Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN-Arkansas' biggest offseason need: Receiver

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, January 18, 2017, 06:07:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Sam Khan talks about who will fill the vacancies left by Drew Morgan, Keon Hatcher, Cody Hollister and Dominique Reed.

Breakdown: With Morgan, Hatcher, Hollister and Reed moving on, that's 168 combined receptions from the 2016 that Arkansas will lose. Cornelius, who will be a senior next season, caught 32 passes but is the only receiver with double-digit receptions who returns. The Razorbacks addressed the position heavily in their 2017 recruiting class, with two junior college receivers -- including Martin, the No. 1 junior college prospect in the nation and the No. 2 overall player in the ESPN JC 50 -- and four more prospects potential receiver prospects (three-star receiver Maleek Barkley is joined by a trio of athletes – De'Vion Warren, Jarrod Barnes and Koilan Jackson as potential pass-catchers).

More inside:
http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/126233/arkansas-biggest-offseason-need-receiver
Go Hogs Go!

King Kong

Having Nance and Martin in for the spring is going to huge

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on January 18, 2017, 07:02:48 am
I am more worried about the D.

EFBAB

You could copy and paste that response, and use it every year as far as I'm concerned.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

MuskogeeHogFan

EFBAB

The article mentions that but they still think it is at WR because of all the losses.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

January 18, 2017, 07:26:34 am #5 Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:49:36 am by Pork Twain

EFBAB
We have some depth on the defense, it was just not utilized to its fullest this year.  WR we are losing a lot so it makes sense that is an area for concern.  There is no other position on the team that we are losing a majority of our key players.  Other than Ellis, Wise and Ledbetter, who are we really losing on defense?  It is possible that we might actually have better players at their positions next year.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-releases-first-official-2016-depth-chart
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Ranger

So many more important deficiencies than WR....

Razorbackers

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 18, 2017, 06:07:31 am
Sam Khan talks about who will fill the vacancies left by Drew Morgan, Keon Hatcher, Cody Hollister and Dominique Reed.

Breakdown: With Morgan, Hatcher, Hollister and Reed moving on, that's 168 combined receptions from the 2016 that Arkansas will lose. Cornelius, who will be a senior next season, caught 32 passes but is the only receiver with double-digit receptions who returns. The Razorbacks addressed the position heavily in their 2017 recruiting class, with two junior college receivers -- including Martin, the No. 1 junior college prospect in the nation and the No. 2 overall player in the ESPN JC 50 -- and four more prospects potential receiver prospects (three-star receiver Maleek Barkley is joined by a trio of athletes – De'Vion Warren, Jarrod Barnes and Koilan Jackson as potential pass-catchers).

More inside:
http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/126233/arkansas-biggest-offseason-need-receiver

There's no doubt that we are losing talented upperclassmen at that position, but just like a good group of receivers can't make an offense, I don't think losing them will kill the O, either.

We've recruited well at WR and TE, and we'll have a senior QB with an experienced O-line and experienced backfield to take the pressure off the pass catchers. I don't see there being much of a drop off. Morgan and Hatcher are the real losses. Hollister was never a thing, and Reed provided a few big plays in his time, but not irreplaceable.

pa_rob424

One could argue that losses on the defense may actually be a plus.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 18, 2017, 07:26:34 am
We have some depth on the defense, it was just not utilized to its fullest this year.  WR we are losing a lot so it makes sense that is an area for concern.  There is no other position on the team that we are losing a majority of our key players.  Other than Ellis, Wise and Ledbetter, who are we really losing on defense?  It is possible that we might actually have better players at their positions next year.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-releases-first-official-2016-depth-chart

I know it's uncommon, but I really liked DJ dean and Collins at CB. Those guys have been pretty good at times and been 4 year players for us. Thank goodniess we hit good on pulley to slide in and lock down one side next year.

onebadrubi

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on January 18, 2017, 07:29:57 am
So many more important deficiencies than WR....

