Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

There are no quick fixes. But....

Started by TOM "tbw1", January 16, 2017, 10:33:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 16, 2017, 07:24:14 pm
Saban couldn't "quick fix" this program and at the end of a few years he would retire and we would only be remembered as the last program that Saban coached prior to retiring and we would be out what? 80-100 million? Beyond that, he wouldn't take this job. Too many limitations that he isn't accustomed to having to deal with.

Not to mention we don't have the right "boosters" willing to play the types of games he probably wants behind the scenes.

LAHOG1962

I really enjoy reading you 2 Oklahoma guys posts. Yall make a lot of sense.

Dominicanhog

Saban couldn't "quick fix" this program and at the end of a few years he would retire and we would only be remembered as the last program that Saban coached prior to retiring and we would be out what? 80-100 million? Beyond that, he wouldn't take this job. Too many limitations that he isn't accustomed to having to deal with.

I agree with your entire set of post in this thread, well said.... but I disagree with a piece of this one... we'd be a winner next year and every year until he did retire... We've let games slip away, and lost to some lesser teams that I don't think Nick would have lost.. We should/could have won 9 last year and close to the same the previous 2 years... start putting 9-10 win seasons together and your in the polls and considered a winner...  We've fumbled too many opportunities the last few years.. hopefully we've turned the corner.. I agree next year is pivitol

I am not saying that I have all the answers nor do I know the NCAA rules to perfection.  They do allow more than one practice per day before school starts in the fall.  I have never heard of limiting when a player can practice just that it should be limited to 2 hours per day primarily so they can also be a student. 

If you are in business and have a sales person or persons who cannot sell to a high degree but they work their buns off trying, the sales manager usually works with that person(s) to assist them directly in those things that might help them become successful.  And often that works wonders.  Even if you separated the players into groups before the season starts and during the spring on Saturday and maybe Sunday for special assistance in groups where everyone gets some real coaching one on one I think it would help.  This type training usually works in nearly every endeavor where effort and knowledge is required. 

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on January 16, 2017, 07:45:11 pm
I am not saying that I have all the answers nor do I know the NCAA rules to perfection.  They do allow more than one practice per day before school starts in the fall.  I have never heard of limiting when a player can practice just that it should be limited to 2 hours per day primarily so they can also be a student. 

If you are in business and have a sales person or persons who cannot sell to a high degree but they work their buns off trying, the sales manager usually works with that person(s) to assist them directly in those things that might help them become successful.  And often that works wonders.  Even if you separated the players into groups before the season starts and during the spring on Saturday and maybe Sunday for special assistance in groups where everyone gets some real coaching one on one I think it would help.  This type training usually works in nearly every endeavor where effort and knowledge is required. 

Study up here, obviously you couldn't find it on your own.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/20-Hour-Rule-Document.pdf

Dominicanhog

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on January 16, 2017, 07:52:04 pm
Study up here, obviously you couldn't find it on your own.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/20-Hour-Rule-Document.pdf

Where is the NCAA bylaw about fire in the belly regulations?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ballz2thewall

here's a quick fix

agim at linebacker. where ever he wants to be on the field....
The rest of the frog.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 16, 2017, 12:27:33 pm
I honestly believe it is more a matter of wanting to prove they were right.  They have gone all in for the current AD and coach and admitting the program is going down the toilet would be admitting the leadership they have so vehemently supported doesn't know what it is doing.

correct, they have been exposed as blind followers and will never admit what many of us have known for a looong time
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

PorkSoda

January 16, 2017, 08:42:22 pm #59 Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 08:59:16 pm by PorkSoda
Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2017, 12:34:14 pm
I mean, there are posters that have been just awful to anyone that has any negative opinion about the current staff.  No way they'll admit being wrong.  They're going down with the ship.
and there are posters that have a completely unrealistic expectation of our football program.

CBB isn't a world beater, but ,through his contract, has been given significant time to rebuild the program.

so let him do his job.  by 2020 things will be much better programatically than after smiley and his buyout will be a very doable 4mil.

if he isn't winning at a high level by then, the letting him go will be the sensible business decision.

but dropping 15 mil and turning around and hiring an unproven coach is not a sensible business decision.

its something that over emotion football fans think of.

and honestly its not that crazy of a time line.  3-4 years to pull the program out of the gutter and 3-4 years to improve it.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

zuko

Quick fix? Are you kidding. What is holding Bielema her?, It's the buyout. Long went overboard on the contract to begin with since he was hoodwinked by a record that wouldn't stand up in the SEC. SEC teams require SEC blood. I see a repeat next year because Bielema can't recruit and he fits  right in with the coaches here since Anderson can't either.

Oklahawg

Truth.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

LJHOG

We've been in the SEC for 20+ years.  Apparently there is no long-term fix either.  We are just as non-competitive today as the first day we joined the conference.

Pork Twain

Quote from: LJHOG on January 17, 2017, 12:04:33 pm
We've been in the SEC for 20+ years.  Apparently there is no long-term fix either.  We are just as non-competitive today as the first day we joined the conference.
Some are having a really hard time accepting that, which is odd because for many on this board, that is all they have ever known.  I am at peace with the fact that other than the two Oklahomos in this thread, Biggus and a few others, people just come on here to bitch and complain about everything.  The aforementioned fellers are pretty balanced and I always enjoy reading their balanced posts, even when I disagree.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hog.goblin

Quote from: LJHOG on January 17, 2017, 12:04:33 pm

Damn that hurts.

Thank you sir, may I have another!

PorkSoda

Quote from: zuko on January 16, 2017, 10:29:55 pm
Quick fix? Are you kidding. What is holding Bielema her?, It's the buyout. Long went overboard on the contract to begin with since he was hoodwinked by a record that wouldn't stand up in the SEC. SEC teams require SEC blood. I see a repeat next year because Bielema can't recruit and he fits  right in with the coaches here since Anderson can't either.
Long is a good AD business wise, but he has zero ability to evaluate coaching talent.  even if he did fire BB, who would he replace him with?  I don't expect him to be able to make a top notch hire, so we might as well stick with what we have and hope for the best.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 16, 2017, 07:43:39 pm
... we'd be a winner next year and every year until he did retire...

define "winner" is it winning more games than you lose? Is it making a ny6 bowl? You say we would be winner next year and every year until he ( saban ) did retire. Ok, winner of what?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Losing Hunter AC and Kirkland hurt the O more than anybody willing to admit.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 17, 2017, 01:41:28 pm
define "winner" is it winning more games than you lose? Is it making a ny6 bowl? You say we would be winner next year and every year until he ( saban ) did retire. Ok, winner of what?

I did define it in the post... go back a see..

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 17, 2017, 02:02:52 pm
Losing Hunter AC and Kirkland hurt the O more than anybody willing to admit.

Amen
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Oklahawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 17, 2017, 12:24:23 pm
Some are having a really hard time accepting that, which is odd because for many on this board, that is all they have ever known.  I am at peace with the fact that other than the two Oklahomos in this thread, Biggus and a few others, people just come on here to bitch and complain about everything.  The aforementioned fellers are pretty balanced and I always enjoy reading their balanced posts, even when I disagree.

Should I say "thanks"? :)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

mhsbc59

I'll say this there are 130 some D1 programs 65 P5 teams there is only one champion.  Everyone wants to win and win very badly.  So bad that billions are made and spent.  Everyone works hard it not just a matter of working hard. It takes time and hard work over time. Rome was not built in a day.  And if you change the architect every few years you end up with the just a big mess and not a well oiled machine.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Ricepig, Dominicanhog and factchecker:::::Thanks Rice, for putting those rules right where I could find them.  I hadn't tried to find them but admit, as bad as I am on a computer, I likely wouldn't, couldn't have.

I actually looked over these rules twice as I am a bit slow on things.  I didn't find one area, paragraph, sentence or word NOT ALLOWING the coaching staff to break up the players and coaching groups of these players at different times of the day so long as none were removed from class to attend.  Making smaller groups was EXACTLY what I suggested and nowhere is it not allowed so long as the player stays within the allowed time allotted by the NCAA rules on daily and weekly allowance.

NO WHERE in the regs you provided does it mention that a coach has limits on what hours he can work.  FOR EXAMPLE:  The staff could take the entire first team and the first team only and work them in the morning, not exceed their allowed work time and then later in the same day, take the remaining players and work them out, so long as they did not exceed the allotted time allowed for the players by NCAA rules.

