Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

There are no quick fixes. But....

Started by TOM "tbw1", January 16, 2017, 10:33:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TOM "tbw1"

It would nice if there were quick fixes to the football program. 

1.  Hire a new coach.  Easy fix, spend $$$.  Only problem is this quick fix rarely works.  See Alabama after the death of Coach Bryant.  See Florida, Tennessee, Georgia.

2.  Hire new assistants.  Easy fix, spend $$$.  The board today is calling for Keith Burns from a California high school.

3.  Recruit better.  Hardest of all fixes.  We must improve quickly while understanding that those ahead of us are also working to improve.  Does not get easier

4.   The most overlooked part of the program.  Allow me to quote Coach Bryant as I am old "old school":    What the hell's the matter with you people down there? Don't y'all take your football seriously?"
Coach Bryant, upon calling Auburn at 6 AM only to find out that none of the coaches were in their offices yet.

The best and most long lasting way to improve is to find coaches with strong work ethics who will instill that work ethic into the athletes.

Thoughts?
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Poker_hog

Did the OP really use Alabama as an example of why you shouldn't change coaches?  Sure they went through some duds but I think it's worked out alright for them.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

tophawg19

kind of a poor example considering Bama will change an assistant in a heart beat if they under perform. Bama has a dedication to winning far above that of the Hogs . Saban won't tolerate average effort from players or coaches . He has hired the best recruiting coaches possible . for him you have to be good at both. He doesn't mind putting money on the table for elite type coaches who want to win and know they can move up from there. They weren't good till he got there and built up the team
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

code red

No quick fix.  Ok.  But, this is year 4.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 16, 2017, 10:57:05 am
kind of a poor example considering Bama will change an assistant in a heart beat if they under perform. Bama has a dedication to winning far above that of the Hogs . Saban won't tolerate average effort from players or coaches . He has hired the best recruiting coaches possible . for him you have to be good at both. He doesn't mind putting money on the table for elite type coaches who want to win and know they can move up from there. They weren't good till he got there and built up the team

top,

Thank you for proving my point.   Until you get coaches who are willing to give all they have to the program you cannot expect that from the players.

If you are old enough, you can remember how Coach Broyles found top assistants worked them for two or three years and then they went on to be head coaches.

Bama today is a perfect example
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

The Op went right over your head and mentioned Bear Bryant who just happened to do his damage at BAMA.

WHAT THE HELL WE NEED IS A HC AND STAFF THAT WORKS THEIR ASSES OFF 24/7 TO PUT A RESPECTABLE TEAM ON THE FIELD.  Just about anyone can look at our team and realize that the players are not that bad talent wise.  I will go on to say before a sunshiner tries to derail this thread with subject movement that I don't mean a top 10 talent base but a solid 25th place talent base being misused and played down to a 45th place talent base.

We need teachers who can instill a mental approach of never give up, never quit, a physical approach of here is the position you need to be in, here is a classic approach to a great tackle, here is the best approach to take on another player who may have more talent than you do, but he doesn't have the desire that you do.  We need teachers who can FIND the time to develop the second team and not just have them as an after thought.  We need teachers that are willing to understand that the 2 hours window of practice is allowed for individual players and does not apply to the staff and HC who could break up the team into groups and get far more individual training to each player if they wanted to, they don't.  That's called hard work.  Bryant was absolutely correct.  What in the hell is the matter with ya'll down there.  Folks would be surprised at how good a team can get if they have great leadership.  The bonding alone is worth another victory annually and being taught to use every ounce of the talent you have could lead to another win or 2.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: 12247 on January 16, 2017, 11:02:28 am
The Op went right over your head and mentioned Bear Bryant who just happened to do his damage at BAMA.

WHAT THE HELL WE NEED IS A HC AND STAFF THAT WORKS THEIR ASSES OFF 24/7 TO PUT A RESPECTABLE TEAM ON THE FIELD.  Just about anyone can look at our team and realize that the players are not that bad talent wise.  I will go on to say before a sunshiner tries to derail this thread with subject movement that I don't mean a top 10 talent base but a solid 25th place talent base being misused and played down to a 45th place talent base.

We need teachers who can instill a mental approach of never give up, never quit, a physical approach of here is the position you need to be in, here is a classic approach to a great tackle, here is the best approach to take on another player who may have more talent than you do, but he doesn't have the desire that you do.  We need teachers who can FIND the time to develop the second team and not just have them as an after thought.  We need teachers that are willing to understand that the 2 hours window of practice is allowed for individual players and does not apply to the staff and HC who could break up the team into groups and get far more individual training to each player if they wanted to, they don't.  That's called hard work.  Bryant was absolutely correct.  What in the hell is the matter with ya'll down there.  Folks would be surprised at how good a team can get if they have great leadership.  The bonding alone is worth another victory annually and being taught to use every ounce of the talent you have could lead to another win or 2.

Thank you, sir.  You said what I wanted to.

ricepig

So, we should spend the allotted time the NCAA allows us each week for practice working on our second team, I mean, who needs a first team, and then, only working on individual drills. I guess we don't need to know what plays we run, or how to run them against different fronts, we'll just put our second team in and wow them with our individual training!

ballz2thewall

i must agree with my colleague.

changing coaches as a philosophy is hard to nail down with regard to the virtue of consistency given the ad hoc variables in play at any given time. sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes bad; it depends. substantial anecdotal evidence will match any decision.

and it's always recruit-the-system juxtaposed with fit-the-system-to-players. 
The rest of the frog.

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Hog Fan...DOH!

It's amazing how the conversation pivots based on the number of wins a team had the previous season.  Or, how many the fanbase perceives the team SHOULD have won.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Arkansas was favored in ONE game against an FBS opponent this year.  Vegas over/under for wins in 2016?  7.5  It's nuts that in order to win at Arkansas, at least last year, you had to overachieve every. single. week.   

My point is, sometimes you just freaking lose and have a disappointing season.  I don't believe the OP's suggestion that our staff doesn't work hard enough carries any merit whatsoever.  You're just fishing. 

tophawg19

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on January 16, 2017, 11:00:47 am
top,

Thank you for proving my point.   Until you get coaches who are willing to give all they have to the program you cannot expect that from the players.

If you are old enough, you can remember how Coach Broyles found top assistants worked them for two or three years and then they went on to be head coaches.

Bama today is a perfect example
the difference being they don't except average as the best they can do. They demand far more than we do. they truly are committed to excellence while we just talk about it .

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 16, 2017, 11:23:10 am
It's amazing how the conversation pivots based on the number of wins a team had the previous season.  Or, how many the fanbase perceives the team SHOULD have won.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Arkansas was favored in ONE game against an FBS opponent this year.  Vegas over/under for wins in 2016?  7.5  It's nuts that in order to win at Arkansas, at least last year, you had to overachieve every. single. week.   

My point is, sometimes you just freaking lose and have a disappointing season.  I don't believe the OP's suggestion that our staff doesn't work hard enough carries any merit whatsoever.  You're just fishing. 

The current coach and his staff have built a program that is only favored to beat one FBS opponent...after four years on the job...and that is somehow an excuse and a reason to give them more time on the job?

As Coach Bryant asked, what the hell is the matter with this deal?

hogblitz

The longer you wait to admit that something is NOT working, the longer the wait time before you will be flourishing again.  I guess every school except Arkansas, 4 years is ample time to judge a coaches worth.  Of course, any moment a sunshiner will respond to deflect blame onto JLS or Petrino.  The next excuse that there will be in the near future is needing more time due to the switch from the 4-3 to 3-4.  This is already being tossed around now and will probably be in full force if the D is lackluster next year.  It is simply amazing to me how a portion of the fanbase cares more about the head coach than the well being of the state of the program.    I really believe they are okay with a bad product as long as they like the head coach. 

elksnort

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 16, 2017, 11:25:11 am
the difference being they don't except average as the best they can do. They demand far more than we do. they truly are committed to excellence while we just talk about it .
The second halves of the Missouri and Virginia Tech games suggest otherwise.

ballz2thewall

it's not just wins and losses.

