Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Athletics Facilities Race

Started by jbcarol, June 14, 2012, 12:01:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

smb

I would have thought Georgia would of had one.
GeorgiaHOG

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 20h20 hours ago

UGA approves plans for 'transformational' indoor facility http://trib.al/EjiD1th

jbcarol

Tyler Thompson ‏@MrsTylerKSR  4h4 hours ago
Last week, Mitch Barnhart issued a call to arms to finish CWS. Volunteers will be working each night this week : http://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/uk-athletics-going-allin-to-finish-commonwealth-stadium/ ...

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jason Butt ‏@JasonHButt

UGA Athletic Association board of directors approves $30.2 million practice facility budget: http://www.macon.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-beat/article32923209.html ...

Jason Butt ‏@JasonHButt Sep 2

Richt: "It's good to know (IPF) facility is coming. It's going to be beautiful. It's going to be different from most."

jbcarol

Kentucky Athletics ‏@UKAthletics Sep 4

That's @UKMitchBarnhart showing off his vacuum skills. It's all hands on deck to get #TheNewCWS ready for the #BBN.

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 10m10 minutes ago

New Story || Drone crashes into Commonwealth Stadium on the night of the big renovation reveal. http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2015/09/05/drone-crashes-into-commonwealth-stadium/71796014/ ...

QuoteLEXINGTON, Ky. – There were a lot of things dropping out of the sky just before kickoff Saturday night as Kentucky unveiled its $126 million renovation of Commonwealth Stadium, including a game ball and three flags delivered by parachute, so it might've been easy to miss the drone hovering in the distance.

At least until the small unmanned aircraft crashed into the building's new press box.

It crashed into the southwest corner of the stadium, near the suite level, school spokesman Jay Blanton confirmed. The drone was recovered and UK officials have spoken to the owner – although they declined to identify the person...

The drone was not UK approved, rather privately owned and "should not have been here," Blanton said. "Our police will be considering next steps."

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ Sep 5

What We Learned || Like its new stadium, UK football has some shiny new things but still requires finishing touches: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2015/09/06/what-we-learned-uk-vs-ull/71787018/ ...

Quote[Stoops] called the crowd of 62,933 – UK's first sellout since 2010 – and an enormous showing by fans at the team's entrance to the stadium a "building block" for the program, in that such support will help the Cats continue to attract top prospects, like the ones who enjoyed the luxurious new recruiting room on Saturday.

Stoops hopes the unexpected nail-biter, against a 17-point underdog that has never beaten an SEC team, will also be something upon which Kentucky can build...

jbcarol

ICM@ICM_LLC

@OleMissAF @OleMissRebels @RossBjorkAD Impressive improvements by #olemiss for the 2015 season at Vaught-Hemingway

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on August 10, 2015, 09:01:54 am
Pat Smith ‏@patsmithradio 2h2 hours ago

A spectacular addition to Jordan-Hare. Gotta think SEC counterparts will follow suit. Battle of JumboTrons to ensue.

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 23s24 seconds ago

We've entered will-the-new-video-board-affect-the-wind-for-kickers territory at this Tuesday press conference.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 8h8 hours ago

Updated -- > UF, contractor agree on $64.5M O'Dome renovation - via @Gator_sports http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20150908/ARTICLES/150909726/1136 ...

QuoteDelaying the O'Connell Center renovation for a year didn't get University of Florida managers the lower price they hoped for, after all.

UF and UAA will need to come up with an additional $4.5 million. Officials said supporters can contact Gator Boosters to pledge donations to help finish the project.

UF Spring Commencement will be held at Ben Griffin Stadium. The volleyball team will begin its 2016 season at Santa Fe College, and the men's and women's basketball teams will play their fall 2016 games around the state.

The gymnastics studio won't be affected.

Built in 1980 for $15.6 million, UF has put millions into the 12,000-seat arena, replacing the Teflon roof with a hard roof...

"Going off campus would be a big mistake," Foley said. "That facility needs to stay on campus."

A feasibility study in 2011 that looked at stadium projects including Mizzou Arena at the University of Missouri and Coleman Coliseum at the University of Alabama came up with an approved concept and a $33.8 million budget.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman 19m19 minutes ago

A&M's Phillip Ray on new $485 mil Kyle Field for Saturday vs. Ball State: 'We're ready.'

