Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like it's going to be Paul Rhoads

Started by grayhawg, January 16, 2017, 09:59:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

colbs

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 16, 2017, 10:40:52 pm
Never ever will say this a good hire until he shows us something.  On the staff that allowed most yards per game in history of the Razorbacks. Now because he's the dc we are supposed to be ok with this?  No forget this guy. He needs to prove his place.
Good thing HV doesn't require posters to prove their place.  It could end up being s bad hire but on paper it's a solid hire.  Yes he was part of the staff but his boss was Robb Smith.  It's not like he could say "Hey I know you are the DC but we need to do it this way."

4me2know

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 16, 2017, 10:25:13 pm
This guy gets it.  No recruit is going to be drawn to this crapstorm of ex coaches. No way the guy was behind our secondary last year.  This is a bad hire.
So says the Mormon.. Oops I meant moron.

The Boar War

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on January 16, 2017, 10:32:29 pm
Great hire. He did an excellent job as DC at Pitt and his short stint at Auburn. Apparently the players respect and like him and he's already familiar with the program and players so the adjustment will be a lot less. 
Surprised some people on here are negative about this hire.

I am happy to have Rhoads on staff.  Negative is not really what I would use to describe my opinion of the hire.  I hope he's able to turn it around.  I'd feel a lot better about it if I hadn't just watched a terrible 3-8 football team torch his secondary.

tophawg19

I think the thing on everyone's mind is that this didn't improve recruiting . now i expect to hear if he's so good , why didn't anyone else try to hire him. personally i liked him over Diaco .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

braxhog

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 16, 2017, 10:40:52 pm
Never ever will say this a good hire until he shows us something.  On the staff that allowed most yards per game in history of the Razorbacks. Now because he's the dc we are supposed to be ok with this?  No forget this guy. He needs to prove his place.
Understood, but there is a difference in being a defensive assistant and the guy who implements the schemes and makes the calls. Maybe Rhoads will bring a new energy along with new schemes. I can understand your sentiment though. We live in a show-me world and the defensive definitely needs to produce them results.

JIHawg

Kudos to FANONTHEHILL.  He called this one a few days ago.  Pay attention to his posts if you don't know that already.

Hawg Life

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 16, 2017, 10:48:00 pm
I think the thing on everyone's mind is that this didn't improve recruiting . now i expect to hear if he's so good , why didn't anyone else try to hire him. personally i liked him over Diaco .

How do you know no one tried to hire him?

Großer Kriegschwein

This wasn't a terrible hire. He has a short time to figure it out.
This is my non-signature signature.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: factchecker on January 16, 2017, 10:27:18 pm
https://twitter.com/ArRecruitingGuy/status/819717218908901380

Whaaaaat?! No. No. No. No. No. No! Hogville SAYS that players are NOT excited about CPR, dagnabbit! Why would I listen to some recruit...? Psssssh...remove this rubbish...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

onebadrubi

A DB coach is responsible for the front 7 getting thrashed and the DC not bringing down extra players in the box to help?  A DB coach is responsible for the DE's and OLB's unable to set an edge? 

Look, I've been vocal on here with questions regarding Rhoads being our DC.  His defenses have had problems stopping the run late in games and had issues with physical teams. He appears to have some answers we didn't against spread teams so that is a plus.  Good easily be a good mariiage with him and Bielema for those exact reasons, we won't know for some time.

What we do know is recruits like him, he helped hold on to Brown!  We also know we are still in the market for another coach, probably 2 if they pass this 10th coach rule.

Hawg Life

Quote from: The Boar War on January 16, 2017, 10:46:53 pm
I am happy to have Rhoads on staff.  Negative is not really what I would use to describe my opinion of the hire.  I hope he's able to turn it around.  I'd feel a lot better about it if I hadn't just watched a terrible 3-8 football team torch his secondary.

Personally, I blame Segrest. Our DL play was abysmal, and was supposed to be a strength.

Hog Solo

Good luck fellas.  I love the suckling the sheeple do to any new hire. This is by far the most egregious, this guy was on staff last year.  The secondary was crap.  Good luck fans??

Hogs958

Quote from: The Boar War on January 16, 2017, 10:46:53 pm

I think Robb Smith was responsible for this. His schemes were terrible. There were times where the secondary looked much better...better tackling, and they looked quicker. They were just out of place too much. That was on CRS.

hobhog

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 16, 2017, 10:25:13 pm
This guy gets it.  No recruit is going to be drawn to this crapstorm of ex coaches. No way the guy was behind our secondary last year.  This is a bad hire.