we've not dominated or really even controlled our non conference foes, as a class. the slow starts are a bit mystifying, all things considered.

the offensive line is a puzzle. the complexity of the puzzle is enhanced by our adopted identity as a power team and the professed philosophy of our coach[es] as his background.

we all know it takes time to build an OL. BUT, being in the SEC should allow us to fairly roll over some weaker opponents. we've yet to do that. stretching non conference into the conference, we've become a passing team because we have to; we can't effectively run the ball 1) the way we're billed and advertised, and 2) the way we were lead to believe by coaches.

the defensive woes have been worn out as of late; no need to repeat.

but a pattern seems to emerge. for two years we did get better later in the year. why? why did that happen?

then; this year. sudden inexplicable  2d half collapses this year, foreshadowed by a lack of improvement mid season as in years past. also, the throttling by auburn.

all of it considered gives at least the appearance of disorganization and/or unpreparedness.

when the team is not even competitive, despite the loss, something is wrong between the ears at the top.
The rest of the frog.

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: code red on January 16, 2017, 10:57:43 am
No quick fix.  Ok.  But, this is year 4.

Back when John L's time was winding down and the flames from the wreckage of the program were a mile high, how long did you predict the rebuild to take?

hogblitz

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on January 16, 2017, 11:55:47 am
Back when John L's time was winding down and the flames from the wreckage of the program were a mile high, how long did you predict the rebuild to take?
Lol.  I barely got my post in before this excuse emerged.  I bet you still blame Bush in politics. 

Ricepig, I just wish you were a smart as you believe you are.  You aren't.  I will slow this down where even you have a chance to understand it.  If you would take the 25th rated players, break them up in groups and spread the practices out over the entire day, hell, maybe even into the night.  You can take a small group, give them individual attention that they never get in the 2 hour window and teach them about their particular position for several minutes each over a time.  Work on each players weaknesses, build them up, bond with them, show them you really do care.  The coaches would have to work longer hours but the individual players would still be within the NCAA mandated guidelines.  This way, the second team gets to really be taught.  The HC actually knows their name, their strong points and cares enough to help them individually with their weaknesses as does the staff.  You can instill a mental approach, a higher level of conditioning, and players who would have to be better at technique with individual training.  Throughout the days, you could mix and match different positions to work with each other, move players in and out of the group to see first hand how they do together.  Lots of options here.  This takes care of the #1 problem expressed by most football staffs, not enough time to do their job.  Truthfully, that is Horsecrap.  Manage the damn situation.  Actually in the EXACT SAME 2 HOUR PERIOD, YOU UNDERSTAND, RICEPIG, THE EXACT SAME TWO HOUR PERIOD, there isn't enough time to do justice to every player on the field or subject to being on the field.  So fix that.  Use your time wisely.  Work the coaches longer.  This would not have to be for the entire Spring or Fall practices but certainly for many of the days of Spring and Fall.  Wouldn't take long to realize that all Joe the second teamer needed to be first string was a little help with his manner of carrying the football when running down the field.  Now he has a real chance to overcome his bad habit under the direct and constant direction of his position coach who never had the time before to single him out for extra work.                                                                                                                           Now Rice, if this is still over your head, I suspect it is, maybe its a math thing, hours in a day, working smaller groups, actually using the time available to work, making each player feel wanted, needed, and a part of the team, making each player's 2 hours a meaningful and useful experience instead of standing around getting your 3 reps of training for that day if any at all. 

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: hogblitz on January 16, 2017, 11:59:40 am
Lol.  I barely got my post in before this excuse emerged.  I bet you still blame Bush in politics. 

Na, I blame Carter, but that's not the point.

I recently spent some time reading posts from 2012-2013 and there was no one saying this was a 2-3 year overhaul.  Most were saying 5-6 years (even before the new coach was named).  I was just curious what this person was thinking back when Bret was first hired.  Not an "excuse" at all.

Reservoir Hogs

What I think is missing here is that 25th place talent, is 10-11th best in the SEC.
That is what we are dealing with.
I don't buy the notion that our coaches don't work hard enough, or dont work our players hard enough.
To win at Arkansas you need a good class of instate recruits and lots of 4th and 5th year players that have been red-shirted and waiting.   All these things have to come together, along with a ball or 2 to bounce our way (see Ole Miss LY) to win big here.
Other wise you are going to average 8ish wins per season based on our talent pool.

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on January 16, 2017, 12:03:53 pm
Ricepig, I just wish you were a smart as you believe you are.  You aren't.  I will slow this down where even you have a chance to understand it.  If you would take the 25th rated players, break them up in groups and spread the practices out over the entire day, hell, maybe even into the night.  You can take a small group, give them individual attention that they never get in the 2 hour window and teach them about their particular position for several minutes each over a time.  Work on each players weaknesses, build them up, bond with them, show them you really do care.  The coaches would have to work longer hours but the individual players would still be within the NCAA mandated guidelines.  This way, the second team gets to really be taught.  The HC actually knows their name, their strong points and cares enough to help them individually with their weaknesses as does the staff.  You can instill a mental approach, a higher level of conditioning, and players who would have to be better at technique with individual training.  Throughout the days, you could mix and match different positions to work with each other, move players in and out of the group to see first hand how they do together.  Lots of options here.  This takes care of the #1 problem expressed by most football staffs, not enough time to do their job.  Truthfully, that is Horsecrap.  Manage the damn situation.  Actually in the EXACT SAME 2 HOUR PERIOD, YOU UNDERSTAND, RICEPIG, THE EXACT SAME TWO HOUR PERIOD, there isn't enough time to do justice to every player on the field or subject to being on the field.  So fix that.  Use your time wisely.  Work the coaches longer.  This would not have to be for the entire Spring or Fall practices but certainly for many of the days of Spring and Fall.  Wouldn't take long to realize that all Joe the second teamer needed to be first string was a little help with his manner of carrying the football when running down the field.  Now he has a real chance to overcome his bad habit under the direct and constant direction of his position coach who never had the time before to single him out for extra work.                                                                                                                           Now Rice, if this is still over your head, I suspect it is, maybe its a math thing, hours in a day, working smaller groups, actually using the time available to work, making each player feel wanted, needed, and a part of the team, making each player's 2 hours a meaningful and useful experience instead of standing around getting your 3 reps of training for that day if any at all. 

When we get approval from the NCAA to do as you wish, let me know. I  really feel sorry for you, you just can't comprehend the rules as they exist. May God bless you.

Reservoir Hogs

Are you suggesting to break up the team into separate practices?  1st teamers from 1-3 then 2nd teamers from 4-6?

I'm not sure this is how the NCAA mandates work...

Hawgboy64

No quick fixes but there should be progress.
In Bobby's Petrino's 3 years, we saw progress.
In Bret Bielema's first 2 years, we saw progress.
Starting last year, we have seen a gradual decline on the field especially on defense.
After 4 years, I hoped for better.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

hog.goblin

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on January 16, 2017, 10:33:51 am

2.  The board today is calling for Keith Burns from a California high school.

Thoughts?

I think this is inaccurate.  Sure there is a thread on it, but the OP has been mostly roasted.

Wildhog

I wish I was as smart as I believe I am.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

farmhawg

Its all about leadership.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

colbs

How do you know they aren't doing that now?  I think it's harder said than done.  Usually spring practice, fall camp, and bowl practices is where the players who don't get many snaps in games get the most practice time.  During the season you kind of have to focus on the players that are going to play.  I mean the others are on scout team and will get good reps against the starters, which are really good reps.  They also have time with Herb.  Usually the coaches are okay with them to meet in their offices at times when practice is not going on.  They can also practice with other players during off time.

hogblitz

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on January 16, 2017, 12:07:22 pm
Na, I blame Carter, but that's not the point.

