of Saturday's road game against the South Carolina Gamecocks.

With Kentucky leading 5-2 in a battle for first place in the SEC, Calipari exchanged words with official Doug Sirmons after South Carolina's Mindaugas Kacinas was called for an offensive foul for bowling over the Wildcats' Jamal Murray while contesting for a rebound.

In a previous scrum, officials did not call a foul on the Gamecocks' Michael Carrera when he jumped over a pair of Kentucky players and scored.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on February 13, 2016, 11:59:12 am
https://twitter.com/BuzzPeterson/status/698557490229854208

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey  34m34 minutes ago
@GrantRamey Retweeted Buzz Peterson
Buzz lighting 🔥🔥🔥 on Twitter today. 

dhizzle

Well you probably shouldn't get in a refs face at the table after a tee and yell something at him if you don't want to get tossed.

grayhawg

Cal should be hit with technicals often in nearly every game for his antics.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: dhizzle on February 13, 2016, 12:22:25 pm
Well you probably shouldn't get in a refs face at the table after a tee and yell something at him if you don't want to get tossed.

According to the game announcers, Cal went over to talk after the foul on SC, and Sirmons said something unknown to Cal that set him off and caused him to blowup. It'll be interesting to see if Cal discusses it after the game.

HogWild7886

lol at players holding him back like he was going to do something

jbcarol

HogWild7886

We all know if it were MA everyone and their momma would be blasting him at this moment, to hell with Calipari

jbcarol

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247  52m52 minutes ago
I've always wondered why players hold their coach back from going after an official. I never had that instinct.

TNhawgfan

Up 30 with 6 minutes to go. Kentucky is getting scary again
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

jbcarol

David Cloninger
‏@DCTheState
Doug Sirmons has just called his FOURTH technical. Isaiah Briscoe was celebrating with his teammates and Sirmons got him.

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc  1m1 minute ago
This will be Kentucky's 50th win in the series with USC.  The Gamecocks have 11 wins.

HogBreath

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 13, 2016, 12:15:12 pm
Calipari knows what he's doing. That's why he regularly goes deep in the tournament and have top 3 recruiting classes.
Lots of success no doubt, but seems like they usually come up just a little bit short. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: HogBreath on February 13, 2016, 01:10:45 pm
Lots of success no doubt, but seems like they usually come up just a little bit short.
When looking back at Calipari's record, one has to employ revisionist history.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 13, 2016, 12:13:33 pm
If CMA was to pull this tonight, there would be no shortage of posters here bashing him for abandoning his team on the road.

This

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 13, 2016, 11:58:44 am

I see what you did there.
Nobody else seems to have though.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

pigture perfect

You can't question someone's parentage and not expect to get a T.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Letsroll1200

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: HogWild7886 on February 13, 2016, 12:38:36 pm
We all know if it were MA everyone and their momma would be blasting him at this moment, to hell with Calipari

Not me. I would be excited that mike showed some balls for once.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 13, 2016, 12:13:33 pm
Most of us when be stunned if he showed a shred of emotion.

hog.goblin

Quote from: NATEHOGG216 on February 13, 2016, 03:10:05 pm
Not me. I would be excited that mike showed some balls for once.

This

And the only thing I dislike more than John Calipari are SEC refs

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 2h2 hours ago

Frank Martin on Calipari: "I just hope he's not at that beach house in Florida right now."

jbcarol

John Calipari ‏@UKCoachCalipari 4h4 hours ago

I have never been more proud of a team. They are now empowered. They've proven that they dont need me and I love it.

LR_Matt

Cal got tossed and they won huge.... Pretty nice to actually have some talent....

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jbcarol on February 13, 2016, 05:35:57 pm
John Calipari ‏@UKCoachCalipari 4h4 hours ago

I have never been more proud of a team. They are now empowered. They've proven that they dont need me and I love it.

Ok, great.  Resign now, & go away.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ  24h24 hours ago
From what I gather, Doug Sirmons and Calipari had friction at Kansas a couple weeks ago and Cal thought Sirmons came ready to tangle today.

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 30 seconds ago

John Calipari on his ejection: "I can't talk about it."

Calipari says his assistants always want him to take Ulis out. He gets ejected, Ulis plays 38 minutes. Cal gave assistants a hard time.

jbcarol

Calipari's early ejection irks longtime UK fan

QuoteAfter Kentucky finished defeating South Carolina on Saturday, Carolyn Brown went to the phone and called the Herald-Leader. She left a phone message. Though a UK fan and graduate, she was unhappy despite the victory.

