Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To the "Fire Jeff Long" crowd

Started by Deep Shoat, January 06, 2017, 02:35:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Calling All Hogs

Did we have to add gymnastics to our attendance list to make the top 25? Student enrollment in general at the UA is up 17 percent since 2011 so how difficult is it to set a student game attendance record? This and the four game sellout probably also resulted from how our schedule set up this year with us playing four Southeastern Conference games at Razorback Stadium in a single season. The UA athletic program has been self sustaining for many decades and has probably provided similar numbers in funding programs, scholarships, and discounts for years. Do we praise Jeff for not messing this up?  Is increases in Razorback Foundation membership and donations because of new excitement in the program or because ticket seating has been increasingly tied to having to give more? Charging more for a lesser product (in terms of wins) is a questionable business model. Raising money with a campaign named "Never Yield" becomes a bit awkward when you provide a football product that increasingly yields on the field. Jeff Long is not a bad AD if you don't mind losing. 

Razorback_Mack

I can understand the people that want Jeff fired a lot better than I can understand the people that are in love with Jeff. With the exception of Vandy and UK, football is what determines the career of AD's in the SEC. Football and football alone. If you want to be vandy you have the right to brag about gymnastics.

It has been mentioned that many business minded folks could take others peoples money and turn it into what Jeff has done so far from his position.  I 100 percent agree but I will say that the manager in charge usually gets the credit for good things happening, deserved or not.  Jeff Long was in charge when these things happened.  Arkansas has been very lucky to have a few folks associated with the University who ended up very rich and are willing to hand off a bit of it to the University and unless they hate the person receiving it completely, it really doesn't matter who that person is as long as the money ends up mostly where the giver wants it to go.  Arkansas sports were covering their costs and building things years before anyone knew about Jeff Long.

Those same givers do care about the major sports and how well they do.  When a man can give a University 5 million just cause he wants to can also put up a friendly wager of say 50K on is favorite team and be far more pissed off when they choke and lose than some would think.  It isn't the money he lost, its the ragging he has to take for backing a loser and the bragging he has to tolerate for at least a year.  This chaps his rear and causes him to wonder if his giving is worth it.  He likely feels much like I do.  Nearly anyone can spend my money as I wished it be spent but I want both, a man with management abilities and one that can put a respectable team on the field at the same time.

We have seen that our givers have patience like in the Nutt situation.  We can also see that it doesn't last forever.  Most of the givers were/are major company builders who have super management skills and any one of them could operate the management end of the University Sports Programs in their spare time and do well.  I believe most all of them have doubts that they could assure the product on the field is the best it could be with them in charge.  I suspect the field is what they would like to see in better condition.  When and if the givers get their craws full, Jeff will find out what happens to a top 15 Athletic Director who cannot build competitive teams in the major sports.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: kaki on January 06, 2017, 06:47:34 pm
you may know the makeup of the board better than me and I am sure there may be some accomplished individuals, but the vast majority of the posters demonstrate different resumes than you are touting.

Don't doubt me. There are some Wyle E. Coyote super geniuses in this thread alone. Just ask them.

Edit: See the post right above this one for evidence of the brilliance I speak of.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Torqued pork

Watching Hog football teams discombobulate in ways that are opposite of what was advertised for Bielema ball isn't comforting. It's hardly demonic to think BIelema might be in a unworkable situation for both parties. 

As far as the revenue-draining sports go, WGaD?

Hogs958

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 06, 2017, 03:37:11 pm
There are a vast majority of schools out there that didn't win the championship this year.

This is not a good point to make.

you missed the wins part.

I don't have a problem with Long yet, but our basketball and football programs need to start winning more. It's pretty simple

grayhawg

When I think about Jeff Long I remember Tommy Bowden(dodged that bullet)Jim Grobe Long hired him but thank God Grobe backed out. Bobby Petrino was a great coach but a terrible person. Jon L Smith and gave Bielema a ignorant buy out. Yea I still say fire Jeff Long.

BigE_23

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 06, 2017, 05:21:19 pm
Forever waiting for an anti-Long poster to answer who they would've hired instead of Bielema at the time, and how Bielema's subpar performances are Long's fault?

Wonder what we'd find at the time of the Bielema hire if we took the time to go back through some posters' history...

EDIT: Well, for instance:

I absolutely was on the CBB train for seasons 2013-2015 and if you read through said post history I defended him in 2013 and through the early part of last season (Toledo, Tech).

But my faith isn't blind nor are my loyalties dumb. This is year 4 and we got crapped on. He gets paid $5+ million to PRODUCE and he's not getting it done. It's time to move on - but we're stuck because of bad decisions/negotiations by his boss (who this thread is about).

If you're gonna take the time to troll my post history you should keep reading it all and not just look for snippets to prove your weak argument.

BTW - If I'm wrong and we win 10+ games next year I'll be first in line to eat crow...but we all know that's not going to happen.

When trolling my post history you also missed the coaches I would have hired: WILLIE TAGGART & MIKE MACINTYRE were my two favorites.

In basketball I wanted Greg Marshall.

BigE_23

Quote from: grayhawg on January 06, 2017, 08:38:28 pm
When I think about Jeff Long I remember Tommy Bowden(dodged that bullet)Jim Grobe Long hired him but thank God Grobe backed out. Bobby Petrino was a great coach but a terrible person. Jon L Smith and gave Bielema a ignorant buy out. Yea I still say fire Jeff Long.

People don't want to talk about that. They can't handle the truth. Facts are stubborn little things.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: BigE_23 on January 06, 2017, 09:26:53 pm
He gets paid $5+ million to PRODUCE

When did he get the bump from 4 to 5 million?

Don't embellish. It makes you look even more foolish.

BTW, facts are stubborn little things.

BigE_23

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on January 06, 2017, 09:54:21 pm
When did he get the bump from 4 to 5 million?

Don't embellish. It makes you look even more foolish.

BTW, facts are stubborn little things.

I misspoke about that ONE, but here's a fact for ya, he's the 17th highest paid coach in College Football. Are we the 17th best team in the country? Far from it. The foolish are the those trying to defend his poor performance.

Here's some additional facts for ya:
10-22
25-26
56-3
6.2 yards per carry

Need more??

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: BigE_23 on January 06, 2017, 10:04:36 pm
I misspoke about that ONE, but here's a fact for ya, he's the 17th highest paid coach in College Football. Are we the 17th best team in the country? Far from it. The foolish are the those trying to defend his poor performance.

Here's some additional facts for ya:
10-22
25-26
56-3
6.2 yards per carry

Need more??

Does anyone give a flying [CENSORED] flip who the 17th best team in the country is?

BigE_23

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on January 06, 2017, 10:11:48 pm
Does anyone give a flying [CENSORED] flip who the 17th best team in the country is?

You missed the point but I'm not surprised

str8volfan

I dont want to be the elephant in the room here, but Jeff has zero(0) life championships.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: BigE_23 on January 06, 2017, 10:15:55 pm
You missed the point but I'm not surprised

No. YOU miss the point. CBB's salary is consistent with the SEC pecking order...7th to 8th on average. Pick a coach, any coach, and double CBB's salary. That would likely move Arkansas up to 5th or 6th in SEC results on the field. How much are you willing to pay for tickets?

BigE_23

January 06, 2017, 10:39:16 pm #65 Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:49:43 pm by BigE_23
Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on January 06, 2017, 10:30:01 pm
No. YOU miss the point. CBB's salary is consistent with the SEC pecking order...7th to 8th on average. Pick a coach, any coach, and double CBB's salary. That would likely move Arkansas up to 5th or 6th in SEC results on the field. How much are you willing to pay for tickets?

Then explain to me why his former school is top 10 in the country while paying their head coach HALF of what CBB gets?

And before you use the "this is the SEC" argument, we don't get to use that excuse anymore after our bowl record this season. Also, his former team thrashed the LSU team that ran down our throats.

You see your argument falls flat real quick. His salary isn't commensurate with his performance and our AD (who this thread is about) handcuffed us to him with a ridiculous buyout after a 7-6 season.

That's the point and AGAIN you don't get it.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: BigE_23 on January 06, 2017, 10:39:16 pm
Then explain to me why his former school is top 10 in the country while paying their head coach HALF of what CBB gets?

And before you use the "this is the SEC" argument, we don't get to use that excuse anymore after our bowl record this season. Also, his former team thrashed the LSU team that ran down our throats.

You see your argument falls flat real quick. His salary isn't commiserate with his performance and our AD (who this thread is about) handcuffed us to him with a ridiculous buyout after a 7-6 season.