Hog Solo is FCJ. Has anyone ever seen them together?

The Boar War

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 16, 2017, 10:50:12 pm
Personally, I blame Segrest. Our DL play was abysmal, and was supposed to be a strength.

Well maybe that will be taken care of.  But as for now he's still the DL coach.

Hawg Life

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 16, 2017, 10:50:00 pm
A DB coach is responsible for the front 7 getting thrashed and the DC not bringing down extra players in the box to help?  A DB coach is responsible for the DE's and OLB's unable to set an edge? 

Look, I've been vocal on here with questions regarding Rhoads being our DC.  His defenses have had problems stopping the run late in games and had issues with physical teams. He appears to have some answers we didn't against spread teams so that is a plus.  Good easily be a good mariiage with him and Bielema for those exact reasons, we won't know for some time.

What we do know is recruits like him, he helped hold on to Brown!  We also know we are still in the market for another coach, probably 2 if they pass this 10th coach rule.

If we're lucky we'll hire a new LB & DL coach too.

RME

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 16, 2017, 10:50:30 pm
Good luck fellas.  I love the suckling the sheeple do to any new hire. This is by far the most egregious, this guy was on staff last year.  The secondary was crap.  Good luck fans??

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

The Boar War

Quote from: Hogs958 on January 16, 2017, 10:50:54 pm
I think Robb Smith was responsible for this. His schemes were terrible. There were times where the secondary looked much better...better tackling, and they looked quicker. They were just out of place too much. That was on CRS.

Maybe.  Hopefully that's the case.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 16, 2017, 10:52:04 pm
If we're lucky we'll hire a new LB & DL coach too.

A complete new defensive staff is troublesome. You will have first year issues arise at key moments no doubt when doing that. But after last year, it's hard to argue with cleaning house like that.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: braxhog on January 16, 2017, 10:48:19 pm
Understood, but there is a difference in being a defensive assistant and the guy who implements the schemes and makes the calls. Maybe Rhoads will bring a new energy along with new schemes. I can understand your sentiment though. We live in a show-me world and the defensive definitely needs to produce them results.

This guy gets it. Our defense has not played with passion/energy on defense for a while. But what I noticed the most about PR when he was hired was the video from Iowa St about his tenure someone posted and he's about the most passionate coach I've seen. Pretty moving actually. Hope he installs some of that motivation into our defense.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Hogs958

Quote from: The Boar War on January 16, 2017, 10:52:45 pm
Maybe.  Hopefully that's the case.

I also hope more changes are coming as well. We'll see.

hobhog

I like the move. Rhoads is an experienced and energetic coach and players like him. We will see what recruits think but I think defense will respond to his energy. Let's see what happens next on staff.

WPS.

Hogs958

there's a reason he was hired as HC of Iowa State. He's a legit defensive coach.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 16, 2017, 10:50:30 pm

Whoa. Does this mean you're leaving???
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

tophawg19

next question is how much of the D/C job will be Rhoads and how much will be CBB .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

WilsonHog

Pardon me if I put more stock in the opinions of people who actually know the game than I do a couple of message board posters.

It's the difference between actual credibility and perceived credibility.

snoblind

Whoever stole Solo's crayons needs to give them back.  It's obvious he's short a few.

Sooie71923

If Rhoads wasn't already on staff hogville would be wetting themselves.

a0ashle

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 16, 2017, 11:01:41 pm
next question is how much of the D/C job will be Rhoads and how much will be CBB .

Ahh, the make believe argument that CBB is a meddler is still going strong I see. Up until the defense does well, that is.

Hog Solo

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on January 16, 2017, 11:01:40 pm
Whoa. Does this mean you're leaving???

Wouldn't you love that.  I'm a fan, but I'm not a fan enough to allow smoke to blow up my ass and be ok with it.  This hire is crap, anyone that doesn't have the least amount of of hesitation about it should check their fan card. 

soooieman

Solo really understands the game. Everybody knows when the opposing qb has 10 seconds to throw it doesn't matter if the All Madden team is back there. Bad D line = bad secondary. Wait, Solo you do know this right? Please?

Hog Solo

Quote from: soooieman on January 16, 2017, 11:10:14 pm
Solo really understands the game. Everybody knows when the opposing qb has 10 seconds to throw it doesn't matter if the All Madden team is back there. Bad D line = bad secondary. Wait, Solo you do know this right? Please?

