Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizzou has hired Kim Anderson -OR- Coach Anderson returns to Mizzou

Started by jbcarol, April 28, 2014, 03:48:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Mizzou Basketball ‏@MizzouHoops  53s
Mizzou will host a fan welcome reception for Kim Anderson on Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. in the practice gym of Mizzou Arena.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jeff Borzello @jeffborzello  ·  29m
Here is some more on Missouri's new head coach Kim Anderson: http://cbsprt.co/PLXn3n
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Mizzou Basketball ‏@MizzouHoops  41m
Mike Alden spoke with the Tigers today to inform them Kim Anderson would be taking over the program. #MIZ pic.twitter.com/2rgZ8gly02

jbcarol

Dave MatterVerified account@Dave_Matter
Remember, search firms aren't just for searching. Hired to cover up the tracks, which Missouri did in this case.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  2h 
Anderson closes Q&A session, "All of you who have tickets to the games and sit down low, will you please come to the games?"

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  17h 
Missouri will release contract details for Kim Anderson tomorrow. I'm hearing five-year deal, in ballpark of $1.1 million per year

can exceed $2 million with incentives

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  Apr 28 
Here's the latest at STLtoday with quotes from Alden, Anderson on hire: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/mizzou-hires-anderson-to-lead-basketball-program/article_218efc29-8538-5e3e-b608-13578feb2ee9.html ...

Matthew Harris @MHarrisAdvocate  ·  Apr 28 
Lots of people zeroing in on Anderson's age and the fact he's a rookie DI coach in the #SEC. Keep an eye on the staff he assembles.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN ·31m
Big move for new Missouri coach Kim Anderson to keep assistant Tim Fuller. He could have had Florida A&M head job.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  3h
Brad Loos agreed today to join Kim Anderson's staff at Missouri. Has been his assistant at UCM last 12 years.

jbcarol

Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz Apr 28
Keep in mind Mike Anderson is still likely at Mizzou if Arkansas didn't open up. That was the one job he was going to leave Mizzou.

Mizzou was not going to pay its basketball coach more than its football coach (3.1).That capped search in high 2 mil which took out many.

jbcarol

Tim Fuller @CoachTimFuller  ·  2h

#Mizzou officially welcome Coach A to Columbia. #HOTBOXCOOKIES

jbcarol

STL Sports News @STL_SportsNews  ·  9h
Bernie: Anderson will turn critics into believers http://bit.ly/1lJFvTf

QuoteMemo to the fans and (mostly) national media outlets that disparaged Missouri's decision to hire Kim Anderson as basketball coach: I like it. Please continue to underestimate him.
Anderson is eminently qualified to do this job. And after taking some time restore order to a dysfunctional program, Anderson will succeed.

I've heard some folks pose the question: If Anderson is so good, then why didn't another Division 1 program hire him? My answer: It's irrelevant. This is all about what Mizzou needed in a coach at this moment in history, and Anderson is the ideal fit for several reasons:

He's a smart basketball man. He won't lose many, if any, strategy match ups...

jbcarol

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  5h
From @JoeWalljasper: Anderson hopes state's best stop running for border - Columbia Daily Tribune: http://m.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/anderson-hopes-state-s-best-stop-running-for-border/article_6ffb3356-d285-11e3-be53-10604b9f6eda.html ...

QuoteDavid Lee, Tyler Hansbrough, Brandon Rush, Alec Burks, Bradley Beal, Otto Porter and Ben McLemore have three things in common. They're in the NBA, they're from the state of Missouri and they did not attend the University of Missouri.

Although the MU basketball program had some good times under three coaches in the last 15 years, Quin Snyder, Mike Anderson and Frank Haith struggled to land the state's elite recruits.

jbcarol

Earl Austin Jr. @earlaustinjr  ·  2h
Just learned that Washington High Sr. G Ronnie Suggs will open up his recruitment. The 6'6 Suggs had originally committed to Missouri

jbcarol

Gabe DeArmond ‏@GabeDeArmond  3m
With D'Angelo Allen in the fold, here is a look at other prospects #Mizzou is still checking out (FREE) -- https://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1637799 ...

jbcarol

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on May 03, 2014, 01:51:45 pm
From @JoeWalljasper: Anderson hopes state's best stop running for border - Columbia Daily Tribune: http://m.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/anderson-hopes-state-s-best-stop-running-for-border/article_6ffb3356-d285-11e3-be53-10604b9f6eda.html ...

Haith, who from the start of his tenure was trying to put out NCAA fires and come up with short-term fixes to his roster, never really developed a recruiting base in Missouri. Johnson and Gunn said Haith got off to a bad start with the state's high school coaches in his first year when he declined an invitation to speak at the annual MBCA fall clinic, which was held at Columbia College.

mizzouman

D'Angelo Allen, 6'7 forward out of Dallas.  Signed his LOI and will be on the team next year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RAZORPIGGIE on May 05, 2014, 03:44:34 pm
Congrats! Let me know what its like to have a recruiter on staff please.

Because they got a guy the Hogs pretty much passed on?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: RAZORPIGGIE on May 05, 2014, 03:44:34 pm
Congrats! Let me know what its like to have a recruiter on staff please.
???

Arkansas could have easily signed him in the early signing period....you may want to research before making statements like that.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

RazorPiggie

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 05, 2014, 04:33:08 pm
Because they got a guy the Hogs pretty much passed on?

Don't we "pass" on everyone that we don't get? I swear I read that on Hogville.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: RAZORPIGGIE on May 06, 2014, 07:31:15 am
Don't we "pass" on everyone that we don't get? I swear I read that on Hogville.

So rather than research his recruitment it's much easier to draw even more attention on your statement by attempting to make it comical. 

This is why they jumped on D'Angelo Allen: http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/04/report-missouri-signee-namon-wright-to-ask-for-release-from-national-letter-of-intent/

Arkansas is done recruiting for 2014 and went with a Shooter Dusty Hannahs instead of another athletic freak (which DeAngelo is) with Michael Qualls & Keaton Miles already on the roster. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

mizzouman

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on May 06, 2014, 08:44:50 am
So rather than research his recruitment it's much easier to draw even more attention on your statement by attempting to make it comical. 

This is why they jumped on D'Angelo Allen: http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/04/report-missouri-signee-namon-wright-to-ask-for-release-from-national-letter-of-intent/

Arkansas is done recruiting for 2014 and went with a Shooter Dusty Hannahs instead of another athletic freak (which DeAngelo is) with Michael Qualls & Keaton Miles already on the roster. 
KA along with Coach Fuller are out in California tonight to talk with Wright. Wright is asking for his release because he wants to be able to talk with others schools to make sure Mizzou is still the right choice. Until he gets his release, he cannot talk to other schools. Even if he gets his release, Mizzou is still high on the list.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: mizzouman on May 06, 2014, 07:07:54 pm
KA along with Coach Fuller are out in California tonight to talk with Wright. Wright is asking for his release because he wants to be able to talk with others schools to make sure Mizzou is still the right choice. Until he gets his release, he cannot talk to other schools. Even if he gets his release, Mizzou is still high on the list.

+1 Good Info I stand corrected.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Johnboy

Was looking at Kim Anderson's wikipedia page...

QuoteBorn in in Sedalia, Missouri, he was selected by the Portland Trail Blazers in the 2nd round (28th pick overall) of the 1977 NBA Draft and by the Milwaukee Bucks in the 7th round (146th pick overall) of the 1978 NBA Draft.

How did he get drafted 2 times?  Were things different back then or is it purely just something I don't understand?

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

IUHog

Quote from: chevymanar on May 08, 2014, 12:36:10 pm
Was looking at Kim Anderson's wikipedia page...

How did he get drafted 2 times?  Were things different back then or is it purely just something I don't understand?

I'm guessing ABA and NBA

medloh

It's kind of convoluted, but it looks like the NBA ABA merger happened a year earlier 76-77 season.

He played for Libertas Forlì (Italy) in 77-78.  So it looks like he decided to play overseas for a year and re-enter the draft.
"We wish the B12 the best, and all that"

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  3h

New Missouri coach Kim Anderson throwing out the first pitch at Thursday's Cards-Cubs game at Busch.

jbcarol

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  May 13

#Mizzou announces that former Central Mo. associate head coach Brad Loos is joining Kim Anderson's staff at Missouri, as previously reported

Anderson statement: "Brad was an instrumental part in our recruiting and player development at Central Missouri. ... "

jbcarol

St. Louis Cardinals @Cardinals  ·  20h

Fredbird is hanging out with @MizzouHoops new Head Coach Kim Anderson.

mizzouman

Looks like Namon Wright recommitts to Mizzou after talking with CKA.  If Mizzou gets Shelton Mitchell, that's 3 out of the top 76 coming in next year.