That's the point and AGAIN you don't get it.

Hey, crack head, if Arkansas hired a coach cheap --- and he found some success --- how much money would it take to keep him? Answer: A chit load...more than CBB.

Second question. Once you paid that up and comer his chit load of money, where do you think Arkansas would find themselves in the SEC pecking order? Answer: 5th or 6th.

BigE_23

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on January 06, 2017, 10:53:35 pm
Hey, crack head, if Arkansas hired a coach cheap --- and he found some success --- how much money would it take to keep him? Answer: A chit load...more than CBB.

Second question. Once you paid that up and comer his chit load of money, where do you think Arkansas would find themselves in the SEC pecking order? Answer: 5th or 6th.

Bless your heart...you just can't wrap your little brain around it.

THAT'S NOT THE POINT!!!!!! I'm bored with you. You can't fix stupid.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: BigE_23 on January 06, 2017, 10:58:56 pm
Bless your heart...you just can't wrap your little brain around it.

THAT'S NOT THE POINT!!!!!! I'm bored with you. You can't fix stupid.

The point you fail to grasp is this...regardless of the coach or money thrown towards one ARKANSAS WILL NEVER, CONSISTENTLY, OUTPERFORM BAMA, FLORIDA OR GEORGIA. IN THE BEST OF YEARS ARKANSAS WILL BE BATTLING LSU, AUBURN, A&M AND TENNESSEE TO BE AMONG THE SECOND TIER.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on January 06, 2017, 11:13:11 pm
The point you fail to grasp is this...regardless of the coach or money thrown towards one ARKANSAS WILL NEVER, CONSISTENTLY, OUTPERFORM BAMA, FLORIDA OR GEORGIA. IN THE BEST OF YEARS ARKANSAS WILL BE BATTLING LSU, AUBURN, A&M AND TENNESSEE TO BE AMONG THE SECOND TIER.
You're a loser. Loser mentality. Deep down you know it. Regardless of the coach or money??? You're a joke.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 06, 2017, 11:32:44 pm
You're a loser. Loser mentality. Deep down you know it. Regardless of the coach or money??? You're a joke.

Nah. I am a reformed sunshine pumper. A realist now, baby!

HardCore

Did Jeff's Work-Study Trolls check back in for the new semester?
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

HognitiveDissonance

To quote Florida AD Jeremy Foley, 'Hiring and firing coaches is the most important role of an AD.'
I agree 100%.
If you hire the right people, everything falls into place.

Or as another great AD said once, our own Frank Broyles 'You can't pay a good coach enough, and whatever you're paying a bad coach is too much.'

Now, me talking: I think administrators are a dime a dozen, but reading people and identifying good talent is a unique skill. Jeff makes 'good, safe' hires. He doesn't strike out, but he's not going to hit a homer either. Bielema/Anderson were safe hires. I would rather see him swing for the fences, but he hasn't shown he can identify the unknown guy who can become a great one.

BigE_23

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 07, 2017, 12:57:31 am
To quote Florida AD Jeremy Foley, 'Hiring and firing coaches is the most important role of an AD.'
I agree 100%.

Or as another great AD said once, our own Frank Broyles 'You can't pay a good coach enough, and whatever you're paying a bad coach is too much.'

Now, me talking: I think administrators are a dime a dozen, but reading people and identifying good talent is a unique skill. Jeff makes 'good, safe' hires. He doesn't strike out, but he's not going to hit a homer either. Bielema/Anderson were safe hires. I would rather see him swing for the fences, but he hasn't shown he can identify the unknown guy who can become a great one.

This is a very shrewd, in-depth analysis. Maybe there's hope for this board after all!

Jeff has done well administrating the department, but he has failed to make the right hires to produce with consistent wins where it counts. He caught lightning in a bottle with Bobby P and every other time he's struck out. Let's not forget some of the near hires he's made (listed above).

Jeff is the #1 problem right now. It all starts with him and the decisions he's made.

Hogwild

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 07, 2017, 12:57:31 am
I agree 100%.

Florida fired  both Zook & Muschamp:

Zook  23-14 (16-8)
Muschamp 28-21 (17-15)

25-26 (10-22)

razorback44

Forever waiting for an anti-Long poster to answer who they would've hired instead of Bielema at the time, and how Bielema's subpar performances are Long's fault?

Wonder what we'd find at the time of the Bielema hire if we took the time to go back through some posters' history...