Referee Doug Sirmons' ejection of UK Coach John Calipari with 17:34 left in the first half put Brown in a bad mood. She felt the need to scold ... Calipari.

Brown recoiled at seeing several players forced to restrain a UK coach seemingly wanting to go after Sirmons. With shirttail out and let-me-at-him fury, Calipari looked almost cartoonish. Think Yosemite Sam, minus the six-shooters.

"Even though they won, it's not right," Brown said in her message. As if to emphasize the point, she stated her name and number three times in a 48-second voice mail.

When contacted Monday morning, Brown, 89, had not cooled off nor rationalized Calipari's actions.

"To me, it's humiliating to act like that," she said. Calipari's behavior reflected poorly on UK and residents of Kentucky, she said...

Sirmons has called games in the past three Final Fours. His experience in officiating at college basketball's highest level includes Kentucky's loss to Wisconsin in the 2015 Final Four. That was the game in which the referees missed the Badgers' Nigel Hayes scoring an important basket after the shot clock expired.

Whether that history played a part in Calipari's ejection could not be determined.

But does smoldering resentment excuse the threat of violence?

jbcarol

David Cloninger ‏@DCTheState 19m19 minutes ago

David Cloninger Retweeted Kevin Brockway

Apparently no disciplinary action for Sirmons after four-tech USC-UK game.

Kevin Brockway
‏@gatorhoops

Officials for tonight's Florida-Georgia game -- Ron Groover, Olandis Poole, Doug Sirmons.

jbcarol

Jerry Tipton ‏@JerryTipton 2h2 hours ago

Cal did not address ejection at South Carolina. He was not asked about ejection at South Carolina.

Briscoe on Cal ejection: "I wasn't expecting that. I'm sure the team wasn't expecting that."

Briscoe on message team had to Cal as he departed: "We got this. Don't worry about it."

Added Briscoe: "We got to beat this team (Gamecocks) by 30. They threw our coach out."

What if players let Cal charge Sirmons? "I was wondering what would happen if we didn't hold him back," Briscoe said.

Briscoe on holding back Cal: "Oh, coach is strong. ...I don't even think he was paying attention to me and Jamal."

jbcarol

Referee Doug Sirmons' ejection of Kentucky Coach John Calipari last weekend raises an interesting question: Should Sirmons work another UK game this season? Or should he be quietly removed from UK assignments for a while until any lingering ill will subsides?

QuoteJohn Clougherty, the supervisor of officials for the Atlantic Coast Conference, said he would be reluctant to remove a referee from an assigned game because the referee ejected a coach in a past game.

"You're sending a message," Clougherty said. "By enforcing the rules ... you can be removed from a game."

That message might discourage referees from their duty of giving coaches technical fouls or ejecting coaches when merited, Clougherty said.

"Then you also send a message to other coaches," he said. Coaches would be encouraged to ask for referees to be removed. Opposing coaches would be encouraged to ask for the same referee to work the game.

"It's a slippery slope," Clougherty said.

A school like Kentucky should be obligated to not only accept a referee like Sirmons working a future home game, Clougherty said, but "take precautions to see that things are managed" to ensure the referee has a safe environment in which to work.

There is a precedent to consider. Three years ago, referee Doug Shows ejected UK assistant coach John Robic from a game at Tennessee. Willie Cauley-Stein and Archie Goodwin also received technical fouls in a game Kentucky lost by 30 points.

Two weeks later, Shows worked Kentucky's game at Arkansas without incident.

jbcarol

When a referee ejects a coach from a game, there is a protocol that must be followed.

QuoteFirst, the coach must leave the court and go to the locker room or anywhere he or she chooses outside of the arena.

At halftime, the coach is allowed to talk to his team and, well, coach.

During the game, a coach who has been ejected cannot communicate to anyone on the bench...

jbcarol

Craig Pinkerton, the SEC's director of communications, sent the NCAA's list of what it considers unsportsmanlike acts that can result in a technical foul.

Quote"Disrespectfully addressing an official."

"Attempting to influence an official's decision."

"Using profanity or language that is abusive, vulgar or obscene."

"Objecting to an official's decision by rising from the bench or using gestures."

"Possessing or using tobacco."

The NCAA recommends that referees indulge a misbehaving head coach "who engages in spontaneous reactions to officiating calls" provided the coach stay in the coaching box and the reaction is not "prolonged, profane, vulgar or threatening."