Pretty sure Rhoades allowed the 10 yard cushion...  But let's be blind for a new hire that was in the works for over a year.  The only hesitation bielema had on Rhoades was because how poor his secondary was this year. 

jgphillips3

CPR is a good to very good defensive coordinator.  I think he will do well.  Now, hopefully, CBB will let him bring in a position coach or two that suit his needs on the defensive side of the ball. 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: a0ashle on January 16, 2017, 11:09:52 pm
Ahh, the make believe argument that CBB is a meddler is still going strong I see. Up until the defense does well, that is.
You may be going a little too far on this one, nobody will ever convince me Dan Enos is responsible for the plays and formations we run inside the 5 yard line. We have done the same things there since JLS left, there is really only one constant in that mix and it is CBB!

TheEnemy

I like the hire.

If we had passed on him someone else would have hired in in the next year or two and we would have been saying what if.

No more excuses....no more blame....time to crap or get off the pot and start competing at a higher level.  6-7 win seasons isn't cutting it.

The Boar War

Quote from: Sooie71923 on January 16, 2017, 11:07:59 pm
If Rhoads wasn't already on staff hogville would be wetting themselves.

True. 

factchecker

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 16, 2017, 11:17:50 pm
You may be going a little too far on this one, nobody will ever convince me Dan Enos is responsible for the plays and formations we run inside the 5 yard line. We have done the same things there since JLS left, there is really only one constant in that mix and it is CBB!

First time I'd seen this play:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

braxhog

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 16, 2017, 11:15:35 pm
Pretty sure Rhoades allowed the 10 yard cushion...  But let's be blind for a new hire that was in the works for over a year.  The only hesitation bielema had on Rhoades was because how poor his secondary was this year. 
Pretty sure the cushions were part of Smith's scheme, not Rhoads'. What, do you expect him to tell his secondary to play one way even though the D.C. calls for something else? He was the corners coach, not the DC. The blame can be placed on Smith for his scheme. As corner coach, Pulley has emerged as one of the best corners we have had in some time. A lot of y'all seem to be placing blame on Rhoads instead of, you know, the guy who was calling the plays.

TheEnemy

How can you know?

Robb Smith was the DC and also a secondary coach.....and we were playing 10 yard cushions before Rhoads arrived.

Also Rhoads didn't have Ellis trying to drop in coverage on passing situations.  Never understood that philosophy on 3rd and long.

factchecker

Defensive calls are made from the DC.  Paul Rhoads made 0 calls this season.  He was in the booth.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jkstock04

Quote from: a0ashle on January 16, 2017, 11:09:52 pm
Starting year 5 this will be the 3rd DC under Bielema. The two prior leaving due to supposed inadequacies. Is he simply bad at choosing coaches? Or are his fingerprints on these defenses and he is more of a meddler vs the CEO coach so often associated with him?

I tend to believe the latter...but just my opinion. One thing is for sure...at some point the revolving door of coordinators for appeasement isn't going to work anymore. The irony of the Rob Smith situation from 2014 "one of the best DC's in the country" to 2016 is comical.

Right now the fan base thinks the world of Dan Enos. What happens if qb play & the offense tank next year? Fire Dan Enos? Problem solved? You bet.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The Boar War

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 16, 2017, 11:17:50 pm

I think it depends on the definition of meddling.  No head coach completely turns over offensive and defensive game plans.  Petrino drew up both the offensive and defensive plays while he was here.  If memory serves me he took over in game defensive strategy during the aTm game in 2011.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if Bielema had offensive and defensive parameters for his team.  If you remember Robb Smith blitzed the heck out of us in 2012.  When he returned as dc he had some of the same philosophies that Chris Ash had.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

JIHawg

He has had a year with these players.  That gives him a tremendous advantage.  He knows the strengths and weaknesses.  He knows the current system.  A new coach would have to start at ground zero.  He is far ahead of anybody else we could bring in.

Wildhog

At least it's official.  Now go get Partridge.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

duckman

If anyone thinks CPR was brought in last year without this being the end result you're nuts.  Like someone said earlier, if he were hired off the street for this position Hogville would be collectively wetting themselves.  He is as good as we could get, that includes Diaco...

duckman

The Boar War

The Boar War

I can't see where Partridge and Rhoads have worked together in the past.  Not that it really matters.  Interestingly his DC/ LB coach and DL coach at Iowa State were a father son team:  Wally and Shane Burnham.  Wally is retired and Shane is the DL coach at Rutgers.