One of the better Boom moments I've seen on a message board. Well played.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

razorback44

Quote from: Kevin on January 06, 2017, 07:02:36 pm
At the time:
Football-art briles
Basketball-would not have listen to the masses,  Gregg Marshall,
Women's basketball- a real basketball coach, not an announcer

Just because you would have "hired" them doesn't mean they would actually come here. And for the record, Briles turned down Arkansas, Auburn and Tennessee that year so no you would not have hired him.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

LZH

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 06, 2017, 06:05:35 pm
we make money for one reason and one reason only, the SEC is based on a communistic model...all the money that comes in goes into one big pile an then is dispersed equally among the members of the SEC...if it weren't for Bama and Florida, the SEC wouldn't be ish and we'd be in the red

Were we in the red in the 1970's or 1980's?

grayhawg

Quote from: LZH on January 07, 2017, 06:42:57 am
Were we in the red in the 1970's or 1980's?
In the 70's and 80's Arkansas and Texas were the Bama and Florida ofthe SWC.

HardCore

Quote from: grayhawg on January 07, 2017, 06:57:57 am

And the Fanbase did not put up with mediocrity then, like they do now.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

LZH

Quote from: grayhawg on January 07, 2017, 06:57:57 am

My point exactly. I know we could not have built most of these facilities without SEC money. But I seriously doubt the powers-that-be would allow Arkansas to operate in the red, ever. There is too much interest in the program for the most part, and plenty of money coming from boosters and alumni.

ricepig

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on January 07, 2017, 08:28:41 am
Pantone 202

Ha! You know if you actually have a sense of humor you may have a future with this internet thingy.

HoggyCat

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 06, 2017, 02:39:26 pm
That's what simple minded fans care about, but it isn't an accurate judge on if someone is a good AD or not.

No.  That's what people care about that aren't looking for any simple reason to keep flying the rainbow flag. No one GAF about grades, foundation memberships (which is inflated by the way....  you're still counted as a member even if you haven't donated in several years, such as people like myself...  and I won't until the yankee fairy is gone), etc.

As far as money, if all the money they SAY is coming in (outside of SEC & TV revenue), then why are they having to use bonds to finance the basketball facility and the waste of money expansion to DWRRS, when it's only full half the time anyway. Selling out is one thing, filling up is another. And wait until apathy sets in after starting 2-4 this fall. Let's see how many are in the stands during the last 4 home games then.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

younghog

Quote from: BigE_23 on January 06, 2017, 04:38:30 pm
I'd love to go back and see these figures from the Pre-Long era. I wonder how much it's actually different under his leadership.

Besides, our fans deserve the credit more than he does. They contributed in spite of the on the field/court products we are getting from the major sports from the bad hires he's made

Apples and oranges.. Advise how we should receive credit?

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on January 06, 2017, 05:07:29 pm
You might want to look at what Anderson and CBB has accomplished which isn't much of anything. Both of them his hires not to mention the crazy buyout for CBB. There are LOTS of AD's around the country who could do the same things he touts BECAUSE the entire state of Arkansas supports the Razorbacks. Jeff Long is highly overrated.

Jeff Long is one of the TOP AD's in the country.. The entire Athletic program as a whole has seen monetary increases year over year and grades excelling in all sports from Track, Soccer through Football.

You can Doubt JL all you wish to.. Several Top 5's would be biting at the nails to have him..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

BassinHawg

Long's OK but, I don't think that Long was 100% responsible for all those stats listed.

I truly believe that most if not all of those could have been accomplished by any AD that was half way decent and did what he is supposed to do.

Why? Because The University of Arkansas is basically "The" game in the state. No Pro teams and other Universities cannot compete with The University of Arkansas on all fronts. Student growth was a result of the Lottery coming to Arkansas and the Lottery Scholarships, more students more student attendance. See where I am going? Stats are misleading!

Just think what a few more wins or even a championship might do.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

ricepig

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 07, 2017, 10:13:06 am
No.  That's what people care about that aren't looking for any simple reason to keep flying the rainbow flag. No one GAF about grades, foundation memberships (which is inflated by the way....  you're still counted as a member even if you haven't donated in several years, such as people like myself...  and I won't until the yankee fairy is gone), etc.