I recently spent some time reading posts from 2012-2013 and there was no one saying this was a 2-3 year overhaul.  Most were saying 5-6 years (even before the new coach was named).  I was just curious what this person was thinking back when Bret was first hired.  Not an "excuse" at all.
Fair enough.  Regardless, of whether or not one believes we should be challenging for an SEC Championship in year 4 or year 6 is not the point.  This team has continued to regress in almost every facet of the game.  Even the supposed bread and butter themes of an CBB coached team are regressing and are absolutely attrosius.  Many shortcomings have continued to happen even with assistant changes. Eventually, you have to realize that a duck is a duck.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogblitz on January 16, 2017, 11:42:16 am
It is simply amazing to me how a portion of the fanbase cares more about the head coach than the well being of the state of the program.    I really believe they are okay with a bad product as long as they like the head coach. 

I honestly believe it is more a matter of wanting to prove they were right.  They have gone all in for the current AD and coach and admitting the program is going down the toilet would be admitting the leadership they have so vehemently supported doesn't know what it is doing.

Wildhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 16, 2017, 12:27:33 pm
I honestly believe it is more a matter of wanting to prove they were right.  They have gone all in for the current AD and coach and admitting the program is going down the toilet would be admitting the leadership they have so vehemently supported doesn't know what it is doing.

I mean, there are posters that have been just awful to anyone that has any negative opinion about the current staff.  No way they'll admit being wrong.  They're going down with the ship.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hobhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 16, 2017, 12:10:18 pm
When we get approval from the NCAA to do as you wish, let me know. I  really feel sorry for you, you just can't comprehend the rules as they exist. May God bless you.
He comes across as a frustrated youth league head coach....

Spurrier didn't practice very hard during his glory days. Always found a way to play golf. Just sayin OP.

onebadrubi

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 16, 2017, 11:41:03 am
The current coach and his staff have built a program that is only favored to beat one FBS opponent...after four years on the job...and that is somehow an excuse and a reason to give them more time on the job?

As Coach Bryant asked, what the hell is the matter with this deal?

In college football things change yearly with kids getting in trouble, leaving for NFL early, graduating, etc.  You aren't going to get much love in the SEC w the year you break in a new QB unless you have a Bama defense. 

There are so many things that go into truly evaluating this but you all know that.  Bielema is going to be here for at least two more years, these two years will most likely make or break his career from being a top coach when he came here to possibly rebuilding if he continues down the path this team ended on this year. 

Sure Bielema lost games he should have won and a couple in a fashion that left you grasping for answers, but also you must also credit him for the ones he won he wasn't suppose too, although he seems as if many here refuse to do so, they expect to win them all and bitch and cry for heads at any step back. 

oldhog63

I think maybe you are the one that doesn't understand how a practice session works. Or even the fact that these young men also have to attend school during some part of the day. Even if the NCAA allowed this, it is not practical to break up a work day as you describe.

I am not even sure where to start with this. Just from a numbers standpoint it doesn't work out. There are approximately 100 players on the team including scout teamers and red shirts. If the first team offense has 14 or so players that rotate and you have a scout defense with some subs, that is about 30 players. Let's say you do the same thing with the defense. Another 30 players. That is with no subs in many of the positions. Already more than half the team is involved. So, if one of the O-line gets hurt during practice, do you just put a blocking dummy in there and pretend? What if a coach wants to talk to an individual player, do you stop the whole practice while that one player is out? What if a scout teamer gets hurt? One of the coaches fills in? Etc, etc.

So, who is going to practice against the 'second' team if all the scout teamers practiced with the first team? Some positions rotate 2-3 deep, such as the d-line. Which ones practice in this session?

What about meetings after practice? I guess the first teamers will attend the meetings amongst themselves while the coaches are on the field with what is left of the team? When do players have time to study (both school and football)? Eat? Sleep?

Maybe the coaches need to work harder/smarter as you allude. I don't keep up with their schedules. But, what you suggest is not doable, in my opinion, from a players standpoint.

wachhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 16, 2017, 12:43:28 pm
In college football things change yearly with kids getting in trouble, leaving for NFL early, graduating, etc.  You aren't going to get much love in the SEC w the year you break in a new QB unless you have a Bama defense. 