HawgAdvocate

Anderson has done a really good job thus far.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mizzouman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 16, 2014, 12:15:04 pm
Anderson has done a really good job thus far.
Still, the jury is out regarding his coaching ability and how he handles game situations at the D1 level.  A 'wait and see' approach from most fans.

thegrizz

I previously stated Alden would never hire a Norm guy. Well, WRONG AGAIN. Then I worried coach Anderson wouldnt be able to recruit at this level. Im happy to say, at least thus far, WRONG AGAIN. Keeping the kid from Los Angeles and the kid from Georgia impressed the heck out of me. If he can land the point guard who originally committed to Wake I will be tickled right down to my toe nails. Now, I always thought he could coach, Im just hoping that for the first time I am right on one thing!

jbcarol

Mizzou News @UMizzouNews  ·  22h
MU officially adds Wright to 2014 class http://bit.ly/R9Aqb5

Quote• Missouri officially announced on Wednesday that basketball recruit Namon Wright has reconfirmed his commitment. Wright announced his decision late last week.

The 6-4 guard from Los Angeles signed with Mizzou last fall but considered other schools after Frank Haith left for the head coaching job at Tulsa. New coach Kim Anderson and members of his staff visited Wright in Los Angeles earlier this month, after which Mizzou released Wright from his letter of intent so he could explore other options. But after visiting Utah last week, Wright recommitted to MU. His initial LOI was re-executed through Mizzou's compliance department and submitted to the Southeastern Conference and NCAA.

poloprince

Quote from: mizzouman on May 16, 2014, 12:23:21 pm
Still, the jury is out regarding his coaching ability and how he handles game situations at the D1 level.  A 'wait and see' approach from most fans.

His record says differently and that fact that Ark hasn't had back to back winning conference seasons since Nolan.  Every coach in America that loses gets questioned about in game situations including MA.  The fact remains that he wins more than he loses is far better than what had become the norm at Arkansas.
$PoLoPrInCe$

mizzouman

Quote from: poloprince on May 22, 2014, 11:47:01 am
His record says differently and that fact that Ark hasn't had back to back winning conference seasons since Nolan.  Every coach in America that loses gets questioned about in game situations including MA.  The fact remains that he wins more than he loses is far better than what had become the norm at Arkansas.
Keep in mind that winning at the D2 level is quite a bit different than the D1 level.  We'll just have to wait and see. 

jbcarol

Kim Anderson @CoachAndersonMU  ·  22h
Busy day around the office ... Interviewing some coaching candidates and then off to the Chancellor's Staff Appreciation Lunch at 11:30 a.m.

Coach Fuller and I will be serving lunch at the Student Center today at 11:30 a.m. Come on by and say hello. #MIZ

jbcarol

Q&A with MU basketball Coach Kim Anderson - Columbia Daily Tribune | Columbia Missouri: MU Basketball: http://m.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/q-a-with-mu-basketball-coach-kim-anderson/article_737f03bc-e3c0-11e3-a048-10604b9f6eda.html ...

QuoteKim Anderson landed his dream job on April 28 when Missouri announced it had hired him to be the 18th permanent head basketball coach in school history.

Q: How have your first three weeks been?
A: Wild. It's been a lot of fun. I've had a chance to reach out to a lot of fans and people, and I've got to do some neat things. I got to throw the first pitch out at the Cardinals game, which was very intimidating — to be standing out there on that mound in front of that many people...

Q: I know you're still trying to fill out the roster, and I know you're close. You've still got a couple scholarships that you can use. How important was it to have Namon Wright re-pledging?
A: I think it was huge. When I got here and sat down with Tim ... our No. 1 priority was to try to make sure that Jakeenan was on board, and Jakeenan was on board. We spent some time with him and his mom.  Then we were working on Namon.

Q: You talked a lot your first day on the job about wanting to build around four-year players, and obviously, having three freshmen — at least — coming in is a good start toward that. But you're also on the verge of adding a fifth-year transfer. (Note: Shamburger has verbally committed the Tigers, but NCAA rules prevent Anderson from commenting on him until he officially joins the program.) Why is that important?
A: That's a great question, and it's a discussion that we've had internally with people here in the athletic department, and I think if you look at our roster, it is very heavy on freshmen and sophomores, and if you actually look at the roster, the only senior is Keanau Post. So my theory on it was I thought it would be good if we, A, could bring in some experience, and, B, at the end of that year, if we sign two guys like that, it gives you three scholarships to work on for next year. The alternative to that would be go sign a high school player who maybe is not good enough at this point, so you're bringing more youth into the situation. We may do that. I'm not saying we won't. We're still recruiting some really good high school players, but if they decide not to come, then you end up taking a player that maybe in the long run's not quite good enough.

So if this works — and I'm not saying we're going to get it done — it gives you experience, and it gives you scholarships at the end of the year, and we need scholarships. We need to be able to go recruit guys. Hopefully, that's the way that it will break out in the end.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  4h
From today's P-D: Mizzou ties could boost Anderson's recruiting efforts http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/mizzou-ties-could-boost-anderson-s-recruiting-efforts/article_a8cfa20c-7e9c-5527-9c1d-c3503eb65230.html ...

QuoteToday marks one month since Anderson became Mizzou's head coach. With roster spots to fill in a short amount of time, the former Mizzou player and assistant coach has relieved initial fears about his ability to recruit as a first-time Division I head coach. In an age when previously signed recruits typically ask out of their letters of intent after a coaching change, Anderson managed to salvage Mizzou's two-man class signed last fall by former coach Frank Haith. Forward Jakeenan Gant and guard Namon Wright, both rated among the top 75 recruits in the country, will play for Anderson next season.

He also signed D'Angelo Allen, a 6-7 forward from Dallas courted by SEC and Big 12 schools. Anderson found a quick fix for MU's backcourt in Keith Shamburger, a senior transfer from Hawaii expected to join the program this summer. He missed on a long-term point guard option in Shelton Mitchell, who picked Vanderbilt over Mizzou, but has since zeroed in on Seattle point guard Tramaine Isabell.

jbcarol

Kim Anderson @CoachAndersonMU  · 
Congrats to St.Louis for being selected to host the 2018 SEC Men's Basketball Tourney. Great job by all involved! #OneMizzou!

jbcarol

Kim Anderson @CoachAndersonMU  ·  20h
Excited to begin working with our team today. Glad to have the guys back on campus!

Tod Palmer @todpalmer  ·  16h
#Mizzou men's basketball has hired former Spurs strength and conditioning coach Matt Herring to the same position.

Herrin replaces Todor Pandov, who went to Tulsa with Haith. Herring also as S&C coach at Florida for 7 seasons, including 06/07 titles years

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  21h
Or Kim RT @umsystem: Coach Wes Anderson is with #umsystem staff recognition lunch today giving out Bowling Award 

jbcarol

Gabe DeArmond @GabeDeArmond  ·  57m
Kim Anderson said he has a couple interviews for his third assistant this week, probably 2-3 weeks from making a hire

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  Jun 10
Anderson's had 3 workouts with team last few weeks. Says Wes Clark is becoming a leader.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  59m
If you missed earlier, complete Q&A with #Mizzou coach Kim Anderson. He talks Xs & Os, players, recruiting & more http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/anderson-q---a-i-want-to-put-a/article_3c50f0b4-e5e5-5da1-b805-57ef89163d83.html ...

jbcarol

Lee's Summit West Coach Michael Schieber and his peers in the Missouri Basketball Coaches Association haven't always felt so invited around the MU program in recent seasons. It's a reason some had stopped bringing their players to the Tigers' team camp.

Blue Springs' Adam Jones, who's spent the past 16 years at the school and is in his third year as the Wildcats' head coach, said that for the first time in his tenure, the team skipped coming to Columbia last season and instead went to the Kansas camp.

"When Coach Anderson got hired, we immediately got back into it," Jones said. "We wanted to be back in our Missouri roots and with Coach Anderson and all the other teams that come down here annually."

Anderson, from the first day he was introduced as Frank Haith's successor, has talked about his desire to reach out to high school coaches around the state and smooth over any friction that might have developed with the basketball program at the state's flagship university.

He would like the coaches to be his allies as he tries to convince the state's best players to stay home, unlike recent standouts such as Bradley Beal, Ben McLemore and Otto Porter, who ended up playing at Florida, Kansas and Georgetown, respectively.

Plus BJ Young

jbcarol

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  18h
Missouri freshman basketball players make the leap - Columbia Daily Tribune http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/missouri-freshman-basketball-players-make-the-leap/article_bd21586a-b6e0-5fc7-aff6-39864deb88a3.html#.U6cxFL7-qW0.twitter ...

Hitting weight room for the first time ever

David Morrison @DavidCMorrison  ·  Jun 22

And more on the blog about the future of human performance research and application at Missouri- http://bit.ly/1swNJDU .