As far as money, if all the money they SAY is coming in (outside of SEC & TV revenue), then why are they having to use bonds to finance the basketball facility and the waste of money expansion to DWRRS, when it's only full half the time anyway. Selling out is one thing, filling up is another. And wait until apathy sets in after starting 2-4 this fall. Let's see how many are in the stands during the last 4 home games then.

You are, you still get to set in your seats, you still go the RF members only events?

jcbville

He's a good AD. Too many can't control their "Yankee Hate" (which I can't believe is still a thing). The athletic program is healthy, which is his job. Is anyone thrilled about how the football season ended or basketball struggles?  No. But the "Jeff Long sucks because the football team layed an egg" shite is asinine. And it's like most of those people live in a bubble.

HoggyCat

He could've hired Gundy.

As far as why B.e.r.t's failures are his fault, he should've done a little research into B.e.r.t's inflated record at Wiscy instead of getting lol bubbly inside over the love letter B.e.r.t sent him IN THE SPRING!!! (Not September, like Jeffi SAYS).

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1437532-razorbacks-sack-badgers-with-bret-bielemas-final-audible-in-wisconsin

Bret Bielema at Wisconsin

2006: 1-1 vs ranked teams. Avoided tOSU, who played in the title game.

2007: 1-4 vs ranked teams

2008: 0-4 vs ranked teams

2009: 2-2 vs ranked
teams. Avoided Penn State, who played in rose bowl.

2010: 1-2 vs ranked teams

2011: 3-1 vs ranked teams

2012: 2-3 vs ranked teams

10 wins vs ranked teams
16 losses vs ranked teams
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Redhogs

Quote from: younghog on January 07, 2017, 10:18:39 am
Apples and oranges.. Advise how we should receive credit?

Jeff Long is one of the TOP AD's in the country.. The entire Athletic program as a whole has seen monetary increases year over year and grades excelling in all sports from Track, Soccer through Football.

You can Doubt JL all you wish to.. Several Top 5's would be biting at the nails to have him..

GO HOGS
Then I wish the hell they would start biting.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 07, 2017, 11:05:10 am
He could've hired Gundy.

As far as why B.e.r.t's failures are his fault, he should've done a little research into B.e.r.t's inflated record at Wiscy instead of getting lol bubbly inside over the love letter B.e.r.t sent him IN THE SPRING!!! (Not September, like Jeffi SAYS).

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1437532-razorbacks-sack-badgers-with-bret-bielemas-final-audible-in-wisconsin

10 wins vs ranked teams
I'm shocked. No, not really. Bert is who he is.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

98hogs

That's what simple minded fans care about, but it isn't an accurate judge on if someone is a good AD or not.
The two big sports pay the bills.  Simple minded folks know this!

elviscat

I believe until we get someone who understand the Razorback Nation and it proud legacy, we are doomed. JL, handling of the 162 million north end zone project was utter disaster, 4000 seats for that kind of money. It's a slap in the face of ever Razorback fan. It was all about special boxes for the high rollers. David Pryor was dead on about the situation, I wish we had more people like him on the board.He has not made a successful hire since he been at Arkansas. Booz the clown could have done the same thing. I think our friend with all the fancy stats maybe a clown of JL, who is tooting his on horn. Any AD who made the comment that JL made after the lost to VT should be fired. Texas is looking good Jeff, they need you, we don't.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: elviscat on January 07, 2017, 12:30:36 pm
I believe until we get someone who understand the Razorback Nation and it proud legacy, we are doomed. JL, handling of the 162 million north end zone project was utter disaster, 4000 seats for that kind of money. It's a slap in the face of ever Razorback fan. It was all about special boxes for the high rollers. David Pryor was dead on about the situation, I wish we had more people like him on the board.He has not made a successful hire since he been at Arkansas. Booz the clown could have done the same thing. I think our friend with all the fancy stats maybe a clown of JL, who is tooting his on horn. Any AD who made the comment that JL made after the lost to VT should be fired. Texas is looking good Jeff, they need you, we don't.

Some of ya'll never give up or learn. The NEZ was NOT only about 4,000 new "seats". It was about premium seating, new locker rooms for games, new offices, etc. The way it was handled by the Athletic department was fine. The was it was handled by one or two specific BOT members was not.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

I will leave this alone after this. I honestly don't believe that Jeff Long cried alligator tears when he made that announcement. I truly believe he felt betrayed and thought Bobby was his friend. Of course, I can't help but think that he also knew about the galpal, but that wasn't quite the issue at the time. It is not the crime that gets you, it is the lie in the cover-up.

All Bobby had to do was say yes I will accept the pay cut and the sanctions and that would have been that. Anyone remember that rally that was supposed to have 12000-15000 people with signs screaming "keep BP edited"? When I saw that only about 200 people showed up I knew we were in trouble. At that time I didn't want him to go either.

But when the facts came out I certainly believe that he should have been fired 100%. I have been in business most of my adult life and I will be damn if anyone is going to hold me over a barrel when it is my table he is taking food off of.

People can say what they want about his record against Alabama or whoever, but Bobby Petrino could take a clipboard and whip your ass and 90% of the coaches in college football were not only aware of it, some were damn-near afraid of it.

That is why he was offered a deal but was so freakin arrogant that he never thought in a million years that he would be fired. Believe what you want to but that is the by-God truth.

ricepig

Quote from: elviscat on January 07, 2017, 12:30:36 pm

So, the price has gone up $2M, must be these inflationary times we live in. If you bothered to look up the details on the expansion, you'd know that it isn't about the 4500 additional seats. Only $46M of the $160M is directly related to the addition of the seats and suites to the NEZ.

factchecker

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 07, 2017, 11:05:10 am
He could've hired Gundy.

10 wins vs ranked teams

Updated stats vs. ranked teams (top 25) through the end of this season:

Bret Bielema: 18-34

Other SEC West coaches-

Saban: 71-29
Sumlin: 15-14
Malzahn: 11-15
Freeze: 12-18
Mullen: 7-31
Orgeron: 4-15

past Razorback coaches overall record vs. ranked opponents-

Houston Nutt (starting in 1998): 21-39
Bobby Petrino 15-27

ADD:  Mike Gundy : 21-30
Art Briles: 12-28
Gary Patterson: 23-19 .... impressive

LINK:  http://www.cfbtrivia.com/cfbt_records.php?fry=1998&thy=2016&grk=on&sasrt=WP&allop=1&altout=8&cres=1
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Athog

Good point!! +1

Little Lady Back

Quote from: LZH on January 07, 2017, 12:36:15 pm
I will leave this alone after this. I honestly don't believe that Jeff Long cried alligator tears when he made that announcement. I truly believe he felt betrayed and thought Bobby was his friend. Of course, I can't help but think that he also knew about the galpal, but that wasn't quite the issue at the time. It is not the crime that gets you, it is the lie in the cover-up.

All Bobby had to do was say yes I will accept the pay cut and the sanctions and that would have been that. Anyone remember that rally that was supposed to have 12000-15000 people with signs screaming "keep BP edited"? When I saw that only about 200 people showed up I knew we were in trouble. At that time I didn't want him to go either.

But when the facts came out I certainly believe that he should have been fired 100%. I have been in business most of my adult life and I will be damn if anyone is going to hold me over a barrel when it is my table he is taking food off of.

People can say what they want about his record against Alabama or whoever, but Bobby Petrino could take a clipboard and whip your ass and 90% of the coaches in college football were not only aware of it, some were damn-near afraid of it.

That is why he was offered a deal but was so freakin arrogant that he never thought in a million years that he would be fired. Believe what you want to but that is the by-God truth.

Agree on all points, LZH.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Hogwild

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on January 06, 2017, 10:30:01 pm

The problem is we are no longer 7th or 8th in the pecking order.

- Long started at the end of '07, since then only 3 schools have a worse conference winning percentage. No team in the West has more conference losses.
- In the CBB era, only Kentucky (8 ) and Vandy (9) have less conference wins.
- In year 4, only Ole Miss and Missouri had less conference wins.
- Past 5 seasons 12 of the 14 SEC teams have finished a season ranked, Kentucky and Arkansas are the exceptions.
- In Long's 9 years we have 2 season in which we finished the season ranked, only team with less Kentucky, zero.
- Currently, we have the 10th best recruiting class in the conference, 6th in the West.
- Our Football's APR ranking highest ranking was 10th in the conference, and that was when we only had 12 teams in the SEC.  The last three releases placed us 12th (2016), 14th (2015), 13th (2014). 
I'm glad to see the CBB is taking steps to improve our rates, but this is a rolling 4 year average, and through most of Long's tenure we have been at the bottom.