Well with Jackson and Martin coming I agree.  But before they signed this was a pretty big need. We must continue to become a true balance offense and without stuf receivers you can't do that.

Biggus Piggus

Boateng, Cornelius, Enlow, Jones, McClure, Pettway, Stewart

+

Martin, Nance, Barkley, Barnes, Jackson, Warren

Nothing is assured, other than Cornelius starting.

My guess is that McClure and Pettway play major roles next season, along with Martin and Jones.

McClure and Pettway have the size and strength to be good blockers. Will they get all the nuances?

Martin has a real chance to get into the rotation, coming in at semester. It will help Nance too, but I don't know if he is on the same talent level.

Stewart has been in the system for a while, but he's not very big + won't be able to handle some of the blocking requirements. That will limit his role to when the Hogs have three receivers on the field.

The coaches can't wait to get Jones into the mix.

Regardless of how many players are on this list, Arkansas is replacing seniors who took a huge number of snaps the past four seasons. Remember how "smoothly" the Hogs replaced Hunter Henry?
[CENSORED]!

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Razorbackers

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 18, 2017, 10:06:43 am

+

My guess is that McClure and Pettway play major roles next season, along with Martin and Jones.

McClure and Pettway have the size and strength to be good blockers. Will they get all the nuances?

Martin has a real chance to get into the rotation, coming in at semester. It will help Nance too, but I don't know if he is on the same talent level.

Stewart has been in the system for a while, but he's not very big + won't be able to handle some of the blocking requirements. That will limit his role to when the Hogs have three receivers on the field.

Regardless of how many players are on this list, Arkansas is replacing seniors who took a huge number of snaps the past four seasons. Remember how "smoothly" the Hogs replaced Hunter Henry?

Good points all around. However, I think that people had way too high of expectations for both Sprinkle and the WRs we had on the roster last year. Especially with the line being so inexperienced.

JS had to stay in and block more than the coaches had hoped. Look at the people we were replacing in 2015 and 2016, and then look at who we're replacing going into 2017. Instead of being all on one side of the ball (lost the 2014 defense, lost half the 2015 offense), we're losing guys much more evenly across the board, which I think will make the transition to 2017 easier.

Also, instead of losing a huge number of NFL players (2014 defense had 6 guys make an NFL roster, 2015 offense had 6 guys make an NFL roster) we're losing...not to be mean...but not a lot of draft-bound talent. Sprinkle, maybe Hatcher, probably Skipper, maybe Wise? Idk..just seems like the guys we're losing aren't going to be as detrimental as when we lost Phion/Spaight/Flowers or Kirkland/Tretola/Henry/Collins/Allen.

But, you're 100% correct that the experience these WRs had was invaluable. You can't replace that game time training. But these new receivers will have AA throwing at them, with a balanced rushing attack and a much more developed offensive line, which I think will help a lot.

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas's biggest offseason need: Defense (all positions).
[CENSORED]!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 18, 2017, 12:12:47 pm
Arkansas's biggest offseason need: Defense (all positions).

Nobody ever lost a game by giving up 0 points.

Lots of teams score 50 and still lose (see, TTech for example).

Best offense is a good defense.

Offense wins fans.  Defense wins championships.

That's it.  All tapped out on cliches for the moment.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas's defense needs to creep back toward respectability after an historic worst rushing defense like ever man.

Thirty-nine rushing touchdowns allowed.

Not that the pass defense was terrific. Opponents simply opted to take the easy running scores.

Arkansas's average yards allowed per pass attempt.

6.1 1970-76
6.0 1977-83
6.3 1984-89
7.2 1990-92
7.0 1993-97
6.5 1998-2007
7.3 2008-12
7.7 2013-16 -- including 8.2 in 2015, 7.8 in 2016
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas's average completion percentage allowed...

