Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MLB pickem 2015

Started by GolfNut57, March 30, 2015, 11:49:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

Yep. It's that time of year again. Let's see your picks. Divisional winners and wildcards for each league along with postseason winning teams.

AL East;     BlueJays
AL Central;  ChiSox
AL West;    Mariners

WC's;         Red Sox
                 Royals

WC winner;  Red Sox
AL playoffs; M's over the Red Sox
                 Jays over ChiSox
                 M's over the Jays

NL East;      Nats
NL Central;  Cards
NL West;     Giants

WCs;          Dodgers
                 Pirates

WC winner;  Pirates
NL playoffs  Giants over Cards
                 Nats over Pirates
                 Nats over Giants

World Series;  Mariners over the Nationals- 7 games
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

jrulz83

AL East: Orioles
AL Central: Royals
AL West: Athletics

AL Wild Cards: Angels, Tigers

AL WC Winner: Angels

ALDS: Orioles over Angels
ALDS: Athletics over Royals

ALCS: Orioles over Athletics

NL East: Nationals
NL Central: Cardinals
NL West: Dodgers

NL Wild Cards: Padres, Marlins

NL WC Winner: Marlins

ALDS: Cardinals over Marlins
ALDS: Dodgers over Nationals

ALCS: Cardinals over Dodgers

World Series: Cardinals vs Orioles

In determining the winner of the "Battle of the Birds" we have to use a scientific approach. Let's start by looking at the respective mascots range maps, first the Orioles:

and the Cardinals:

As you can see, the Oriole has a far wider range, but this is a bit of a facade as it includes his breeding range as well. If we cut it down to just a permanent range, the Cardinal is the true victor. But it goes deeper than that, when the colder weather of October begins to set in the Oriole will begin his southward migration to the warmer locales of Mexico and points south, turning his back on his team at its' greatest time of need. The Cardinal on the other hand will stay true to his range map and bring his team success even through the coldest temps that October has to offer.

Therefore, the World Series Champion of 2015 will be the Cardinals.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

ucahogfan

April 03, 2015, 10:04:05 pm #2 Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:00:16 pm by ucahogfan
AL East - Boston Red Sox
AL Central - Cleveland Indians
AL West - Los Angeles Angels

AL WC 1 - Baltimore Orioles
AL WC 2 - Seattle Mariners

AL WC Winner - Mariners

ALDS Winners - Angels and Red Sox
ALCS Winner - Angels

NL East - Washington Nationals
NL Central - Pittsburgh Pirates
NL West - Los Angeles Dodgers

NL WC 1 - Miami Marlins
NL WC 2 - St. Louis Cardinals

NL WC Winner - Marlins

NLDS Winners - Nationals and Dodgers
NLCS Winner - Nationals

WS - Nationals over Angels

The Nationals rotation is just filthy.  It is so deep that a guy who threw close to 200 innings with an ERA around 3 (if I remember correctly) last year is being pushed to the pen.  Their #5 guy Doug Fister would be a #2-3 on just about every other staff in the game.  This is really a do or die year for the Nationals as a lot of their good players will enter FA and probably sign for serious money.

I'll take this a step further and add some more categories:

AL MVP - Mike Trout
AL Cy Young - Chris Sale
AL ROTY - Steven Souza (Tampa Bay Rays)

NL MVP - Andrew McCutcheon (Goldsmchidt might be better but the DBacks are terrible)
NL Cy Young - Clayton Kershaw
NL ROTY - Kris Bryant

clutch

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 03, 2015, 10:04:05 pm
AL East - Boston Red Sox
AL Central - Cleveland Indians
AL West - Los Angeles Angels

AL WC 1 - Baltimore Orioles
AL WC 2 - Detroit Tigers

AL WC Winner - Detroit Tigers

ALDS Winners - Angels and Red Sox
ALCS Winner - Angels

NL East - Washington Nationals
NL Central - Pittsburgh Pirates
NL West - Los Angeles Dodgers

NL WC 1 - Miami Marlins
NL WC 2 - St. Louis Cardinals

NL WC Winner - Marlins

NLDS Winners - Nationals and Dodgers
NLCS Winner - Nationals

WS - Nationals over Angels

The Nationals rotation is just filthy.  It is so deep that a guy who threw close to 200 innings with an ERA around 3 (if I remember correctly) last year is being pushed to the pen.  Their #5 guy Doug Fister would be a #2-3 on just about every other staff in the game.  This is really a do or die year for the Nationals as a lot of their good players will enter FA and probably sign for serious money.