There are so many things that go into truly evaluating this but you all know that.  Bielema is going to be here for at least two more years, these two years will most likely make or break his career from being a top coach when he came here to possibly rebuilding if he continues down the path this team ended on this year. 

Sure Bielema lost games he should have won and a couple in a fashion that left you grasping for answers, but also you must also credit him for the ones he won he wasn't suppose too, although he seems as if many here refuse to do so, they expect to win them all and bitch and cry for heads at any step back.
I think Bielema came  here as Barry's too yes man and has been exposed as such. Given all the brash talking he did. I can't say that I'm sorry.

Oklahawg

Not unreasonable at all.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HogMantheIntruder

One bad season and our HC is garbage? I don't buy it. This season was disappointing, and there definitely needed to be a change on D. We are making that change. It's taken awhile to recruit enough LB's to do so, but it is being done, and it should help to shore up some of our more glaring weaknesses. Offense should be markedly improved next year with what we have returning and who we have coming in. I know many do not share my optimism for 2017-18, but a lot of people were predicting next year as CBB's break out year since before this season even began.

Something else I don't understand- We all acknowledge that Arkansas has a disadvantage in recruiting, so why can't we accept that maybe it will take an extra year or two to get us where we want to be? Now, if next season's squad does not produce, then I will agree that CBB may not be the man for the job, but until then, I remain hopeful and optimistic that he is our guy.

I'm not sure what the ceiling is with a CBB coached team, but I think the 2016-17 season was as bad as we can expect. If I'm correct, and 7 wins is the basement, I'm ok with that, as long as he can produce 10+ wins in good years, which remains to be seen. Let's also not forget that, despite it being a down year, we did finally get that Florida monkey off of our backs, so it wasn't all bad.

Just my .02

"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Oklahawg

I appreciate your post, Rice.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

seasonhog

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on January 16, 2017, 10:33:51 am
It would nice if there were quick fixes to the football program. 

1.  Hire a new coach.  Easy fix, spend $$$.  Only problem is this quick fix rarely works.  See Alabama after the death of Coach Bryant.  See Florida, Tennessee, Georgia.

2.  Hire new assistants.  Easy fix, spend $$$.  The board today is calling for Keith Burns from a California high school.

3.  Recruit better.  Hardest of all fixes.  We must improve quickly while understanding that those ahead of us are also working to improve.  Does not get easier

4.   The most overlooked part of the program.  Allow me to quote Coach Bryant as I am old "old school":    What the hell's the matter with you people down there? Don't y'all take your football seriously?"
Coach Bryant, upon calling Auburn at 6 AM only to find out that none of the coaches were in their offices yet.

The best and most long lasting way to improve is to find coaches with strong work ethics who will instill that work ethic into the athletes.

Thoughts?

Hi Tom ...good to hear from you.....

What is a Razorback.........Frank, You, Myself & a few others know what a Razorback Football team is......we have left the building  ...good or bad.......I think the bad is in the building at this time....hope we can recover.

seasonhog

Oklahawg

I see zero evidence that the staff works any less than the big dogs.

I see things that we praised in the past being admonished now. Case in point: the sideline calm from the Tennessee game in 2015 allowed the team to regain it's composure and come back for a big road win. This year, it was a sign of detachment or disinterest or (worse) incompetence. It can't be both. Few even understand what contributes to the demeanor.

Legit questions exist, but we don't really want to ask these questions or pick through the crap posts to find good answers. For example:
1. why did it take CBB two full years on the field to discover that he was not recruiting enough length or speed on defense?
2. why is it taking so long to optimize the coaching staff? Or, is it optimized and we are simply replacing guys we liked with other guys we like?
3. is it reasonable that the tank job of Bobby and Smiles takes more than four years for recovery?

My answers:
1. damn good question, but I think he did finally make a shift.
2. CBB is a CEO coach and lets the coordinators have a strong say in what happens. Anderson was hired with heavy influence from Enos. Pittman left because he wanted an easier path in recruitment + the Chaney to Enos transition left him miffed. CBB likes Anderson and will give him space to grow as a courtesy to his OC. (That is an example.) So, yes, optimized in the sense that I think Enos likes the coaches on offense but wants some things to improve (and believes they will, so that side of the ball appears set for 2017).
3. Yes, short answer. Unlike hoops which can be rebuilt in a class, or two, football is a slow-build from scratch. We were really down. REALLY down. We had a good OL coach quit recruiting and bail at the worst possible point in the development, bogging down the whole system.

Could you rebuild faster? Yes. Would CBB recruit the problems that come with the players? Not likely. Would CBB hire the coaches to make it happen faster? If they were interested. He clearly is in "circle the wagons" mode and is not going to step as far outside his coaching tree as many of us would prefer. The pressure to fix this, and quickly, means he can't risk a new hire that screws up coaching chemistry. He went through that with Markuson and we all know how that worked out.

So, at the point we most might need an "A list" coach signing on CBB is less likely to go hire that guy.

Oklahawg

I will go back to locker room problems as a primary issue. There are some that cannot be fixed until the off-season. In some places of employment if you have a bad co-worker the boss purges them Friday afternoon and has a replacement on Monday morning. Not possible in college athletics (players or coaches, usually).

Saban is successful because he won't allow success to not happen. A dictator. It works but when it fails it will fail badly. He can will the players to be good citizens because they do not want to endure the backside of a problem off the field. Works for him, but we can all see how that is an incomplete success story for similar personalities like Petrino.

tophawg19

i wonder if the fans realize you are only allowed 20 total hours with the players and practice and film study eats that up quick. now players can choose to watch film and practice on their own together but that is separate .

Al Boarland

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 16, 2017, 01:31:26 pm
I see zero evidence that the staff works any less than the big dogs.

I see things that we praised in the past being admonished now. Case in point: the sideline calm from the Tennessee game in 2015 allowed the team to regain it's composure and come back for a big road win. This year, it was a sign of detachment or disinterest or (worse) incompetence. It can't be both. Few even understand what contributes to the demeanor.

Legit questions exist, but we don't really want to ask these questions or pick through the crap posts to find good answers. For example:
1. why did it take CBB two full years on the field to discover that he was not recruiting enough length or speed on defense?
2. why is it taking so long to optimize the coaching staff? Or, is it optimized and we are simply replacing guys we liked with other guys we like?
3. is it reasonable that the tank job of Bobby and Smiles takes more than four years for recovery?

My answers:
1. damn good question, but I think he did finally make a shift.
2. CBB is a CEO coach and lets the coordinators have a strong say in what happens. Anderson was hired with heavy influence from Enos. Pittman left because he wanted an easier path in recruitment + the Chaney to Enos transition left him miffed. CBB likes Anderson and will give him space to grow as a courtesy to his OC. (That is an example.) So, yes, optimized in the sense that I think Enos likes the coaches on offense but wants some things to improve (and believes they will, so that side of the ball appears set for 2017).
3. Yes, short answer. Unlike hoops which can be rebuilt in a class, or two, football is a slow-build from scratch. We were really down. REALLY down. We had a good OL coach quit recruiting and bail at the worst possible point in the development, bogging down the whole system.

Could you rebuild faster? Yes. Would CBB recruit the problems that come with the players? Not likely. Would CBB hire the coaches to make it happen faster? If they were interested. He clearly is in "circle the wagons" mode and is not going to step as far outside his coaching tree as many of us would prefer. The pressure to fix this, and quickly, means he can't risk a new hire that screws up coaching chemistry. He went through that with Markuson and we all know how that worked out.

So, at the point we most might need an "A list" coach signing on CBB is less likely to go hire that guy.
Solid post. I'm not confident CBB will ever get the program to where some want, but he has built a solid program. There isn't a better fit for U of A football and the fan base as a whole than CBB. Might as well keep him around and appreciate the wins he does get.

Redhogs

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 16, 2017, 02:56:40 pm
Solid post. I'm not confident CBB will ever get the program to where some want, but he has built a solid program. There isn't a better fit for U of A football and the fan base as a whole than CBB. Might as well keep him around and appreciate the wins he does get.
This is why we are what we are. Ridiculous.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Oklahawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 16, 2017, 02:56:40 pm

Wise post.