47% 1970-76
48% 1977-83
54% 1984-89
61% 1990-92
56% 1993-97
52% 1998-2007
57% 2008-12
61% 2013-16 - including 64% (2015), 59% (2016)
[CENSORED]!

Tejano Jawg

Sure, seeing all those WRs graduating will get your attention. And I remember thinking how strong we'd be at WR/TE coming into this past year...and they were solid (when Austin could get them the ball.) But I'm not super concerned.

I agree with Razorbackers (post 13) in that our receivers will have skill experience all around them. Especially at QB, but also an excellent running game that will force other defenses to keep an eye in our backfield. It's not a bad time to be a new receiver at Arkansas.

But yeah...the defense. When you're as far away as we were on that side of the ball, how can you not lose sleep over that? How many times did we all say—what if we just had an "average" defense?...make a few more stops, create a few more turnovers, just keep a few more teams out of the end zone, and we might have been in a top 6-8 bowl this year. No offense, no matter how good, can make up for a terrible D.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

italian9005

DeltaBoy

Razorback Football always under Construction since 1990.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jgphillips3

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on January 18, 2017, 12:10:28 pm
Obviously, espn failed to watch us play defense. Ever seen our linebacker play? Lol.

Did we play defense this season?

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

navyhog24

Arkansas' biggest offseason need: Firing Rory Segrest

hawginbigd1

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 18, 2017, 09:48:30 am
I know it's uncommon, but I really liked DJ dean and Collins at CB. Those guys have been pretty good at times and been 4 year players for us. Thank goodniess we hit good on pulley to slide in and lock down one side next year.
It has been sad watching Dean the last season and almost half, he was a beacon in the darkness until injury bug started hitting him.

hogcam

1highhog

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 18, 2017, 08:19:02 am
There's no doubt that we are losing talented upperclassmen at that position, but just like a good group of receivers can't make an offense, I don't think losing them will kill the O, either.

We've recruited well at WR and TE, and we'll have a senior QB with an experienced O-line and experienced backfield to take the pressure off the pass catchers. I don't see there being much of a drop off. Morgan and Hatcher are the real losses. Hollister was never a thing, and Reed provided a few big plays in his time, but not irreplaceable.

I don't see an experienced Oline, I see a great one in Ragnow who could have went pro, the rest just patchwork guys.  Allen will be running for his life again this year  as much as this past season with and inexperienced WR group but a good group that I'm not as worried about as any part as our defense.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 18, 2017, 06:07:31 am

More inside:

Defense and Oline way ahead of receiver
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

davehog

Quote from: JOKERHOG on January 18, 2017, 05:46:04 pm
Defense and Oline way ahead of receiver

I agree that defense is ahead of WR, but I'm an admitted optimist and think the O line will be a strength of the team next season.  You basically have 4.5 returning starters as Colton Jackson started a few games. 

The playing experience and having another round of spring practice should make this unit more cohesive. 

bennyl08

LB and OL the team isn't losing players. We have the bodies there. Just need experience and development which they got last season and should be much improved heading into their second year as starters.

3 biggest areas of need due to physical losses of players

WR: Lose Hatcher, Morgan, Hollister, Reed.
DE: Lose Wise Jr, Winston, Lewis (Ledbetter, DE/DT hybrid).
CB: Lose Collins, Dean
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

JOKERHOG

We still have to shore up the offensive line.  We need many more bodies there. 
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: italian9005 on January 18, 2017, 12:58:06 pm
We will be rebuilding again don't worry
Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 18, 2017, 01:54:04 pm
Razorback Football always under Construction since 1990.
We reload here at Arkansas.  CBB is giving us something we've never had before.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

bennyl08

Quote from: JOKERHOG on January 19, 2017, 07:04:44 pm
We still have to shore up the offensive line.  We need many more bodies there.

16 players there currently with 3 commits for 2017 plus 2017 walk-ons.

At least 11 current scholly players (not counting skipper) plus the 3 incoming schollys gives us nearly an entire 3 deep at the position.

How many do you need for a position that teams rarely sub unless injury due to the chemistry of the line working as a single unit? 4 deep?

OT: Jackson, Heinrich, Ramirez, Wallace, Wagner, Adcock, Clenin who can all play there.
OG:  Heinrich,  Froholdt, Gibson, Merrick, Malone, Raulerson, Ragnow, Rogers, as well as any of the tackles.
C: Ragnow, Rogers, Raulerson

Here's what the depth chart could look like with just scholarship players.

LT: Ramirez, Jackson, Adcock
LG: Froholdt, Heinrich, Merrick
C: Ragnow, Rogers
RG: Gibson, Raulerson, Malone
RT: Wallace, Clenin, Wagner

Now, yeah, we need to add more players there for future years because many of these players are upperclassmen. However, next season, we are fine with the # of bodies we have on scholarship. We lose 4 scholarship players next season, and that will just put us with 10 total which is just barely enough for a complete two-deep without reputation.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Calling All Hogs

EFBAB
It is probably beyond most writers comprehension that a defense as bad as ours can ever be fixed. The writer of the article probably means WR is an important position because Arkansas has to score on most possessions to even be in a game.   

Al Boarland

Quote from: pa_rob424 on January 18, 2017, 08:19:34 am
One could argue that losses on the defense may actually be a plus.
True, but you would have to be able to convince people the next man up would be better. Or you could just say it can't get any worse.

al_pigcino

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 12:18:16 pm
Nobody ever lost a game by giving up 0 points.

Lots of teams score 50 and still lose (see, TTech for example).

Best offense is a good defense.

Offense wins fans.  Defense wins championships.

That's it.  All tapped out on cliches for the moment.
Times have changed.  This isn't 1970.  Even Bama saw the writing on the wall and went and got a hot shot OC in Kiffin.  If it were defense winning championships they would stick to power I and run nonstop to eat the clock (like Arkansas).  Offensive schemes are ahead of defense at our current generation.  Hence the disparity between teams like Baylor and teams like Bama.  Talent alone isn't enough.  Scheme alone isn't enough. 

ballhogger

+

Next year I think we will only use 2 receivers majority of the time.  We used a lot of 3 receiver sets this past year and with Cantrell, O' Grady, Patton, Krauss, and Gunter I think they will be the stronger group at least early.  Although I do think w will have some good receivers just not as proven.  If I am taking a guess at our top 5 I would say Cornelius, Pettway, Stewart, Martin, Nance.  That last one is just a guess.  Well, all of them are guesses for that matter.

ballhogger

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 19, 2017, 08:00:36 pm
16 players there currently with 3 commits for 2017 plus 2017 walk-ons.

At least 11 current scholly players (not counting skipper) plus the 3 incoming schollys gives us nearly an entire 3 deep at the position.

How many do you need for a position that teams rarely sub unless injury due to the chemistry of the line working as a single unit? 4 deep?

OT: Jackson, Heinrich, Ramirez, Wallace, Wagner, Adcock, Clenin who can all play there.
OG:  Heinrich,  Froholdt, Gibson, Merrick, Malone, Raulerson, Ragnow, Rogers, as well as any of the tackles.
C: Ragnow, Rogers, Raulerson

Here's what the depth chart could look like with just scholarship players.

LT: Ramirez, Jackson, Adcock
LG: Froholdt, Heinrich, Merrick
C: Ragnow, Rogers
RG: Gibson, Raulerson, Malone
RT: Wallace, Clenin, Wagner

Now, yeah, we need to add more players there for future years because many of these players are upperclassmen. However, next season, we are fine with the # of bodies we have on scholarship. We lose 4 scholarship players next season, and that will just put us with 10 total which is just barely enough for a complete two-deep without reputation.

When it is put on paper like this it makes me feel a whole lot better about our overall depth at the line's position.  We are slowly but surely building quality depth.

