Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor tackling is not just

Started by Potosihog, January 15, 2017, 07:55:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Potosihog

A razorback trait.  These NFL games today have had a ton of missed tackles.

Hawgphish

And can someone explain why holding is called on some plays and not on others....  Because there is clear evident holding on every every every play. 

Those NFL teams also had bunches of great hitting, blocking, super catches, great throws and lines doing a great job for most of the game on both sides of the ball.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: 12247 on January 15, 2017, 07:59:17 pm
Those NFL teams also had bunches of great hitting, blocking, super catches, great throws and lines doing a great job for most of the game on both sides of the ball.
Agree. The guys carrying the ball are pretty good at breaking tackles.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

26.2Hog

Quote from: Potosihog on January 15, 2017, 07:55:52 pm

So you're saying we have an NFL caliber defense?   ;D

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hawgphish on January 15, 2017, 07:58:12 pm
And can someone explain why holding is called on some plays and not on others....  Because there is clear evident holding on every every every play.
the mob/Vegas
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Potosihog on January 15, 2017, 07:55:52 pm

NFL defenses miss wayyyy fewer tackles than college, they're closing speed is insane too.

MissippHog

Quote from: Hawgphish on January 15, 2017, 07:58:12 pm
Or why is targeting called sometimes but not others.  There were several instances where targeting (by it's definition) could have been called in yesterday's and today's games.

hogman99

Quote from: MissippHog on January 16, 2017, 02:48:27 am
Or why is targeting called sometimes but not others.  There were several instances where targeting (by it's definition) could have been called in yesterday's and today's games.

As one famous coach said a few years back (I'm paraphrasing) "They go so fast and it messes you up"

At the speed of the game, it is likely that many penalties are missed on every play.  I believe the refs using holding on the line either offensive or defensive could be called on every play.  I think the refs use those positions to equal out the game or maybe to assist their favorite team.

hogginbama

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 15, 2017, 08:37:00 pm
So you're saying we have an NFL caliber defense?   ;D

We could lead the NFL in missed tackles if they would just let us in the league.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

FANONTHEHILL

Poor tackling is everywhere.  There are so many theories and reasons.  For what it's worth, I see three main things that have had an impact on tackling in recent years.

1)  With all of the concussion questions and limiting contact in practice, the live tackling drills have been greatly reduced.  If you don't practice it, you don't do it in live play.  That contributes to #2.

2)  Hard contact, primarily to the upper body is penalized.  Half of what we were taught a generation ago is illegal now.  The kids are shown video after video of what will get them ejected.  You also run into objectivity issues with officiating crews.  Targeting this week may not be targeting next week.  The inconsistency makes teaching tackling a greater challenge.

3) I know people don't like to hear it, but 7 on 7 hurts defensive fundamental football in regard to tackling.  I will give you that it helps reading routes and braking on the ball, but I'm a big believer in repetition and muscle memory.   If a player spends every summer in high school doing nothing more than putting a hand on a receiver that catches the ball, it's hard to train your body to hit with a shoulder and wrap up.  Why aren't there enough reps to break these bad habits, see #1. 

I fully understand all the rules in place to protect the players, but those rules combined the so many rules geared toward the offense make playing LB or in the secondary much more difficult than they used to be.

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Potosihog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 16, 2017, 08:57:43 pm
Poor tackling is everywhere.  There are so many theories and reasons.  For what it's worth, I see three main things that have had an impact on tackling in recent years.

1)  With all of the concussion questions and limiting contact in practice, the live tackling drills have been greatly reduced.  If you don't practice it, you don't do it in live play.  That contributes to #2.

2)  Hard contact, primarily to the upper body is penalized.  Half of what we were taught a generation ago is illegal now.  The kids are shown video after video of what will get them ejected.  You also run into objectivity issues with officiating crews.  Targeting this week may not be targeting next week.  The inconsistency makes teaching tackling a greater challenge.

3) I know people don't like to hear it, but 7 on 7 hurts defensive fundamental football in regard to tackling.  I will give you that it helps reading routes and braking on the ball, but I'm a big believer in repetition and muscle memory.   If a player spends every summer in high school doing nothing more than putting a hand on a receiver that catches the ball, it's hard to train your body to hit with a shoulder and wrap up.  Why aren't there enough reps to break these bad habits, see #1. 

I fully understand all the rules in place to protect the players, but those rules combined the so many rules geared toward the offense make playing LB or in the secondary much more difficult than they used to be.

Great insight. 👍

DeltaBoy

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 16, 2017, 08:57:43 pm

I agree 100% we need more tackling drills.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogginbama on January 16, 2017, 08:28:35 pm
We could lead the NFL in missed tackles if they would just let us in the league.

More money, winning be danged! Let do it!

al_pigcino

I don't understand why you can't have year round sports.  Football should be practiced all year long. 

hogsanity

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 17, 2017, 11:42:08 am
I don't understand why you can't have year round sports.  Football should be practiced all year long. 

Well, pro athletes, in whatever sport, usually do workout year round.

As far as scholastically ( ages 7-18 ) how would you do year round? What if a kid wants to play more than one sport? How could the football team practice every day if kids were also playing basketball or baseball or running track?

One of the biggest issue I see with tackling is that kids are not taught how to tackle properly at a young age. Football, above all other sports, is the toughest for volunteer coaches to do a really good job of proper technique teaching.  All alot of them want to do, at least around here, is find the fastest kid and give him the ball, and on defense find the fastest kid and tell him to go get the ball.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

al_pigcino

Quote from: hogsanity on January 17, 2017, 11:52:22 am
Well, pro athletes, in whatever sport, usually do workout year round.

As far as scholastically ( ages 7-18 ) how would you do year round? What if a kid wants to play more than one sport? How could the football team practice every day if kids were also playing basketball or baseball or running track?

One of the biggest issue I see with tackling is that kids are not taught how to tackle properly at a young age. Football, above all other sports, is the toughest for volunteer coaches to do a really good job of proper technique teaching.  All alot of them want to do, at least around here, is find the fastest kid and give him the ball, and on defense find the fastest kid and tell him to go get the ball.
You could still play other sports (pro athletes do).  Not every kid is a 3 sport person.  I knew lots of people who only wanted to play baseball/football/basketball.  Let them do it all year long.  You can still give them the summer off.  What's wrong with January - May having football practice?  What's wrong with August baseball? 

hogsanity

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 17, 2017, 11:56:37 am
You could still play other sports (pro athletes do).  Not every kid is a 3 sport person.  I knew lots of people who only wanted to play baseball/football/basketball.  Let them do it all year long.  You can still give them the summer off.  What's wrong with January - May having football practice?  What's wrong with August baseball? 

I, personally, do not think there is anything wrong with it. The issue is though, and this is true especially in classes 5a-2a, almost all the football kids are also your basketball team and your baseball team. I ref all 3 major sports and I see the same kids on Friday nights in Nov, Tuesdays and Fridays in January, and on afternoons in March and April.  So, do the kids that want to play multiple sports fall behind those that do not? Do the coaches begin to pressure kids not to play one of the other sports so they can have them for football practice?

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on January 17, 2017, 12:00:56 pm
I, personally, do not think there is anything wrong with it. The issue is though, and this is true especially in classes 5a-2a, almost all the football kids are also your basketball team and your baseball team. I ref all 3 major sports and I see the same kids on Friday nights in Nov, Tuesdays and Fridays in January, and on afternoons in March and April.  So, do the kids that want to play multiple sports fall behind those that do not? Do the coaches begin to pressure kids not to play one of the other sports so they can have them for football practice?

True at my HS we have about 25 kids boys and girls that do all the sports.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.