Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

With 9 regular season games left, who do we beat to get to 20 wins?

Started by mckinneyhog5, January 31, 2018, 12:02:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mckinneyhog5

Feb 3   @ Louisiana State Tigers                
Feb 6   South Carolina Gamecocks                
Feb 10   Vanderbilt Commodores             
Feb 13   @ Mississippi Rebels             
Feb 17   Texas A&M Aggies                
Feb 20   Kentucky Wildcats                
Feb 24   @ Alabama Crimson Tide                  
Feb 27   Auburn Tigers                
Mar 3   @ Missouri Tigers 

I see 3 wins..where do the other 2 come from?
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

cardinalhawg

As of now, I can see about anything happening during the rest of the games and it not necessarily going in a home and away type pattern in terms of wins and losses.  I could see the wins coming from anywhere and the losses coming from anywhere.  I know most of the road losses have been ugly and that Houston game set the impression, but for the most part we have played a stronger conference road schedule so far while pulling out close wins at home.  I feel like we are being hurt by a lot of the same things both at home an the road, but are just getting away with it more at home while pulling out close wins.

I feel like Oklahoma State, especially down a couple of players, would be comparable to teams like Bucknell, Fresno State, and Connecticut, but we have regressed from winning games more comfortably against comparable opponents at home to barely pulling games out or losing as in the case against LSU.  I think teams are strategizing very well against us, so until we have consistent answers for that, it is going to be a difficult road of crapshoot type games mixed with ugly losses.

code red

I got a suspicion....we collapse epically.  Gafford never gets touches.  The free throw shooting us abysmal.  Grab butt defense and no one slowing down dribble penatration.  Same ole crap.  8-9 seed at best.  1 and done.  Again.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

riccoar

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 31, 2018, 12:02:22 am
Feb 27   Auburn Tigers                

Better win out at home or they don't get to 20 regular season.

jst01

Feb 3   @ Louisiana State Tigers -loss on road          
Feb 6   South Carolina Gamecocks  -win              
Feb 10   Vanderbilt Commodores  -win           
Feb 13   @ Mississippi Rebels  -loss on road       
Feb 17   Texas A&M Aggies -loss to bigger and better players           
Feb 20   Kentucky Wildcats  -loss bc they will be rolling by this game              
Feb 24   @ Alabama Crimson Tide  -loss on road                
Feb 27   Auburn Tigers  -loss to a team fighting for Conf crown              
Mar 3   @ Missouri Tigers  -loss on road

GA reddiehog

Where do you see 3 wins??  If something don't change, they will be lucky to get one win.

Letsroll1200

Letsroll1200

jst01

Letsroll1200

Quote from: jst01 on January 31, 2018, 06:58:09 am
Honestly his prediction is almost as logical as your 6-3 prediction.

Arkansas will win the next 3 games. Will go 3-3 to finish the next 6 games.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: jst01 on January 31, 2018, 06:58:09 am
Honestly his prediction is almost as logical as your 6-3 prediction.

It's very logical if you follow the sport and not a Hogville keyboard hater. LSU just suspended or kicked off 3 or 4 players.

South Carolina guard play is not strong. Will get some turnovers at home. Vandy is scary because they still can shoot the ball. We don't defend the 3 ball well all season. Three very winnable games.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 31, 2018, 07:00:18 am
Arkansas will win the next 3 games. Will go 3-3 to finish the next 6 games.

Wasn't very long ago someone on here claimed we'd win the next 10 in a row, too.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

jst01

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 31, 2018, 07:07:23 am
It's very logical if you follow the sport and not a Hogville keyboard hater. LSU just suspended or kicked off 3 or 4 players.

South Carolina guard play is not strong. Will get some turnovers at home. Vandy is scary because they still can shoot the ball. We don't defend the 3 ball well all season. Three very winnable games.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did win the next 3, they should.  But convince me that this team won't finish the last five games going 1- 4.  Because that's what I am seeing with this schedule, in a best case scenario.

stan the man

riccoar

Suspended 4 players.  They are bench players.  2 of the players are for the rest of the season.  Those two barely play.  The other two will be back for Arkansas.  They only missed last nights game with Tennessee.

So, in conclusion, Arkansas will face the same guys that beat them in Fayetteville.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_4a32f718-054d-11e8-9342-eb4ca17b9d71.html

Letsroll1200

Quote from: jst01 on January 31, 2018, 07:11:06 am
It wouldn't surprise me if they did win the next 3, they should.  But convince me that this team won't finish the last five games going 1- 4.  Because that's what I am seeing with this schedule, in a best case scenario.

Texas A&M will be tough because we're no match for Davis and Williams. However, their guard play gives us a chance.
Kentucky is not Kentucky.
Missouri lack of guard play gives the Hogs a chance. Auburn is a home game.

riccoar

Like I said, better protect the home court.  It's the only sure shot to 20.  LSU is a loss come Saturday.

hogsanity

Feb 27   Auburn Tigers                

LSu is up and down like the Hogs, it is a winnable road game.

The problem is OM & Aub like to run, so there goes any advantage the Hogs had in those games. Plus OM is on the road. KY is at home, but they are just more talented and they are starting to learn how to use that talent. SC is not very good and it is a home game. Vandy is bad and it is at home too.

I'd say wins over LSu, SC, Vandy

Losses to Bama, Ky, and Aub

toss ups, A&M at home, and @ om & Mizzu
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SemperHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 31, 2018, 09:18:22 am

The problem is OM & Aub like to run, so there goes any advantage the Hogs had in those games. Plus OM is on the road. KY is at home, but they are just more talented and they are starting to learn how to use that talent. SC is not very good and it is a home game. Vandy is bad and it is at home too.

You serious Clark???

They just needed a miracle to keep from losing to the worst team in the league in OT at Rupp last night.

hogsanity

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 31, 2018, 09:29:06 am
You serious Clark???

They just needed a miracle to keep from losing to the worst team in the league in OT at Rupp last night.

Yea and Sat they went on the road and came back from 17 down to beat WVU. I said they are starting to learn how to use that talent. I did not say they were great every night. Dont have to be great to beat the Hogs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on January 31, 2018, 09:18:22 am

So you can see 6-3?

southeasthog

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 31, 2018, 09:29:06 am
You serious Clark???

And went to West Virginia and won at their place.

Tejano Jawg

I admit I'm having a hard time being optimistic, after what I've seen from us. We have proven we can play pretty solid, fight until the end—or totally collapse. As well as looking sluggish from the opening tip.

I'd like to say we win 3 of our 5 home games. (That may be too ambitious, 2 is probably a better guess.) Did you see Vandy last night, playing in Rupp?

On the road, LSU killed us in Bud Walton. And Ole Miss and Mizzou were narrow wins. It's hard to say we do better than 2-2.

So I've got 4, maybe 5, wins left.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

yocdaddy

If we implode and have a losing SEC record, we will not make the tournament unless we get to the SEC Tournament Championship game.  I thought we would get to 21 regular season wins, maybe 22.  I don't think it is probable at this point. 

5 wins gets us to 20 wins and a 9-9 conference record.  I am hoping there are 5 more out there, but I can't see them right now.  Our defense is really bad, teams get whatever they want against us.  Our offensive style counts on us making a lot of tough shots to be effective. 
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 31, 2018, 09:38:08 am
So you can see 6-3?

Sure. I think 5-4 or 4-5 is more likely, but 6-3 would not shock me. 3-6 would shock me.

WillsWorld

I say 4-5
We should be South Carolina and Vandy at home easily although Vandy almost beat Kentucky last night.
Kentucky and A&M are tough but at home and I feel like the Bud Walton crowds will win those games for us.
I think Auburn is just too good right now and nothing is stopping them right now.

Definite wins: SCar, Vandy
Losses: LSU, Bama, Mizzou, Auburn
Toss ups: Ole Miss, A&M and Kentucky at home

Mo_Better_Hogs

I kinda top out at a 4-5 record. The reverse could happen if we really click somehow. The problem I still have, when we decide to be bad, we're REALLY bad.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 31, 2018, 06:54:25 am
6 wins at minimum on that schedule.

If you are that confident you should take it to Vegas.  You could win some serious money if you are right.  I would be to nervous to bet on this team because we only have 2 pretty reliable scorers.  Where do we get our other points?

raz1965

If you know the outcome , you can get rich betting in vegas. It's easy to say this an that but like previous posters said if you know who's gonna win , go bet, however I would advise against doing so.

hobhog

Then we should definitely wn Saturday. Then again, OSU should have beat us with half a team at home.

There is just something off with this team. Too talented and experienced at guard position to be this bad.....

OkieBack

Quote from: code red on January 31, 2018, 06:15:09 am
I got a suspicion....we collapse epically.  Gafford never gets touches.  The free throw shooting us abysmal.  Grab butt defense and no one slowing down dribble penatration.  Same ole crap.  8-9 seed at best.  1 and done.  Again.

Now here's some optimism!

Hogsfan1981

People are overreacting which is normal for fans of football who live and die with each loss. We would have to completely fall apart not to make the tournament.

People overly upset either don't like Mike or don't understand that this team was always going to have some bad nights. These guys are not world beaters.

People just got so hyped from non conference play and a lot still don't know or won't admit that the sec is really strong this year. Arguably 2nd best.

We will lose some more but we make the tournament...all that is left is what seed it will be.

But understand that making it to the tournament or even even getting a win will not stop people. However, it would get a less troll filled off-season.

This team has done better than I ever thought they would have.

Mainly through senior play but also due to the freshmen playing out of his mind early in the year and catching teams off guard. This team has also showed a lot of toughness at times and like most teams in the top 50 when they are playing their best they are impossible to stop.

I would have liked to steal some more wins and like with any team they have things to work on. But as for now I don't see the cause for the melodramatic threads and posts full of salty fans.

At least wait until we don't make the tournament before you meltdown. That way we can take you more serious.

When you do it after every loss it loses it's effectiveness.

Everyone hates to lose but please learn to handle the L better.

If every team handled it like fans they would quit after the first loss every year.

OkieBack

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on January 31, 2018, 03:14:47 pm
I would have liked to steal some more wins and like with any team they have things to work on. But as for now I don't see the cause for the melodramatic threads and posts full of salty fans.

At least wait until we don't make the tournament before you meltdown. That way we can take you more serious.

Here here! This thread does not allow reasonable, sane comments.  This thread is dedicated to the ousting of one Mike Anderson.  He hasn't won any games at Arkansas, don't you know?  Lol.

hobhog

People are overreacting which is normal for fans of football who live and die with each loss. We would have to completely fall apart not to make the tournament.

People overly upset either don't like Mike or don't understand that this team was always going to have some bad nights. These guys are not world beaters.

People just got so hyped from non conference play and a lot still don't know or won't admit that the sec is really strong this year. Arguably 2nd best.

We will lose some more but we make the tournament...all that is left is what seed it will be.

But understand that making it to the tournament or even even getting a win will not stop people. However, it would get a less troll filled off-season.

Mainly through senior play but also due to the freshmen playing out of his mind early in the year and catching teams off guard. This team has also showed a lot of toughness at times and like most teams in the top 50 when they are playing their best they are impossible to stop.

Long way of saying "this is the Razorback basketball program and it is mediocre. Accept that it will always be that way and take your occasional NCAA appearance and enjoy it."

The anger you are hearing is from fans who want to be relevant and occasionally top 10. Top 40 is not good enough to hold down the 'trolls", and it shouldn't be.

If every team handled it like fans they would quit after the first loss every year.

Long way of saying take it like man. This is our world now.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Feb 3   @ Louisiana State Tigers - L
Feb 6   South Carolina Gamecocks - W               
Feb 10   Vanderbilt Commodores - W     
Feb 13   @ Mississippi Rebels - L   
Feb 17   Texas A&M Aggies - L         
Feb 20   Kentucky Wildcats - L           
Feb 24   @ Alabama Crimson Tide - L             
Feb 27   Auburn Tigers - W (maybe)
Mar 3   @ Missouri Tigers - L

We've already won our game on the road this season, and the margin for victory at home is so slim, that we are going to get hammered by at least 2 teams at BWA.

Tell me how this is wrong?

What I do know is that we have reached the point in Arkansas basketball where losing (by massive margins) to teams like Auburn, LSU, A&M, Florida, Alabama, Ole Miss, & Mizzou on a consistent basis is perfectly acceptable.  Doesn't happen every year, but happens way more than not.  It has also become acceptable to miss the tournament more than making it.  Just see the last 15 years for proof & data.

If you would've told me in the year 2000 that this is what Hog basketball would amount to, I would've sent you to the nut house.

A once proud program that I can't see getting better in the foreseeable future.  Sure, tell me "recruits" are coming to save the day... we can't even do anything with 7 SENIORS!

bvillepig

This team could win them all or lose them all. That's how fine the line is.  I think we will lose to Kentucky and the rest are toss ups.

Every team has equal or better talent than us overall except for our two guards which are as good or better than most. If we get good defensive effort a don't have lapses we will finish over .500 in conference. Our style gives us a chance in all of them.

LumberBacks

Quote from: yocdaddy on January 31, 2018, 10:11:49 am
If we implode and have a losing SEC record, we will not make the tournament unless we get to the SEC Tournament Championship game.  I thought we would get to 21 regular season wins, maybe 22.  I don't think it is probable at this point. 

5 wins gets us to 20 wins and a 9-9 conference record.  I am hoping there are 5 more out there, but I can't see them right now.  Our defense is really bad, teams get whatever they want against us.  Our offensive style counts on us making a lot of tough shots to be effective.
This team started trending downward after the TN win.  That was a good win against a team that I initially thought was over rated but has turned out to be solid.  With the play of late, the appearance of simply being lost on offense, the inconsistency, and a weak bench, I don't see this team getting more than 20 wins before the SECT.  Unless we get to the championship game, I see too many SEC teams in front of the Hogs that will get a nod to the dance.  NCAA will only take so many from the SEC.  Aubbie, KY, FL and Tenner are going to get in.  After that, Arkansas, UGA, Bama and SC are possibilities.  Lunardi has the Hogs at #9 seed right now.  But if they go 3-6 or even 4-5 over the next 9 prior to the SECT, they will draw a poor seed in the SECT and may be one-and-done.  Hello NIT if that happens.  And with an inexperienced team next year, the would likely spell 2 dances in 9 years.  Surely that would do it for CMA in Fayetteville.

SemperHawg

The entire league is schizo this year... Kentucky goes on the road and has and impressive win against a ranked West Virginia and then comes home and gets bailed out to beat Vandy in OT.  Florida can beat us as home but can't beat a Georgia team on the road that we did.  I know we want to look inward and point out all our deficiencies, but the bottom line is the whole conference has them across the board.

We could win out, or lose out and neither would surprise me, 5 or 6 wins going out seems about reasonable.  I also think we get one more road win somewhere in the back end of the schedule.

hawganatic

20 wins doesn't get us into the tournament.  Think a better question is do we have enough wins left on the schedule to get us into the Dance...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on January 09, 2018, 12:40:13 am

We were great for a short time in history. I don't think those days will ever happen again.

Some can't accept this.  Doesn't matter if you agree or not and it doesn't make them haters.  It makes them passionate fans who believe something different from you. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: gguillo on January 31, 2018, 03:27:32 pm

If you would've told me in the year 2000 that this is what Hog basketball would amount to, I would've sent you to the nut house.

