Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice concerning refurbishing a shotgun

Started by Tripod1, October 01, 2014, 11:02:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripod1

I read in this forum but haven't posted before.  Use to hunt but no longer.  My dad gave me his old Belgium Browning 12 gauge which was made in 1957.  I don't plan on shooting it and will pass it along to my son maybe even for Christmas this year. It has a few small places with rust and of course the blue has rubbed off in some places on the barrel.  The stock is in average shape.  Would you have it re-blued and the stock refinished or what?  Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

ArchitectHog

Quote from: Tripod1 on October 01, 2014, 11:02:49 am
I read in this forum but haven't posted before.  Use to hunt but no longer.  My dad gave me his old Belgium Browning 12 gauge which was made in 1957.  I don't plan on shooting it and will pass it along to my son maybe even for Christmas this year. It has a few small places with rust and of course the blue has rubbed off in some places on the barrel.  The stock is in average shape.  Would you have it re-blued and the stock refinished or what?  Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

If he is going to use it for hunting, I may consider getting it re-blued.  If it is just going to be a family hand me down, I wouldn't want to alter the shape that it's currently in.  It took your dad 50+(or so) years to get in that shape.  I would't wanna wash that off.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
Quote from: KEYS on October 07, 2009, 10:45:57 am
The Hogs should play every HOME game in Little Rock just as soon as the campus is moved there... hence the meaning of "home."
Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on August 13, 2010, 08:47:52 am
We can no longer afford to play in Little Rock. The university is in Fayetteville.

Tripod1

Quote from: ArchitectHog on October 01, 2014, 11:38:23 am
If he is going to use it for hunting, I may consider getting it re-blued.  If it is just going to be a family hand me down, I wouldn't want to alter the shape that it's currently in.  It took your dad 50+(or so) years to get in that shape.  I would't wanna wash that off.
It won't be used for hunting.  BUT, should I have a gunsmith go through it and make sure all parts are working so it can be fired?  It probably hasn't been shot in 30+ years.

kodiakisland

First off, thanks for passing it down even though you are not using it.  Lots of people today just get rid of stuff like that and don't attach any sentimental value to it.

Blueing wear is expected and in my opinion, desired.  It shows the gun was used by someone who enjoyed time with it.  Rust on the other hand probably needs taking care of.  Hard to say what to do without looking at it.  Please no steel wool!  I would not refinish the stock unless it looks bad.  Some wear is to be expected, but if looks bad a minor touch up might be in order.

Belgium guns are some of the finest.  I hope your son gets a lot of use and enjoyment from it.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Tripod1

Thanks guys for the input.  No the stock is not bad at all just normal wear.  Very small rust spot in 2 places so I will get that taken care of.  Yes, the gun has sentimental value and I would never think of selling it.  My son will understand he keeps it and gives it to his son.  BTW, I'm 64 and son is 35 so he is settled and not stupid young!!

Albert Einswine

My dad gave me his '54 model Sweet Sixteen for my 16th birthday, my Granddad had bought it for him when he was 11. The instructions were it had to be passed down, no circumstance would be valid for selling it. I passed it down to my younger son on his 16th birthday with the same instruction.

I have my Granddad's '43 Rem. Model 11, it will be passed down with the same instructions.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

Clean it good rub it down with some RIG and when ready go hunting.  Those are some of the best guns every made !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

CallThemHawgs!

Tripod1

Thanks for all the advice friends.  It will be passed down AS IS with instructions it will also be passed down to my grandson.  It will get a good cleaning as well.

pigture perfect

If you are a hunter at all, don't worry about shooting it occasionally. Use low brass ammo in it, but those are just a pleasure to shoot. By shooting it, you will be insuring that it is still in working order when you show it off.

It is a great thing you are doing by passing it along. A really great thing.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Haven't seen it mentioned so here's a quick reminder; you're not supposed to shoot steel shot in an all original Belgian A-5:

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=128
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

root_hawg

I got an old Winchester 97 that was my great grandpaws, made it all the way to me but I have no boys so some son in law is going to get a nice collection .... someday

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy