Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flying with a firearm

Started by Kenny Hawgins, December 24, 2014, 09:32:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny Hawgins

Leaving in a few days to visit family and would like to take a gun or two for recreational shooting with family.  Anyone here tried to check a firearm when flying?  How much trouble is it?
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

kodiakisland

It's easy enough.  Just plan for a little extra time.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 24, 2014, 09:47:18 pm
It's easy enough.  Just plan for a little extra time.
So do I just walk up to the agent and say "I've got a gun"?  :)

I guess the main thing I'm concerned about is getting a gun lost since we have a layover at DFW. 

kodiakisland

Pretty much.  Tell the person at the counter you have a firearm.  Make sure it's in a proper case and meets the requirement of whatever airline you're flying on.  Look on their website.  They will have info for flying with a firearm.  You will take it to TSA and they will inspect it.  You should be allowed to lock the case with your own locks once they are done.  All airports handle it a little different at the TSA stage and probably depends on the individual working that day.  Just plan for extra time and it shouldn't be a problem.

I've had the process take anywhere from 5 minutes to almost an hour.  Just depends on how lucky you are.  The airlines are used to checking firearms as people fly every day with them.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

PonderinHog

Or just go to the boarding area and shout, "I've got a gun!"  Someone will be there to assist you shortly...

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 25, 2014, 07:45:34 am
Or just go to the boarding area and shout, "I've got a gun!"  Someone will be there to assist you shortly...
Exactly what I had in mind.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on December 25, 2014, 10:19:47 am
Exactly what I had in mind.

Also, if you do manage to get on the plane with it, you can show it to the flight attendant and tell her you want an upgrade to first class.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

kodiakisland

Many years ago I got on a plane with a handgun in my carryon.  Once I realized I had it on the plane I was so nervous I couldn't sit still.  It wasn't as big a deal back then, but it still wouldn't have been good if they found out.

In the 70s you would hand your rifle case to the pilots and they kept them up front with them. 

theFlyingHog

I saw a 65 year old lady get taken down when TSA found a .357 in her back waistband at Little Rock about 6 years ago

jkstock04

I've done it once it wasn't too bad. Gun has to be in a hard case...locked of course. Gun itself has to have trigger lock (places that sell guns have hundreds of these laying around and will give you one). Obviously gun can't be loaded, and ammo has to be separate.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bulldog04

I flew to Atlanta from Fort Smith on delta with a handgun.  Had to have to gun in a hard case unloaded and locked and the ammo separate.  I told them at FSM and they gave me a pink tag and said put it in my luggage and that was it.  Didn't look at anything.  Now flying back was different.  At ATL, I had to go to the oversized luggage room with 4 TSA agents and they inspected my checked bag thoroughly and wiped my hands.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on December 24, 2014, 09:32:28 pm
Leaving in a few days to visit family and would like to take a gun or two for recreational shooting with family.  Anyone here tried to check a firearm when flying?  How much trouble is it?

how did it go

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: vol_in_ar on December 28, 2014, 09:20:12 am
how did it go
Not a problem.  The ticket agent looked pretty nervous when I told her I wanted to declare a firearm.  She was pretty young and I think it was the first time she had dealt with that. 

I was a bit surprised that neither she nor the tsa agent didn't inspect it to ensure that it was unloaded.  In fact, they both seemed hesitant to get near it.

kodiakisland

I've seen it go both ways with TSA.  Some don't want anything to do with it and others want to get it out and handle it, even though they don't have a clue what they're doing.  Glad it went smooth.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on December 29, 2014, 11:01:18 am
Not a problem.  The ticket agent looked pretty nervous when I told her I wanted to declare a firearm.  She was pretty young and I think it was the first time she had dealt with that. 

I was a bit surprised that neither she nor the tsa agent didn't inspect it to ensure that it was unloaded.  In fact, they both seemed hesitant to get near it.

very good

theFlyingHog

When I worked for American pax could take 11lbs of ammo in checked luggage. Two boxes of 3" 12ga. GF at the ticket counter let a guy check a whole case for his dove hunt in Argentina. Man I thought he was going to dig into that box of shells when I told him 8 boxes had to stay behind