As late as 2007, we fired a coach 5 seasons in after back to back trips to the NCAAT and most of the team returning for the next season.  A coach who took over a program when the university was being sued by its former coach for racism and had a roster of:

Modica
Lane
Satchell
Gomez
Baker
Mukubu
Eddins
Sullivan

He had to get a couple of late additions to even be as competitive as we were to win 9 games that first season.

Wasn't good enough.  Just getting to the NCAAT wasn't good enough still in 2007.   

Hindsight of course tells us things were not good behind the scenes and a change needed to happen.  But they aren't the reason the firing happened.

You mention 2000.  It's what we have returned to in a sense.  We're at that 1997 - 2001 level.  And this is why the infighting will not stop.  That is good enough for some and not for others. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

niels_boar

Oh, no, we completely suck again.  Never mind that we just won four of five, including a win in Athens where UF just lost by double digits.  I guess White doesn't know about those fundamental offenses either that could just run those Dawgs out of their gym.

You folks may want to recall that we got blitzed in the Big 12 challenge last year at this time and then lost two of three.  Those losses included a road loss to a Mizzou team that was worse than any team in the SEC this season and a miserable loss to Vandy at home.  Amazingly our players and coaches didn't roll up into a ball and hide under the covers until Spring.  A week later they beat a FF team on their own court after edging a bad LSU team on the road.  Next stop was the SECT CG.  Then with a win over a very good Seton Hall team and a royal screw job against the eventual NCs they managed our most impressive performance in the NCAAT since 1996.

We aren't going to sprint to 26 wins this season, but we don't have to either with this schedule.  Anybody who believes that they know what will happen in the SEC in the next month and a half has an over inflated view of their prognostication abilities or has never watched a college basketball season from start to finish. 
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

OkieBack

Quote from: niels_boar on January 31, 2018, 05:24:22 pm
We aren't going to sprint to 26 wins this season, but we don't have to either with this schedule.  Anybody who believes that they know what will happen in the SEC in the next month and a half has an over inflated view of their prognostication abilities or has never watched a college basketball season from start to finish.

Quiet.  The negative progs know all.  MA and the men's team know nothing about basketball.  In order to be any good we have to win AT LEAST 26 games, win the SEC tournament, AND possibly get to the final four in the NCAAT.  Anything short of that...we suck again.   :puke:

Occams Razorback

My thoughts (limited as they are) are that we will get revenge on A&M when they come to Bud Walton ....... but that may be the only winnable game we have left
If it makes crumbs, it's probably not good for you.

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 31, 2018, 03:56:37 pm

You mention 2000.  It's what we have returned to in a sense.  We're at that 1997 - 2001 level.  And this is why the infighting will not stop.  That is good enough for some and not for others. 

My issue is the why it is good enough for some. It is good enough for some because of who the coach is.

Dirty

Quote from: hogsanity on January 31, 2018, 09:35:30 am
Yea and Sat they went on the road and came back from 17 down to beat WVU. I said they are starting to learn how to use that talent. I did not say they were great every night. Dont have to be great to beat the Hogs.

So Ky doesn't have to great every night but we do?

Dirty

Hawg Red

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 31, 2018, 07:10:32 am

Wasn't very long ago someone on here claimed we'd win the next 10 in a row, too.

And?

One claim was unreasonable and one isn't. Use your brain.

Dirty

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 31, 2018, 02:35:52 pm
If you are that confident you should take it to Vegas.  You could win some serious money if you are right.  I would be to nervous to bet on this team because we only have 2 pretty reliable scorers.  Where do we get our other points?

If you are so confident on the hogs losing, then bet on the other teams!

hogsanity

Quote from: Dirty on February 01, 2018, 09:22:40 am
So Ky doesn't have to great every night but we do?

Well, looking at the sec season so far, yea, the Hogs have to be darn near perfect to win. The have 4 sec wins, by a total of 11 pts. In 3 of those 4 they shot at or over 50%, iirc, including at or over 50% from 3pt range. So yea, the Hogs have to be great - for Arkansas - to win. Kentucky- for what talent they have - does not have to be great to win.