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman 45m45 minutes ago

Hard to believe the west side rubble of Kyle Field was on this spot in late December:

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman  38m38 minutes ago College Station, TX
Taking a moment to thank @tamu for including "old-fashioned" Ethernet in the new press box -- a relief to know it's there if needed.

jbcarol

Gus Malzahn walks onto the field after Tiger Walk before the Jacksonville State game Saturday, Sept. 12, 2015
Julie Bennett

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman 13h13 hours ago College Station, TX

Kevin Sumlin on his weekly radio show about new Kyle Field: 'It's loud as hell down there, & that's going to pay dividends down the road.'

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman 19h19 hours ago College Station, TX

With hot game dead ahead on Saturday, Kyle Field concessions need to be on top of their game, too: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/09/kyle-field-concessions-apparently-in-need-of-a-makeover-or-just-more-help/ ...

A&M AD Eric Hyman tells me Levy Restaurants intends to bring in 255 people, including 55 Levy managers, to bolster Kyle concessions on Sat.

Eric Hyman also said fans are welcome to bring sealed gallon waters etc & more water stands will be spread throughout Kyle concourses on Sat

Hyman said flow of fans into Kyle can greatly be helped if they enter the gate stated on their tickets -- spreads people around more.

Hyman said Kyle Field new sound system should be better on Saturday after some kinks worked out, & should be at optimum on Oct 3 vs MSU.

mizzouman

Mizzou spent $100 million just 3 years ago to update the East side stands and press box at the football stadium, redo the infrastructure of the stadium, update the golf and tennis facilities.

Now, over $200 million will be spent shortly to update the athletes facilities at the stadium, make it a more fan friendly atmosphere.  Also, will tear down the old Hearnes Center and build a smaller arena for gymnastics, volleyball and wrestling.  Will build an indoor track arena.

The other thing is to either upgrade the baseball stadium or build a new one.

But, AD Rhodes made it clear that football is top priority and the stadium will end up being spectacular. 

Good, because it's a dump now.

Inhogswetrust

I've been in Hearnes. I though after they built the Mizzou Arena that Hearnes would be a decent enough facility for the sports you mentioned. Kind of how we got Barnhill to be reused and like other schools have done as new basketball arenas have been built.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

mizzouman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 23, 2015, 03:19:05 pm
I've been in Hearnes. I though after they built the Mizzou Arena that Hearnes would be a decent enough facility for the sports you mentioned. Kind of how we got Barnhill to be reused and like other schools have done as new basketball arenas have been built.
It's too big to keep up the maintenance.  Not sure how much of it that you have seen, but you can get totally lost in that place.  The basketball arena part is only about half of the building.

Anyway, the plan is to level it, build another arena for VB, Wrestling and Gymnastics, and an indoor track facility.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on September 24, 2015, 07:59:28 am
It's too big to keep up the maintenance.  Not sure how much of it that you have seen, but you can get totally lost in that place.  The basketball arena part is only about half of the building.

Anyway, the plan is to level it, build another arena for VB, Wrestling and Gymnastics, and an indoor track facility.

I agree maintenance might be expensive but it is in a lot of old arenas that have been reformatted for other uses. I have been all through it and always thought for the time it was used it was an adequate facility but like all of them it got outdated. The Arkansas PTB's have even considered doing away with Barnhill and building a new facility. Not sure where that stands at this time. Probably will happen at some point.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The_Iceman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 24, 2015, 11:35:24 am
I agree maintenance might be expensive but it is in a lot of old arenas that have been reformatted for other uses. I have been all through it and always thought for the time it was used it was an adequate facility but like all of them it got outdated. The Arkansas PTB's have even considered doing away with Barnhill and building a new facility. Not sure where that stands at this time. Probably will happen at some point.

If they would renovate the exterior of Barhill, that would go a long way towards keeping it. However, their plans on a new arena would really benefit all the women's programs that use that facility.

mizzouman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 24, 2015, 11:35:24 am
I like Barnhill though.  The Hearnes is just ugly and just too damn big to maintain.  Air conditioning alone puts a hurting on the budget. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on September 24, 2015, 12:47:18 pm
I like Barnhill though.  The Hearnes is just ugly and just too damn big to maintain.  Air conditioning alone puts a hurting on the budget. 

