Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Searches Aren’t Science

Started by Razorfox, October 29, 2017, 03:29:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorfox

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on October 31, 2017, 09:00:48 am
It's also amazing how quickly we have become a mid-tier program in the eyes of our own fans.   This is a team that had a shot at playing for the NC in 2010 (foiled by $cam and some horrific refereeing in Auburn) and again in 2011 (ranked #3 in the final game of the season before folding in the 2nd half at #1 LSU).  Chalking it up to Petrino?    What about in 2006 when Reggie Fish fumbled away the SEC championship game?  Or 1998 with the Stoernover?   And those were in the BCS era, who knows how the chips would have fallen for those teams in the playoff system.  That is 2 legitimate NC shots in the past 7 years, 3 in the past 11, 4 in the past 19.   And all that with the horrific luck of a motorcycle accident, houston the circus monkey, and this misfire on Bielema.   And with our supposed recruiting handicap.  And our waaa waaa waaa super tough schedule. 

We just need "someone" to show some leadership, leverage our surprisingly amazing network of a coaching tree, and land a coach with a brain and some desire.

Every other team in the SEC has done just as well in that timeframe other than Vandy and Kentucky.  Those were blips on the radar, but we have gone back to our more historic average (actually, worse this year, which is why CBB should be on the hot seat). 

hogsanity

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on October 31, 2017, 09:48:30 am
We are historically and objectively a top 20 program. 

Not since joining the SEC.

IT is funny. On one hand, people want to act like 10 and 11 were the best seasons ever by Hog football, but then on the other hand they want to use seasons in the 60's and 70's to try to claim we are historically a top 20 program.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorfox

Quote from: hogsanity on October 31, 2017, 02:36:52 pm
Not since joining the SEC.

IT is funny. On one hand, people want to act like 10 and 11 were the best seasons ever by Hog football, but then on the other hand they want to use seasons in the 60's and 70's to try to claim we are historically a top 20 program.

First, let met say I WANT Arkansas to be a top 20 program (or better).  The reality is that we're just not unless you heavily weigh our best teams, which just happen to also be the furthest away in history.  Our fans seem willing to do that for Arkansas, but they don't want to do it for Army or Ivy League schools, right?  Because everybody knows that too many things have changed from the late 1800s and early 1900s (for Ivy League) and from the 1940s (for Army). 

Integration, population demographic shifts, high school football, conference re-alignments, etc. have all played a role in making it much harder for Arkansas to maintain a consistent top 20 or higher place in the CFB world.  It's not impossible, just very difficult and unlikely. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Razorfox on October 31, 2017, 02:56:55 pm

Integration, population demographic shifts, high school football, conference re-alignments, etc. have all played a role in making it much harder for Arkansas to maintain a consistent top 20 or higher place in the CFB world.  It's not impossible, just very difficult and unlikely. 

Actually, due to all the things you listed, it may very well be impossible for the Hogs to be a CONSISTENT top 20 team.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorfox

Quote from: hogsanity on October 31, 2017, 03:02:44 pm
Actually, due to all the things you listed, it may very well be impossible for the Hogs to be a CONSISTENT top 20 team.

For it to be possible, I think in some perfect world, we could get a super awesome coach with Arkansas ties (from the state or played here) that could come in early in his career, catch fire, and be one of the best coaches there is.  Then he'd need to decide to stay for an entire career and work hard to maintain a high level the whole time. 

Does that person even exist? 

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 31, 2017, 09:11:29 am
I'll throw this out there also.  Kevin Sumlin might be a better fit for Arkansas than he is for aTm.   I bet he would have us in a bowl every year and it would be fun to watch.
Go get him.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***