LZH

bennyl08

Quote from: ballhogger on January 20, 2017, 08:50:14 am
When it is put on paper like this it makes me feel a whole lot better about our overall depth at the line's position.  We are slowly but surely building quality depth.

It has been an issue for us. For example, this year, instead of 14, we only had 11 scholarship athletes (Gibson was put on scholarship at the end of the season).

So, I was probably a bit too harsh in the reply, though in 2018, we'll be down to 10+whoever we sign that year. Let's say we sign 4 OL players next season so that in 2018 we have 14 again. That would bring us to 14 sure, but 7 of the 14 would be <2 years here at the program. So, it isn't just a numbers game.

goodguytex

+

We may be throwing to our TEs and backs a little more until the newbies get a little more experience in them. And that would make sense too.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: goodguytex on January 22, 2017, 05:43:09 am
We may be throwing to our TEs and backs a little more until the newbies get a little more experience in them. And that would make sense too.

This is just a guess, but I would expect that AA will be looking to Cornelius first as he drops back. We have seen other QB's sometimes have a laser-like focus on other WR's that they felt comfortable with to begin a season. I do think that we have enough talent at WR that they will learn how to bend routes between coverage levels when facing a zone. Biggest challenge may be learning (at this level) how to fight off man coverage, gain separation and make catches in traffic and secure the ball first before running, knowing you are likely to get smacked.

Question is, do we have more speed across the board when we put 3 receivers on the field, than we have in past? We might have had one real "speed" guy on the field in the past...can we have three?

Another important consideration is whether these WR's will be fundamentally sound in being committed to block effectively? In this offense you know that they stand a greater chance of seeing the field if they are willing to block as well.

Maybe we will know more in the spring.
Go Hogs Go!

goodguytex

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 22, 2017, 06:23:49 am
This is just a guess, but I would expect that AA will be looking to Cornelius first as he drops back. We have seen other QB's sometimes have a laser-like focus on other WR's that they felt comfortable with to begin a season. I do think that we have enough talent at WR that they will learn how to bend routes between coverage levels when facing a zone. Biggest challenge may be learning (at this level) how to fight off man coverage, gain separation and make catches in traffic and secure the ball first before running, knowing you are likely to get smacked.

Question is, do we have more speed across the board when we put 3 receivers on the field, than we have in past? We might have had one real "speed" guy on the field in the past...can we have three?

Another important consideration is whether these WR's will be fundamentally sound in being committed to block effectively? In this offense you know that they stand a greater chance of seeing the field if they are willing to block as well.

Maybe we will know more in the spring.
But as you know it takes time to become efficient at the blocking, and the timing and route running. For the beginning of the season, no doubt Cornelius will be the go to receiver. He has to be. But the backs and TEs will have to be more involved than ever in the passing game. There's no choice.

Philibuster

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: goodguytex on January 22, 2017, 07:25:36 am
But as you know it takes time to become efficient at the blocking, and the timing and route running. For the beginning of the season, no doubt Cornelius will be the go to receiver. He has to be. But the backs and TEs will have to be more involved than ever in the passing game. There's no choice.

True, it sometimes takes time. What we need are some guys who can step in and make an immediate impact. Really, that is why you go the JC route. Those guys aren't supposed to need as much development as HS players so we need both Martin and Nance to come in and find a way to be in the rotation right out of the chutes.

And, Pettway needs to step it up and contribute at a higher level this year as well. At 6-2, 216 he possesses the necessary size to fight off DB's and block. McClure as well has been given some time to develop and re-orient to football and from what I have heard, is a pretty good athlete. At 6-2, 220 he should be able to do both as well.

Koilan Jackson already has the size as well at 6-3, 207 as a true freshman, but I don't know how much development time he is going to need.

And what about Kofi Boateng? I have no idea how he is coming along and I haven't heard.
Go Hogs Go!