I certainly could be wrong or, on the other hand, Rice, you could be wrong, Dominicanhog you could be a dunce and factchecker, you might learn about fire in the belly as in a staff of coaches really working their asses off to improve this team, showing a little fire in the belly.

I have been a Hog fan long enough see us be a NC team, a top 5 team, a top 10 team and stay in the top 20 to 25 for several years running.  But that was long ago.  I have been a Hog fan long enough see us go years on end without getting gang raped on the field even once, mush less 3 or 4 times in one season.  I have been a Hog fan long enough to realize that today, it is much more difficult to maintain those levels and we don't. 

Even in todays situation, the Razorback Football team should be capable of averaging 8 wins per season over a 10 year period and win half of their bowls on top of that.  This could include a couple of 7 win seasons and a 10 or 11 win season or 2, bowl included.  If and when we get the correct chemistry and coaching and administration leadership all at the same time, if we ever do, that can and will happen. 

We are not the scrap for a 6 or 7 win season team that many promote and many of you have no reason to believe different, having never seen better except for a mere 2 year period recently  We have more potential than we are showing.  We pay for more potential than we are getting.  We build structure for more potential than we are getting.  It is out there.  It will take a better combination than it would have 30 years ago.  It will take not getting BLOWED out of the water 3 or 4 times annually.  We should be competitive in 90 percent of the games we play.  There will likely be 1 or 2 teams annually in the SEC that can just beat us by 20 plus and us doing our best.  OK if we are doing our best.  But we shouldn't be getting beat by the annual doormat at all and we shouldn't be getting beat by any team trailing us by 17 at the half short of 4 or 5 major injuries in the second half on our team.   Our reasonable potential can be reached but it will take:  A LITTLE FIRE IN THE BELLY TO GET IT.

oldhawg

Would like to hear an objective opinion about Kurt Anderson.  Has he lived up to his billing as an offensive line coach?  Are the Razorbacks in good hands there moving forward?  Is he well received on the recruiting trail?  Is he having success recruiting potentially dominant lineman?  Is he a good "fit" with the current coaching staff, and with the players?  Just wondering about these things.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: 12247 on January 17, 2017, 10:16:56 pm
Ricepig, Dominicanhog and factchecker:::::Thanks Rice, for putting those rules right where I could find them.  I hadn't tried to find them but admit, as bad as I am on a computer, I likely wouldn't, couldn't have.

I actually looked over these rules twice as I am a bit slow on things.  I didn't find one area, paragraph, sentence or word NOT ALLOWING the coaching staff to break up the players and coaching groups of these players at different times of the day so long as none were removed from class to attend.  Making smaller groups was EXACTLY what I suggested and nowhere is it not allowed so long as the player stays within the allowed time allotted by the NCAA rules on daily and weekly allowance.

NO WHERE in the regs you provided does it mention that a coach has limits on what hours he can work.  FOR EXAMPLE:  The staff could take the entire first team and the first team only and work them in the morning, not exceed their allowed work time and then later in the same day, take the remaining players and work them out, so long as they did not exceed the allotted time allowed for the players by NCAA rules.

I certainly could be wrong or, on the other hand, Rice, you could be wrong, Dominicanhog you could be a dunce and factchecker, you might learn about fire in the belly as in a staff of coaches really working their asses off to improve this team, showing a little fire in the belly.

well, I do resemble that remark... so maybe..

mhsbc59

Quote from: 12247 on January 17, 2017, 10:16:56 pm

Sigh.... So much fail so much .   Just by what u said u think we should do u just proved u don't know a thing about how to run a college football team.  The team is broken down into small group. On the practice schedule it's called group practice. But before they even get to group practice they do individual practice. And all this before coming together in team.  And trust me all coachs in college football put in 80 plus hour weeks.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

ricepig

Quote from: mhsbc59 on January 18, 2017, 05:12:17 pm

Sigh.... So much fail so much .   Just by what u said u think we should do u just proved u don't know a thing about how to run a college football team.  The team is broken down into small group. On the practice schedule it's called group practice. But before they even get to group practice they do individual practice. And all this before coming together in team.  And trust me all coachs in college football put in 80 plus hour weeks.
Don't waste your breath, or fingers, he's reinventing the wheel!

DeltaBoy

I would love to see Harold Horton back on the staff , He can coach and recruit.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.