Lots of folks who would build a house on sand. Hey, CBB may not make it here but he will leave things much healthier.

MuskogeeHogFan

January 16, 2017, 06:31:15 pm #45 Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:55:20 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Redhogs on January 16, 2017, 03:52:46 pm
This is why we are what we are. Ridiculous.

I think that you and perhaps some other fans/posters on this board confuse what some other posters see as the reality of our situation, with them being willing to settle for less. I think we would all like to win more than we do. Some just see that this isn't going to happen overnight (or even in the time that has elapsed so far) and may take more time than we initially thought.

I think that this coming season is a pivotal moment for Bielema and this program, and he has even said as much of year 5. Now all of the whining and moaning in the meantime isn't going to change anything and it isn't going to get Bielema canned prior to the coming season. So if the folks who feel as you do want to wallow in unhappiness and dissatisfaction every day until the beginning of the next season, have at it I guess. But it isn't going to change anything for the time being and constantly complaining isn't going to make you a happier person.

If Bielema screws up and doesn't win at a higher level next season, to include not getting embarrassed in losses and not blowing games in the second half, I'll be right with everyone else in feeling that a change needs to be made. But until then, we might as well wait and see how this all plays out. I understand your frustration and I think that most, if not all of us, do as well.

One thing is absolutely true at this point and that is that should Bielema not get the job done and exits, the program and the talent left behind for the next guy, will be a lot better than what he inherited when he arrived.
Go Hogs Go!

ballz2thewall

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 16, 2017, 06:31:15 pm
I think that you and perhaps some other fans/posters on this board confuse what some posters see as the reality of our situation, with them being willing to settle for less. I think we would all like to win more than we do. Some just see that this isn't going to happen overnight (or even in the time that has elapsed so far) and may take more time than we initially thought.

I think that this coming season is a pivotal moment for Bielema and this program, and he has even said as much of year 5. Now all of the whining and moaning in the meantime isn't going to change anything and it isn't going to get Bielema canned prior to the coming season. So if the folks who feel as you do want to wallow in unhappiness and dissatisfaction every day until the beginning of the next season, have at it I guess. But it isn't going to change anything for the time being and constantly complaining isn't going to make you a happier person.

If Bielema screws up and doesn't win at a higher level next season, to include not getting embarrassed in losses and not blowing games in the second half, I'll be right with everyone else in feeling that a change needs to be made. But until then, we might as well wait and see how this all plays out. I understand your frustration and I think that most, if not all of us, do as well.

One thing is absolutely true at this point and that is that should Bielema not get the job done and exits, the program and the talent left behind for the next guy, will be a lot better than what he inherited when he arrived.

there's wisdom and truth in your perspective

BUT WHERE THE FUN IN THAT?? :)

my own personal gripe is that cbb didn't build the dominant OL that he promised. we should have seen clear signs of OL improvement in 2015. we really didn't. i think it's clear that, in accord with your wisdom [that i'm truly not poking fun at] cbb went off rail and couldn't deal with the losing that it takes to build that dynamic OL. he caved in a bit and the reality is; you can't really do both unless the planets line up exactly right.

The rest of the frog.

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 16, 2017, 06:31:15 pm
I think that you and perhaps some other fans/posters on this board confuse what some other posters see as the reality of our situation, with them being willing to settle for less. I think we would all like to win more than we do. Some just see that this isn't going to happen overnight (or even in the time that has elapsed so far) and may take more time than we initially thought.

I don't think the program will ever be a consistent contender. There is potential for the stars to align on occasion, but relative to other programs we play every year we are the have nots. That's just the reality of the situation.

PorkSoda

quick fix? offer Saban 20 mill a year.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 16, 2017, 07:22:21 pm
quick fix? offer Saban 20 mill a year.

Saban couldn't "quick fix" this program and at the end of a few years he would retire and we would only be remembered as the last program that Saban coached prior to retiring and we would be out what? 80-100 million? Beyond that, he wouldn't take this job. Too many limitations that he isn't accustomed to having to deal with.
Go Hogs Go!