Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Huge Brown Caught on White River - 3rd Largest in AR History

Started by RazorbackRon, March 03, 2015, 09:15:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorbackRon

A huge brown trout was caught last week, Feb 27, out of the Rainbow Drive Resort on the White River in Cotter.

The fish weighed in at 38.7 pounds and measured 37.5 inches.

Evidently, the fish was unable to be revived after the catch and was unable to be released.  What a shame, but it shows what the White is still capable of.

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/story/d/story/kansas-man-catches-3rd-largest-brown-trout-in-arka/13636/Ba8G2UBrO0qh7eNr7AZvdg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rainbow-Drive-Resort/103943397446

Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

jkstock04

Wow what an unbelievable catch...just think of all the years that fish lived in that river.  I'm gonna guess at least 25 year old fish. I fish up in Cotter a couple of times a year in the late winter...you will catch glimpses of fish like this occasionally but actually landing one is all but unheard of.

It makes me sick to see it wasn't released back. If you have ever been with a guide they will tell you when you catch a big brown...take a few quick pictures, and get it back in the F back in the water fast. Lol of course a guides motivation is gonna be to sell the fact of catching fish like that in there. Regardless, still one heck of a catch....I bet that was something bringing that big dude in. The video wouldn't load for me, I'll try it again.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Just talked to one of my buddies who would know....evidently they caught it at night from the bank. That makes a lot more sense.

Most people don't know it but a huge brown like that is more likely to hit at night time.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Albert Einswine

I may or may not release that fish, and I release almost all fish except for the occasional few for the grill. A fish that old has left a lot of milt on the redd in its lifetime so it's no sin to keep it.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

RazorbackRon

It's like the world record brown caught on the Little Red River a few years ago.  Mr Collins wanted to release the fish after he caught it but it wasn't able to be revived.  If they had released either fish back in to the river, it would have just turned up dead a few hours later.   A fish that big expends too much energy fighting and like I read somewhere else, was close to the end of it's life anyway.

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

hogbud

Congrats to the Kansan! Just another reason why Arkansas should raise non-resident fishing license fees. Bordering states are much higher for us Arkies to visit and fish.

Albert Einswine

I have no problem with raising non resident fees with one caveat, in my instance as an Arkansas native who lives out of state but still owns property and pays taxes I don't think non-residents with stake in Arkansas should be subject to that type of retaliation.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

RazorbackRon

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 04, 2015, 12:39:09 pm
I have no problem with raising non resident fees with one caveat, in my instance as an Arkansas native who lives out of state but still owns property and pays taxes I don't think non-residents with stake in Arkansas should be subject to that type of retaliation.

Agreed.  You are already paying property taxes in AR.

RazorbackRon

some more info on how the fish was caught .....from ArkansasHunting.net

Calvin was part of our fishing group this past weekend at Rainbow Drive Resort in Cotter. We had been wade fishing that day, but late that evening he went back down to the river to fish until dark....so he was fishing from the bank. He was using a mepps spinner. Unfortunately, the fish was in fact unable to be revived after the catch. The fish will for sure be mounted...maybe will even be able to be seen in bass pro.

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

jrulz83

Just a side note, but if I caught a fish like this I'd say I caught it on the dumbest bait I could think of. I'd go Flying Lure, or the Helicopter Lure:

On this rod:

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

The fisherman is the son-in-law of one of my employees.  According to my employee, son-in-law has received SEVERAL inquiries from companies looking to use the fish in their advertising, including Under Armor.  Apparently, son-in-law had a UA shirt on when he caught the fish...

He caught an nice fish and is going to cash in because of it.

Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: "Pickled" Pig's Pete on March 12, 2015, 03:55:33 pm

The fisherman is the son-in-law of one of my employees.  According to my employee, son-in-law has received SEVERAL inquiries from companies looking to use the fish in their advertising, including Under Armor.  Apparently, son-in-law had a UA shirt on when he caught the fish...

He caught an nice fish and is going to cash in because of it.

I don't blame the son-in-law for wanting to make something off of the ...once in a lifetime catch, why not?  Easily see... rod, reel, line, lure companies, etc. wanting his endorsement.  Yet, if Under Armor wants to get in there too.....so be it.  Believe the son-in-law may want to contact Fruit of the Loom or Hanes underwear.....to see if they are interested too. He could claim he was wearing Hanes V-neck T-shirts.....& Fruit of the Loom's underwear.... ;D 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

pigture perfect

I've seen huge fish on the White. Never been able to hook one. They don't get that big by being stupid.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"