Agree. Barnhill is a little more "intimate". It does need some work inside and out though. IF the plans are still to build a new building down by Baum and Tyson indoor track then they could tear down Barnhill and use the space for something else.

NoNC4Tubs

jbcarol

Stark reminder:

Michael Casagrande ‏@ByCasagrande Sep 29

Georgia does not yet have an indoor practice facility.

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on October 01, 2015, 06:05:22 pm
Stark reminder:

Michael Casagrande ‏@ByCasagrande Sep 29

Georgia does not yet have an indoor practice facility.

Which might give jawja an advantage against bammer tomorrow.......... 8)

jbcarol

Kennedy Hardman
‏@kennedy_hardman

Kentucky hospitality! #UKBasketball opens up Joe Craft for #EKU. Lots of ball movement 4 the Colonels. @CoachMcHale

EKU campus is unavailable due to threat left on bathroom wall.

jbcarol

Matthew Buchanan
‏@mattbarchitect

Racking the court floor @ The Pavilion .@OleMissRebels

OleMissPix ‏@OleMissPix 13h13 hours ago

SquareJam2015 @OleMissMBB

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 37m37 minutes ago

Arkansas shows off new basketball practice facility http://trib.al/yzTXsX3

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman Oct 13 College Station, TX

Kevin Sumlin on the new Kyle Field: "Both sides are done, and the field is lowered. It's louder – it's considerably louder."

Texas A&M's new (& massive) Hall of Champions on Kyle west side will be open to public from 10-11:30 am Saturday, prior to Bama-A&M game.

NoNC4Tubs

Perhaps a market for Bose noise-cancelling helmets...?  8)

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt ‏@CecilHurt  2h2 hours ago
Nice (steep) new setup at A&M.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on October 17, 2015, 02:59:02 pm
Cecil Hurt ‏@CecilHurt  2h2 hours ago
Nice (steep) new setup at A&M.

Still aggies though....................

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/655441126510301184

Kansas players have a basketball court in their new facility. Halfcourt.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on July 21, 2015, 04:43:41 pm
Ross Bjork ‏@RossBjorkAD Jul 17

Working hard! 🚜🔨🔩@WillTraylor: Started early today. Pavilion court slab pour started at 2:30am @BLHarbert1 @OleMissAF

SEC Sports ‏@SEC 34m34 minutes ago

Andy Kennedy on new arena: "For the first time, we can provide Rebel Nation a gameday experience for basketball like never before."

jbcarol

Tom Green ‏@AUBlog  38m38 minutes ago
Auburn gets championship rings, announces stadium upgrade http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/softball/article_a4c5b8b2-7ab9-11e5-a70a-672346735cd7.html ...

Quoteollowing the Tigers' double-header sweep of Valdosta State, the 2015 team was honored and received their SEC Championship rings — ones designed by some of the members of this year's team. It was the first ever ring ceremony in the history of Auburn softball.

Auburn head coach Clint Myers began a heartfelt speech, thanking family, friends and fans for supporting the squad during last year's memory-filled season. Then he made an announcement that gained a huge round of applause from those in attendance.
"There was such great support (last year) we have to bring in 1,000 more seats just so we can fill the stadium," Myers said.
Seats will be added on both the first- and third-base sides of the stadium concourses. Myers said about 600 will be added to the first-base side and 300 on the third-base side (where the additional seats were added last year).
Myers hopes construction will begin on Dec. 1, if not sooner, to be ready for the 2016 season. When completed, the stadium will be increased to a 2,000-seat capacity. Myers also said that two food trucks will be on the first-base side, as well as additional bathrooms and a kids' play area.

jbcarol

Andy Shain ‏@AndyShain Oct 22

New logo for @UofSC's baseball stadium now called Founders Park after $7m, 10-yr naming rights + advertising deal

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 16h16 hours ago

For $250 a plate, you can dine inside new UF IPF  - http://GatorZone.com  http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=31548 ... via @FloridaGators

QuoteThe University Athletic Association is excited to announce a unique and exciting experience for Gator Football fans -- the chance to dine inside the Florida Football Indoor Practice Facility on Friday, November 20.

Those in attendance will have a photo opportunity with the Gators' coveted Heisman trophies, and the chance to see first-hand where the UF football team trains on a weekly basis.

In addition, fans will learn about the history behind what took place in order to make the facility a reality, and what it means for the success of the program moving forward.   

jbcarol

John Del Bianco ‏@JohnDelBianco27 14h14 hours ago South Carolina, USA

Waiting on @GamecockFB practice to finish up. The team is breaking in the new indoor practice facility.

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 3h3 hours ago

New Story || As UK prepares for sixth game in new digs, Mitch Barnhart says Commonwealth Stadium "over 90" % done: In that, Barnhart also provides an update on the new $45 million UK practice facility, which is now fully enclosed. http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2015/10/31/barnhart-stadium-over-90-percent-done/74969280/ ...

QuoteLEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky football played its sixth game in renovated Commonwealth Stadium on Saturday night, but the $126 million project is still not quite done.

"Every week that goes by, we're knocking out more off the punch list. There's still stuff to do. I think there are going to be some things in the offseason that we're going to have to go back and adjust, things we know now that we didn't know then," athletic director Mitch Barnhart told The Courier-Journal. "When we opened the season, I said we were 80-85 percent (done). I'd say now we're well over 90 and gaining ground on it."

There was a mad scramble to get the facility functional for the season opener on Sept. 5, which went off without a hitch, but plenty of areas in and around the stadium still looked like an active construction site.

He also provided an update on the $45 million practice facility just outside the stadium, which has gone up quickly and is beginning to take shape.

"On track, still mid-July to open," Barnhart said. "The goal was to get it enclosed and under cover (it is) by the fall and then spend all winter working inside and not worrying about the weather. I think we're in good shape. They're doing really, really well. It looks really cool. It's getting a lot of oohs and aahs. Pretty special facility."

jbcarol

Rupp Arena is in the early stages of transition.

QuoteRibbon board advertising ringed the facade dividing the upper and lower levels.

Next up will be new video boards in the upper corners. The new screens will be about 5 feet wider.

Construction will also begin on a center-hung scoreboard and new sound system. The red ducts and support towers will be painted, plus a new scorer's table and video/message boards in the Hyatt Regency hotel lobby installed.

The Rupp Wi-Fi will be upgraded in the fall of 2016.

Calipari was asked at SEC Media Day about Rupp Arena's viability going into the future.

"Rupp Arena is historic," he said, "and it's 35 years old."

(Actually, this will be UK's 40th season playing in Rupp Arena. And the arena has had several upgrades. UK fans of a certain age may recall the original multi-colored seating sections, including — ahem — bright red and bright orange.)

"For me as a coach and my players, we don't see the upper concourses," he said. "We don't sit upstairs. ... Our locker room is nicer than any NBA locker room. ...

"For fans and the presentation of the game and their seats and all, something needs to be done at some point. Because it's 35 years old."

This led the questioner to seemingly get to his point and ask about the likelihood of UK building an on-campus arena.

"I don't know," Calipari said. "That's above my pay grade. If they were doing it, they'd probably tell me."

The on-campus arena issue may have been the last straw when Rick Pitino left in 1997 for the Celtics job.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 1h1 hour ago

Lexington City Council approves $15 million in Rupp upgrades, including new scoreboard and wireless for fans

jbcarol

ROI:

COLLEGE STATION - In the same space coach Paul "Bear" Bryant once prowled under the old, barren Kyle Field stands - the same expanse where coach R.C. Slocum kidded one could hear "Phantom of the Opera" late at night amid the stadium's west side "dungeon" decor - now rests a polished grand piano.

QuoteIt's not far from a grand staircase accentuated by a grander chandelier. On the sparkly stadium's south side, pampered players are treated to a hot tub surrounded by a waterfall, an artsy barbershop, and a high-tech locker room that wows every recruit lucky enough to receive a gold ticket inside a college football mecca.

Texas A&M, with its half-billion dollar ode to sports fanaticism finished this fall, finally has all in place to compete for a Southeastern Conference title. All except the competing part.

While everything enveloping them has been enriched at Kyle Field...