Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SIAP: Leadership Lacking !?

Started by hawginbigd1, January 19, 2017, 09:26:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/jan/19/razorbacks-lacked-leadership/

Can't seem to argue much with the story even if it was Bo.

This may not be a free article I don't know.

KlubhouseKonnected

I think that was really just stating the obvious.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Ironhawg

The first question that comes to mind after reading that is if Bielema was aware of this problem very early last spring why didn't he correct it then?  As Barney would say, why didn't he nip it in the bud?

hobhog

Quote from: Ironhawg on January 19, 2017, 09:39:34 am
The first question that comes to mind after reading that is if Bielema was aware of this problem very early last spring why didn't he correct it then?  As Barney would say, why didn't he nip it in the bud?

How do you do that exactly?

Big Boi

You have to have leaders on the team. The head coach can't be the only person holding players accountable.  If a team wants to succeed at a high level, the players have to hold players accountable.  CBB should be criticized for not recognizing leaders, and bringing them in the program.   

Hogwild

The first part in fixing a problem is admitting that you have one.  CBB isn't sugar coating it, he knows it is a problem and hopefully will take the right steps to correct the issues in the program.

PorkRinds

Yep. Talent is there. Need real team leadership. Players need to hold each other accountable instead of helping each other skirt accountability.

#1Fan

Quote from: hobhog on January 19, 2017, 09:55:01 am

That's what he gets paid $4 million to figure out.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Big Boi on January 19, 2017, 10:01:14 am
You have to have leaders on the team. The head coach can't be the only person holding players accountable.  If a team wants to succeed at a high level, the players have to hold players accountable.  CBB should be criticized for not recognizing leaders, and bringing them in the program.
It just so happens that many times in sports, the leaders are guys that are a little rough around the edges. The type of guys that we don't go after.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

gchamblee

Quote from: #1Fan on January 19, 2017, 10:36:11 am
That's what he gets paid $4 million to figure out.

Thats just a stupid way to look at it. You cant choose who your leaders are going to be. You have to wait until a natural leader emergences from the players on his own. I remember a couple years ago when Nick Saban had the same problem at Alabama and his hands were tied until one of the QB's emerged as a leader. He explained in a press conference why you cant just pick one, one has to pick themselves.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

When a guy is late for a meeting, the next practice he gets to run 100 yard dashes with a stinky old mattress on his back.

-phil

gchamblee

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 19, 2017, 10:37:32 am
It just so happens that many times in sports, the leaders are guys that are a little rough around the edges. The type of guys that we don't go after.

Nope

JIHawg

The writer mentioned two minor episodes in four years like the house is on fire.  To me he lost credibility right there.

Team implosions always are a combination of factors.  The defense not liking the defensive coordinator played a big role.  There were some players who felt like the best players were not playing.  That is the cancer aspect of what happened last year. 

Then there were not any seniors who "took charge".  The class as a whole was lacking in getting in the faces of each other and demanding excellence.  It was the opposite of the 1964 team, who were embarrassed about the 1963 season and took it upon themselves to make sure that didn't happen again.

This all can be fixed of course.

Piggfoot

Quote from: JIHawg on January 19, 2017, 10:48:01 am
The writer mentioned two minor episodes in four years like the house is on fire.  To me he lost credibility right there.

Team implosions always are a combination of factors.  The defense not liking the defensive coordinator played a big role.  There were some players who felt like the best players were not playing.  That is the cancer aspect of what happened last year. 

Then there were not any seniors who "took charge".  The class as a whole was lacking in getting in the faces of each other and demanding excellence.  It was the opposite of the 1964 team, who were embarrassed about the 1963 season and took it upon themselves to make sure that didn't happen again.

Minor episodes? Jeez. He used those two as examples of what he thinks happened this year not 1964 or 1963. Did you want him to write a book? Those teams are ancient history playing under different conditions. Those kids did not grow up in a trophy for everybody mentality.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Ironhawg

You have to have players emerge as leaders.  You can't appoint leaders.  That puts them in a tough position and they might not be the right choices anyway because of personality, etc.  But you should be able to see leadership potential and you encourage it.  Until your leaders emerge from among the players you set the tone for the organization yourself by holding people responsible.  Do you have coaches late for meetings?  They get a private counseling session.  Players late to meetings or events or practices?  The entire team gets reminded of doing things the right way.  If issues persist, you deal with each situation on a case-by-case basis.  For being late or missing workouts they would get special attention from the S&C coach until they decide that they are not above team rules.
I guess CBB was waiting on player leaders to correct problems.  When that didn't happen I just wonder why he didn't put the house in order himself?

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on January 19, 2017, 10:47:06 am
When a guy is late for a meeting, the next practice he gets to run 100 yard dashes with a stinky old mattress on his back.

-phil

When a player is late to a meeting, EVERYBODY in the meeting, or on that side of the ball gets to run til they puke. Players or a player, will then start making sure everybody is two to five minutes early for every meeting, there are your leaders for that group.

Sometimes they don't know they are leaders until it the situation presents itself.  I have identified leadership by leaving a crew to do a job or several jobs over the course of a few days, without naming who is in charge because everyone was on the same level seniority wise, the one that is calling me for help or giving me updates on the progress is who the crew is looking to for guidance. The rest of the crew either gives them the lead, or they just take it by default.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Pig in the Pokey

that article is spot on and a scary thing for coach B. He may not be on the hot seat for real as some have suggested all this time, up until these last 2 games, that is. He is officially on the hot seat with those last 2 games, meaning, he better figure out the leadership issue fast.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Oklahawg

Quote from: Big Boi on January 19, 2017, 10:01:14 am
Quote from: Hogwild on January 19, 2017, 10:30:10 am
The first part in fixing a problem is admitting that you have one.  CBB isn't sugar coating it, he knows it is a problem and hopefully will take the right steps to correct the issues in the program.
Quote from: JIHawg on January 19, 2017, 10:48:01 am

Quote from: gchamblee on January 19, 2017, 10:46:46 am
Thats just a stupid way to look at it. You cant choose who your leaders are going to be. You have to wait until a natural leader emergences from the players on his own. I remember a couple years ago when Nick Saban had the same problem at Alabama and his hands were tied until one of the QB's emerged as a leader. He explained in a press conference why you cant just pick one, one has to pick themselves.

Good posts.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Bo gets half of it - it is a leadership problem, but it is as player leadership problem. Coaches can only do so much.

Once you are "in season" (and that can even be spring) you are stuck with what you have. Who is trying to run summer "voluntary" workouts? Who is included? How are they run? Is the real leader doing the leading?

Since few of you coach at a high level the analogy of youth sports works: take the punk off of the team, the kid who is the best but does nothing to earn respect of the other players. The team will struggle, at first, but a good kid will eventually step forward and lead. And, you'll look up and because the synergy within the team is better they get better quicker. You'll soon be as good, if not better.

Problem with college football: you can't just boot a kid because they are a sour leader. The gap between seniors and 18-year old freshmen may be narrow in raw talent, but experience, camaraderie, and "life lived" give the older player a huge advantage. Your real UA leader may not have been on the field much this year - waiting impatiently, as it were, for someone in front to exit. The player who exits may have performed fine...as a player. But, they were not a leader off the field. Huge difference.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

jgphillips3

Parsing what Bielema has said in several interviews, he was caught flat footed.  He said the TL the outstanding on team leadership of the first three years made him believe the issues he saw were isolated and would be fine by the season and the players would once again step up.  He said that was a mistake that he will not make again.  He will "nip it in the bud" next time.  As some others have indicated, there wasn't much he could do in season short of benching these "leaders" which would have not helped either as some are apparently key contributors and a good replacement may not have been available this season but can be by next season.

PorkRinds

Personally I feel like Sprinkle was likely very unhappy with his role last season. He was supposed to be the next Hunter Henry and got stuck blocking because of the trrrible OL. This led to him not having a great season and likely losing focus. That means he was not being the leader he could or should have been. Just a guess.

Oklahawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 19, 2017, 02:04:00 pm
Personally I feel like Sprinkle was likely very unhappy with his role last season. He was supposed to be the next Hunter Henry and got stuck blocking because of the trrrible OL. This led to him not having a great season and likely losing focus. That means he was not being the leader he could or should have been. Just a guess.

Makes sense.

KlubhouseKonnected

But we were addicted to juice!!!
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

I have never been on a team where there wasn't one or more players who tended to go to the front and lead.  A few of those had no ability to lead other than thinking they could, but most of the time those players led by example.  Being first on the field and last off the field during practice.  Demanding that everyone run sprints for one's screw up, including themselves, of course.  Asking to run a play a few more times to be sure everyone had it down. 

Every coach I ever had could see those type players a mile away.  Every team has them, it just may be a bit harder to see it sometimes.  You may have to actually look.  I have never been on a team that didn't follow coaches lead.  If he was tough, demanding and had a tunnel vision approach, the team did also.  If he was laid back, late to practice, aloof, on his phone half the time in practice, so were they.  On occasion, you would have the stud, who thought he was the stud, try and place himself above the team.  The good coach sees this and either talks him off the high horse or he ends up going down the road and it ends up better for the team if he does.

There is a reason its called a team, one for all and all for one and that includes HC and staff, no exceptions.  Though many on Hogville dislike my postings, you can see this core poor leadership wrote all over this team and my postings have reflected this.  Its why they sometimes give up easily.  Why many coaches don't have a clue what they have below the first string and sometimes not even the first string.  Did you notice how we came out looking good after the Bye week.  Sure, we looked fresher but there was something else.  We looked like a team.  That lasted for one game but it did show this group had it in them if staff knew how to bring it out.  They didn't.  True teams have a great leader and that leader is followed.  This team has suffered some from this since John L.  It has gotten much worse in the past 2 years. 

ballz2thewall

when a team fails to compete like arkansas did; it's leadership.

the meltdowns were one thing, but the auburn throttling, though related, was altogether on a different scale.

not only was there no WILL to will, there was no desire to compete.

whatever was germinating went full-bloom versus auburn. i suppose corrective measures were employed, but we can see where that got us......

The rest of the frog.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 19, 2017, 09:26:49 am
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/jan/19/razorbacks-lacked-leadership/

Can't seem to argue much with the story even if it was Bo.

This may not be a free article I don't know.

We've been talking about this year since before the regular season ended. Really.
[CENSORED]!