I'll take this a step further and add some more categories:

AL MVP - Mike Trout
AL Cy Young - Chris Sale
AL ROTY - Steven Souza (Tampa Bay Rays)

NL MVP - Andrew McCutcheon (Goldsmchidt might be better but the DBacks are terrible)
NL Cy Young - Clayton Kershaw
NL ROTY - Kris Bryant

I like the Nationals pick. They should be sick. Think I like the O's or Indians in the AL for some reason though. O's were so close last year and should be hungry. About time for the Sox to go crazy again though.

Huge Cards fan, but I'm nervous about them getting in this year. The Pirates are going to be so tough. Have a feeling it might get hard to get a WC spot coming out of the central for quite a few years to come. Cubs are so close to being really good, can't ever count the reds out and the pirates and Cards look to be strong for a while too.

yraciv

AL East- Red Sox
AL Central- Tigers
AL West- Athletics

AL Wildcards- Indians
                 - Blue Jays

AL WC Winner- Indians

ALDS- Red Sox over Indians
       - Tigers over Athletics

ALCS- Red Sox over Tigers

NL East- Nationals
NL Central- Cardinals
NL West- Padres

NL Wildcards- Cubs
                 - Dodgers

NL WC winner- Dodgers

NLDS- Dodgers over Nationals
       - Cardinals over Padres

NLCS- Cardinals over Dodgers

World Series- Cardinals over Red Sox in 6

AL MVP - Jose Abreu
AL Cy Young - David Price
AL ROTY - Micah Johnson (White Sox)

NL MVP - Andrew McCutcheon
NL Cy Young - Stephen Strasburg
NL ROTY - Kris Bryant

ucahogfan

Quote from: clutch on April 04, 2015, 01:34:11 am
I like the Nationals pick. They should be sick. Think I like the O's or Indians in the AL for some reason though. O's were so close last year and should be hungry. About time for the Sox to go crazy again though.

Huge Cards fan, but I'm nervous about them getting in this year. The Pirates are going to be so tough. Have a feeling it might get hard to get a WC spot coming out of the central for quite a few years to come. Cubs are so close to being really good, can't ever count the reds out and the pirates and Cards look to be strong for a while too.
The Nationals should be a 100 win team because of their rotation and their lineup is pretty deep as well.  The big question will be if they can remain healthy or not.  For as good as a lot of their players are, players like Rendon, Ryan Zimmerman, and Harper have an injury history so will they be able to play 130 games and get 600 ABs?

The Nationals also have the chance to play the Phillies for 19 games and the Braves for 19 games.  I'm a huge Braves fan, but we are in some weird kind of re-building mode while also appearing to try to be competitive by signing players like Gomes and Markakis.

I think the Cubs are a year away.  Signing Lester was a good start, but their pitching depth in the minors is lacking.  They have the best collection of young position players, but they need to shop some of them to bring in more depth in the rotation.

GolfNut57

would a moderator please replace last years pickem thread with this one by pinning this one at the top of the forum to help avoid confusion? Thanks.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

lefty08

AL East- Boston
AL Central- Tigers
AL West-  Mariners

AL Wildcards-  Orioles
                 -  As

AL WC Winner-  Orioles

ALDS-  Tigers over Orioles
       .      Red Sox over Mariners

ALCS- Tigers over Red Sox

NL East- Nationals
NL Central-  Cardinals
NL West-  Giants

NL Wildcards-  Dodgers
                 -  Cubs

NL WC winner-  Cubs

NLDS-  Nationals over Cubs
       -  Giants over Cardinals

NLCS-  Nationals over Giants

World Series-  Tigers over Nationals in 5

AL MVP -  Mike Trout
AL Cy Young -  Felix Hernandez
AL ROTY -   Mookie Betts

NL MVP -  Anthony  Rizzo
NL Cy Young -  Stephen Strassburg
NL ROTY - Kris Bryant
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged